The source for SPECTRE's plot? (Spoilers)

BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,057Chief of Staff
As we know now, there are more screenwriters credited for SPECTRE than usual, but there's one more name that I think should also get a credit.... JK Rowling.

Here's my case:

As the film opens, we find that M
aa_old_man_3.jpg
is under political pressure, as a bureaucrat with powerful government connections
AA_OLD_MAN_2.jpg
is insidiously working to usurp his position, and eventually succeeds. M still has staff loyal to him
AA_OLD_MAN_6.jpg
and in the end returns to his post.

Meanwhile his top agent
aa_old_man_4.jpg
digs into his own past, and uncovers that a dreaded adversary is in fact...
AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg
whose schemes range over several stories and is behind all his pain.

JAMES BOND And The Order Of The Phoenix?

As the film opens, we find that Dumbledore
AA_OLD_MAN.jpg
is under political pressure, as a bureaucrat with powerful government connections
AA_OLD_MAN_2.jpg
is insidiously working to usurp his position, and eventually succeeds. Dumbledore still has staff loyal to him
aa_old_man_3.jpg
and in the end returns to his post.

Meanwhile his top prodigy
aa_old_man_4.jpg
digs into his own past, and discovers that a dreaded adversary is in fact...
AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg
whose schemes range over several stories and is behind all his pain.

Both stories have chase scenes and safe houses in London, both have the protagonist looking into his own past to drive the plot, and of course both star Ralph Fiennes in a central role. It's the parallels between Denbigh and Umbridge that are most alike, very strikingly so.

AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    8-)
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    I am missing the Austin Powers ripoffs mentioned :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    Excellent Observation {[] {[]
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) {[]
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I don't think this is far from the mark at all. All of Craig's Bonds have liberally borrowed from other contemporary hits.
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Love it :))

All great stories follow the same pattern(s).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monomyth
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) Very True
    I remember reading years ago that there are really only seven or so stories and everything else
    is either a variation, or combination of these elements. :D ( There really is Nothing New ) ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    :)) Very True
    I remember reading years ago that there are really only seven or so stories and everything else
    is either a variation, or combination of these elements. :D ( There really is Nothing New ) ;)

That's Joseph Campbell's theory, expounded most famously in The Hero with a Thousand Faces. No, there is very little out there that's original--there are just variations, and it's the way something is variated that makes it interesting!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,057Chief of Staff
    :) Glad you liked that, guys. For more on Joseph Campbell, The Hero with a Thousand Faces, and the monomyth please see http://www.ajb007.co.uk/topic/44307/subtext-and-themes/. I did think on writing about SP in that thread, but it's main theme is hardly subtext thanks to the message displayed immediately after the gunbarrel.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    {[]
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) you have hit the nail on the head!
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    All art borrows from all other art.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,988Quartermasters
    Gala Brand wrote:
    All art borrows from all other art.

No doubt! As a writer of 1940s hardboiled private eye novels, I can attest that there's nothing new under the sun B-) It's all about what one does with what one borrows. Joseph Campbell was brilliant in his analysis: "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" and "The Power of Myth" are favourites of mine.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM