3,251

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

I would assume New Zealand but who knows? I know Indy is a member here. Maybe he can fill us in!

3,252

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Could someone please tell were I could find a budget version of the five button polo shirt that Bond wears in The Living Daylights?
Polo's are my go to, causal but nice wear and I had always liked this shirt from one of my favorite movies in the entire series.

3,253

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Canoe, could I recommend this sweater for the skyfall one?

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/SWT0003-MD


I feel like the color shows best in the last picture and it seems really close. Might order it by the end of the month, if so I'll review it along with a few other alternatives from your site I've bought.

3,254

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

PPK 7.65mm: I just did a big hunt for polos for today's post. And I honestly didn't find anything with that long 5 button placket. Not saying there isn't one out there! But it didn't show up my searches. I'll keep my eyes open. And N.Peal will have one as part of their Bond collection (doubt it will be what many of us consider "budget"  ajb007/biggrin )

Timeyswirls: Nice find! I keep forgetting that Tie Bar has clothing. I'll try and include it in an upcoming post with credit to you!

Some folks have already written me about the Patterson project. And a few had questions about the leather that would be used. I thought it would be best to share my thoughts on that topic early.

As I said in the original post about this project, I am not sure that a pre-distressed (or "antique") leather will be available. I have asked them to look into it. But most likely, the jacket will be available in an un-distressed (i.e. new looking) black and dark brown full grain vegetable tanned semi-aniline calf leather. The skins used will be Grade A.

Personally I am more than happy going with the un-distressed leather for two reasons. First, I just enjoy breaking in my leather jackets myself from a new state (I feel the same about my jeans). I like the character the jacket develops to come from me. And second, in my experience, unless the distressing is done really well, it just ends up looking cheap. Like the leather has been painted. Here's an example of what I mean.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1444/4230/products/s-l1600_905805bc-ea9d-4a66-a8da-bb6edc9471e9.jpg?v=1475007892

Speaking only for myself, I'd hate a jacket that looks like that. I do think there are some decent pre-distressed jackets out there from companies like Schott, Falcon, Aero, Ironheart, Lewis Leathers, etc. But they usually start around $800 and go up from there. And (at least to my eye) they still look kind of fake. For example, here's a design that is very close to the Patterson from Simmons Bilt (made in Scotland) that starts at 520 GBPs.

http://www.simmonsbilt.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/2/d2_10.jpg

It's a lot better than the first one. But with pre-distressing I always feel like the "fade" spots are in the wrong place. It just doesn't look natural to me.

There are some advantages going to with a full grain, veg-tanned, semi-aniline calf leather. First, calf leather is slightly heavier than lamb, so it can develop some good creases and wear to give it character. But it's still relatively soft, so the break in time is more like a couple of months instead of years (like it would be with something like horsehide and heavy cow).

Second, full grain semi-aniline leather has some protection against water and liquid stains (it has a light waxy top coat), but still allows the natural grain of the leather to show. So the color will look relatively uniform at the start, but it definitely won't look like it's made out of cheap shiny pleather! Here are examples of full grain calf semi-aniline leathers in black and brown to give you an idea of what it looks like:

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Black-full-grain-semi-aniline-leather.jpg

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Brown-full-grain-semi-aniline-leather.jpg

As that top coat wears off with wearing the jacket, you can really start to develop more fades at the creases, etc. The ideal (for me) would be to go with a full grain aniline leather. But those jackets usually start at a minimum of $1000 and go up from there and they require a lot of maintenance.

Sorry for the essay on this! ajb007/insane But I wanted you guys to know I did my homework before I started talking to anyone about the project. At least I didn't start explaining waxed cotton threads and zippers!  ajb007/biggrin  Anyway, as I said, personally I like the idea of a new leather jacket needing a bit of work to break in and develop character. But I also know that won't be for everyone.

I'll keep everyone updated on any progress I have with this project!

Cheers!  ajb007/cheers
John

3,255

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

And just in case you haven't had enough of me talking about leather jackets ...  ajb007/shifty

New post: 4 Bond Leather Jackets for Fall and Winter

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2019 … -for-fall/

I do look at alternatives for the Menlo in this one. But I also tried to look at some jackets that I've been ignoring lately. Including some shearling!!

Have a great Sunday!
John

3,256

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

canoe2 wrote:

PPK 7.65mm: I just did a big hunt for polos for today's post. And I honestly didn't find anything with that long 5 button placket. Not saying there isn't one out there! But it didn't show up my searches. I'll keep my eyes open. And N.Peal will have one as part of their Bond collection (doubt it will be what many of us consider "budget"  ajb007/biggrin )

Timeyswirls: Nice find! I keep forgetting that Tie Bar has clothing. I'll try and include it in an upcoming post with credit to you!

Some folks have already written me about the Patterson project. And a few had questions about the leather that would be used. I thought it would be best to share my thoughts on that topic early.

As I said in the original post about this project, I am not sure that a pre-distressed (or "antique") leather will be available. I have asked them to look into it. But most likely, the jacket will be available in an un-distressed (i.e. new looking) black and dark brown full grain vegetable tanned semi-aniline calf leather. The skins used will be Grade A.

Personally I am more than happy going with the un-distressed leather for two reasons. First, I just enjoy breaking in my leather jackets myself from a new state (I feel the same about my jeans). I like the character the jacket develops to come from me. And second, in my experience, unless the distressing is done really well, it just ends up looking cheap. Like the leather has been painted. Here's an example of what I mean.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1444/4230/products/s-l1600_905805bc-ea9d-4a66-a8da-bb6edc9471e9.jpg?v=1475007892

Speaking only for myself, I'd hate a jacket that looks like that. I do think there are some decent pre-distressed jackets out there from companies like Schott, Falcon, Aero, Ironheart, Lewis Leathers, etc. But they usually start around $800 and go up from there. And (at least to my eye) they still look kind of fake. For example, here's a design that is very close to the Patterson from Simmons Bilt (made in Scotland) that starts at 520 GBPs.

http://www.simmonsbilt.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/2/d2_10.jpg

It's a lot better than the first one. But with pre-distressing I always feel like the "fade" spots are in the wrong place. It just doesn't look natural to me.

There are some advantages going to with a full grain, veg-tanned, semi-aniline calf leather. First, calf leather is slightly heavier than lamb, so it can develop some good creases and wear to give it character. But it's still relatively soft, so the break in time is more like a couple of months instead of years (like it would be with something like horsehide and heavy cow).

Second, full grain semi-aniline leather has some protection against water and liquid stains (it has a light waxy top coat), but still allows the natural grain of the leather to show. So the color will look relatively uniform at the start, but it definitely won't look like it's made out of cheap shiny pleather! Here are examples of full grain calf semi-aniline leathers in black and brown to give you an idea of what it looks like:

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Black-full-grain-semi-aniline-leather.jpg

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Brown-full-grain-semi-aniline-leather.jpg

As that top coat wears off with wearing the jacket, you can really start to develop more fades at the creases, etc. The ideal (for me) would be to go with a full grain aniline leather. But those jackets usually start at a minimum of $1000 and go up from there and they require a lot of maintenance.

Sorry for the essay on this! ajb007/insane But I wanted you guys to know I did my homework before I started talking to anyone about the project. At least I didn't start explaining waxed cotton threads and zippers!  ajb007/biggrin  Anyway, as I said, personally I like the idea of a new leather jacket needing a bit of work to break in and develop character. But I also know that won't be for everyone.

I'll keep everyone updated on any progress I have with this project!

Cheers!  ajb007/cheers
John


Hi John.
Is there a thread where I can be kept updated on this project (Patterson replica) because I never read about it before and I may be interested if there is a waiting list !!!
Thank you very much.
Fred

3,257

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Hi Fred! I'm just going to keep posting the updates here for now. But when I'm 100% sure the project is a go, I may create a separate thread. I'll give everyone plenty of heads up.

Cheers!

3,258

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

canoe2 wrote:

Hi Fred! I'm just going to keep posting the updates here for now. But when I'm 100% sure the project is a go, I may create a separate thread. I'll give everyone plenty of heads up.

Cheers!


OK excellent John, thank you very much.

Cheers
Fred

3,259

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

A nice Aqua Terra alternative. I picked up this little beauty after seeing a review about it and found a hell of a deal on Amazon.  Casio Edifice EFV-100D-2AVCR.   Nice blue 40mm dial, solid links (polished center, brushed outside).  11mm case thickness, 20mm lug width and checks the boxes nicely.  Lightweight and comfortable but still has a nice wrist presence.  Had my eye on the Oceanus but I'm VERY impressed with this pickup. Two other models come in a black dial with yellow seconds hand and an off white dial as well.  Right out of the box this evening, haven't taken it to get sized but I wish I knew about this watch sooner.   Definitely worth a look.   
https://i.postimg.cc/svKxrDN0/20191013-181406.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Ny2jm8fW/20191013-181443.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/JDb7d1Xx/20191013-181458.jpg

3,260

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

What a cracking and helpful selection John.
You really do help us Bond fans with all the ground work you put into this.
I'm sure I'm talking on behalf of all us us, what a great job you do
The casiino royale one has always been my holy grail so those alternatives are a real option.
Well done mate

canoe2 wrote:

And just in case you haven't had enough of me talking about leather jackets ...  ajb007/shifty

New post: 4 Bond Leather Jackets for Fall and Winter

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2019 … -for-fall/

I do look at alternatives for the Menlo in this one. But I also tried to look at some jackets that I've been ignoring lately. Including some shearling!!

Have a great Sunday!
John

007 reporting for duty

3,261

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

chriscollins007: Thanks man! I really appreciate that! And I'm glad folks are still enjoying the site.

Speaking of which. Apologies for my absence this week. I received some (potentially) exciting personal news that required almost all my attention. If things work out the way I expect, I'll let you guys know what's up. But things are back to normal this week.

New post: The Bond Fall Style Roundup! Lots of fun odds and ends in this one.

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2019 … -round-up/

CB0012: I included your watch suggestion as well! Thanks for sharing that!

I'll be working double time this week to make up for the posts I missed last week, so still lots more to come this month!

Cheers!
John

3,262

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Hello!

In case anyone hasn't seen it, David did a Bond Experience review of the Mango alternative for the blue Connolly Matera jacket. Here's a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/SJA9gJXw0cw

Cheers!
John

3,263

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

A sneak peek before tomorrow's video post of The Frugal Bond Meets Iconic Alternatives
How do you find and track affordable alternatives for some of the most popular and famous James Bond styles from the various films?  You head to Iconic Alternatives!  We discuss the inspiration, the passion, and the challenge of hunting for frugal Bond moments.....our own canoe2 features in the interview!

https://youtu.be/Cmj0tCIQn3k




https://i.postimg.cc/tsyzBrrG/piggyvlog.jpg

The Mantis was always The Bond Experience, but now he is The Bond Experience on AJB as well...
Visit youtube.com/TheBondExperience

3,264

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

The Bond Experience wrote:

A sneak peek before tomorrow's video post of The Frugal Bond Meets Iconic Alternatives
How do you find and track affordable alternatives for some of the most popular and famous James Bond styles from the various films?  You head to Iconic Alternatives!  We discuss the inspiration, the passion, and the challenge of hunting for frugal Bond moments.....our own canoe2 features in the interview!

https://youtu.be/Cmj0tCIQn3k




https://i.postimg.cc/tsyzBrrG/piggyvlog.jpg

Oh sh!t ....

ajb007/lol

But seriously, thanks again for inviting me, David. I really enjoyed speaking with you.  ajb007/cheers

3,265

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Morning all! New post is up! I've wanted to do this one for a while now: the black leather double rider biker jacket!

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2019 … clejacket/

In the article, I cover the options that are out there, a little bit about different types of leather and a few tips on how I break in heavyweight jackets. If you're interested in this style, you should definitely also check out the latest article from BAMF Style on Marlon Brando's look from The Wild One:

https://bamfstyle.com/2019/10/23/wild-one-brando/

Nick gives lots of detail on the jacket design and origins.

Also, just in case you want to see my ridiculous facial expressions and wild hand waving while I'm getting grilled by David, my interview with The Bond Experience is now live!

https://youtu.be/Cmj0tCIQn3k

Thanks again to David for the opportunity to share some information about the site! Two martinis for you! ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

And lastly, I should have some updates on the Patterson leather jacket project next week!

Have an awesome day, gang!

John

3,266

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

John, what a fantastic interview! You have a great personality and, as David mentioned, your passion really shines through. It’s been really fun seeing how IA has evolved. Great stuff!

3,267

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

drum007 wrote:

John, what a fantastic interview! You have a great personality and, as David mentioned, your passion really shines through. It’s been really fun seeing how IA has evolved. Great stuff!

Thanks! I'm glad you found it interesting. David did a great job with the questions. And I hope all you guys know what a huge part of the evolution of IA you've been! Cheers!  ajb007/cheers

3,268

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Post update! New alternatives for the Barbour X To Ki To

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2015 … -to-ki-to/

Also, Aphrodite is giving away a Barbour Beacon to celebrate Barbour's 125th anniversary. Details on how to enter that contest are in the post.

And, based on the Empire Magazine NTTD promo shot, it looks like I need to start hunting for Henley's and Cargo pants!

Enjoy your Saturday, gentlemen!

3,269

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

canoe2 wrote:

Post update! New alternatives for the Barbour X To Ki To

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2015 … -to-ki-to/

Also, Aphrodite is giving away a Barbour Beacon to celebrate Barbour's 125th anniversary. Details on how to enter that contest are in the post.

And, based on the Empire Magazine NTTD promo shot, it looks like I need to start hunting for Henley's and Cargo pants!

Enjoy your Saturday, gentlemen!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W12RNQ3/re … &psc=1

4 button henley? White?

$22 with one day shipping!!!!!

Yes. Consssssiderably.

3,270

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Nice find, armenianmovieman! I'm already working on a post for that "Tactical" Pant + Henley look, so I'll include this one with credit to you for the find.

Post update! Re-visiting some Daniel Craig inspired luggage:

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016 … s-luggage/

There are some really interesting options for those globe-trotter pieces right now at all price ranges.

Enjoy your Sunday!
John

3,271

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

4 Days to Halloween! I revived an oldie but a goodie: Matt Sherman's (he's Bond Collectors' Weekends here on AJB) article on How to Host to Bond Themed Halloween Party:

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016 … een-party/

Cheers!
John

3,272

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Hi All,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still making progress on the Patterson jacket project and should have an update early next week. So far, things are looking pretty good!

3,273

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Morning!
New post: 5 Things I Want, the October edition. I missed September, but I think I made up for it this month  ajb007/smile

https://www.iconicalternatives.com/2019 … t-october/

3,274

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Banana Republic is doing their 50% off sale with code BRFAMILY.

3,275

Re: Budget Bond Collectors Resource

canoe2 wrote:

Hi All,
Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm still making progress on the Patterson jacket project and should have an update early next week. So far, things are looking pretty good!

Good to hear John. Been wanting one for a long time.