The Steven Spielberg Thread

Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
edited December 2015 in Off Topic Chat
I'm sure many here have seen their share of Spielberg-directed movies. Whether you like or dislike his style of directing, you can't deny that he had a fair amount of films that touched many people.

He's noted for his use of John Williams scores, his use of family issues, having casted Tom Hanks and Harrison Ford on 4 films each out of the ones he's directed (if I remember correctly), and having diversity in his (directorial) filmography.

He has twice won a Best Director Oscar (the first time for Schindler's List and the second time for Saving Private Ryan).

Asides from his work as director, he has also produced films.

So, what do you guys think of Spielberg's work in film? Do you think his reputation as a great director is well-deserved? Do you think he's an overrated director? And do you have anything to say with regards to his work as a producer?

And also, if you're a Spielberg fan, do you have a favorite Spielberg film?
"Hostile takeovers. Shall we?"
New 2020 ranking (for now DAF and FYEO keep their previous placements)
1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
Bond actors to be re-ranked later

Comments

• HatThrowingHenchmanHatThrowingHenchman Russia With LovePosts: 1,834MI6 Agent
    I don't think he is overrated, he had his hand on many very successful franchises.my favourites are Indana Jones 1-3.
    "You see Mr.Bond, you can't kill my dreams...but my dreams can kill you.Time to face destiny" - "Time to face gravity"
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Anybody seen a very early TV movie that Spielberg did called Duel? I loved that film. -{
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,053Chief of Staff
    Yes, a very good movie.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Duel was awesome, then came Sugarland Express which was very good... then... JAWS.
    Favourite Spielberg film? I'd have to say Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • Le SamouraiLe Samourai Honolulu, HIPosts: 573MI6 Agent
    I am well-known among my friends as an unabashed Spielberg-basher. The only two Spielberg films I still enjoy are 'Duel' and 'Jaws.' I liked Indiana Jones and 'E.T.' well enough as a kid, but on more recent viewing I was far less impressed.

One of my complaints regarding Spielberg is how he directs actors. The onscreen interactions often seem shallow, as if the characters are talking at one another, not to one another. Some of the line readings in 'Jurassic Park' in particular made me cringe. And while actors still give fine performances in Spielberg films, I never get the impression he brings out the best in actors.

Part of the reason for this is I don't really think Spielberg gets complex human emotions and interaction. He has more or less acknowledged this on occasion. For example, while making the interview circuit for 'The Color Purple' Spielberg said he didn't dramatize the same-sex relationship portrayed in the novel because he was unable to as a director.

In some ways, I think Spielberg's issues with complexity extends to other aspects of his directing. 'Close Encounters' and (especially) 'Minority Report' seemed ridiculously dumbed-down. No one should have ever let Spielberg get his hands on a Philip K. Dick story.

Plus, Spielberg rarely (if ever) surprises me. From the way actors say their dialogue to the framing of shots, it all strikes me as rather pedestrian and predictable.

So where does this leave me as a film fan? Quite simply, I've thrown in the towel. There are several Steven Spielberg movies I haven't seen, and I don't plan to. The odds are too great I will be disappointed. And why waste my valuable time with a director I dislike when there are plenty of films to see by directors I do admire (such as Martin Scorsese, Steven Soderbergh, David O. Russell, Jim Jarmusch, Pedro Almodovar, Wes Anderson, Quentin Tarantino, Wong Kar-wai, and Nicolas Winding Refn)?
    —Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
    Agent In Training
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    'Minority Report' seemed ridiculously dumbed-down.
    You just named my least favourite film of his. I was actually offended by it. X-(
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I liked most of Spielberg's work, but do think that lately
    He's gone off the boil a bit. His film about Lincoln was
    basically a big budget TV bio pic, Indy five was terrible.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Agent PurpleAgent Purple Posts: 857MI6 Agent
    As far as I can tell, only 4 Indiana Jones films have been released.

People seem to be quite split on the Indy franchise.
    1. TLD 2. TND 3. GF 4. TSWLM 5. TWINE 6. OHMSS 7. LtK 8. TMWTGG 9. L&LD 10. YOLT 11. DAD 12. QoS 13. DN 14. GE 15. SF 16. OP 17. MR 18. AVTAK 19. TB 20. FRWL 21. CR 22. FYEO 23. DAF (SP to be included later)
  • eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    Love him as a director. Nobody can deny he hasn't made great films. Huge lifelong fan of Jurassic Park. Absolutey love it.
    Saving Private Ryan/The Pacific / Band of Brothers are incredible.

I love all the Indys. Jaws was good as was ET.
    "Indy five" was a prediction ! ;) ( yes I got that wrong Indy four was terrible ) :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,238MI6 Agent
    I loved Minority Report but I didn't know the book.

I think he has gone off a bit, because when you've hit the heights of Schindler's List, everything else he gets offered amounts to 'not much of a hill of beans' as the saying goes. I think in recent films he sort of sees so many different ways of doing things that he has lost his singular vision. War Horse was a bit like that, for me.

He's also trying to convey a relentless message of reconciliation in films, even in the last Indy, they have the hero a crosspatch as if to say, hey, your Dad was like that to you but he might have been a young hero like in Raiders at one point.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    He is a massive Bond fan. He let Lewis Gilbert use the alien call sign as the keypad psssword in Moonraker because he loves the films.
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    I'm sure this is old news but ..... In the old Columbo episode
    Mind over Mayhem ( series 3, Episode 6) the Boy genius is called
    Steven Spielberg. ;) a tribute to him as he had directed a couple of
    Episodes of the detective show.
    I haven't seen Bridge of Spies. Did anyone here see it? (No spoilers please)
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,030MI6 Agent
    All directors have good and bad movies sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but Spielberg's body of work ranks up there with the very best - Duel, Jaws, CE3K, Indy trilogy, Jurassic Park are my faves along with the aforementioned Murder By The Book episode of Columbo which is the best of the series.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,227MI6 Agent
    @ Agent Purple I saw Bridge Of Spies this past fall and I really enjoyed it. It was one of the better spy movies that I had seen in some time that was not a James Bond movie.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,418Quartermasters
    I would certainly regard myself as a Spielberg fan.

First and foremost, I think that he is a very good storyteller who has used simple cinematic technique to tell stories in a way that connects with audiences. I don't think you can ask much more of any filmmaker. Innovative methods are all good and well, but I will always prefer cinema to be simple. There have been so many Spielberg film that rank amongst my favourites. I certainly haven't seen all of his films, and some classics that I'm ashamed to say I've never seen, such as 'Close Encounters' and 'ET'.

My favourites are:
    Saving Private Ryan
    Schindler's List
    Jaws
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Catch Me If You Can

I'm really keen to see 'Bridge of Spies' but I haven't got round to it yet.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I loved a lot of movies as a kid, and later "shaving Ryans privates" and "Munich" are stand out films for me, but his style now seems a bit dated for want of a better word, I'm looking forward to "bridge of spies" and the indy films still do it for me, I just think there are far more excellent directors and producers these days....probably inspired by Spielberg himself.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I agree, I think Spielberg is now an "establishment" director. No new
    Techniques or ideas ( sorry if that sounds a bit harsh ), but many other
    directors are doing it better. :#
    He's still a talented guy with a fantastic body of work behind him, but
    most of his new work, has the feel of big budget TV movies.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    It does seem to do, I just think he's not innovative as he once was, I think the shining directors are the ones selecting terrific stories, such as the new film "the revenent" it looks awesome in the trailers can't wait to see it at the weekend. Spielberg seems to be making safe tried and trusted movies at the moment, with his favoured actors. Though I do love Tom Hanks (Who has expressed a desire to play a bond villain).
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I've been watching some Spielberg lately. Jurassic Park is so good, it's threatening to become my favorite of his (I haven't seen them all). Schindler's List used to be my fave, might rewatch it sometime this year (it's not that I've moved it down, but rather, that I'm reconsidering that fave Spielberg film position).
    I've been revisiting the Indy films (had seen the first 3 and surely most of the 4th) and Crusade is certainly among my top Spielberg films.