Location of the Hildebrand Safe house

TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
Just for fun, i thought i would see if i could find the Hildebrand Safe house on Apple and Google maps, and it was much easier than I thought.

The panning shot of M, Taner and Q walking up the steps at the rear of the house shows Trafalgar square in the background

IMG_0200.jpg

Apple maps, used at roughly the same angle shows the same building, wit the 3 flights of steps, and this is on Spring Gardens

IMG_0202.jpg

Google street view of the building, shows this disused shop front, notice the 2 recessed bays, and particular shutters

IMG_0197.jpg

The initial shots of M, Tanner and Q entering that building at street level shows this.... familiar?

IMG_0198.jpg

So its on Spring Gardens, just off Trafalgar Square, possibly 29 or 25....

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Brilliant find!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Clever stuff ! -{
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    A fantastic bit of investigation. -{ I ( wrongly) assumed
    The panning shot of M, Taner and Q walking up the steps
    at the rear of the house, was a bit of set/CGI stuff. :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent

Maybe that bit is. I also thought it look a bit "fake"

Great research by the OP!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • TennysonTennyson A View to a KillPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Thanks guys, it surprised me there was so much continuity in the building, would have been easy to use Pinewood for the internals but it seems they didn't. The continuing story where Madaline says goodbye to JB is on Spring Gardens too, they do exit that shop and have the conversation right outside.

I guess now MI5 needs a new safe house...this one has been properly compromised!
  • Bmorelli11Bmorelli11 Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    Excellent work!
    You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us
    Another location for Fans to stop for a photo, while other people look at us
    like we're insane. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    just now waiting for a picture of ASP 9MM to post his waving arm, and Omega in front of the building :D
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Nice work!
    Google Maps shows Spring Gardens as being somewhere else entirely. WHat am i getting wrong?

Disregard! Found it!
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent

Strange, I thought it was CGI added on top of a building (like they did in SF). Strange it looked fake when it was real - must of been the lighting!
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • moneyofpropremoneyofpropre Posts: 38MI6 Agent
    edited February 2016
    Nice.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Google Maps shows Spring Gardens as being somewhere else entirely. WHat am i getting wrong?

Disregard! Found it!

Just to confuse matters there's more than one Spring Gardens... Ironically there's one quite close to the MI6 building in Vauxhall too.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent

Disregard! Found it!

Just to confuse matters there's more than one Spring Gardens... Ironically there's one quite close to the MI6 building in Vauxhall too.

The Spring Gardens south of the Thames in Vauxhall is not the correct location. That's where the National Criminal Intelligence Service was located.
    There seems to be quite a few Spring Gardens in the london area as pointed out. I have added 2 more photo maps to make it easier to spot... i yount be back to the UK until about July, so if anyone could get some better street shots that would be cool

its the Spring Gardens to the right of The Mall in the first picture

IMG_0203_2.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg
    So when is a Safe House not a Safe House... When it's only a front!

Went over to the Hildebrand Safe House location today to check it out and as per Tennyson's directions it is in Spring Gardens south of The Mall between Admiralty Arch and the south west corner of Trafalgar Square.

image.jpg

The door to the left is number 27, but is a separate building. In fact, where there should be a door as per the movie, there isn't one, just window, panel and wall.

image.jpg

Sorry the pic is on it's side, but that should be where the door is you can see Q closing in the screen capture Tennyson has in his first post. So there is no door or stairs behind. The next pics are poor quality but show the inside, which is empty. It appears this is the rear of a premises, but this 'front' has no exit coming from it out of either recess.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The second pic is trying to show the area where the stairs M and Tanner are standing should be (again on it's side, sorry).

Looking up you can see some of the external fire escape that the actors climb, giving the wonderful outside panoramic shots of the London skyline, but it doesn't make for a worthwhile picture from ground level.

So it seems production used the outside location, but the interior was a studio sound stage.

Finally, a gratuitous shot of the 'Safe House' with my watch in the way :D

image.jpg

Congrats Tennyson, excellent detective work {[]
    Thanks Skippy, its really good to see what is beyond google street view! Also surprised that after using an actual front, along with the back of the same building they decided to build a sound stage for what was a fleeting shot of the interior, but I guess they needed a certain look and feel they could get in reality. It's all smoke and mirrors!

Thanks for checking it out, I will see it for myself in June when I am next in Londinium!
    Some nighttime shots.

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg
    Some great photos. -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,417Chief of Staff
    Great pics, thanks -{
    YNWA 97
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    That bloody great. I have to visit that place next time I'm in London.

I think I just might do a SPECTRE tour through London.
    Dalton Rulez™
    SPECTRE are running tours now! ......... shows just how Evil are they ! :D
    Good pics HH {[] The place looks much more the part after dark.

Although driving through the other day, I had the same view you took in the first picture and the fire escape they climb up is much more visible from that position.
    Better? :))

Hildebrand.jpg
    Perfect :D
  • imranbecksimranbecks SingaporePosts: 139MI6 Agent
    edited March 2016
    Very good and very helpful. I will be going to London next month. This safe house is already on my list of Bond filming locations to visit! Along with Bond's flat, Broadgate Tower, City Hall and that underground entrance to MI6 in Skyfall which in reality is a carpark.. Lol..

What is that "safe house" location used for I wonder... All closed and locked up like that... Did it used to be a store or an apartment? Any locals have any idea what that place is for?
  • Alec 006Alec 006 Sydney, AustraliaPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    This is a fantastic thread! Informative and entertaining.

Great work Tennyson, I award you the Six Vesper salute. -{ B-)
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde