Topic: What do you think is the weirdest Bond film?

I've been thinking about this a little lately. The series has thrown up a few films with some very strange and quirky moments! So I was wondering what people had as their strangest Bond film? I would have to say that I find Diamonds Are Forever and Moonraker to be the two weirdest, with Diamonds nudging for the top spot. I quite like it, but I just think its bizarre!

What do you guys think?

Re: What do you think is the weirdest Bond film?

I would have to agree - Moonraker and DAD.

I always thought Live And Let Die was the strangest because it dealt with supernatural powers, and the scene were Kananga blew up was silly, but fun.  I can see where you're coming from with DAF and Moonraker though.  Moonraker and Spy are both weird because Jaws is so powerful; like a comic book character.  I also thought OHMSS (of all movies) was weird for breaking the fourth wall a couple times; "This never happened to the other fellow", and the little guy whistling the Goldfinger theme.

I'll go with DAF, because it's overall tone is so blatantly and relentlessly comedic.  In this case, "weird" doesn't equal "poor", however -- I think DAF is a lot of fun.

Hilly...you old devil!

Although I like it, DAD without thinking about it.

MI6Community: DoubleOGeauss
YouTube: DutchJamesBondFan

Definitely DAF (and then also NSNA, if it counts).

"I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
"- That is something to be afraid of."

LALD for me. But weird in a mostly good way. That last shot says it all. ajb007/lol

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

I think LALD.

DAF is very comedic, but it isn't really as weird because many of the standard elements are there.

LALD deals with as Oddjoblofeldraxorin says, the supernatural. It also deals with the whole african-american element which at the time in some places was taboo. This shows in the film and it almost comes across like a blaxploitation Bond film. Roger Moore also plays Bond very differently - for the obvious reasons of differentiation from the previous. The soundtrack is quite odd too.

My GF loves LALD because of how odd it is.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

I vote for YOLT. The film starts with Bond getting "killed," and the he ends up "becoming" Japanese, including a completely ridiculous makeover and sham marriage. The massive battle inside the volcano lair(!) between SPECTRE's private army and Tanaka's ninjas is also ludicrous.

The Man with the Golden Gun.  It's strange from the get go -- the psychedelic opening, the odd score, the unusual (for the time) physical qualities for people (third nipple, "midget" servant), the Solex McGuffin (mostly off screen, but it never quite makes sense to me that Scaramanga, an assassin, apparently built his power station with one other person but still has to steal the Solex to empower it), the dusty, swampy Southeast Asian locales, and so forth.   It plays more like some strange, trippy nightmare than a Bond film.  The rest are fairly conventional by comparison, though Live and Let Die probably takes second place.

TMWTGG definitely for reasons stated above

Good call on LALD AND Golden Gun. They're both pretty farout. I love LALD, it's one of my favourites, and yes it is pretty left of field. It seems like the 70s was probably the weirdest period for Bond. Maybe because they were experimenting a little and trying to take the series in all of these different directions. I always found Diamonds quite strange because of the characters and the imagery. Blofeld is the campiest villain, the two gay henchmen are great but bizarre. Then there are strange characters like Shady Tree and Willard Whyte. And I always found the circus scene with the ape-woman absolutely bonkers. So random. Also the moon buggy chase and the pre-titles with that strange mud lake. Crazy times

Revolver66 wrote:

Good call on LALD AND Golden Gun. They're both pretty farout. I love LALD, it's one of my favourites, and yes it is pretty left of field. It seems like the 70s was probably the weirdest period for Bond. Maybe because they were experimenting a little and trying to take the series in all of these different directions. I always found Diamonds quite strange because of the characters and the imagery. Blofeld is the campiest villain, the two gay henchmen are great but bizarre. Then there are strange characters like Shady Tree and Willard Whyte. And I always found the circus scene with the ape-woman absolutely bonkers. So random. Also the moon buggy chase and the pre-titles with that strange mud lake. Crazy times

That's probably why TSWLM and MR (camp or not) were a return to form, scale and fantasy of the earlier films...

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

Ah, let's just call the entire Hamilton 70's trilogy a weird bunch!  ajb007/cheers

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

eric7064 wrote:

TMWTGG definitely for reasons stated above

Agreed. I also vote for TMWTGG.

Weird and quirky in a cool way though IMO.  Also like the odd angles of the RMS Queen Elizabeth and the bizarre Grisly Land.  It's almost like some early german expressionism Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. MR 2. TSWLM 3. GE 4. TND 5. TMWTGG 6. DN 7. GF 8. TWINE 9. AVTAK 10. OP

DAD, AVTAK, TMWTGG, MR, OP are some of the weirdest.  ajb007/martini

Though my vote goes for DAF, it's just so strange, fat and tired Connery, Charles Gray as Blofeld? Blofeld in drag? An unappealing color palette, and a plot that goes all over the place makes DAF feel very un-bond like. Also, is it just me, or does Bond seem less of a main character in this film? By that I mean he seems to get less screen time, and more focus on things going on around him.

1. TLD 2. CR 3. OP 4. OHMSS 5. FYEO 6. AVTAK 7. TSWLM 8. GF 9. FRWL 10. SF 11. LTK 12. TB 13. QOS 14. YOLT 15. LALD 16. DN 17. TWINE 18. GE 19. TND 20. MR 21. TMWTGG 22. SP 23. DAF 24. NSNA 25. DAD
1. Roger 2. Timmy 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. George 6. Pierce

For me it's definitely one of the 1970s Guy Hamilton films, as others have mentioned. Before reading what others had to say, DAF came to mind first, so I'll go with that one.

Yes the Hamilton trilogy is definitely quite pulpy and left field. The three films have some strange elements and imagery. As I said before I think it works best with Live and Let Die, as it fits the voodoo elements of the story. However I think Diamonds and Golden Gun could have definitely been told in a much more conventional way, like a regular spy film. Diamonds could have been a more straight forward smuggling caper, and Golden Gun could have been a more assassin vs assassin story, but they both end up being a little on the strange side. That's not to say I don't like them, I do  ajb007/smile

Last edited by Revolver66 (19th Feb 2016 05:22)

Moonraker is just bonkers  ajb007/lol

DAF definitely.

Honorable mentions: AVTAK and TMWTGG

1 - Avtak, 2 - Op, 3 - Ltk, 4 - Lald, 5 - Fyeo, 6 - Ohmss, 7 - Sf, 8 - Dn, 9 - Ge, 10 - Daf, 11 - Tmwtgg, 12 - Tswlm, 13 - Mr, 14 - Tld, 15 - Yolt, 16 - Sp, 17 - Gf, 18 - Frwl, 19 - Dad, 20 - Qos, 21 - Tnd, 22 - Twine, 23 - Tb, 24 - Cr

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Agree with everyone on DAF.

Bond's arch nemesis in drag! 'nuff said...

Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews:  Recapping 007   
YouTube channel  Support my channel on Patreon  Twitter   Facebook fanpage

Yes, I'd say DAF and LALD are the weirdest of the lot and certainly not your conventional Bond film (or even spy film).

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

I agree with DAF, it has some wonderfully  weird characters in it.  ajb007/biggrin

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

Thunderpussy wrote:

I agree with DAF, it has some wonderfully  weird characters in it.  ajb007/biggrin

Agreed, it surely must be a Hamilton-Mankiewicz thing. That even sounds like some deadly disease!  ajb007/lol

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Reading through "Some Kind of Hero" I think it's safe to say that if the original treatments for The Spy Who Love Me had of been filmed then that easily would have been the wackiest. Full of evil hippies and killer robots  ajb007/lol