1

Topic: Locking threads: a very bad idea

The "EU in or out" thread was recently locked because one rather active member made repeated posts insulting another member.  The thread lock is not fair to the members who were neither the "insulter" nor the "insultee".  Arguably the policy of thread locking is open to abuse, as any member who didn't want a certain topic discussed could make sufficient provocative posts to force a thread lock.  Better to single out the offending member and lock that individual out of a thread, no?

2

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

I understand and appreciate your point, but sometimes closing a thread is done to allow things to "cool down" a bit.  Removing an "offending" member from an already hot topic is often adding fuel to the fire.  It's often best to close it down, wait a while, and then get back to it.

Vox clamantis in deserto

3

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Obviously the OP is speaking about myself.

I can't check, but don't recall having insulted anybody there.
Just because someone feels having been insulted - doesn't mean that that's the case.

It was a political disagreement - I had no motive to have the thread locked down because I wanted everybody to see the opposing opinions and make a qualified choice. Implying that I insult others to get topics removed by purpose.... Well  ajb007/rolleyes

[Edit by Barbel]

Last edited by Higgins (29th Apr 2016 06:14)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

4

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

cheld wrote:

Locking threads: a very bad idea

Not in all circumstances. In this case, several warnings were given by both Sir Miles and myself that this might happen.

cheld wrote:

  Better to single out the offending member and lock that individual out of a thread, no?

Not in all circumstances as Hardyboy said above.



Higgins, please keep PMs private- that's what they are there for. I've deleted your last line for this reason.

5

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

imo the thread would still be open if the "he insulted me card" wouldn't have been played - for no reason may I add.

Last edited by Higgins (29th Apr 2016 06:13)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

6

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Barbel wrote:

Higgins, please keep PMs private- that's what they are there for. I've deleted your last line for this reason.

too bad as it demonstrated well the real nature of the persons that are getting easily "offended" here   ajb007/crap

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

7

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

cheld wrote:

The "EU in or out" thread was recently locked because one rather active member made repeated posts insulting another member.  The thread lock is not fair to the members who were neither the "insulter" nor the "insultee".  Arguably the policy of thread locking is open to abuse, as any member who didn't want a certain topic discussed could make sufficient provocative posts to force a thread lock.  Better to single out the offending member and lock that individual out of a thread, no?

It really wasn't as simple as you make out - and those aren't the facts either...

The rest has been very ably explained by Barbel  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

8

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

I can't see a positive or political reason behind the aluminium hats remark....which was levelled at more than one member, whilst not overly offensive it does conjure up a non too pleasant image.
http://s32.postimg.cc/dzitpa975/IMG_20160429_103301.jpg

It was either that.....or the priesthood

9

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Not the way I wear mine, I go for the Viking two horn look.  ajb007/biggrin

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

10

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Chriscoop wrote:

I can't see a positive or political reason behind the aluminium hats remark....which was levelled at more than one member, whilst not overly offensive it does conjure up a non too pleasant image.

One should never explain a joke, but it was meant as a metaphor and was not directed to more than one person  ajb007/embarrassed

Chriscoop wrote:

whilst not overly offensive

This! - so what's the fuzz all about?

First world problems - I know, I am being "provocative" again  ajb007/rolleyes

Last edited by Higgins (29th Apr 2016 10:19)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

11

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Higgins wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

I can't see a positive or political reason behind the aluminium hats remark....which was levelled at more than one member, whilst not overly offensive it does conjure up a non too pleasant image.

One should never explain a joke, but it was meant as a metaphor and was not directed to more than one person  ajb007/embarrassed

Chriscoop wrote:

whilst not overly offensive

This! - so what's the fuzz all about?
And because of that, suggesting to have me "removed"?  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

I've never suggested anyone be removed, and I've never complained at being offended either. Certainly this comment is not what all the fuss about, I just used it as an obvious reference as it had no basis in a political debate.
I may be wrong but you used your "anyone for aluminium hats" comment was posted as a reply on a post quoting at least 3 other members previous posts.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

12

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

I was referring to the initial post which suggests to have me "Singled out" and "locked"  ajb007/wink 

I can't check the thread anymore, but the wording was as far as I recall: "Aluminium hats, anyone?"
I don't recall quoting 3 members , but it may be possible. Not sure if the quotation of the 3 members was in direct context with the hat remark, as far as I recall, it was directed to one member - as it was some posts earlier  ajb007/wink

Last edited by Higgins (29th Apr 2016 10:26)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

13

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Higgins wrote:

I was referring to the initial post which suggests to have me "Singled out" and "locked"  ajb007/wink 

I can't check the thread anymore, but the wording was as far as I recall: "Aluminium hats, anyone?"
I don't recall quoting 3 members , but it may be possible. Not sure if the quotation of the 3 members was in direct context with the hat remark, as far as I recall, it was directed to one member - as it was some posts earlier  ajb007/wink

Aluminium hats anyone or anyone for aluminium hats..... Splitting hairs, the owness being on hats plural meaning more than one hat, therefore not directed at one person at all.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

14

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

I imagine this is what happens at AJB top secret Headquarters ( Off the High street, behind TESCO )

Two mods, remove the keys from around their necks, looking solemnly at each other,from
Opposing desks  as they Count down ... " Three, two, one Turn"  ........ Thread Locked !  ajb007/biggrin

Honestly guys, if we can all shake hands put it down to a misunderstanding and in the words
Of that wise young woman Taylor Swift and " Shake it off" ? ajb007/smile
I'm dancing in my pants to it right now !  ajb007/tongue

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

15

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Thunderpussy wrote:

I imagine this is what happens at AJB top secret Headquarters ( Off the High street, behind TESCO )

Two mods, remove the keys from around their necks, looking solemnly at each other,from
Opposing desks  as they Count down ... " Three, two, one Turn"  ........ Thread Locked !  ajb007/biggrin

Honestly guys, if we can all shake hands put it down to a misunderstanding and in the words
Of that wise young woman Taylor Swift and " Shake it off" ? ajb007/smile
I'm dancing in my pants to it right now !  ajb007/tongue

And the mental image you've just given me should mean this thread is locked down and your last post erased for ever.........and ever  ajb007/biggrin

It was either that.....or the priesthood

16

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Thunderpussy wrote:

Honestly guys, if we can all shake hands put it down to a misunderstanding and in the words
Of that wise young woman Taylor Swift and " Shake it off" ? ajb007/smile

Seconded.  Thank you, TP.

17

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Thunderpussy wrote:

I'm dancing in my pants to it right now !  ajb007/tongue

With an aluminium...   ajb007/crap

I'll grab my coat.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

18

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Good move.

19

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Quite honestly though I have no ill feeling towards anyone and actually said the Mods (or barbs and miley as I like to call them) did the right thing. Its a Bond forum after all, not a ukip conference. And to be honest I think Thunderpussy is to blame for starting all this among with his diabolical Norwegian sidekick number 24 for re opening old wounds!   ajb007/smile

It was either that.....or the priesthood

20

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Anything in my pants is Solid Steel !   ajb007/biggrin

( It's a little unicorn pin )

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

21

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

I wondered how long before I got the blame !  Do I push the boundaries ? Yes !
Are My Threads Thought Provoking ?...... Yes !
Do I look good in a leopard skin thong ? ..... Yes !
( I still never sold that guitar ) ....... Anyone remember that photo ?  ajb007/lol

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

22

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Thunderpussy wrote:

I wondered how long before I got the blame !  Do I push the boundaries ? Yes !
Are My Threads Thought Provoking ?...... Yes !
Do I look good in a leopard skin thong ? ..... Yes !
( I still never sold that guitar ) ....... Anyone remember that photo ?  ajb007/lol

I now have an image of liz macdonald in a lap dancing bar!   ajb007/amazed

It was either that.....or the priesthood

23

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Chriscoop wrote:

the Mods (or barbs and miley as I like to call them)

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol   very good! Babs and Mikey, we wish!


Actually, it's more like
http://s32.postimg.cc/lsr3dycgh/AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

24

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Barbel wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

the Mods (or barbs and miley as I like to call them)

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol   very good! Babs and Mikey, we wish!


Actually, it's more like
http://s32.postimg.cc/lsr3dycgh/AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

But who is who? I'm guessing miley is Patrick the starfish

It was either that.....or the priesthood

25

Re: Locking threads: a very bad idea

Chriscoop wrote:
Barbel wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

the Mods (or barbs and miley as I like to call them)

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol   very good! Babs and Mikey, we wish!


Actually, it's more like
http://s32.postimg.cc/lsr3dycgh/AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

But who is who? I'm guessing miley is Patrick the starfish

Correct first time ! I'm just not as clever  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6