Re: Daniel's Age

I always imagine Bond as being like Fleming in  the photo of Fleming in uniform, in his office
during the war. Very slim.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Thunderpussy wrote:

I always imagine Bond as being like Fleming in  the photo of Fleming in uniform, in his office
during the war. Very slim.

Lanky, & ready to kick a*s. ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

Exactly, like Bruce Lee. In clothes he looked lanky, but when he took his shirt off in a fight
You'd be thinking " I might have picked on the wrong guy here ? "  ajb007/biggrin " I should have challenged
That fat bloke "

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

ToTheRight wrote:
zaphod99 wrote:
Matt S wrote:

If any Bond is an indestructible superhero, that would have to be Brosnan. I'd say Craig is the least Superman-type of all the Bond. He struggles the most. I think he's physically the most believable Bond. SP brought back more of the superhero Bond, but before that he's the least of that type.

I have heard similar arguments but feel differently. For me the Craig era has lacked struggle physically, Bond rarely seems out of his depth and in real danger. Even in Spectre the Train fight was bone crunching, and came closet to that 'oh God he may not win this' moment, but nowhere near Oddjob, or Red Grant, or 006 in GE for that matter. I think if anything Daniel seems almost too competent, too proficient in Martial Arts, and dare I say it too fit. For me Bond is fit, tough and tenacious, but not a top flight expert in anything, with the possible exception of Marksmanship and Driving. I appreciate that this is not a widely shared view. We see Brosnan after physical injury but Craig survives being shot and falling from a great height. He crashes through walls without incident. That said the opening fight in CR is amongst the very best and the psychological aftermath is superb. CR hit this best, but afterwards never for me at least found the right balance. Oh well, each to his own.

Good point. Fleming's Bond swam, did 20 push ups, leg lifts, breathing exercises and stretches. I can do that. I think he intended Bond's physique to be a bit like his own when he was at his peak. He's not ripped like Craig and certainly doesn't spend hours in a gym with a personal trainer. Connery up thru TB had the right build IMO.

Connery was a former body builder and even finished 3rd in the 1953 Mr. Universe. By the standards of the early Sixties, he was considered heavily muscled.

Gala Brand wrote:

Connery was a former body builder and even finished 3rd in the 1953 Mr. Universe. By the standards of the early Sixties, he was considered heavily muscled.

After reading the novels I thought he was about right in his first three movies, and began looking a little too heavy (not fat) in TB. But that's from a present perspective.

Those were the times... Connery was heavily muscled, but in a natural way. Now it's all growth hormone and steroids, but still no-one looks so well-proportioned as Connery did.

Jag wrote:

Those were the times... Connery was heavily muscled, but in a natural way. Now it's all growth hormone and steroids, but still no-one looks so well-proportioned as Connery did.

80's Arnold would have made a fantastic Bond....  ajb007/lol

Connery in his prime as Bond (DN through TB) was a force of nature. He truly was the man all women wanted to be with and all men wanted to be.

Last edited by HowardB (27th May 2016 02:02)

chrisisall wrote:
Jag wrote:

... a fantastic EIGHTIES Bond! ajb007/lol

Jag wrote:
chrisisall wrote:
Jag wrote:

Cubby could have just had Arnold dubbed. ajb007/lol  ajb007/martini

HowardB wrote:
Jag wrote:
chrisisall wrote:

Cubby could have just had Arnold dubbed. ajb007/lol  ajb007/martini

It would have challenged Niki no doubt. ajb007/lol

Thunderpussy wrote:

Agreed, so long as the actor looks believable in the action sequences, then
There's no problem. Many actors keep themselves in such good shape these
days, possibly because of the roles they have to play. That I'd say some 50+
actors are in far better shape than some  thirty year old actors of a few decades
ago.

So what about giving Timothy Dalton the chance to do a 3rd film. 
He was robbed when the films stopped between 1990 and 1995. But maybe he's too old now.

If a 5 film run takes 12 years (first film and then 4 x 3 year gaps.)
Perhaps you get a 33 year old, who will be 45 when he finishes.

Bleuville.

I doubt Tim would want to lose that fantastic beard he has.  ajb007/wink

Tim is too busy fighting various demons, vampires and Satan himself these days on "Penny Dreadful" (which is pretty good show IMO).
At 70, Dalton still looks like he could shave off the beard, put on a small hairpiece and portray an older Bond very easily. Just imagine Dalton as Bond, retired from MI6 and working as a private contractor specializing in corporate security /investigating corporate espionage  discovers information regarding some scarey threat or plot that he brings to the attention of his contacts at MI6 which leads him to
basically work for MI6 once again.

http://s33.postimg.cc/dyh095yez/AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

Timothy Dalton returning to Bond in some sort of capacity certainly has my support though I doubt that it will ever happen. As it stands at the minute I think he's the best of the Bonds with the most fidelity to Fleming's literary Bond so far.  ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Jag wrote:
chrisisall wrote:
Jag wrote:

"Ze nahme iss Bahnddd... Jems Bahnddd.."

http://s33.postimg.cc/jpz9g5w8r/image.jpg

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."