1

Topic: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

So, due to public demand I am creating this thread so that we can continue the fascinating discussions we have been having over the EU referendum and the race for the Tory premiership. As both of those events have now been decided, this is a more general thread on the topic of UK politics and related matters, both past and present.

I know that we can discuss politics here on this forum without getting into arguments and without too much moderator supervision. I know that you won't let me down in this regard. ajb007/smile  ajb007/martini

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/c7716b8db910704ae511924e96098567f826d581.jpg

--SM.

Last edited by Silhouette Man (24th Jul 2018 20:40)

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

2

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

I can hear Barbel slapping his forehead and grinding his teeth from here  ajb007/bond let the fun....I mean mature adult debates begin.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

3

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

So Angela eagle has stood aside from the leadership battle, does anyone think this is inspired by what the tories did?

It was either that.....or the priesthood

4

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Angela is a spineless, backstabbing Blairite.  Who took weeks before getting the guts to stand. Then
At the first chance backs down.  The Labour party is going to split, as most of the MPs are  closet
Conservatives, where as most of the members are socialist.  So the Conservatives will be in power for
At least the next 12 years or so.  ajb007/wink

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

5

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Chriscoop wrote:

So Angela eagle has stood aside from the leadership battle, does anyone think this is inspired by what the tories did?

Quite possibly. It's very unusual for two different party leadership contests to take place so close to the other (not counting Ukip here of course). I heard earlier today on the BBC Radio 4 news that one of them would stand aside in the interests of the party, whichever one got the least votes.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

6

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Does this mean the Labour party is sexist, not liking women ? As the Conservatives
Have had two female leaders   ajb007/biggrin

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

7

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Where's Glenda Jackson when you need her?  ajb007/biggrin

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

8

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

They listed some of the gaffs made by Owen Smith on the news today,  and all I can say
is if he wins it's Comedy gold for the impressionist's  ajb007/lol

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

9

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Thunderpussy wrote:

Angela is a spineless, backstabbing Blairite.  Who took weeks before getting the guts to stand. Then
At the first chance backs down.  The Labour party is going to split, as most of the MPs are  closet
Conservatives, where as most of the members are socialist.  So the Conservatives will be in power for
At least the next 12 years or so.  ajb007/wink

Don't you sit on the fence now TP will you  ajb007/lol

It was either that.....or the priesthood

10

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Can you possibly imagine any of the labour party in power? They are more like a working mens club committee  ajb007/rolleyes

It was either that.....or the priesthood

11

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

ajb007/lol  If she had come out on day one saying. That's it, I've had enough, So I'm standing !
Then great, but all her pussy footing  about, makes her look very weak and indecisive.
Even on Deadringers this week said her speeches sould like someone on a self confidence
building course.

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

12

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

I saw her on the EU debates, Mrs Coop said she was a whinging harridan

It was either that.....or the priesthood

13

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Here's an interesting video on the US versus the UK political systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4quK60FUvkY

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

14

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Chriscoop wrote:

I saw her on the EU debates, Mrs Coop said she was a whinginhg harridan

Yes, agreed, and her voice would go through you. Very grating. I'm relieved that she's out of the race.

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

15

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Me too frankly, someone wrote that watching her decide whether to stand against Corbyn was like watching Hamlet trying to do an impersonation of Brutus.

She did have some good moments against Cameron when standing in for Corbyn but that's about it.

I think having New Labour towing the party line helped rule out the chance for individuals/leaders to emerge, and Blair's Iraq legacy tarnished the entire makeover of the party, so it's back to square one.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

16

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

This is brilliant. "A tone poem based on the biblical fall of Neil Kinnock." The only mistake is that this incident took place in 1983 and not 1984. It was in fact 2 October 1983 to be exact - Neil Kinnock is the new Leader of the Labour Party and this is the PR disaster that happened next. Many say his leadership of the Labour Party (1983-1992) never fully recovered from it:

Neil Kinnock, falling endlessly into the sea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V58dOl84MaI

More on this event here:

http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics … -afternoon

And not forgetting this of course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TOgB3Smvro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d9Hm7_1DCo

Last edited by Silhouette Man (28th Jul 2016 07:27)

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

17

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

The fact that the Kinnocks, without a single brain cell between them, have become multi-millionaires through the courtesy of being Euro MP's is good enough reason for Brexit alone  ajb007/biggrin

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

18

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

CoolHandBond wrote:

The fact that the Kinnocks, without a single brain cell between them, have become multi-millionaires through the courtesy of being Euro MP's is good enough reason for Brexit alone  ajb007/biggrin

Indeed, a bunch of tiresome idiots that John Major swept away in the 1992 General Election. I remember seeing Neil Kinnock and his wife getting bunches of flowers after his shock defeat. I would have been about seven at the time and it must be one of my earliest political memories. I also remember vividly John Major standing down as Party Leader in 1995 to fight a new leadership campaign against John Redwood but more on that in a future post.

Last edited by Silhouette Man (4th Sep 2018 17:31)

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

19

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Silhouette Man wrote:
CoolHandBond wrote:

The fact that the Kinnocks, without a single brain cell between them, have become multi-millionaires through the courtesy of being Euro MP's is good enough reason for Brexit alone  ajb007/biggrin

Indeed, a bunch of tiresome idiots that John Major swept away in the 1992 General Election. I remember seeing Neil Kinnock and his wife getting bunches of flowers are his shock defeat. I would have been about seven at the time and it must be one of my earliest political memories. I also remember vividly John Major standing down as Party Leader in 1995 to fight as new leadership campaign against John Redwood but more on that in a future post.

Indeed ! John Major - the most boring man in politics ! Did absolutely nothing whilst PM yet still managed to win  ajb007/rolleyes but he was knocking off Edwina Currie for years - typical Tory !

YNWA: Justice For The 96

A spectre of my mortal soul

20

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Sir Miles wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:
CoolHandBond wrote:

The fact that the Kinnocks, without a single brain cell between them, have become multi-millionaires through the courtesy of being Euro MP's is good enough reason for Brexit alone  ajb007/biggrin

Indeed, a bunch of tiresome idiots that John Major swept away in the 1992 General Election. I remember seeing Neil Kinnock and his wife getting bunches of flowers are his shock defeat. I would have been about seven at the time and it must be one of my earliest political memories. I also remember vividly John Major standing down as Party Leader in 1995 to fight as new leadership campaign against John Redwood but more on that in a future post.

Indeed ! John Major - the most boring man in politics ! Did absolutely nothing whilst PM yet still managed to win  ajb007/rolleyes but he was knocking off Edwina Currie for years - typical Tory !

The Grey Man still managed to beat Neil Kinnock though and actually win a General Election against the odds! Something that Callaghan, Foot, Brown and Miliband weren't able to do despite being up against the evil Tories! The Conservative Party has always been a party of government, the old Labour Party less so. New Labour was an experiment that has now ended.

On the subject of morals in public life I recall that the New Labour Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott had an affair with his diary secretary Tracey Temple, between 2002 and 2004. Throwing stones and glass houses comes to mind...

Last edited by Silhouette Man (28th Jul 2016 09:03)

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

21

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Well as we have no real political parties here (DUP, UUP,TUV,SDLP, SF ,Alliance , clowns, idiots and terrorists) nothing we think or do has any effect on the UK government so no matter what or who gets leadership of Cons or Labour we just get dragged along .

22

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Silhouette Man wrote:

The Grey Man still managed to beat Neil Kinnock though and actually win a General Election against the odds! Something that Callaghan, Foot, Brown and Miliband weren't able to do despite being up against the evil Tories! The Conservative Party has always been a party of government, the old Labour Party less so. New Labour was an experiment that has now ended.

Anyone could have beaten Kinnock, that's nothing to brag about...and Major didn't have to win as much as not lose...the Tories are a shambles at present - the Labour Party even worse ! There is NO effective government in the UK at present.


Silhouette Man wrote:

On the subject of morals in public life I recall that the New Labour Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott had an affair with his diary secretary Tracey Temple, between 2002 and 2004. Throwing stones and glass houses comes to mind...

Glass houses ?

Boris Johnson...Michael Heseltine...Jeffrey Archer...Neil Hamilton...hundreds more...all rotten to the core !

YNWA: Justice For The 96

A spectre of my mortal soul

23

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Amazing that Jeremy Corbyn seems more convinced than ever that he's the best man to lead the Labour Party.
I'm not saying whether he should or shouldn't be, but if it was me, and I was in a job where daily more and more of my colleagues were resigning or challenging me, I'm pretty sure I'd be thinking twice about whether I was right for the job or not. He must have the skin of a rhino. I'm just not sure whether that's a good thing or not.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

24

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

It's a bad thing as far as I can see, as much as I'm more of a conservative government type there has to be a decent opposition. Corbyn is starting to look like a radical left wing megalomaniac.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

25

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Yes, Jeremy Corbyn is becoming more of a Stalinist every day sadly.

Last edited by Silhouette Man (4th Sep 2018 17:32)

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).