101

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

what you call a fair deal would be an unfair deal to all the other EU members.
Will not happen.

As you love to stress german carmakers. There are many countries in the world with heavy - and I mean heavy duties and taxes on foreign cars and the german car makers are still doing phantastic on these markets.

Even with 25 or 35% tax, UK and Americans will continue to buy Mercedes and Porsches.
Not sure if the same will happen with Minis, Jags and Range Rovers in Europe.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

102

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

A fair deal will see both parties give a bit more than they'd like to admit,  but all the major members of the Eu can't afford obstinacy,  Of course the Eu may well rebuff Britain completely in which case it will have put its head in the noose.

Last edited by Chriscoop (17th Jan 2017 18:57)

It was either that.....or the priesthood

103

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Higgins wrote:

what you call a fair deal would be an unfair deal to all the other EU members.
Will not happen.

As you love to stress german carmakers. There are many countries in the world with heavy - and I mean heavy duties and taxes on foreign cars and the german car makers are still doing phantastic on these markets.

Even with 25 or 35% tax, UK and Americans will continue to buy Mercedes and Porsches.
Not sure if the same will happen with Minis, Jags and Range Rovers in Europe.

I didn't stress German cars I said European. Mini is owned by BMW,  jags and range rovers are owned by an Indian company and after brexit the UK where they are made becomes an export gateway to world and particularly the USA where they already enjoy a lucrative trade, once we get up to Astons, Rolls Royce and Bentleys further duties become irrelevant.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

104

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Good luck negotiating trade deals with the US, where Trump clearly looks after US interests only.

It's just like Malta playing against your National team - or better ours  ajb007/biggrin

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

105

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Higgins wrote:

Good luck negotiating trade deals with the US, where Trump clearly looks after US interests only.

It's just like Malta playing against your National team - or better ours  ajb007/biggrin

Is that a football analogy?  I don't get football analogies,  I don't follow it

It was either that.....or the priesthood

106

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Chriscoop wrote:
Higgins wrote:

Good luck negotiating trade deals with the US, where Trump clearly looks after US interests only.

It's just like Malta playing against your National team - or better ours  ajb007/biggrin

Is that a football analogy?  I don't get football analogies,  I don't follow it

Good man  ajb007/biggrin

107

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

What if Malta, Is your national team ?  ajb007/biggrin

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

108

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Then you'd be Maltese of course  ajb007/rolleyes  ajb007/tongue

It was either that.....or the priesthood

109

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Higgins wrote:

The richer pay for the poorer for the benefit of all - it's just like London is paying for the poorer regions of the Kingdom and does not consume all money risen there.

Really ?  ajb007/amazed
I think you will find London doesn't give a stuff about the rest of the UK - even more so the further North you go !  ajb007/mad

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

110

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

You see, You do know about football ! Stop putting yourself down  ajb007/tongue  ajb007/lol

I was going to do a joke about how they like to be called Maltesers,  ...Sucking was to
Be in the tag line.  ajb007/wink

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

111

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Number24 wrote:

I'm not sure what sir Miles is refering to when he says I have the wrong impression and things look bleak.
My point,  based on one radio report,  is that May's negotiation goals are over-optimistic and unrealistic.

I meant that whatever 'news source' you were quoting from was giving you a false representation as to what was actually said  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

112

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Sir Miles wrote:
Number24 wrote:

I'm not sure what sir Miles is refering to when he says I have the wrong impression and things look bleak.
My point,  based on one radio report,  is that May's negotiation goals are over-optimistic and unrealistic.

I meant that whatever 'news source' you were quoting from was giving you a false representation as to what was actually said  ajb007/martini

He was probably listening to the BBC then  ajb007/wink

It was either that.....or the priesthood

113

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

It's NRK,  our version of the BBC.  It's a very respected news source. They're been around since the 20's and they are still respected and trusted because of their professionalism. They're showing a program on Brexit in an hour.

114

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Thunderpussy wrote:

You see, You do know about football ! Stop putting yourself down  ajb007/tongue  ajb007/lol

I was going to do a joke about how they like to be called Maltesers,  ...Sucking was to
Be in the tag line.  ajb007/wink

Oh on that level I know loads about football, it's played on a pitch in front of foul mouthed partisans with a round ball by over payed underskilled young men.  And in the case of England these young men are purchased for extortionate amounts of money from around the world even places that aren't in the Eu??  to such an extent that no home grown players eligible for national playing duty ever get chance to play which has resulted in the national team being a bag of sh1te often managed by over payed greedy crooks. 
How's that?

It was either that.....or the priesthood

115

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Number24 wrote:

It's NRK,  our version of the BBC.  It's a very respected news source. They're been around since the 20's and they are still respected and trusted because of their professionalism. They're showing a program on Brexit in an hour.

While this is true,  I have to stress that my first post on this thread today was after a short reports on the radio.  The report was also a first report on the issue. After the program later tonight I can write with more confidence.

116

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

The England National Team has been a bag of sh*te since 1966  ajb007/wink

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

117

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Sir Miles wrote:

I think you will find London doesn't give a stuff about the rest of the UK - even more so the further North you go !  ajb007/mad

This is true!

118

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

After watching the program on Brexit and May's speech,  I have to moderate myself.  May did speak of the limitations of EU market access when the UK leaves. I still think she seems overoptimistic,  but time will tell.

119

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Chriscoop wrote:

I didn't stress German cars I said European. Mini is owned by BMW,  jags and range rovers are owned by an Indian company and after brexit the UK where they are made becomes an export gateway to world and particularly the USA where they already enjoy a lucrative trade, once we get up to Astons, Rolls Royce and Bentleys further duties become irrelevant.

I'd say that every car consists of at least 50% german parts - in some other cases produced in the EU.
Think of Electrics , ABS and injectors by Bosch, interior surfaces, geartrains by ZF, bearings by Scheffler/Sachs and so on.
Bentley is basically a VW Phaeton, Rolls Royce a BMW 7 Series, Mini is on a BMW 1 platform, Aston Martin buys engines from AMG etc etc.

I say that the UK shoot themselfs in the own foot because they would not be able to subsidise many imported parts by foreign suppliers or by own industry. In the end, this would kill the remaining UK car industry.

It sounds nice "They sell us more than what we sell them, so we have the stronger lever", matter of fact is, that the UK is much more depending on imports than we are depending on exports.

Making these imports from the EU more expensive will not necessarily mean that the exporters are hit, it also means that prices in the UK will take a massive hike.

And at the end of the day, the EU market is much more important than the single UK market - so consequently, even the powerful german car industry will line up behind those who will defend the rules and advantages of the EU market against the cherry-picking from the UK side.

Blackmailing the EU with a tax-or duty-war will not bring the UK anything but worse relations to the entire EU in the end. If you want to leave the EU, leave and deal with the consequences. And please leave fast!

Last edited by Higgins (18th Jan 2017 07:30)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

120

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Barbel wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

I think you will find London doesn't give a stuff about the rest of the UK - even more so the further North you go !  ajb007/mad

This is true!

That still means that funds are transfered from London to the other parts of the country.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

121

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Higgins wrote:
Barbel wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:

I think you will find London doesn't give a stuff about the rest of the UK - even more so the further North you go !  ajb007/mad

This is true!

That still means that funds are transfered from London to the other parts of the country.

I'd take issue with that slightly...London cares about London - end of.

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

122

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Higgins wrote:

It sounds nice "They sell us more than what we sell them, so we have the stronger lever", matter of fact is, that the UK is much more depending on imports than we are depending on exports.

Again, true.

The imports will become more expensive and people will be forced to not buy them and possibly look at cheaper alternatives...that affects businesses in other countries and the EU loses an important market...tough times ahead all round...

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

123

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

So, you believe that the people will only buy japanese cars, cheap sparkling wine, cheap chinese production machines, automotive parts from chinese suppliers and so on?

And not to even mention your horrible own beer!    ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin  ajb007/biggrin

You'll still buy these from good ol EU maybe on a smaller scale but for a higher price  ajb007/wink

As said, the UK market is important for EU members, but the EU market is much more important to all of us - particularly for the producing industry!
We'll make the right choice  ajb007/wink

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

124

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

I bought a Japanese car last time - couldn't afford Audi's anymore  ajb007/frown plenty of others in the same boat...and it will only get worse according to you  ajb007/shifty

As prices get higher then demand will fall...demand falls and then prices fall, good old economics at work  ajb007/biggrin

Bumpy times ahead for the UK and the EU - no hiding from that fact  ajb007/wink

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

125

Re: The General UK Politics (Past and Present) Discussion Thread

Then you are not an interesting customer for our car makers either. Doesn't then make a difference - duties yes or not  ajb007/tongue

As said, large parts of your supply depends on the EU which is worse than losing a single market. We'll find other takers for our great products  ajb007/wink

It'll be difficult to find supply in a similar quality and kind and large parts of your remaining industry relies on EU tools and machinery. Good luck for replacing those by other products  ajb007/cheers

Last edited by Higgins (18th Jan 2017 08:21)

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!