Topic: Biggest film for each Bond actor (that isn't a bond film)

What is the biggest film for each Bond actor (that isn't a bond film)?

1 - Avtak, 2 - Op, 3 - Ltk, 4 - Lald, 5 - Fyeo, 6 - Ohmss, 7 - Sf, 8 - Dn, 9 - Ge, 10 - Daf, 11 - Tmwtgg, 12 - Tswlm, 13 - Mr, 14 - Tld, 15 - Yolt, 16 - Sp, 17 - Gf, 18 - Frwl, 19 - Dad, 20 - Qos, 21 - Tnd, 22 - Twine, 23 - Tb, 24 - Cr

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Re: Biggest film for each Bond actor (that isn't a bond film)

Boat Trip (RM) scooped $8 million at the box office.

Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"

I would include TV work as an alternative since films can be limiting; for example, what's Tom Selleck's best movie?  Even with "biggest," you'd need to narrow down the criteria for that, biggest in terms of box office?  Acting achievement?  As a collective body of work, like a TV show?  So, in the case of Bond actors, what I would roughly identify as each actor's biggest achievements are:

Connery-Untouchables for which he won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

Lazenby-kind of sad, I think we'd need to look at the inflation adjusted returns of his B-movies and TV appearances, which would be the hardest to chase down IMO.

Moore-The Saint TV Series

Dalton-Tough to determine because of his extremely extensive stage work; if you look at his credits, this film, TV and Stage roles are generally the same length.  As for film, I'VE READ (and haven't watched) that his notable ones are Lion in Winter and Wuthering Heights.

Brosnan-Remington Steele TV Series

Craig-Based on the concentration of film nominations received, The Mother, Layer Cake (the only of these I've watched) and Enduring Love.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

how'd The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo  do? whatever happened to the followup?

hehadlotsofguts wrote:

Boat Trip (RM) scooped $8 million at the box office.

You beat me to it! I was going to say BOAT TRIP.

Connery- several- Man Who Would Be King, Untouchables, Indy 3, Red October, etc
Lazenby- Gettysburg maybe
Moore- The Cannonball Run was a huge hit, Shout at The Devil, The Sea Wolves
Dalton- Hot Fuzz, though Lion in Winter is most classic
Brosnan- Mrs Doubtfire was huge- Dante's Peak did alright as well
Craig- Dragon Tattoo, Layer Cake...I forget the Spielberg movie he did.......

Connery's biggest film outside of Bond is probably Indiana Jones. His best is probably Untouchables, but don't think it's as popular as Indy. Entrapment is probably a close second.

Dalton's would probably be Toy Story 3.

Brosnan's would either be Mrs Doubtfire or (unfortunately) Mamma Mia even though the film is a stinker.

For Craig, even though the film is solid, no one really cared about Dragon Tattoo. His appearance is all too brief in Road to Perdition, despite a great performance. And despite it being an excellent film, it's not on the same level as the above 'biggest films' of Dalton, Connery and Brosnan. Instead, Cowboys and Aliens is probably Craig's biggest non-Bond film, for all the wrong reasons.

Film: Tomorrow Never Dies | Girl: Teresa di Vicenzo | Villain: Max Zorin | Car: Aston Martin Volante | Novel: You Only Live Twice | Bond: Sir Sean Connery

Connery - It has to be The Untouchables, I think. But there are some other good contenders which have been mentioned already (Last Crusade, Red October.) I think some other runners up could be Marnie and The Rock.

Lazenby - ???

Moore - The Wild Geese is one worth mentioning

Dalton - The Lion in Winter is the obvious one, also supprting roles in succesful films Hot Fuzz and Toy Story 3

Brosnan - In addition to the films mentioned already, The Thomas Crown Affair is also worth a shout.

Craig - I would nominate Dragon Tattoo, decent box office and good critical reception.

Connery - Indianna Jones and the Last Crusade, Hunt for Red October, The Rock

Moore - Cannonball Run

Dalton - Hot Fuzz

Brosnan - Mamma Mia

Craig - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Layercake

1.LTK  2.AVTAK  3.OP  4.FYEO  5.TND  6.LALD  7.GE  8.GF  9.TSWLM  10.SPECTRE  11.SF  12.MR 13.YOLT  14.TLD  15.CR (06)  16.TMWTGG  17.TB  18.FRWL  19.TWINE  20.OHMSS  21.DAF  22.DAD  23.QoS  24.NSNA  25.DN  26.CR (67)

ToTheRight wrote:

Craig- ...I forget the Spielberg movie he did.......

Munich? about the Israeli MOSSAD response to the 1972 Olympics massacre
he also voice-acted the villain in Tintin, but I don't think that one did too well, still waiting for the sequel to that one too

also, Brosnan was in Mars Attacks

Brosnans best, Thomas Crown Affair.

Connery - The Untouchables.  Honourable mentions to Indy & The Man who would be King.

Moore - Wild Geese

Dalton - A Lion In Winter

Brosnan - Thomas Crown Affair

Craig - Munich

Dalton- Hot Fuzz

And Brosnan was in it's sequel - The World's End.

Brosnan was also in the first Percy Jackson movie.

1 - Avtak, 2 - Op, 3 - Ltk, 4 - Lald, 5 - Fyeo, 6 - Ohmss, 7 - Sf, 8 - Dn, 9 - Ge, 10 - Daf, 11 - Tmwtgg, 12 - Tswlm, 13 - Mr, 14 - Tld, 15 - Yolt, 16 - Sp, 17 - Gf, 18 - Frwl, 19 - Dad, 20 - Qos, 21 - Tnd, 22 - Twine, 23 - Tb, 24 - Cr

What do you mean by biggest?  Budget?  Box office?  Most critically acclaimed?  Fan favorite?

In terms of box office and not adjusted for inflation, it's probably:

Connery -- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Lazenby -- Gettysburg
Moore -- The Cannonball Run
Dalton -- Toy Story 3
Brosnan -- Mama Mia!
Craig -- Tomb Raider

The Bond actors, with the exception of Connery, are not big draws outside of the role.

caractacus potts wrote:
ToTheRight wrote:

Craig- ...I forget the Spielberg movie he did.......

Munich? about the Israeli MOSSAD response to the 1972 Olympics massacre
he also voice-acted the villain in Tintin, but I don't think that one did too well, still waiting for the sequel to that one too

also, Brosnan was in Mars Attacks

My favourite Craig movie was Defiance. Munich wasn't too bad either.

caractacus potts wrote:

Let's hope there won't be a follow-up. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo would not be a bad movie, if it had not already been made before, so why waste time and money again?

Jag wrote:
caractacus potts wrote:

Let's hope there won't be a follow-up. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo would not be a bad movie, if it had not already been made before, so why waste time and money again?

Tell that to the people that just remade Ben Hur  ajb007/lol

There are a myriad of remade/reimagined films out there...some are better than the original...and its only a "waste (of) time and money" if they don't make a profit...

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Sir Miles wrote:
Jag wrote:
caractacus potts wrote:

There are a myriad of remade/reimagined films out there...some are better than the original...and its only a "waste (of) time and money" if they don't make a profit...

When the Daniel Craig version of Dragon Tattoo came out, I remember reading that there wouldn't be much demand for the series to continue as people have already seen the same story twice, in the books and in the Swedish films, and wouldn't be all that enthusiastic about it for a third time.

Jellyfish wrote:
Sir Miles wrote:
Jag wrote:

When the Daniel Craig version of Dragon Tattoo came out, I remember reading that there wouldn't be much demand for the series to continue as people have already seen the same story twice, in the books and in the Swedish films, and wouldn't be all that enthusiastic about it for a third time.

I think the concern for Dragon Tattoo is that it was too similar and it came out too soon after the original, and the entire trilogy no less.  It must have been a concern if audience interests could be sustained through the twists and turns of parts 2 and 3 when it's likely a significant part of  audiences of the DC version would have seen those already.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

my memory of later Blomkvist/Salander books is Salander is in a hospital bed most of the time and Blomkvist is philosophizing about journalistic ethics and doing library research ... i.e. not so much cinematic potential

which reminds me, one Connery film not yet mentioned that I thought was really good is The Name of the Rose, based on a book by the philosopher Umberto Eco

I have set myself a little task ajb007/biggrin

I plan to watch 6 films one after the other (either over 1 or 2 days), each of the 6 films being a non-bond film that stars one of the bonds each.

The films I am watching will be:
Connery - The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Lazenby - The Kentucky Fried Movie
Moore - Boat Trip
Dalton - The Rocketeer
Brosnan - Mrs Doubtfire
Craig - Dream House

These are films I haven't seen before btw. Many other films mentioned in this thread I've likely already seen.

Looking forward to this ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by Jarvio (27th Sep 2016 23:24)

Shout at the Devil, bought this recently on Bluray, great entertainment that turns dark half way through, one of Moores best , make sure you get the 132 or 150 minute version though rather than the 115 minute one usually shown.

Agreed, great film.  ajb007/martini

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Jarvio wrote:

I have set myself a little task ajb007/biggrin

I plan to watch 6 films one after the other (either over 1 or 2 days), each of the 6 films being a non-bond film that stars one of the bonds each.

The films I am watching will be:
Connery - The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Lazenby - The Kentucky Fried Movie
Moore - Boat Trip
Dalton - The Rocketeer
Brosnan - Mrs Doubtfire
Craig - Dream House

These are films I haven't seen before btw. Many other films mentioned in this thread I've likely already seen.

Looking forward to this ajb007/biggrin

I've watched these 6 now, and here are my thoughts:

The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen - A fun and enjoyable film. It wasn't a 'good' film as such, but I enjoyed it, and that's all that maters. Solid Connery performance.

The Kentucky Fried Movie - A bit of a piece of crap. Just numerous sketches and the vast majority were just not funny. Lazenby got like 1 minute of screen time. And he sounded dubbed in parts too.

Boat Trip - Not a 'good' film, but it made me laugh, therefore it did it's job. Moore's character was hilarious.

The Rocketeer - Oh yes. What a great film. Definitely my favourite of the 6. Just a very enjoyable and entertaining film, and Dalton is a brilliant villain in it too.

Mrs Doubtfire - Great film. Brosnan is so skinny in this. An all-round great family film, with good comedy and good messages.

Dream House - Not bad. It was weird but interesting. Part of me quite enjoyed it, but it was hard to follow at times. Good twist and great Craig performance.

Will do this again with another 6 films and report back.

Jarvio wrote:

Dream House - Not bad. It was weird but interesting. Part of me quite enjoyed it, but it was hard to follow at times. Good twist and great Craig performance.

I actually really enjoyed this movie - and it got a hell of a roasting by critics and film fans alike  ajb007/amazed

It one of DC's better films  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

Sir Miles wrote:
Jarvio wrote:

I actually really enjoyed this movie - and it got a hell of a roasting by critics and film fans alike  ajb007/amazed

It one of DC's better films  ajb007/martini

Even Craig didn't think so highly of this film. But I thought it had a good performance from him.