76

Re: Spectre, one year later

I have issues with Nolans batman trilogy also,  the first two were excellent,  the last one I just didn't enjoy as much.  It seemed to be retreading similar ground to other films in terms of context, the whole reluctant hero who's getting too old for this kind of thing,  who then comes back.... It's been done to death and I'll never forgive mendes for taking the reboot and throwing it in the bin and turning bond into an ageing agent and piling on the personal inter connected story arks and bond constantly going rogue!  Enough already,  if the writers can't come up with an exciting original  bond adventure by using its rich history and revisiting the novels without all this personal stuff then they should be replaced.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

77

Re: Spectre, one year later

Chriscoop wrote:

I have issues with Nolans batman trilogy also,  the first two were excellent,  the last one I just didn't enjoy as much.  It seemed to be retreading similar ground to other films in terms of context, the whole reluctant hero who's getting too old for this kind of thing,  who then comes back.... It's been done to death and I'll never forgive mendes for taking the reboot and throwing it in the bin and turning bond into an ageing agent and piling on the personal inter connected story arks and bond constantly going rogue!  Enough already,  if the writers can't come up with an exciting original  bond adventure by using its rich history and revisiting the novels without all this personal stuff then they should be replaced.

This is the reason I want to see Craig replaced. I like him as Bond, but if he comes back for one more, it will just be more of the same. Bond rogue. Personal connections. Waltz's awful Blofeld. Nothing good can come from another Craig Bond other than the fact my expectations will be so low that it can't disappoint me.

78

Re: Spectre, one year later

Miles Messervy wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

I have issues with Nolans batman trilogy also,  the first two were excellent,  the last one I just didn't enjoy as much.  It seemed to be retreading similar ground to other films in terms of context, the whole reluctant hero who's getting too old for this kind of thing,  who then comes back.... It's been done to death and I'll never forgive mendes for taking the reboot and throwing it in the bin and turning bond into an ageing agent and piling on the personal inter connected story arks and bond constantly going rogue!  Enough already,  if the writers can't come up with an exciting original  bond adventure by using its rich history and revisiting the novels without all this personal stuff then they should be replaced.

This is the reason I want to see Craig replaced. I like him as Bond, but if he comes back for one more, it will just be more of the same. Bond rogue. Personal connections. Waltz's awful Blofeld. Nothing good can come from another Craig Bond other than the fact my expectations will be so low that it can't disappoint me.

I think DC deserves a proper mission, and I'd love to see him finish off his bond tenure with one.  The film that should have followed qos maybe ?  just because it's Dc doesn't mean we can't have an independent mission movie.  The mission M gives him at the end Sf?

It was either that.....or the priesthood

79

Re: Spectre, one year later

Chriscoop wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

I have issues with Nolans batman trilogy also,  the first two were excellent,  the last one I just didn't enjoy as much.  It seemed to be retreading similar ground to other films in terms of context, the whole reluctant hero who's getting too old for this kind of thing,  who then comes back.... It's been done to death and I'll never forgive mendes for taking the reboot and throwing it in the bin and turning bond into an ageing agent and piling on the personal inter connected story arks and bond constantly going rogue!  Enough already,  if the writers can't come up with an exciting original  bond adventure by using its rich history and revisiting the novels without all this personal stuff then they should be replaced.

This is the reason I want to see Craig replaced. I like him as Bond, but if he comes back for one more, it will just be more of the same. Bond rogue. Personal connections. Waltz's awful Blofeld. Nothing good can come from another Craig Bond other than the fact my expectations will be so low that it can't disappoint me.

I think DC deserves a proper mission, and I'd love to see him finish off his bond tenure with one.  The film that should have followed qos maybe ?  just because it's Dc doesn't mean we can't have an independent mission movie.  The mission M gives him at the end Sf?

Agreed. In SP, Bond should've been on a mission for Mallory from the start. When Denbigh shows up, M could've told Bond to continue the mission off the grid. This would have gotten rid of Moneypenny being a mole and the postmortem message from M. Blofeld should have been just Blofeld. The only ties to the previous movies should've been the new MI6 regulars. And MI6 would've been repaired, not still in ruins.

1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby

80

Re: Spectre, one year later

Chriscoop wrote:

I have issues with Nolans batman trilogy also,  the first two were excellent,  the last one I just didn't enjoy as much.  It seemed to be retreading similar ground to other films in terms of context, the whole reluctant hero who's getting too old for this kind of thing,  who then comes back.... It's been done to death and I'll never forgive mendes for taking the reboot and throwing it in the bin and turning bond into an ageing agent and piling on the personal inter connected story arks and bond constantly going rogue!  Enough already,  if the writers can't come up with an exciting original  bond adventure by using its rich history and revisiting the novels without all this personal stuff then they should be replaced.

I have issues with The Dark Knight Rises too, but when that mans on fire he's on fire. I can say that about his Batman franchise, but I can't say it about the latest Bonds. TDKR is to The Dark Knight what Return Of The Jedi is to Empire Strikes Back IMO, but even Casino Royale isn't everything people say it is.

I also hate the way Bonds always going rogue. I can buy submarine cars and underground lairs, but I can't buy an agent whose been given a license to kill who doesn't respect the chain of command, I also cant buy an M who has an agent vetoed to kill who she doesn't seem to trust like what happened in the earlier Craig films, it just weakens both of their characters. There's no tension there, only contrived drama that makes them both look unprofessional. Bonds supposed to be doing it for Queen and country. Bond does despicable things, the only way the audience has of justifying what Bond is is that he's doing it for a greater good. Between Bond going rogue ( which is a cheap cop out to do it in in mulitiple films, it smacks of laziness. By the numbers screenwriting of what they think the audience loved about an earlier film ) and him being personally interconnected to everything but Moneypennys hatstand ( Blofeld telling Bond he was behind Silva means that retroactively, in Skyfall, Bond was the true target, not M ) they've turned Bond into a soap opera character, burdening him with illogical, badly written nonsense that they are going to have a hard time writing him out of. Still though, once the magic is all but gone they'll change tack and, if their smart, we'll get another reboot.

81

Re: Spectre, one year later

OHMSS
LTK
DAD
CR
QOS
SP

All have Bond going rogue in it. I too agree that Bond should be obeying a bit more.

“The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
-Casino Royale, Ian Fleming

82

Re: Spectre, one year later

James Suzuki wrote:

OHMSS
LTK
DAD
CR
QOS
SP

All have Bond going rogue in it. I too agree that Bond should be obeying a bit more.

Especially in Craigs films since their all interconnected. His character is too erratic to make sense ( much like soap opera character ).

83

Re: Spectre, one year later

jim78 wrote:
James Suzuki wrote:

OHMSS
LTK
DAD
CR
QOS
SP

All have Bond going rogue in it. I too agree that Bond should be obeying a bit more.

Especially in Craigs films since their all interconnected. His character is too erratic to make sense ( much like soap opera character ).

Yeah Craig's Bond is a lousy employee. Its amazing how he remains employed since he quits or goes off the grid in some form in every film.

@ddspike21

84

Re: Spectre, one year later

Was Blofeld trying and, at the same time, not trying to kill Bond in his other films? What exactly was the danger to him? If Blofeld was responsible for everything why wasn't he given screenwriting credit on all of Craigs films? Thats the only way I can think of that he authored everything. It doesn't make any sense any other way.

Films need internal logic for me to buy into them.

85

Re: Spectre, one year later

James Suzuki wrote:

OHMSS
LTK
DAD
CR
QOS
SP

All have Bond going rogue in it. I too agree that Bond should be obeying a bit more.

You left out SF. Playing dead is kind of like going rogue, even though he's not doing anything. But kidnapping M and going off the grid is also going rogue.

86

Re: Spectre, one year later

James Suzuki wrote:

OHMSS
LTK
DAD
CR
QOS
SP

All have Bond going rogue in it. I too agree that Bond should be obeying a bit more.

Not sure that I'd count OHMSS int he list. He was on assignment and then tries to resign. M knows and countenances  his actions by granting leave of abscence. It's unofficial, but not quite rogue in my view

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

87

Re: Spectre, one year later

zaphod99 wrote:

Not sure that I'd count OHMSS in the list. He was on assignment and then tries to resign. M knows and countenances  his actions by granting leave of abscence. It's unofficial, but not quite rogue in my view

I believe at the end, M denies Bond support to rescue Tracy, which is why its Draco's gang that actually makes the assault on Piz Gloria
the book is a bit different in these details, does he not carry out the whole infiltration on his own time?

88

Re: Spectre, one year later

Yes sorry, it was a rough list, trying to remember all the times. It gets difficult in the Craig era because it can be so willy-nilly

“The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
-Casino Royale, Ian Fleming

89

Re: Spectre, one year later

Is there a pros and cons topic for SP?
ajb007/martini

1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby

90

Re: Spectre, one year later

Remington wrote:

Is there a pros and cons topic for SP?
ajb007/martini

Pros- Monica in her basque

Cons- everything else.

91

Re: Spectre, one year later

sniperUK wrote:
Remington wrote:

Is there a pros and cons topic for SP?
ajb007/martini

Pros- Monica in her basque

Cons- everything else.

ajb007/cheers

1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby

92

Re: Spectre, one year later

Miles Messervy wrote:

This is the reason I want to see Craig replaced. I like him as Bond, but if he comes back for one more, it will just be more of the same. Bond rogue. Personal connections. Waltz's awful Blofeld. Nothing good can come from another Craig Bond other than the fact my expectations will be so low that it can't disappoint me.

I disagree. Craig in Skyfall and Spectre brought back the "fun entertaining factor". Yes I really appreciate the dark and grittiness of his Casino Royale. I do understand that QoS is an important Bond film to show him slowly becoming the Bond that we have all known throughout the Connery, Roger Moore era etc (despite Craig's Bond being a reboot of course).

I'd really love to see Mendes direct the next one (hoping Craig and Waltz return to finish the Spectre storyline).

Last edited by AnotherDayToDie (19th Jun 2017 19:48)

93

Re: Spectre, one year later

SPECTRE has regenerated my undying love for the James Bond franchise.

Dalton Rulez™

94

Re: Spectre, one year later

Despite the hated storyline,  as a film I live Spectre in fact I'm watching now in the car while waiting for a delivery.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

95

Re: Spectre, one year later

BondJasonBond006 wrote:

SPECTRE has regenerated my undying love for the James Bond franchise.

ajb007/martini
Wait! I knoooooowww you!
ajb007/biggrin

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

96

Re: Spectre, one year later

BondJasonBond006 wrote:

SPECTRE has regenerated my undying love for the James Bond franchise.

You deserve a  ajb007/martini, dirty.
I don't believe I've seen you before in the forums and such opinions aren't very popular here.
So, HELLO.
Anyway,
SPECTRE (as I've noted in my review) was Daniel Craig's Goldfinger. I have the very unpopular opinion of thinking that SPECTRE was a better movie than Skyfall and it's a far, far better movie (and celebration of the franchise).
This is "do spies matter?" done right. Skyfall showed Bond being weak and dismissed him as a relic. That's never what I want to see in a Bond movie, even if it has to happen at some point.
Also, I loved that we finally got to go to some exotic locations. I'm sick and tired of Turkey and London being used as locations.
That's part of why I don't like rewatching TWINE and Skyfall that much.

Last edited by Dirty Punker (16th Jun 2017 16:31)

a reasonable rate of return

97

Re: Spectre, one year later

Dirty Punker wrote:
BondJasonBond006 wrote:

SPECTRE has regenerated my undying love for the James Bond franchise.

You deserve a  ajb007/martini, dirty.
I don't believe I've seen you before in the forums and such opinions aren't very popular here.
So, HELLO.
Anyway,
SPECTRE (as I've noted in my review) was Daniel Craig's Goldfinger. A far, far better movie (and celebration of the franchise).
This "do spies matter?" done right. Unlike Skyfall which showed Bond being weak and being dismissed as a relic. That's never what I want to see in a Bond movie, even if it has to happen at some point.
I have the very unpopular opinion of thinking that SPECTRE was a better movie than Skyfall.

BondJasonBond006 & I agree with you. ajb007/martini

Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool. Craig is too.
#1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.QOS 4.DN 5.GF/GE 6.SP 7.FRWL 8.TB/TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT

98

Re: Spectre, one year later

chrisisall wrote:
Dirty Punker wrote:
BondJasonBond006 wrote:

SPECTRE has regenerated my undying love for the James Bond franchise.

You deserve a  ajb007/martini, dirty.
I don't believe I've seen you before in the forums and such opinions aren't very popular here.
So, HELLO.
Anyway,
SPECTRE (as I've noted in my review) was Daniel Craig's Goldfinger. A far, far better movie (and celebration of the franchise).
This "do spies matter?" done right. Unlike Skyfall which showed Bond being weak and being dismissed as a relic. That's never what I want to see in a Bond movie, even if it has to happen at some point.
I have the very unpopular opinion of thinking that SPECTRE was a better movie than Skyfall.

BondJasonBond006 & I agree with you. ajb007/martini


ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  another three on the house  ajb007/biggrin

@Dirty Punker
While I have been here since late 2015 I have hardly ever participated much. But now you'll see a lot of me.
I have abandoned MI6 Community and come here because over there it is a no-go to love SPECTRE and not love SKYFALL so much.

....wait....ahem....what did you say about unpopular opinions....  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Dalton Rulez™

99

Re: Spectre, one year later

chrisisall wrote:
Dirty Punker wrote:
BondJasonBond006 wrote:

SPECTRE has regenerated my undying love for the James Bond franchise.

You deserve a  ajb007/martini, dirty.
Anyway SPECTRE (as I've noted in my review) was Daniel Craig's Goldfinger. A far, far better movie (and celebration of the franchise).
I have the very unpopular opinion of thinking that SPECTRE was a better movie than Skyfall.

BondJasonBond006 & I agree with you. ajb007/martini

And I agree with all of you, I thought Spectre was brilliant! Drinks all round  ajb007/martini

100

Re: Spectre, one year later

JTM wrote:
chrisisall wrote:
Dirty Punker wrote:

You deserve a  ajb007/martini, dirty.
Anyway SPECTRE (as I've noted in my review) was Daniel Craig's Goldfinger. A far, far better movie (and celebration of the franchise).
I have the very unpopular opinion of thinking that SPECTRE was a better movie than Skyfall.

BondJasonBond006 & I agree with you. ajb007/martini

And I agree with all of you, I thought Spectre was brilliant! Drinks all round  ajb007/martini


Honestly, the love here for SPECTRE is heartwarming!

But we have to be careful about the many  ajb007/martini  we'll be drunk soon  ajb007/lol

so let's have another round YAY  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/biggrin

Dalton Rulez™