Re: Where Eagles Dare

Again,  I see why you say that.  But I never liked the FF-movies.  They were too much about posing and lacked heartless,   IMO.  Yet again,  this is very personal and there will never be a right or wrong answer (until I come up with it  ajb007/biggrin)

I love the F&F films, as I picture myself as Vin Diesel. ajb007/biggrin

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Chriscoop wrote:

The soundtrack is also awesome, I love a lot of those old film soundtracks,  wed along with zulu are majestic,  Kellys heroes is just good fun with its military drum style,  I know Barry did zulu who did the score for wed?  and is there further listening from the composer?
I had a very bizarre memory this morning, my uncle whos funeral is today used to always say "Danny boy calling broadsword" everytime he was on a mobile phone with a bad line!  A great memory.

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle mate. I hope the funeral went okay. And thanks for sharing that touching story

I saw Where Eagles Dare when it came out at the pictures in 1968 (I think).  Like most 12 year old lads it blew me away.  I still remember that the intermission was when Clint fixes all the bombs in the large castle room as he closes the door with said bomb on a wire on the other side.

Brilliant film.

FRWl, OHMSS, CR, TSWLM, GF, SF, TLD,  LTK, TND, DN, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TMWTGG, QOS, SPECTRE, YOLT, TB, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK.

"Do you expect me to talk?  "No Mister Bond I expect you to die"

As for modern day equivalents, the only thing I can really think of is Inglourious Basterds, which is obviously in part a homage to this type of film. I'm sure most of you have seen it but I would highly recommend it if you haven't  ajb007/martini

Revolver66 wrote:

As for modern day equivalents, the only thing I can really think of is Inglourious Basterds, which is obviously in part a homage to this type of film. I'm sure most of you have seen it but I would highly recommend it if you haven't  ajb007/martini

I had that bought for me as a birthday present earlier this year, and it is a good film.

FRWl, OHMSS, CR, TSWLM, GF, SF, TLD,  LTK, TND, DN, FYEO, OP,TWINE, GE, LALD, TMWTGG, QOS, SPECTRE, YOLT, TB, MR, DAF, DAD, AVTAK.

Inglorious Bastereds is very much like WED,  The Eagle's Nest etc.  in content,  but not tone. It's about commandoes and pils infiltrating occupation Europe for a secret operations against the nazis.  But the jumpsuiten in time and plot,  use of music, extreme violence and awareness of other movies are very different from the WED-style movies.

Not sure if I fully agree with that. WED would have been relatively violent for its time, and whilst there is much more subtext to Basterds, they are of the same genre. IG would not exist without films like WED and whilst the tone is different they are the same style and genre of film. Kinda like Moonraker compared to License to Kill. Different tones, but both Bond films.

UnderwaterBattle007 wrote:

I saw Where Eagles Dare when it came out at the pictures in 1968 (I think).  Like most 12 year old lads it blew me away.  I still remember that the intermission was when Clint fixes all the bombs in the large castle room as he closes the door with said bomb on a wire on the other side.

Brilliant film.

I had forgotten that there was an intermission until you mentioned it. It wasn't that long a movie but quite a few movies in the 60's had intermissions now I come to think of it. It looks like we are the exact same age UB007 - movies seemed more exciting in those days.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Not another couple of old gits ! ajb007/tongue  ajb007/biggrin

Old is the new young TP  ajb007/biggrin

Anyway you will get there sooner or later  ajb007/lol

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Revolver66 wrote:

Not sure if I fully agree with that. WED would have been relatively violent for its time, and whilst there is much more subtext to Basterds, they are of the same genre. IG would not exist without films like WED and whilst the tone is different they are the same style and genre of film. Kinda like Moonraker compared to License to Kill. Different tones, but both Bond films.

I'd say we agree. Different tone, same genere.

Thunderpussy wrote:

Not another couple of old gits ! ajb007/tongue  ajb007/biggrin

https://s29.postimg.cc/4d8dg9iw3/AA_OLD_MAN.jpg

Cheeky young whippersnapper....

Thinking about it  "Danny boy calling broadsword" would make a fantastic ringtone   ajb007/biggrin

I think valkyrie with Tom Cruise has similar elements, has anyone seen fury with Brad Pitt? I haven't but it's on my to watch list,  maybe that film takes inspiration from the likes of wed?
I've always liked the longest day, young Sean connery, gert frober,  Richard burtons part I always find brilliant " his boots are on the wrong feet" and big John Wayne, possibly the only film where he doesn't fire a shot or throw a punch.

Last edited by Chriscoop (8th Dec 2016 20:07)

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Another old film but The Wild Geese would ( in my opinion) have the same spirit as WED.

Yes of course wild geese  ajb007/cheers Excellent choice tp
And the dirty dozen?

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Another oldie "The Sea Wolves" ?

Thunderpussy wrote:

Thinking about it  "Danny boy calling broadsword" would make a fantastic ringtone   ajb007/biggrin

ajb007/bond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWMgqtspbhI

If this link works in your country, I envy you. Harry Enfield in "The Dogs Of Death", a parody of WED.

In the spirit of this thread I re-watched Where Eagles Dare tonight.
Just as I remembered, the film totally rules until the 1 hour 40 minute mark and then almost becomes unwatchable.

After the interrogation scene with Cartwright Jones is over I get the urge to skip the next 30 minutes and cut to the chase with the red bus.

1. Smith and Shaffer assisinate everyone in the room, yet take 3 hostages?! They are in no position to do so. Just kill them like the rest!!! Besides, it's not like Smith is too keen on courtroom trials anyway. It's such a hassle to keep an eye on them and of course things go wrong.

2. Why do they think a big diversion is needed in order to escape?
They could just walk out of there and no one would even notice. Everyone who knew the truth would be dead in that room and not discovered until the next morning. No need for dynamite and creating tons of chaos. I thought this was a stealth mission.

3. Clint sneaking up on the guy with the knife is so retarded. Why not use the silenced pistol? Then right after he has sounded the alarm, Burton easily shoots him from the doorway. OMG
Triggering the alarm has a huge effect on the plot which draws more attention to this gaffe.

Last edited by Firemass (11th Dec 2016 09:39)

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. MR 2. GE 3. TSWLM 4. DN 5. GF 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK

Funny seeing this thread, since I plan to watch WED sometime in the next few days as part of my yearly private viewing ritual of movies set in winter, along with OHMSS and Billion Dollar Brain; I consider WED and OHMSS as cinematic cousins from different genres because they're so alike.  I highly recommend the 116 page commemorative magazine published by Cinema Retro, which also frequently features Bond movies in their monthly issues:

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/a … ISSUE.html

Here's my 1/6 rendition of WED in the appropriate holiday setting:
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/photo/data/500/Schloss_Adler_Christmas_Greeting.jpg

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

superado wrote:

I plan to watch WED sometime in the next few days as part of my yearly private viewing ritual of movies set in winter, along with OHMSS and Billion Dollar Brain

3 of my favourite films there!  ajb007/smile

CoolHandBond wrote:
UnderwaterBattle007 wrote:

Brilliant film.

I had forgotten that there was an intermission until you mentioned it. It wasn't that long a movie but quite a few movies in the 60's had intermissions now I come to think of it. It looks like we are the exact same age UB007 - movies seemed more exciting in those days.

It would seem we are of a similar age.  I think going to the pictures back then was a real treat, which made it more magical. 

I remember in my parents house in the 60's we didn't call "Fish and Chips" but "Chips and Fish". 

That was because my parents could afford the chips but not necessarily the fish every time, and if you got fish it was a real treat.

As I saw many a Bond film back in those days at the pictures. 

Thunderballs intermission was after Largos frogmen had finished securing the camouflage netting over the Vulcan bomber on the sea bed. 

Goldfinger I think was after the laser beam scene with Bond strapped to that table. 

From Russia With Love I think the break was after the scene where the filming of Bond through the two way mirror.  I can't remember anymore unfortunately.

We live in a different World now.

Last edited by UnderwaterBattle007 (12th Dec 2016 23:17)