751

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

zaphod99 wrote:
Matt S wrote:
HowardB wrote:

Lots of young handsome tall actors out there who might look the part...but the real test is do they have the charisma and screen presence to be Bond. Easy to look like Bond, hard to "be" Bond.

Daniel Craig has no screen presence, no charisma and doesn't have the classic Bond look, and yet he still got the role.

What is undeniable is the critical and commercial success of the Craig era. I'm not by any means a fan-boy but he must have something.

I reckon the Brosnan type Bond was seen as too old-fashioned, perhaps a bit too remote or not relatable to a modern 21st century audience. People find it easier to relate to Matt Damon's Jason Bourne or tv's Jack Bauer? I guess so. Be it some great tactical decision or pure luck, B Broccoli cast a more average bloke as Bond (Daniel Craig) and people found it easier to relate to him. People accept him in the role so the franchise continues to make money. That's my guess.

Personally, I've never felt Craig was right for the part although he does bring out Bond's 'blunt instrument of the state' persona, I guess. But overall I find him a tad miscast. 

My guess is a sixth Craig Bond film is going to depend on the list of potential replacements. If there isn't a really strong candidate I can see Eon persuading Craig to do a sixth. Offer him enough money and he'll return!

752

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

kmrbmt216a wrote:

Richard Madden...I watched "Bodyguard" on Netflix not long ago and if this wasn't his "audition" I don't know what is.

Daily Mail is reporting that Bodyguard producers think Madden is a real contender for Bond.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a … -Bond.html

It's more likely this is another example of Bond being used to promote something else. Bond26, even assuming DC is not doing it, won't be out until 2023, probably, so there is plenty of time for Bodyguard series 2 and 3 to be made.

753

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Someone wrote:
kmrbmt216a wrote:

Richard Madden...I watched "Bodyguard" on Netflix not long ago and if this wasn't his "audition" I don't know what is.

Daily Mail is reporting that Bodyguard producers think Madden is a real contender for Bond.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a … -Bond.html

It's more likely this is another example of Bond being used to promote something else. Bond26, even assuming DC is not doing it, won't be out until 2023, probably, so there is plenty of time for Bodyguard series 2 and 3 to be made.

Agreed, its nonsense, they have plenty of time. In any event Madden is wrong for Bond, hed be an even more of a one note blunt instrument. Also one listing has him at 5ft 9 and a half. I know this is a hobby horse, but surely there must be limits.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

754

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Saw the first season of Bodyguard and liked the show and Madden very much. Madden was great as the PTSD afflicted PPO but I don't see him as Bond.

755

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Pretty sure Daniel Craig will be Bond in Bond 26, so it’s an academic discussion.

756

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Miles Messervy wrote:

Pretty sure Daniel Craig will be Bond in Bond 26, so it’s an academic discussion.

Craig staying on for Bond 26, especially so they can release it in 2022, makes the most sense.

757

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Matt S wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:

Pretty sure Daniel Craig will be Bond in Bond 26, so it’s an academic discussion.

Craig staying on for Bond 26, especially so they can release it in 2022, makes the most sense.

Yep. And despite all of his surly comments, he obviously likes it or he would’ve quit by now. I’m sure the money is a factor, but I think he also likes the challenge of making the films, and the latitude it affords him to pursue passion projects.

758

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

It would be nice, but I highly doubt Bond26 is released in 2022.

759

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Number24 wrote:

It would be nice, but I highly doubt Bond26 is released in 2022.

Novemeber 2022 is almost 3 years after the release date of Bond 25. Spectre was released three years after Skyfall, and I think they could do it again minus a couple months. That's the only way I can imagine we'll get Craig's A View to a Kill.

760

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Good point. I just figured 2020 + 2 = 2022, but obviously you're right in thinking in terms of months.

761

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Miles Messervy wrote:

Pretty sure Daniel Craig will be Bond in Bond 26, so it’s an academic discussion.

I really hope that you are wrong. I can see him pulling it together to cleanse the bad taste left by the disappointing Spectre, but doing another one surely not. It was hard enough to get him back for this one so coming back again again? I think that after this he'll be done with Bond and we can all move on.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

762

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

About 85% of the members who's voted in the Bond25 poll think Bond25 is Craig's last, but we can be wrong.

763

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

zaphod99 wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:

Pretty sure Daniel Craig will be Bond in Bond 26, so it’s an academic discussion.

I really hope that you are wrong. I can see him pulling it together to cleanse the bad taste left by the disappointing Spectre, but doing another one surely not. It was hard enough to get him back for this one so coming back again again? I think that after this he'll be done with Bond and we can all move on.

That would be my preference as well. But I can’t shake the feeling that Craig will do two more. We have very little idea what is going on behind the scenes of this one.

764

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

If Craig really enjoys working with Fukunaga, Bond 25 is a big critical success and Box Office hit (like SF) and he doesn't get too beat up physically....then may be he comes back. I'd be ok with that with the caveat that they can get the next one out within three years and if Craig still manages to look "formidable" as opposed to "laughable" in 25. That being said, as much as I like Craig as Bond, I'm more than game for a younger recastring and soft reboot for 26.

765

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Just got back from seeing The Favourite. I recall that Nicholas Hoult  has been mentioned as a possible. In about 5 years he could be very  plausible.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

766

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Oh yeah, all I think of with Hoult was when played a dorky kid in about a boy alongside Hugh Grant.
I feel like he's too "pretty boy" for Bond. Doesn't have that Menace or manliness we need.
Bring on Dan Stevens or Cavill,

“The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
-Casino Royale, Ian Fleming

767

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

There are some young British actors who have potential, such as Nicolas Hoult, Max Irons and Tom Hughes. But they are pale, lanky, not very masculine and frankly don't quite look like men yet. Like you said, young people can change a lot in five years

That being said, I still haven't seen any potential for playing James Bond in Dan Stevens. I simply don't.

768

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Number24 wrote:

There are some young British actors who have potential, such as Nicolas Hoult, Max Irons and Tom Hughes. But they are pale, lanky, not very masculine and frankly don't quite look like men yet. Like you said, young people can change a lot in five years

That being said, I still haven't seen any potential for playing James Bond in Dan Stevens. I simply don't.

Have you seen him in The Guest? If not it might change your mind as it did mine.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

769

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

I've seen the trailer and photos and I've seen lots of photos of him. Not to mention Downton Abby. He doesn't look tough enough.

770

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Number24 wrote:

I've seen the trailer and photos and I've seen lots of photos of him. Not to mention Downton Abby. He doesn't look tough enough.

He can look at least as tough as Brozzer or Sir Roger. After the very blunt instrument it might be good to shift the emphasis a bit. He would not be my first choice but I think he could be credible Tom Cullen is currently my pick, he has the balance of toughness and charisma in my view.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

771

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

zaphod99 wrote:
Number24 wrote:

There are some young British actors who have potential, such as Nicolas Hoult, Max Irons and Tom Hughes. But they are pale, lanky, not very masculine and frankly don't quite look like men yet. Like you said, young people can change a lot in five years

That being said, I still haven't seen any potential for playing James Bond in Dan Stevens. I simply don't.

Have you seen him in The Guest? If not it might change your mind as it did mine.

I can see Stevens as Bond now after seeing the guest.
He's VERY charming, almost menacingly charming and suave.  ajb007/martini

“The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning. "
-Casino Royale, Ian Fleming

772

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

zaphod99 wrote:
Number24 wrote:

I've seen the trailer and photos and I've seen lots of photos of him. Not to mention Downton Abby. He doesn't look tough enough.

He can look at least as tough as Brozzer or Sir Roger. After the very blunt instrument it might be good to shift the emphasis a bit. He would not be my first choice but I think he could be credible Tom Cullen is currently my pick, he has the balance of toughness and charisma in my view.

ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

773

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Okey. After having another look at Dan Stevens I've come to the conclusion that he isn't completely out of the question, he's at least worth some consideration. What are forums worth if we can't be adult enough to see other people's point of view sometimes?  ajb007/bond

774

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Number24 wrote:

Okey. After having another look at Dan Stevens I've come to the conclusion that he isn't completely out of the question, he's at least worth some consideration. What are forums worth if we can't be adult enough to see other people's point of view sometimes?  ajb007/bond

Very well put.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

775

Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

I've been watching SSGB and I think Sam Riley would be perfect..plus he's not too old...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/59/Sam_Riley_Das_finstere_Tal_Wien_2014_%28cropped%29.jpg/220px-Sam_Riley_Das_finstere_Tal_Wien_2014_%28cropped%29.jpg

"I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)