Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Cheverian wrote:

Skrein is also one of the stars of "Midway" which seems to be doing lukewarm box office at best. Do these things weigh against him? Who knows? Personally, I find Skrein smarmy. It's easy to see that he comes out of the rap world since he carries himself with such arrogance. It worked for him as the villain in "Deadpool," though.

In my opinion a new Bond actor shouldnt be a star big enough to open a major international movie, so weirdly it could be positive for Skrein. If the films bombed because of him it would be a different matter.

Number24 wrote:
Cheverian wrote:

Skrein is also one of the stars of "Midway" which seems to be doing lukewarm box office at best. Do these things weigh against him? Who knows? Personally, I find Skrein smarmy. It's easy to see that he comes out of the rap world since he carries himself with such arrogance. It worked for him as the villain in "Deadpool," though.

In my opinion a new Bond actor shouldnt be a star big enough to open a major international movie, so weirdly it could be positive for Skrein. If the films bombed because of him it would be a different matter.

Good point.

Jarvio wrote:

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau would have been great but he's too old now.

Iain Glen might have been good in his younger days.

Richard Madden not particularly IMO, out of all Game Of Thrones actors I would have not even thought of him.

Looking back on this post, Iain Glen would make an awesome M.

1 - Lald, 2 - Ltk, 3 - Avtak, 4 - Op, 5 - Dn, 6 - Fyeo, 7 - Tswlm, 8 - Daf, 9 - Sf, 10 - Ohmss, 11 - Yolt, 12 - Ge, 13 - Tld, 14 - Mr, 15 - Gf, 16 - Tb, 17 - Tmwtgg, 18 - Sp, 19 - Tnd, 20 - Dad, 21 - Twine, 22 - Frwl, 23 - Cr, 24 - Qos

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Richard Madden's new GQ photoshoot reminds me of some movie hero, but I can't remember who …... ajb007/shifty

https://tomandlorenzo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Richard-Madden-Bodyguards-James-Bond-GQ-UK-Magazine-Fashion-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-3.jpg

https://www.thefashionisto.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Richard-Madden-2018-British-GQ-002.jpg

https://gq-images.condecdn.net/image/4RD06dm8zlo/crop/1440/0.5235602094240838/f/richard-madden-02-gq-23nov18_b.jpg

Madden's a very good actor IMO and he was great in Bodyguard. Age is not much of an issue (he'd still be under 40 by the time they get around to Bond 26), he's listed at 5'10" which means he is more likely 5'9". The height is not an issue for me.....but for others it could be an issue. As far as any king of humor is concerned, at least from what I have seen, Madden makes Craig's Bond look like Benny Hill. Not my favorite, but I wouldn't protest too much. I'd still go Aidan Turner over Madden if you are going dark/average height. IMO, Turner can actually do charming/roguish in addition to the high intensity.

The heights listed for Richard Madden on the net differ from 5' 9'' to 5' 11''. Most estimates say he's 5' 9'' something. In my opinion his height is a problem, but it doesn't take him out of the running. Could it be your opinion that Madden doesn't do humour be influenced by the fact that he's played a very serious character on GoT for many years?

I'm open to any one at this point - I'm hoping all the rumors about the PC push aren't true, but it seems likely. Hopefully the next 007 is more like Brosnan.

It worries me how often people, or at least the press, seems to think Bond is somehow behind the times if the next Bond actor isn't non-white, female, transgender or ideally all of the above. I've got nothing against any of those groups, but in my opinion Bond is a straight white male and there's nothing wrong about it.
I think the opinions I often see in the media is indicative of a small portion of the population in Europe and North America and even fewer in other Places.

Height aside I thought madden was fantastic in ‘the bodyguard’

John Francis Kennedy wrote:

Height aside I thought madden was fantastic in ‘the bodyguard’

He was very good in it. I don’t quite get a Bond-level vibe from him but you never know. Craig is certainly going to be a tough act to follow.

HowardB wrote:

Madden's a very good actor IMO and he was great in Bodyguard. Age is not much of an issue (he'd still be under 40 by the time they get around to Bond 26), he's listed at 5'10" which means he is more likely 5'9". The height is not an issue for me.....but for others it could be an issue. As far as any king of humor is concerned, at least from what I have seen, Madden makes Craig's Bond look like Benny Hill. Not my favorite, but I wouldn't protest too much. I'd still go Aidan Turner over Madden if you are going dark/average height. IMO, Turner can actually do charming/roguish in addition to the high intensity.

He's all kinds of wrong for the reasons you cite.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

zaphod99 wrote:
HowardB wrote:

I've seen Madden in three things: Game of Thrones, Bastille Day (has a different title in the States; ironically both Madden and Idris Elba play Americans although the setting is Europe) and all the episodes of Bodyguard. In not one single minute on the screen was there a moment of levity or even dark humor in Madden's performances. Now in fairness, except for Bastille Day (Madden plays some manner of thief) was there really any room for humor. I wonder if EON ends up going to the obvious choice (or maybe the "safe" choice), Henry Cavill. They certainly liked him enough that he almost landed CR. For whatever reason, Cavill is beginning to grow on me and after the very popular Craig, an obvious choice who pretty much checks all the Bond boxes and has international name recognition could be the way EON goes.

HowardB wrote:
zaphod99 wrote:
HowardB wrote:

I've seen Madden in three things: Game of Thrones, Bastille Day (has a different title in the States; ironically both Madden and Idris Elba play Americans although the setting is Europe) and all the episodes of Bodyguard. In not one single minute on the screen was there a moment of levity or even dark humor in Madden's performances. Now in fairness, except for Bastille Day (Madden plays some manner of thief) was there really any room for humor. I wonder if EON ends up going to the obvious choice (or maybe the "safe" choice), Henry Cavill. They certainly liked him enough that he almost landed CR. For whatever reason, Cavill is beginning to grow on me and after the very popular Craig, an obvious choice who pretty much checks all the Bond boxes and has international name recognition could be the way EON goes.

I agree with Cavill, he's growing on me too.  I think he'd be an ideal follow up to Daniel.  I'm an Aidan Turner fan as well and think he'd also be a great choice as Daniel's successor.

You're that English secret agent from England | Instagram: @matchedperfectly | Web: www.matchedperfectly.us

Back in 2005-06 when they were casting James Bond the last time there was some mention of Ben Barnes, best known for playing Prince Caspian in the Narnia films. Then he looked like  member of a boy band and overly modelish, so I didn't like him. Now  he's had roles in Westworld and Punisher among other things and Barnes looks more rugged. He's born in 1981 so he's nearly too old, but I think he's young looking enough in my opinion. He's also an experienced  British actor who isn't a star yet, but with good looks, a good height and dark hair. Worth considering, I think.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Barnes_(actor)#Film

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ba/62/33/ba6233cd94064750938021bfc51c2b8c.jpg

Last edited by Number24 (16th Dec 2019 18:34)

Barnes is one of those British actors who most people in the USA have no idea is British. He seems to be playing mostly villains these days and he was fine as a former military/black ops turned villain in The Punisher. He's 38....don't know if EON will want someone who will be over 40 by the time they get around to Bond 26. I don't know if he has the screen presence / charisma to actually portray Bond. IMO, Turner and Cavill do, especially Turner. I was good with Tom Hiddleston for Bond but he's another one who would be on the other side of 40 for Bond 26. One of the Hemsworth brothers would be interesting but Chris is too big a star and would cost too $$$$$. Liam needs a bit more maturity but in another 4 years he will only be 33 but he doesn't have his older brothers screen presence and magnetism.

Last edited by HowardB (16th Dec 2019 19:52)

If you want to see Ben Barnes showing charm and charisma onscreen I think "Easy virtue" is a good pick.
Unfortunately he's one of several Bond candidates who're on the wrong side of 35: Ed Skrein (36), Sam Hueghan (39), Aidan Turner (36), Tom Ellis (41). It's not ideal because they'll be nearing fifty around the time they make Bond 28, but I think it's preferable to a weaker young candidate. The only candidate I can think of right now who's interesting and under 35 is Max Irons (34) and Aaron Tylor-Johnsson (29).

Last edited by Number24 (16th Dec 2019 20:36)

HowardB wrote:

Barnes is one of those British actors who most people in the USA have no idea is British. He seems to be playing mostly villains these days and he was fine as a former military/black ops turned villain in The Punisher. He's 38....don't know if EON will want someone who will be over 40 by the time they get around to Bond 26. I don't know if he has the screen presence / charisma to actually portray Bond. IMO, Turner and Cavill do, especially Turner. I was good with Tom Hiddleston for Bond but he's another one who would be on the other side of 40 for Bond 26. One of the Hemsworth brothers would be interesting but Chris is too big a star and would cost too $$$$$. Liam needs a bit more maturity but in another 4 years he will only be 33 but he doesn't have his older brothers screen presence and magnetism.

You mention Hiddleston and I remember seeing him in King Kong where he’s supposed to be some special forces SAS type, and doesn’t convince at all: he looks like a stiff breeze could blow him over. I certainly think one part of Craig’s legacy is that the next Bond will need to be a convincing tough guy. I’m not sure Brosnan would actually get the part nowadays! ajb007/smile

I think actors like Aidan Turner or Ben Barnes would have to build more muscle mass if they got the role, but I don't think or hope the next Bond will bulk up like Craig did for CR.

Number24 wrote:

I think actors like Aidan Turner or Ben Barnes would have to build more muscle mass if they got the role, but I don't think or hope the next Bond will bulk up like Craig did for CR.

Yeah I don’t think they have to be bulky; I think I could buy Turner as he carries himself in a convincing way- he can be believably tough in a way that Hiddleston (for my money anyway) can’t.

emtiem wrote:
Number24 wrote:

Yeah I don’t think they have to be bulky; I think I could buy Turner as he carries himself in a convincing way- he can be believably tough in a way that Hiddleston (for my money anyway) can’t.

Seconded.

I certainly don’t envy the Broccolis in trying to find a new one. I guess this’ll be only the fourth time they’ve done it (MGW at least), which sounds like quite a few times but over the course of 35 years that’s not very often at all! ajb007/smile And on two of those occasions they cast the same guy, so it’s evidently not like there are loads to choose from!
As much as he’s got to be tough, that’s really just another criterion which has been added onto the pile: he’s got to be a brilliant movie star first and foremost, as well as being extremely handsome and charismatic, and then on top of that ideally athletic too. Of the current crop of British actors who aren’t Craig I find it hard to think of many: Idris Elba probably genuinely is the one that fits the bill best and hits all of those requirements, but he’s just too old to sign up for the next ten years or so.

It must’ve been so good when Eon saw Layer Cake and there was their next Bond just stood there, fully formed. They must be desperately hoping for the next Layer Cake to pop up soon! ajb007/smile

emtiem wrote:
Number24 wrote:

Turner has done some shirtless scenes in Poldark and he has got himself pretty jacked and ripped, so I don't think that would be an issue. You could tell Barnes got fit and put some lean muscle on for his role in The Punisher but he has more of a Brosnan type build in general. But there's no question that Craig has set a standard of looking in shape and formidable even at 50+ which is now part of the current Bond canon.

After recently finishing my marathon of re-watching all 24 bond films (+NSNA), it has made me realise even more than ever that I long for the days where they churn out romp after romp every 2 years. Do you think we will ever get back to this after the DC era is over?

1 - Lald, 2 - Ltk, 3 - Avtak, 4 - Op, 5 - Dn, 6 - Fyeo, 7 - Tswlm, 8 - Daf, 9 - Sf, 10 - Ohmss, 11 - Yolt, 12 - Ge, 13 - Tld, 14 - Mr, 15 - Gf, 16 - Tb, 17 - Tmwtgg, 18 - Sp, 19 - Tnd, 20 - Dad, 21 - Twine, 22 - Frwl, 23 - Cr, 24 - Qos

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

emtiem wrote:

I certainly don’t envy the Broccolis in trying to find a new one. I guess this’ll be only the fourth time they’ve done it (MGW at least), which sounds like quite a few times but over the course of 35 years that’s not very often at all! ajb007/smile And on two of those occasions they cast the same guy, so it’s evidently not like there are loads to choose from!
As much as he’s got to be tough, that’s really just another criterion which has been added onto the pile: he’s got to be a brilliant movie star first and foremost, as well as being extremely handsome and charismatic, and then on top of that ideally athletic too. Of the current crop of British actors who aren’t Craig I find it hard to think of many: Idris Elba probably genuinely is the one that fits the bill best and hits all of those requirements, but he’s just too old to sign up for the next ten years or so.

It must’ve been so good when Eon saw Layer Cake and there was their next Bond just stood there, fully formed. They must be desperately hoping for the next Layer Cake to pop up soon! ajb007/smile

I agree picking the right actor for the role is difficult, but I have a more optimistic view. I can think of about five guys who has real potential, but of cource there are no guarantees. There is also a good chance they'll find someone we never thought of like they did with Daniel Craig. By the way, it wasn't Layer Cake that put Craig on Barabara Broccoli's radar, een though it may have been that movie that halped convinced others who had to be convinced. I read in an interiew it was "Elizabeth" way back in 1998 that gave Barbara Broccoli the idea that Craig could be Bond.

I'm personally still fond of Hiddleston - I remember people saying Craig was too slight for the part(!), so a person's physique is hardly set in stone. But I've been a Cavill supporter since pre-Craig, so obviously I'd be fine with that.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM