Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Morph all three and I think we have our next James Bond! Heck, Peter Northug even has a bit of Hoagy Carmichael about him..!

"Any of the opposition around..?"

Pains me to say as a Sarnian...he was taking the piss making us believe Superman could come from Jersey, Bond would be too much...but Cavill will be great if he gets it, he wants it so much, I just believe he'd give it everything...a;though he may or may not be about to ruin Holmes so I reserve the right to deny I ever wrote this!

I suspect that Cavill is just fine in that new Holmes movie.  He's probably a very minor role, anyways.

Even then, he's got major heat on him lately.  THE WITCHER was a huge hit, and he knows how to keep himself 'hot' on social media.  The fact that he's a massive gamer in real life has tremendous appeal to the young crop out there.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

Gymkata wrote:

I suspect that Cavill is just fine in that new Holmes movie.  He's probably a very minor role, anyways.

Even then, he's got major heat on him lately.  THE WITCHER was a huge hit, and he knows how to keep himself 'hot' on social media.  The fact that he's a massive gamer in real life has tremendous appeal to the young crop out there.

I suspect you're correct....and yes the gamer love is real. How he carried that into The Witcher speaks really well to his eye for the details, another plus for Bond.

Although having re-watched Man from UNCLE again recently I hope they hire Armie Hammer as his stylist!  ajb007/lol

Just to play devil's advocate a bit: is the blindingly handsome, square jawed / cleft chin Cavill a bit too perfect for Bond? So perfect, that for contemporary audiences he would come off as "generic" or too "Hollywood" especially given Cavill's propensity to come off a bit "wooden".

That's the way I feel about him.

HowardB wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate a bit: is the blindingly handsome, square jawed / cleft chin Cavill a bit too perfect for Bond? So perfect, that for contemporary audiences he would come off as "generic" or too "Hollywood" especially given Cavill's propensity to come off a bit "wooden".

nobody wrote:

That's the way I feel about him.

HowardB wrote:

I'd be ok with Cavill as Bond. I think the writers would need to really lay on the cold blooded assassin angle to compensate.

Wooden is harsh...I think that's the mould for Superman. Night Hunter, Sand Castle and other bits have shown he's got chops.

I'd also cite the third act of JUSTICE LEAGUE (not a good movie...) for finally letting Henry be charming and fun as Superman.  I think he'd be fine as Bond but, like Hemsworth, he'd absolutely stand out.  You'd never be able to buy this guy blending into the background or simply evading notice.  He's built like a wedge and way too handsome for his own good.

I still say Tom Ellis, the heck with age.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

I continue to think Charlie Hunnam might get the nod, although I do believe they will go with a “non-white” actor next tome around...

Hunnam is 41, although he appears younger. Hunnam looks like a younger, taller, less craggy, more classically handsome version of
Craig. IMO, age not withstanding, I don't know if Hunnam has the screen presence or charisma for Bond.

Hunnan seems like a younger, lesser Craig. I also think the voice of Bond is important and Hunnan's voice is to high pitched.

Hunnam always feels like a bit of a charisma failure whenever I see him onscreen.
Good call though, I'm sure he'd be on the list of candidates.

I have sat on my opinion about Cavill for awhile. I think he was an okay Superman, should have named the movie Okayman. He was good in MI 75 or whatever it was. I honestly would be very disappointed if he became Bond. I thought I was upset when Craig was named Bond, but Cavill as Bond would almost make me not wanna watch his version, though I would. I just don't enjoy his talent. I have tried too.

"History isn't kind to men who play God." - DC "I gave him the limp." - PB  "Better make that two." - TD

"Keeping British end up, sir." - RM "This never happened to the other fellow." - JL "I must be dreaming." SC

Yes I don't see Cavill as having 'it', although to be fair he was decent in Fallout.

I'd fully support Cavill in the role if it went to him...but then I still fancy Tom Hiddleston as well. I'm genuinely curious to see who gets it. Probably no one on the radar  ajb007/bond

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

I'm hoping it's a (mostly) unknown guy without any big roles or name.

James Norton looking very good in the new Belstaff campaign;
https://www.belstaff.co.uk/home?gclid=E … gLN_PD_BwE

"Any of the opposition around..?"

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
Gymkata wrote:

You need to believe that he can fight.  That was one of my major gripes with Pierce Brosnan...he was never convincing in hand to hand fights.  I'm also pretty sure that his slight build is why they turned every one of his action sequences into a bullet storm.

Holy cow, I never thought of that. That's a pretty good theory.

Believable in a fight while exuding cool? I'm still in the Dan Stevens camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjAJzyCfjA

Goldeneye Sean Bean bust up? Very convincing in my view in fact one of the best in the series. Not claiming to be an expert but I practiced Martial Arts  for many years and competed in Full Contact bouts and believe that I have a reasonable sense of this stuff

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

zaphod99 wrote:
Gymkata wrote:

You need to believe that he can fight.  That was one of my major gripes with Pierce Brosnan...he was never convincing in hand to hand fights.  I'm also pretty sure that his slight build is why they turned every one of his action sequences into a bullet storm.

Holy cow, I never thought of that. That's a pretty good theory.

Believable in a fight while exuding cool? I'm still in the Dan Stevens camp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjAJzyCfjA

Goldeneye Sean Bean bust up? Very convincing in my view in fact one of the best in the series. Not claiming to be an expert but I practiced Martial Arts  for many years and competed in Full Contact bouts and believe that I have a reasonable sense of this stuff

Agree 100%. IMO, PB's relative lack of hand to hand opportunities in those films was more a reflection of the Bond films being influenced by the gun battle fireworks popularized at that time in the Hong Kong action films of John Woo not some lack of ability on PB's part. As anyone who has been around boxing and martial arts should know, thin wirey guys like PB can be hellacious fighters and can pack a bigger punch than the thick muscled up guys.

I’m so glad we (the people on this forum) are not involved in the selection process.  ajb007/lol

For my two cents - Cavill is a total No-Brainer and if he hadn’t subsequently played such a prominent role as Superman I think he’d be a shoo-in.

That being said, the role of Superman (and Batman) is pretty transient these days and by the time he dons the Tuxedo to be Bond, it’s probably likely that a Superman “reboot” would be on the cards.

His role as a supporting character in Mission Impossible is probably more problematic.

Jflynn2112 wrote:

For my two cents - Cavill is a total No-Brainer and if he hadn’t subsequently played such a prominent role as Superman I think he’d be a shoo-in.

That being said, the role of Superman (and Batman) is pretty transient these days and by the time he dons the Tuxedo to be Bond, it’s probably likely that a Superman “reboot” would be on the cards.

His role as a supporting character in Mission Impossible is probably more problematic.

Eon might blanche just as much at his turn as Napoleon Solo in MAN FROM UNCLE.

BlindManBaldwin wrote:

I'm hoping it's a (mostly) unknown guy without any big roles or name.

I’m with you. That way I will be more focused on Bond as a character, and not so much on the actor portraying him.

"Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."

Jflynn2112 wrote:

Eon might blanche just as much at his turn as Napoleon Solo in MAN FROM UNCLE.

Oh yea! Forgot about that completely!