Re: Poll: Who would you like to be the next James Bond in Bond 26?

Based on experience from DAD the producers would use the best CGI technology available too   ajb007/shifty

I am pretty sure Alfie Clarke will be the next James Bond

Shatterfang wrote:
HowardB wrote:

Now they can digitally "de-age" actors. It was used to take years off DeNiro and Pacino in The Irishman and to a much lesser, but in some ways more effectively, for Brad Pitt in Allied. The rub is, the technology is very, very expensive. Based upon the Bond track record, EON will probably go for a lesser known but well regarded actor in their early to mid 30's and it won't be a model type or boy band member who spends a lot of time in the gym. ajb007/lol

Very true. You could not have gotten better de-ageing tech if you left Deniro and Pesci's wax dummies in a boiler room for six hours. Also the Irishman made the interesting choice of having young Deniro and young Pesci shuffle around like old men and talk with old men's voices, creating a fascinating dissonance that was never annoying.

I've seen some videos about the making of The Irishman and what also made the de-aging that much more difficult was that they de-aged them to look more like the actual people they were playing as opposed to just making them look like younger versions of themselves. Also, with regards to "shuffling around", DeNiro who is not "short" at around 5'11" (given his age probably more like 5'10" or less these days) was playing a guy who in real life was a very big guy (Frank Sheeran was 6'4" and over 220 lbs). So in addition to the de-aging, they had him in big clunky elevator boots (think Boris Karloff in Frankenstein) and padded up to look bulkier. IMO, the movie overcame some of this just because the actors were so good in their roles. DeNiro was excellent as was Joe Pesci and Pacino was terrific as he went back to actually acting and not doing another bloviated "Scent of a Woman" "hoo rah" performance.

HowardB wrote:
Shatterfang wrote:
HowardB wrote:

Now they can digitally "de-age" actors. It was used to take years off DeNiro and Pacino in The Irishman and to a much lesser, but in some ways more effectively, for Brad Pitt in Allied. The rub is, the technology is very, very expensive. Based upon the Bond track record, EON will probably go for a lesser known but well regarded actor in their early to mid 30's and it won't be a model type or boy band member who spends a lot of time in the gym. ajb007/lol

Very true. You could not have gotten better de-ageing tech if you left Deniro and Pesci's wax dummies in a boiler room for six hours. Also the Irishman made the interesting choice of having young Deniro and young Pesci shuffle around like old men and talk with old men's voices, creating a fascinating dissonance that was never annoying.

I've seen some videos about the making of The Irishman and what also made the de-aging that much more difficult was that they de-aged them to look more like the actual people they were playing as opposed to just making them look like younger versions of themselves. Also, with regards to "shuffling around", DeNiro who is not "short" at around 5'11" (given his age probably more like 5'10" or less these days) was playing a guy who in real life was a very big guy (Frank Sheeran was 6'4" and over 220 lbs). So in addition to the de-aging, they had him in big clunky elevator boots (think Boris Karloff in Frankenstein) and padded up to look bulkier. IMO, the movie overcame some of this just because the actors were so good in their roles. DeNiro was excellent as was Joe Pesci and Pacino was terrific as he went back to actually acting and not doing another bloviated "Scent of a Woman" "hoo rah" performance.

I suppose in the 12 minutes of screen time that he wasn't sitting down he did look taller than normal. I am glad they retired the old-hat tradition of casting age appropriate actors for their respective characters, but its a too bad they didn't feel comfortable with letting Deniro play Sheeran at age 11 as I believe the technology is there, ex. snapchat. It'd be great to have his childhood of leaving his mother to come to the new world. A thirty minute backstory would help to stretch out the runtime to more of a theater length.

Last edited by Shatterfang (2nd Dec 2020 16:49)

DeNiro is not 5'11". MAYBE 5'8" in his prime. Probably 5'6' now...

Shatterfang wrote:
HowardB wrote:
Shatterfang wrote:

I suppose in the 12 minutes of screen time that he wasn't sitting down he did look taller than normal. I am glad they retired the old-hat tradition of casting age appropriate actors for their respective characters, but its a too bad they didn't feel comfortable with letting Deniro play Sheeran at age 11 as I believe the technology is there, ex. snapchat. It'd be great to have his childhood of leaving his mother to come to the new world. A thirty minute backstory would help to stretch out the runtime to more of a theater length.