Re: Military Service

The newest Russian spetsnaz unit is called Smerch (not "SMERSH" "), meaning "whirlwind". Their missions are high-risk arrests and hunting fugitives. It's remarkable that the name of the unit is so simular to the Stalinist organisation we know from the James Bond novels and I suspect it was done on purpose.

ajb007/lol  I think Putin is a traditionalist, hence
The new cold war.  ajb007/wink

"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

I reckon it was a typo like Tomorrow Never Lies  ajb007/biggrin
Or the Russians cannot spell I mean have you seen how many vowels they have in their words!

Rumour has it Mr Putin likes a good Bond flick in the cinema in the Kremlin, was really upset when they delayed the next Bond film he offered to direct it himself title to be The World in Still Not Enough or You Only Live as Many Times as you want if you are the President  ajb007/lol

Cheers   ajb007/bond

My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!

I found some photos on the net that reminded me a lot of my national service in 1991-92, especially the equipment and situations.

https://www.fosna-folket.no/migration_catalog/article55856.ece/ALTERNATES/w380-default/sb%20Skytehelg%20HVU%2027%20februar%202010093

https://www.t-a.no/incoming/article10131090.ece/BINARY/w380/arkiv_frm1999_1075_document.JPG

https://forsvaret.no/bildearkiv/PubImages/_adsam-AG3-liggeunderlag.jpg

The photo is a bit old, but ….

https://didyouknow.org/lists/files/2010/02/Baily-bridge-launched-by-US-troops.jpg

Fun fact: the artist was a Stay Behind officer:

http://folk.uio.no/tomvs/hsbkf/sbsoldater-cc.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CiDrVTHnHLQ/TXARpnMAklI/AAAAAAAAAC4/4pHSeEWLUhs/s400/haugekrig.jpg

Last edited by Number24 (14th Oct 2018 19:29)

Number24 wrote:

https://www.t-a.no/incoming/article10131090.ece/BINARY/w380/arkiv_frm1999_1075_document.JPG

So it is true, the leadership methods are quite different in Norway! 

"Don't worry dear, you'll hit the target next time..." ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

I can't remember that particulare detail from my service, but that my have been because of my exellent shooting  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Number 24 I wonder what you thought about the rifle? I did not use this rifle but it was in some service in my army as the G3 (I think). It was not popular.

A funny story. I did not fire pistols much. We were shown how to use them but never had to use them only the officers or MP and other troops like that. We cued to fire a pistol one time. I think I was waiting for almost two hours. When it was my turn i got a magazine with three rounds! I fired this in just a few seconds! That was it! 40 minute wait for each bullet shot!

The rifle is an AG3. It's a version of the German G3 produced on licence in Norway. It's almost identical to the G3, but the butt of the rifle is two cm longer, the cocking handle is different, the bolt has groves to make it easier to fix jamms (see photo) and it's marked with a K (for the producer Kongsberg) and the date and year it was made. My rifle was older than I was.

http://www.kvf.no/guns/mg/bilder/MG-Kongsberg-AG3-Reservedeler-3.jpg

The AG3 was the Norwegian service rifle from 1967 to 2007. I think the rifle was fairly popular, perhaps because it functions well in cold weather (especially compared to the American M16)

During the cold war pistols were very rare for everyone exept the officers and special forces, but now it's different. All professional soldiers seem to carry a Glock 17, especially when serving abroad.

Last edited by Number24 (16th Oct 2018 20:27)

Number24 wrote:

During the cold war pistols were very rare for everyone exept the officers and special forces, but now it's different. All professional soldiers seem to carry a Glock 17, especially when serving abroad.

Oh yes G17! My second favourite from the service pistols that I have been exposed to.
Pros:
Very clear sight picture
Low bore axis for fast follow-ups
Points quite naturally (but not perfect)
Cons:
Quite wide grip, so quick mag changes are a bit stretch for me
For me at least, it doesn't give that perfect index finger pointing
Mags are a sonuwabitch to load to a full cap with out loading tool esp wit a +2 floor plate.

I feel I like the P99 more over all:
It points better with the interchangeable grip parts, has better trigger and I like the paddle mag release.
Cons:
Factory sights are cräp IMHO
Higher bore axis -> more felt flip at the muzzle.

-Mr Arlington Beech

Number24; Be Aware, we are coming for you!!!
https://i.postimg.cc/Lqf4f6Cz/RV-1-3-c888f-98a97.jpg

-Mr Arlington Beech

Perkele! The Finns are coming too? Then the rest of us are without a chance  ajb007/biggrin

These days the NATO exercise Joint Venture is going on in Norway. It's one of the largest NATO has had since the cold war, involving all member states plus Sweden and Finland (Perkele!  ajb007/amazed )
Russia has been informed about the exercise a long time ago and their military observers are there after being invited by NATO. What is the Russian reaction? A lot of negative press in the Putin-controlled media, of course. In some stories the NATO forces are laughable, silly and weak. In others they are a threat to Russia and world peace  ajb007/insane

The other reactions are military. Without much prior notification Russia said they will conduct a missile exercise just off the coast here, right in the middle of the NATO excersise! To be fair they just sailed by without firing the missiles at least at first. Perhaps just a provocation? NATO has alerted everyone of a risk zone where they will test-fire their weapons and ask others to keep out. The Russian missile exercise is of course right in the middle of that zone. The Russian are also conducting another missile test of the coast off northern Norway.

Map key:
Red line = the Russian exercise

Blue line = according to the map this is the area of the exercise. This might be true about the air force component, but it's really Norway's borders. The land part of the exercise goes about as far North and South as the Russian exercise.

Green line = where NATO has planned to fire their naval weapons.

https://www.klassekampen.no/storyimage/KK/20181029/ARTICLE/181029964/EP/1/1/EP-181029964.jpg&MaxW=600

A Russian Tupolev TU-142 recconnaissance plane also flew straight over the US Mount Whitney, the command and control ship for the entire exercise.

Last edited by Number24 (3rd Nov 2018 14:04)

Number24 wrote:

Perkele! The Finns are coming too? Then the rest of us are without a chance  ajb007/biggrin

I'm reminded of a quote in WW2 - apparently attributed to  a Finnish commander who, being told the Russians were sending a million men to invade Finland his response was concern that there wouldn't be enough room to bury them all.

Scary people Finns.

ajb007/smile

Dryden wrote:
Number24 wrote:

I'm reminded of a quote in WW2 - apparently attributed to  a Finnish commander who, being told the Russians were sending a million men to invade Finland his response was concern that there wouldn't be enough room to bury them all.

Scary people Finns.

ajb007/smile

Now that's the spirit that won the war! Similarly, "There are bitter weeds in England."

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

The Finn fought very well, but they lost both the Winter War and the Continuation War.

Number24 wrote:

The Finn fought very well, but they lost both the Winter War and the Continuation War.

Certainly. I would guess that the numbers were not on their side.

Last edited by Silhouette Man (4th Nov 2018 20:48)

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Well, we were the only axis allied country that wasn't invaded. I'll call that a victory any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Here is a glimpse to Finnish attitude towards our Norwegian neighbors: https://taskandpurpose.com/finland-brew … -juncture/

Also, here is news how a company of Finnish Jägers out maneuvered the famed Telemark Battalion! Unfortunately only in Finnish, I tried to find an English edition of the news, because that would have been much more fun, but alas it was not to be....

https://www.is.fi/ulkomaat/art-2000005887533.html

Last edited by 0073 (5th Nov 2018 07:33)

-Mr Arlington Beech

Finland got a seperate treaty with the USSR in 1944 when it was obvious the Soviets were about to invade their country. The treaty wasn't what I would call a victory:(from Wikipedia)

Treaties signed in 1947 and 1948 with the Soviet Union included obligations and restraints on Finland, as well as territorial concessions. The Paris Peace Treaty (1947) limited the size and the nature of Finland's armed forces. Weapons were to be solely defensive. A deepening of postwar tensions led a year later to the Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation, and Mutual Assistance (1948) with the Soviet Union. The latter, in particular, was the foundation of Finno-Soviet relations in the postwar era. Under the terms of the treaty, Finland was bound to confer with the Soviets and perhaps to accept their aid if an attack from Germany, or countries allied with Germany, seems likely.

Last edited by Number24 (5th Nov 2018 12:21)

I'm trying to use Google translate on the article in link. So far I know "Finland's hockey team" did well against the Telemark Battalion .
Also, "spanking cartridges were used" 
I love Google Translate  ajb007/lol

To be serious, the conscripts from Finland did well against the professional mechanized infantry of Telemark Battalion.
I remember back during my national service how much fun it was when Norwegian conscripts did well against professional units such as the Royal Marines and Navy SEALS. I hope Finland will cooperate even closer with NATO in the future  ajb007/smile

Finland's foreign aid to Norway in the form of beer will certainly be welcome  ajb007/martini

Last edited by Number24 (5th Nov 2018 12:29)

Bob Stewart on BBC News today slagging off Capita for being in charge of the Army's recruitment and rejecting applicants on spurious health grounds - like having a corn.   ajb007/crap

Of course, reading between the lines it makes for savings in the Armed forces. Less employees to pay. Still, that's the reason for the lack of recruits.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Number24 wrote:

Finland got a seperate treaty with the USSR in 1944 when it was obvious the Soviets were about to invade their country. The treaty wasn't what I would call a victory:(from Wikipedia)...

Of course you would not, being the enemy at the time  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

But, being able to stave off full soviet invasion, puppet communist government, being annexed as per Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact dictated and in the same time inflicting total casualties of between 1,211 - 1,325 mil. during '39-'44 with an army of 700 000 full strength I have no misgivings about lifting a drink to the results!  ajb007/biggrin

Last edited by 0073 (5th Nov 2018 13:46)

-Mr Arlington Beech

Im talking about the Continuation War. Finland attacked the USSR in 1941. After the treaty With the USSR in 1944 you had less territory and less independence than when you started. That's not winning.

Number24 wrote:

Im talking about the Continuation War. Finland attacked the USSR in 1941. After the treaty With the USSR in 1944 you had less territory and less independence than when you started. That's not winning.

Yes you are, and you are free to do so. Also, I am not disputing the geopolitical or economic facts, that Finland lost 20% of territory which had roughly a 30% effect on the gross national product, those are well research and known facts.

What I am talking about is the subjective: we remained independent before, during and after the WW2, we inflicted enough casualties, that the numbers are still not quite clear while maintaining relative restraint and avoiding overt slaughter of the civilian population of the enemy. Yes we lost territory on the Moscow PT, yes we took the risk of trying to get it back (and then some), but dog gone it, it was worth it! Even though we lost the MPT+more in the Paris.
But, 20% is still less than 100% by any calculation and our puppet government stayed out side of our borders and died away by the end of March 1940.
So, to sum it up: Being the only continental European country that participated in the war and not being occupied and after the war staying independent, making it expensive enough to the enemy to make it to agree to negotiate peace after all was said and done, and doing this all against a vastly superior enemy by any metric.... I call it a Victory, because any alternative would definitely have been loosing, and this you can not take away from me or anybody else here in Finland.

Now can we lay this particular thing to rest, I've had this conversation with foreigners ad nauseam, and it always is the same: we will not agree. "How can you say that you won, you sued for peace and had to make long term concessions?" "Because if we had not fought, our way of life would have been annihilated, just look at Karelia. This way we had our cake, although we didn't quite get to eat it too" "That's not a victory!" "Oh yes it is, compared to the alternative, it definitely is."

Cheers!  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers

-Mr Arlington Beech

Perhaps Finland should have considered the Swedish alternative? There is no doubt Sweden made it out of WWII better than most European nations. The Winter War was a war of agression from the USSR and Finland defended themself incredibly well against the odds. Respect.
But in the Continuation War it was Finland that chose to attack the USSR together with nazi Germany. Finland didn't have to go to war this time, you could have stayed nuetral. I'm you didn't get to sure it was tempting to get back the territories lost in the Winter War, but in the end Finland didn't win them back. If Finland hadn't attacked the USSR in 1941 the Soviet would have left Finland alone, they had enough on their hands with the Germans. Among the losers in WWII Finland did get away relatively easy, but Finland still lost that war. WWe did better than the losers" doesn't make the country a winner.

Last edited by Number24 (6th Nov 2018 10:18)

I don't mean to be impolite or cause offence with the above post, I'm just very interested in history. I certainly don't want any interantional incident between Finland and Norway, mainly because Norway got rid of most of our military after the cold war and Finland didn't …..   ajb007/shifty