Re: Military Service

I just read a book about Lauri Törni (Born a soldier" by J. michael Clverly). Facinating story about the Finish war hero. Probably one of the best special forces soldiers iof both WWII and the Vietnam war.

Number24 wrote:

I just read a book about Lauri Törni (Born a soldier" by J. michael Clverly). Facinating story about the Finish war hero. Probably one of the best special forces soldiers iof both WWII and the Vietnam war.

Yup, he was something! It's a fascinating subject, the WW2 time LRRP soldiers in Finland. Especially the ones that were recruited before or in the early stages of war, before the attrition rate got too extreme. Most were cut from the same cloth as Törni, (although L.T. was in a class of his own): independent, resourceful, task oriented and not a very good fit to the "big army". Most had trouble adapting to the civilian life after the war; there were alcoholism, suicides, unemployment etc. The few "lucky" ones found employment with a myriad of NATO agencies, CIA MI6... even Norway recruited their own former LRRP men to go to Russia. The official history of counter intelligence in Finland tells the story of "red VALPO" trying to prevent the recruitment and unsanctioned operations to Russia in the late -40s and early -50s.

Here is something of interest: https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2020- … 2_l7P.html

Last edited by 0073 (24th Nov 2020 13:28)

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

I think Finland's LRRP units (perhaps especially Separate Battalion 4?) were among the best special forces units in WWII, competing alongside units like SAS, Alamo Scouts and Decima Flottiglia MAS. I'm convinced Finland fielded the best cold-weather special forces in WWII. I think a Finish patrol has the reccord for the longest lasting LRRP in WWII when one patrol spent over fifty days behind Soviet lines. I also read somewhere that the only known example of a silenced rifle used in combat in WWII was a Finish LRRP soldier killing a Soviet truck driver. After reading "Born a soldier" it seems like that soldier was Lauri Törni. according to the book he shot the driver first, making the truck crash. Then Törni's patrol killed everyone in the truck without firing a single shot!
You probably know much more than me about these units, so you are very welcome to write someting (or supply links to articles or videos) in the Espionage and special operations thread.  ajb007/smile

Last edited by Number24 (25th Nov 2020 14:37)

Number24 wrote:

...I think a Finish patrol has the reccord for the longest lasting LRRP in WWII when one patrol spent over fifty days behind Soviet lines. I also read somewhere that the only known example of a silenced rifle used in combat in WWII was a Finish LRRP soldier killing a Soviet truck driver....

The longest patrol in record was 56 days and 500km behind enemy lines, detachment Hartikainen, an air force patrol to gather intelligence on enemy air bases.

I have never heard of or encountered silenced rifles in Finnish WW2 inventory. I have to look into this a little closer.

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

0073 wrote:

The longest patrol in record was 56 days and 500km behind enemy lines, detachment Hartikainen, an air force patrol to gather intelligence on enemy air bases.

Perkele!

A friend of mine who served with me in the army but is now also in the UK told me about this story which was in the newspapers in my country. This happened some time ago but is still funny.

A man from the commando regiment, our regiment, was home on leave when armed men tried to break in to his parents house to rob them. The soldier chased the robbers away but one of them began to shoot at him. According to the soldier he managed to cheat death because his training meant he could dodge the bullets as they were fired at him!

I must have been on leave when that course came up!

My friend said he too missed that course!

I wonder what his friends said when he got back to depo!

What, did you skip the bullet time/Matrix course? I thought that was mandatory in the commandos!  ajb007/lol

I think the course must have only been only for the best soldiers and also secret. I never heard of it and neither did my friend!

I've looked at the article. It said that the robber was wearing a balaclava and had a cloth covering his mouth?!

I am not sure why the robber would need to cover his face with a cloth when he was wearing a balaclava?!

Perhaps he had the balaclava on upside down?!

Or even back to front?

Last edited by Joshua (1st Jan 2021 17:41)