1

Topic: "Current News" thread?

As everyone knows, the political threads are frequently closed down when they descend into personal attacks. We have no wish for this to start again, but it has been suggested that a "Current News" thread would be appropriate.

Please discuss this below, and if there's a consensus that this would be a good idea then we'll open one. If that does happen, then the mods reserve the right to close it if there's any sign of name-calling, personal attacks, etc.

2

Re: "Current News" thread?

If the current news thread can be kept to discuss that and not the politicals ideals of members i think this would be a good idea. we could talk about the news without to score the points yes? I think there is much more news than the political news and perhaps we could talk about this only, funny or good or bad news?

3

Re: "Current News" thread?

To be honest, I come to the forum in part to forget what is going on.
I avoided the Trump v Hillary thread like the plague.
If it could focus on Good or Funny news, great. Otherwise, I'm in the 'No Thanks' box.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

4

Re: "Current News" thread?

I disagree with the previous posters.

I find such a political thread absolutely necessary and would also let the standards slip there deliberately.

Trump systematically tries to undermine traditional media - he even rants about the NYT.
As you can see in various countries that's step one on the way into breaking down democracy - (Russia, Turkey, Hungary, Poland and so on). It happened elsewhere.

Because of that alternative media are necessary and must step in - also an innocent James Bond Forum in those times where the exchange of political disagreements can happen so that people can form their own opinion.

If we just rely on Facebook to play that role, I can't see a Happy Ending for that.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

5

Re: "Current News" thread?

Higgins wrote:

I disagree with the previous posters.


https://s28.postimg.cc/czmhbkwjd/AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

6

Re: "Current News" thread?

Already the poltical news and comments? ajb007/rolleyes current new and political thread do not have to be the same things. there is the political threads already. this one could be just for funny or good news but no political news, that is talked about on the other threads. it it were not to be fun it would be of no good to the ajb site as there is enough of the political already.

7

Re: "Current News" thread?

the name of the post perhaps not correct? if it was to be about good news and funny news which all from ajb could share then it would have a different name yes? if not so then before the first page end it would be just about Trump and Putin and Brexet etc and all the fighting and point scores.

8

Re: "Current News" thread?

Joshua wrote:

there is the political threads already.


Really?
Where?

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

9

Re: "Current News" thread?

I read these already about Trump and Brexet in the ajb many times evenbefore I join here on many posts. Why to make everything political? Cannot we have some fun news only or are we just to argue all the time. We are perhaps even start to do this now as we talk about opening a tread before even the tread is open! I will not argue I said my point and if to argue you must do this with yourself. I will not say anything more than already I have said as this is my opinion.

10

Re: "Current News" thread?

Along with the shortage of vegtables in the shops, ( one big benifit of brexit, I say  ajb007/wink ) I've
noticed fewer  currants in my scones !  Making afternoon tea less enjoyable.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

11

Re: "Current News" thread?

Joshua wrote:

I read these already about Trump and Brexet in the ajb many times evenbefore I join here on many posts. Why to make everything political? Cannot we have some fun news only or are we just to argue all the time. We are perhaps even start to do this now as we talk about opening a tread before even the tread is open! I will not argue I said my point and if to argue you must do this with yourself. I will not say anything more than already I have said as this is my opinion.


There is one Brexit Thread and one Trump thread - which has been locked. That's it!
Nobody makes "everything political"  and this kind of generalisations don't help us.

I've previously said why I find it necessary to have a political thread to be open and I can only ask you to follow your own advise: If you don't like it, don't click.

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

12

Re: "Current News" thread?

Thunderpussy wrote:

Along with the shortage of vegtables in the shops, ( one big benifit of brexit, I say  ajb007/wink ) I've
noticed fewer  currants in my scones !  Making afternoon tea less enjoyable.


Nothing to do with Brexit but bad weather in Spain and bad contracting on the side of Tesco.
The UK are still a member of the EU  ajb007/wink

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

13

Re: "Current News" thread?

But higgins my friend, why have the treads been locked? I now the answer already. but in your firt post you began to talk about trump! if that is not being political? anyway i say no more. as you wih i will not look no more also if you wish to talk you can send the message.

I now think this new thread is a bad idea and it should not be started for all above reason.

14

Re: "Current News" thread?

Joshua,

I've only mentioned Trump to give a perspective and to strengthen my later point.
It was not my intention to start a political debate.

And you've had a part why the Trump thread has been locked  ajb007/wink

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

15

Re: "Current News" thread?

Like others  ajb007/wink  I'm breaking out the popcorn, to enjoy
This thread ...... Until its inevitable Closure  ajb007/lol

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

16

Re: "Current News" thread?

Guys, this thread is supposed to only discuss the possibility of opening a News thread, which begins to look pretty unlikely.
If we do decide here that there's a need for one then allow Sir Miles or I to start it - please, nobody go starting one till that point.

17

Re: "Current News" thread?

Barbel wrote:

Guys, this thread is supposed to only discuss the possibility of opening a News thread, which begins to look pretty unlikely.
If we do decide here that there's a need for one then allow Sir Miles or I to start it - please, nobody go starting one till that point.

keep politics and religion off AJB ,surely we must have enough to talk about ,it will only end in tears . ajb007/crap

By the way, did I tell you,  I was       "Mad"?

18

Re: "Current News" thread?

I support such a thread. Earlier I mentioned how many of us live in an 'echo chamber' when it comes to news. We read news sources that usually confirm our existing views and siscuss with people who agree with us. I welcome a chance to talk about and discuss news here where there are members from several continents and with different views from mine. I think we can all benefit from such a tread. That said I don't think it should be a 'quarrel about Trump'-thread (while he and US politics can't be  avoided) and it shouldn't be a thread just for good and funny news, serious news should also have a place. Hopefully it should be a thread to discuss all sorts of news in the media from many parts of the world. If you don't want to read about current news on AJB, this thread will be the perfect answer. Lately politics has turned up in all sorts of threads, including Random Chat and the Izabella Thread, but with a Current News thread other threads should be safe. So if you want to avoid discussions about politics - simply don't click on the Current News thread  ajb007/smile

I do disagree with the idea that the thread should be closed if some members con't be civil to each other. That way you punish most of the members who just want to exchange views and read news. The hotheads will most likely just wait till the thread re-opens and continue the debate as before. The Mods should instead bann the offending (offensive?) member(s) from the entire AJB forum for a period of time, it  would be more fair and effective. Note that banns should normally happen after a clear warning. If a member posts something completely beyond the pale he can be banned imediately. If that sort of behavior continues, new and longer AJB banns should follow. If you need time to calm down and reflect, members will return humbled and wiser. If the member in question is just after quarrels and name-calling, they will sooner or later leave AJB completely, by choice or by force.

Last edited by Number24 (6th Feb 2017 13:52)

19

Re: "Current News" thread?

Good points as usual from our Norwegian agent ,but the term horse/ bolted springs to mind ,rather than leaving the decision too Barbel and Sir Miles ect to ban people ,( im sure they would rather not ban a member ) just don't go down that road to start , with  ajb007/smile

By the way, did I tell you,  I was       "Mad"?

20

Re: "Current News" thread?

I think the near past has shown us that politics and current events spill into this forum no matter what, because we have informed and opinionated members here. The Current News thread will simply channel the discussion into one thread and keep the rest of the forum politics free.

Last edited by Number24 (6th Feb 2017 14:04)

21

Re: "Current News" thread?

Perhaps we could hang a sign up stating that this thread is a free for all !  No Rules ?
"Catch as catch can " ... " Down'n'Drty"  ..... Almost the red light area of AJB ?  ajb007/lol
The literary cage fighting section.  ajb007/wink

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

22

Re: "Current News" thread?

always shaken wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Guys, this thread is supposed to only discuss the possibility of opening a News thread, which begins to look pretty unlikely.
If we do decide here that there's a need for one then allow Sir Miles or I to start it - please, nobody go starting one till that point.

keep politics and religion off AJB ,surely we must have enough to talk about ,it will only end in tears . ajb007/crap

I agree with AS. Politics and religion have no place on these boards (of which I have participated). No purpose is served by those with agendas to fulfil. It would be good to discuss other topics but surely an option is already there to open a thread on "Other Topics"?

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

23

Re: "Current News" thread?

"The only rule in Current News is - you don't talk about Current News!" ajb007/lol

No, I don't want to take part in such a thread. I want a thread that can be passionate, but factual.

24

Re: "Current News" thread?

I love reading the opinion of others , if only to prove once again to myself ... Just
How clever and smart I really am  ajb007/tongue

On current news .... Congratulations to her Majesty on her Sapphire Jubilee  ajb007/martini   Queen and Bond girl ! ajb007/biggrin

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

25

Re: "Current News" thread?

I think even the talk of banning peoples from the ajb here means that this idea to have a new thread is not good. If the rules were like this then everyone who was in the thread must be expect to be treated equal and the moderators would have to do this or this would be unfair. then no one would be able to speak because them being banned so why have the talk in the first place? I am sure the ajb is not only the place where peoples can see news or talk about the politics on the internet so those peoples who want to can do this on other places. I find these places for those peoples who think they have the opinions they need to say to other peoples about politics

http://www.debatepolitics.com

http://www.politicalforum.com