Topic: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

Afternoon everyone! I joined this forum to get in touch with fellow Bond fans, but also to ask a simple question:

Goldfinger is mostly in everyones personal top 3. Can anyone explain this? I get it is the first time the DB5 appears and all, but i think the storyline is just so weak... Maybe its just me ajb007/lol Hope some fans can inspire me to like this movie!

*If* you play the odds...

-For Your Eyes Only-

Re: The brilliance of Goldfinger...Explain please?

For me it has many iconic elements and some great dialogue, the score is fantastic and it set a tone that later bond films would follow. The film borrows from the book,  but isn't a faithful production, I find the book has regular lulls and I'm not as invested in its story once bond becomes goldfingers aide.
But just think, the Miami scenes, Oddjob, pussygalore, the db5 scenes,  bond and Oddjob's showdown.... Iconic bond moments set to an incredible score  ajb007/martini

BTW goldfinger is not one of my most loved or watched, and personally I can't rank the films..... I love them all.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

I think it's because Goldfinger was the first time they found the Bond formula. Many (most?) Bond movies have followed the same formula since, some better and others not. Goldfinger was perhaps when Bondmania struck and James Bond became a phenomena and not just a series of spy flicks.

^ that too  ajb007/smile

I am part of the group that doesn't rate the film that highly. I agree it's a classic and it is brilliant - I've just tired of watching it (again and again, a typical Bond fan problem!) mostly because the production style, Bond not doing anything and the boredom setting-in after arriving in Kentucky. I also don't like little things like the overuse of sets and green screens when not needed (Miami hotel for example).

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

I think objectively speaking (if that's possible) it's a mediocre Bond film.  FRWL is in my opinion a better movie. It's the context that makes it special - the first huge Bond movie and the first to use the formula.

Thanks for the stories so far. What annoys me the most in the entire movie, and maybe im being controversial as hell, but that is the gold painting scene. Absolutely stupid ajb007/lol it never returns in the entire movie, he never kills someone in the same fashion again, its never mentioned...just absolutely stupid ajb007/lol but the whole movie would never make it in my top 10, think not even in the top 20 ajb007/wink but really love all the stories from fellow bond fans

*If* you play the odds...

-For Your Eyes Only-

Elvedetto wrote:

Afternoon everyone! I joined this forum to get in touch with fellow Bond fans, but also to ask a simple question:

Goldfinger is mostly in everyones personal top 3. Can anyone explain this? I get it is the first time the DB5 appears and all, but i think the storyline is just so weak... Maybe its just me ajb007/lol Hope some fans can inspire me to like this movie!

Hi Meran! Welcome aboard! Good to see you around over here as well ! ajb007/wink 

I think the power of Goldfinger lies in the complete picture it forms. Connery at his peak, a brilliant villian and henchmen, great production design with Fort Knox, the classic sound track, the DB5, Pussy Galore, the iconic pre title sequence, the golden chick on the bed. But above all, that Goldfinger did most elements we now consider 'a typical Bond film' for the first time. It established the formula. And while the plot is far from deep, the film is great fun from start to finish and I feel it deserves a lot of the praise it gets ajb007/smile   ajb007/bond

Better known as DutchBondFan on YouTube. My 007 movie reviews:  Recapping 007   
YouTube channel  Support my channel on Patreon  Twitter   Facebook fanpage

heartbroken_mr_drax wrote:

I also don't like little things like the overuse of sets and green screens when not needed (Miami hotel for example).

Those are awful! Something I never noticed until blu-ray.

Nevertheless, Goldfinger will always be the quintessential Bond film. Even if it doesn't hold up in some aspects it still contains all the definitive elements of what makes 007 popular.

The mini-movie pre-title sequence
A classic theme song
Connery in his prime
The Aston Martin with gadgets
Imposing henchman Oddjob
Memorable girl Pussy Galore
Iconic scene of the girl painted gold

What does FRWL have that would be memorable or iconic? Not much compared to Goldfinger. Even if FRWL is considered a better Bond film, it still would not be the definitive one.

"Please don't try to follow me"

1. GE 2. MR 3. TSWLM 4. GF 5. DN 6. TND 7. TMWTGG 8. OP 9. TWINE 10. AVTAK

The comments in here as to why GF is considered iconic are bang on. It's all about setting the formula-standard (not the standard) and GF certainly did that.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

This is Goldfinger, Mr Elvedetto. All my life I have been in love with its characters, its brilliance, its divine score. I appreciate any enterprise which will increase its stock- which is considerable.

Yes, there are weaknesses which become apparent on multiple viewings (as with most movies) and these are mainly with the plot as well as technology moving on, but it's all carried off with panache. It's a good example of style over substance- "it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it".

And I agree with what Jeroen says above!  ajb007/cheers

If you have to ask .......

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

One thing which hasn't been mentioned is that it also set the blueprint for the humour in the films. Dr No and FRWL are pretty humourless by comparison, but Bond's scenes with Q, his use of one-liners and just the general sense of the cast having a ball, set the pattern for future films. And Connery is just so polished and confident and oozes sex-appeal.  ajb007/martini

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

For me it's Connery. He has so much presence, I don't think it's been topped since. I like Odd Job and Goldfinger, the Aston, the women, - I agree the plot drifts off and I'm not a great fan of Pussy and her flying circus. But it's definitely in my top five.

Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com

Context counts for a lot. It's a great family film. In that sense, it's like The Sound of Music, The Great Escape, anything you can sit down and enjoy, great scenery, great music and good jokes.

You lose that as solitary viewing, that sense of shared laughter. You want something more intense, usually.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

The thing about Goldfinger is usually any iconic scene that's talked about from the Golden girl to the laser table happens around the first hour or so, its the last hour in Kentucky that I think tanks the film in my opinion.

Same with the book walther p99,  first half is good, then it lulls for me.

It's not really one of my favs. I like it a lot, but I've always thought it was a bit overrated. Compared to From Russia With Love, its story isn't nearly as strong, and compared to the rest of Connery's tenure in the role, it's a bit underwhelming in the second half. It gets a lot of credit for establishing the Bond formula (as it good) but I think the formula is improved on immediately in Thunderball, and in many films afterword. To me the most important thing about Goldfinger is that every Bond film after it can be judged by how well it either executes or subverts (or both) its established formula.

Wish I Was at Disneyland, podcast about Disneyland, Disney news, Disney movies, Star Wars, and life in Southern California.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/wis … 80413?mt=2

Slightly off-topic, but this is one instance where the film improves on the book IMHO. Richard Maibaum was very conscious of the book's strengths (Goldfinger himself as a character, for instance, and the symbolic duel (Maibaum's word) between him and Bond) and weaknesses (stealing all the gold from Fort Knox isn't technically possible; Goldfinger's reason for not simply killing Bond at Enterprises Auric is stronger in the film; etc) as he wrote his screenplay.

You have to understand the Goldfinger phenomenon if you see when it was made: The movie oozes class, if you look at the locations, the clothes, the DB5. This was a world unknown to so many people. Plus it is such a fun movie. Connery was at his absolute finest here: so in control, comfortable.

Plus like others mentioned, it set the tone for the movies to follow: the PTS, The boombastic theme song, the Bond girls, the Q scenes, again the DB5, the gadgets, the megalomaniac villain, the soundtrack from Barry.

I still love Goldfinger, it is an all time classic with iconic moments.

OHMSS, FRWL, DN, GF, CR, GE, SP, YOLT, TB, TSWLM, LALD, TLD, TND, FYEO, SF, MR, TMWTGG, TWINE, OP, AVTAK, DAF, LTK, QOS, DAD

1. Connery 2. Craig 3. Brosnan 4. Dalton 5. Lazenby 6. Moore

Number24 wrote:

I think objectively speaking (if that's possible) it's a mediocre Bond film.  FRWL is in my opinion a better movie. It's the context that makes it special - the first huge Bond movie and the first to use the formula.

I agree. I'd take FRWL over GF. I love the look and the gloss of GF but the saggy middle is a negative.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

I saw Goldfinger at the cinema late last year on a giant screen in Melbourne. Having seen it countless times before, I didn't expect to take anything new from it, but I did. And what I took is just how well made it is.  If one can be objective about these things, I would say that it is technically in the best 2 or 3 films made in the series. Now I'm not necessarily saying that it's in my top 2 or 3 (though it is in my top 5  ajb007/tongue ) but Goldfinger is just so well made. Everything right from the direction, the editing, the score, the production design, and the script is just first class. The character of Bond has never had more of a presence than in Goldfinger, and the title villain is brilliant. Quite possibly the best one in the series. The Fort Knox caper is also ingenius and is one of the best villain schemes. Obviously the film was a smash and became a cultural phenomenon and there are many iconic moments, and these factors definitely play into why Goldfinger is so revered. And there are different reasons as to why Goldfinger did tap into the culture the way that it did, but when you strip everything away, I think you find that the essential reason why the film is a classic is because it is just a great movie. One that came along at the right time, but still a great movie  ajb007/martini

Elvedetto wrote:

Thanks for the stories so far. What annoys me the most in the entire movie, and maybe im being controversial as hell, but that is the gold painting scene. Absolutely stupid ajb007/lol it never returns in the entire movie, he never kills someone in the same fashion again, its never mentioned...just absolutely stupid ajb007/lol but the whole movie would never make it in my top 10, think not even in the top 20 ajb007/wink but really love all the stories from fellow bond fans

By the way, welcome Elvedetto  ajb007/smile Out of curiousity, what are your top 3 Bond films?

It's like a dream. Most of it doesn't make any sense but you carried along with all the crazy scenes. A car with machine guns and an ejector seat! Laser beams! A girl covered in gold (you cannot actually kill somebody that way)! An Asian guy who kills people with his bowler hat! Irradiating Fort Knox. It's like Hitchcock's North by Northwest, another dream-like film with crazy scenes and its own internal logic.

Directors try to duplicate GF (most recently Spectre) but cannot. It's one of those happy accidents where everything came together to produce a great film.

Goldfinger has flaws, no question. which Bond film hasn't? But its flaws are overwhelmed by the sheer joy of its filmmaking. it has always oozed class and sophistication and set the standard of how a Bond film connects with an audience.

The great Italian director Fellini was a big fan at the time, and its very telling that one of the world's greatest filmmakers responded to the movie like a kid with a shiny toy at Christmas. Which, I think, is the enduring charm of the film: it has always felt like it was made with a sense of sheer fun.

Best film in series? No. But forever enjoyable.

"No. Masterson. Jill Masterson. And she's covered in paint. Gold paint."