Re: I'd love to have a female Bond counter part in the next movie.

I like it!

caractacus potts wrote:
caractacus potts wrote:

or whoever that watch company is

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

Hey hey, let's not say things we can't take back here... ajb007/lol

sorry, sorry all, its just I never even noticed what watch Bond wore until I realised there's AJB007 threads on this topic of epic proportions

which reminds me, I have often thought, if there is a political/philosophical agenda to the Bond films, it is this: he is not saving the world for Democracy, or for Britain, or even "Freedom", but for Consumerism
think how often we see Bond and M scoff at the naivete of elected cabinet ministers, our heroes don't care about the will of the people
but all those meals at restaurants, clothes, fancy cars, expensive hotels, the ostentatious display of which takes up such a proportion of the movie, that is a cause worth fighting world-conquering megalomaniacs for
not even Capitalism, because wealthy industrialists are more often than not the villains, but the right to Consume fine luxury goods ... that is Bond's great cause

I can't deny consumerism is a part of the Bond universe from the start. This can in part be explained by the fact that the books started at a time when rationing was still in effect. But is that all Bond is about?
I think the producers really want to carry on the legacy of Fleming and are proud of this tradition. I think most Bond fans agree that this hasn't been successful all the times but disagree on when and how.
Most of all they want to entertain, and they have entertained millions. You're too central - Don't think EON sits around all the time and plot how to get people to spend more on consumer goods.

Number24 wrote:

This can in part be explained by the fact that the books started at a time when rationing was still in effect.

good observation, I never thought of this before and I just finished reading Fleming's biography too

I joke, slightly, so as to change the topic away from the alleged feminist conspiracy.
Ostentatious consumerism may not be the secret agenda of the Bond-films, but it is part of the fantasy, along with world travel and casual sex with beautiful women ... which almost brings us back to the proper topic.

Actually, back to the "conspiracy": Barbara Brocolli is a woman, obviously, and became involved I think at the same point Judi Dench called Pierce Brosnan "a sexist, misogynist dinosaur relic of the Cold War", or however that quote went. Has anybody ever asked Barbara if she is trying to do the movies with a feminist slant?

Last edited by caractacus potts (1st Sep 2017 00:06)

I think Pierce was maybe the "most" feminist Bond. Just my opinion.

24, due to you I have had the theme from Dr. No stuck in my head.

Last edited by VesperMelograno (1st Sep 2017 01:12)

I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey

I think the approach to female characters that we've seen in the Craig era (mostly) gets it right. Less on the nose than in the Brosnan films, and ultimately more satisfying. And yes, I think Barbara Broccoli's influence has a lot to do with this. I don't see anything wrong with that. I like the philosophy of letting Bond be Bond and then watching how others react to him.

That's my view too. Bond should essentially stay the same, but the world around him has to change. A part of this is the changing role of women.

[Edited by Barbel. Deliberately provocative post, not to mention one supposedly about intelligence while containing poor spelling and grammar.]

eg

Daniel Bond wrote:

That's not my opinion, that's a fact weather you like it or not.

[Barbel] I left this bit: the word is "whether".  Daniel Bond, please post on topic or not at all.

Mods, can you please extinguish this dumpster fire? It has absolutely nothing to do with Bond or the upcoming movie.

Both sexes  have things they're better at. Nothing inferior
Simply different abilities  and skills.  ajb007/martini

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

This escalated quickly.

Instagram: mybudgetbond
Twitter: @mybudgetbond1

https://pics.me.me/well-that-escalated-quickly-all-i-could-think-of-when-4752516.png

canoe2 wrote:

Mods, can you please extinguish this dumpster fire?

With pleasure, canoe2. With pleasure.

Fleming's "consumerism" is related to his attempts to create a realistic world in which fantastic things sometimes happened. It was vital that Bond stay grounded in reality, so we get the kind of cigarettes he smokes, the kind of food he likes, the car he drives, the watch he wears, the kind of cotton his shirts are made out of, etc. This detailed description is one of the things Fleming did really well, although sometimes he went a little overboard (I just finished reading DAF and he gives us one of the bad guy's shoe size).

Barbel wrote:
canoe2 wrote:

With pleasure, canoe2. With pleasure.

Thank you for taking care of that.

canoe2 wrote:

It's a little...scented for our palette.

Back to the topic in hand, I think that it had been worn to death in many previous movies.
So long as it's done in a tasteful manner, I can't be against it.
There were some truly remarkable Bond girls that emerged throughout the years.
Holly and Pam were very good.
Camille is the undisputed winner in my book as her personal interests merely clash with Bond's.
It is a shame that she wasn't expanded and fleshed out to her fullest potential.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

Well hopefully the rumour is true and she will be back for Bond 25!

Instagram: mybudgetbond
Twitter: @mybudgetbond1

Barbel wrote:

Deliberately provocative post...

I just stated facts.
Facts can't be provocative by nature. They can only be true or false.
If your world view is being challenged by those facts and you can't disprove them then you have to change it. At least that's what intelligent people do.

Trying to undermine my credibility by pointing out spelling errors doesn't change anything because I didn't come up with those facts. I just stated them.
By the way English is not my first language.

conoe2 wrote:

...can you please extinguish this dumpster fire?

If you think the discussion has gone off topic why can't you simply ask me to get back on topic instead of calling me names? At least that's what civilised people do.
By the way, several people requested that I support my claim with evidence and that's all I did.

Last edited by Daniel Bond (1st Sep 2017 19:21)

(oops wrong thread)

Last edited by caractacus potts (1st Sep 2017 19:21)

Daniel Bond wrote:

If you think the discussion has gone off topic why can't you simply ask me to get back on topic...

Please get back on topic...and let's stay there  ajb007/martini

YNWA: Justice For The 96

The Joy Of 6

I'm really proud of myself for not (re-) involving myself in this.  ajb007/smile
Are the Mods a little proud of me too?  ajb007/cool

Of course we are!

caractacus potts wrote:

you don't remember the movie correctly. CraigBond at the start of his career is not yet the smooth cultured sophisticato who could talk knowledgeably about wine vintages and identify a womans perfume, as ConneryBond could in Dr No. He is a bit of a brute, capable of the violence needed for the "blunt instrument" aspect of his job but not yet capable of the civilized demeanor needed for the spy aspect of his job. When he puts on that dinner jacket is a major turning point, showing us (and himself) that the out-of-control thug we've followed for the first half of the movie has taken his first step to becoming the Bond character we all know. Hence the music when he looks in the mirror.

Very good point.

Daniel Bond wrote:

Trying to undermine my credibility

No, just pointing out irony.

Daniel Bond wrote:
conoe2 wrote:

...can you please extinguish this dumpster fire?

If you think the discussion has gone off topic why can't you simply ask me to get back on topic instead of calling me names? At least that's what civilised people do.

I'll clarify one thing:  I didn't call you a dumpster fire; I called your comment a dumpster fire. That is why I used the pronoun "it".

Apologies for the off-topic post, everyone.

Yes, let's get back to the topic.

Camille returning works for me.

Gala Brand wrote:

Fleming's "consumerism" is related to his attempts to create a realistic world in which fantastic things sometimes happened. It was vital that Bond stay grounded in reality, so we get the kind of cigarettes he smokes, the kind of food he likes, the car he drives, the watch he wears, the kind of cotton his shirts are made out of, etc. This detailed description is one of the things Fleming did really well, although sometimes he went a little overboard (I just finished reading DAF and he gives us one of the bad guy's shoe size).

Fleming's Bond realised, somewhat depressingly, that he'd most likely be dead by 40. So he wanted to live life to the fullest, Which some may mistake as consumerism. However he noted and despised ostentation, for instance noting gold moneyclips (apologies I can't remember which novel this appears in). His clothes are sparsely described, with few brands except Rolex, Gillette, Saxone and a handful of others; although he had a series of Bentleys, there were one of his few passions. It's the films which have increasingly associated Bond himself with luxury brands and rampant consumerism as we know it today.

Ahem back on topic, I'm all in favour of a strong female counterpart, though not necessarily an agent; Vesper, Camille and Madeleine Swann are all accomplished, interesting counterparts.

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."