Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Blimey, that's one hell of an opus. Like Shakespeare but funnier.

On reflection, the lockdown analogy for YOLT is not too off, as Connery was hemmed in by Bond fans in Japan and could hardly really go out much for a run or anything, and it's a very sedentary film for him. So no wonder he put on weight, but as someone observes on another thread, it is a bit odd that for his last two EON bonds he is quite out of shape, more so surely than for any other films he did around the same time, like Shalako or The Anderson Tapes.

YOLT may have a refreshingly respectful attitude to the Far East and its ways, but in contrast it has a somewhat patronising tone towards women that would not be out of place for a UK Health Secretary. Then again, maybe that is to appeal to the sexist attitudes in Japan, much as today fans might pander to China sensibilities. It is one thing that drags the film and it is also hard to see that Connery is in his 30s.

One flaw: with Little Nellie, the chase is predictable, perhaps more so by the fact that John Barry's score was bumped out in favour of the standard James Bond theme as requested by editor Peter Hunt. Another thing: the autogyro is introduced, we see it take off, see it fly, see the action scene and it is over. It's better when a cool thing is introduced that we get to savour the expectation a bit, as with the Aston Martin or Lotus Esprit. You need a couple of scenes without it, or with it doing the usual stuff while we enjoyably anticipate the bit when the gadgets get unleashed, there's none of that here.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

DN, FRWL, GF, TB.

During lockdown, we decided it would be the perfect opportunity for our son, aged 9, to see all the Bond movies. He has seen a few before and particularly likes TMWTGG.

His views:
DN - ok but not enough action - enjoyed it a lot more from arriving at Crab Key.
FRWL - First half is slow but he loved it from the train sequence onwards.
GF - Loved the car and thought Oddjob was menacing. Best so far.
TB - Seen before - and this now tops the list, full of action. Laughs so much at “I think he got the point”  ajb007/lol

Mrs CHB likes DN best.

I am fortunate to have seen all the movies upon release in the cinema, but my recollection of DN is sparse, only the spider scene really sticks in my memory from that first viewing. I remember it more from the double bill with FRWL in I think 1965.

Looking forward to YOLT next which my son has seen before and likes very much.

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

finishing up MWTGG this evening during workout time.  There is some pretty cheesy stuff in it but I do like MA as a Bond Girl quite a lot.

Just finished OHMSS ... one of my favorite ...  ajb007/martini

~God Judges Us by Our Scars~

DAF on ITV4 last night - or much of it. Great fun. Hard to make sense of really and it doesn't matter - it's the jokes, the elan.

They cut the pts bit where he whips of her bra and tries to throttle her. Just as well, really. DAF is a bit like that - jovial and good humoured but with the darkness you might expect after the Vietnam-influenced late 60s where it's clear dreams were going to dust. Other nasty moments include the dead Shady and the lift fight.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Watching in order. Always try and do a full rewatch before a new one comes out.  No better time to start.

I'm watching YOLT at this moment.

YOLT. I love this one but a cinema viewing is required to get the pure spectacle of the whole thing. Sean is looking a bit more worn than in TB but I don’t get the oft mentioned “lazy performance “, l think he’s fine. Lots to recommend including Aki my favourite Bond girl.

Son of CHB loves this one too, his third viewing.

LALD and got TSWLM cued up next

CR-67 on ITV4 last night...I do enjoy this movie...it’s silly and ridiculous but I think that’s why I like it  ajb007/lol

YNWA 96

The Unbearables

TND on Itv4, been a while since I watched this (3+ years) an enjoyable Bond romp and much like, but I was struck how much the stealth ships interior resembled the death star, and how there are a few non sensical elements, like Wai Lins chain being held tight despite the entire Stealth boat being blown to bits, Stampers super human strength picking up Bond with one hand  etc. I'm sure it's just me, but TB and FRWL that I watched earlier this week were more enjoyable and have aged better.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

We're group watching LTK on Monday, at 19.10 GMT. The more the merrier, so please join in!

Not content to have its own lockdown rules, Scotland now has its own time zone.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Not so, NP. GMT does not equal BST.

Barbel wrote:

We're group watching LTK on Monday, at 19.10 GMT. The more the merrier, so please join in!

Posting 7.18. When do you sleep Double-O Barbel?

Roger Moore 1927-2017

All too rarely, I'm afraid. And 07.18 is not that early, I'm often posting at 03.00 or so.

DAF it was on ITV4 this afternoon and I happened to turn the tv on at just the right time. I hadn't really thought about it before but Bond couldn't seem to stop Thumper and Bambi from throwing him across the room but had no problem holding them both under the water at same time!

The Spy Who Never Dies wrote:

DAF it was on ITV4 this afternoon and I happened to turn the tv on at just the right time. I hadn't really thought about it before but Bond couldn't seem to stop Thumper and Bambi from throwing him across the room but had no problem holding them both under the water at same time!

I watched it too, despite its detractors and the nonsensical elements I always enjoy DAF.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Chriscoop wrote:

I watched it too, despite its detractors and the nonsensical elements I always enjoy DAF.

I saw it too and also really enjoyed it. I was just in the mood for it though.

Lady Rose wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

I saw it too and also really enjoyed it. I was just in the mood for it though.

I was feeling fed up with the whole lockdown thing so it was a perfect tonic. I enjoyed Q using his gadget on the slot machines! Surprised he didn't get kicked out! Many years ago, while in an arcade, I kept tilting the machine I was playing on to help me win and got asked to leave!  ajb007/lol I had won £8 (a lot then) a crappy watch and some other trinket.

OHMSS: Still the best Bond of all. Everything seemed to fall into place at the right time. Peter Hunt knew his Bond and the little details like the cannon in front of M’s residence, lifted straight from the pages of the books, litter the film throughout.

Lazenby is superlative and his decision to leave the franchise was so disappointing. I wish we could see an alternate universe where Lazenby carried on until AVTAK.

Both Mrs CHB and Son of CHB rank this as their favourite as welll.