Re: Last Bond movie you watched.

Barbel wrote:

It's heartwarming, a glowing tribute,  to see so much love for DAF, a film I've had to almost single-handedly defend here many times!

I'll always defend Diamonds are Forever. The wittiest Bond film ever and I've had some great times in Amsterdam visiting the locations.

Watched most of Octopussy yesterday. Someone else has probably said this already, but the pre-credits scene with the Acrojet is so good it's really wasted in a pre-credits scene - how much more impact would it have had if the writers had found a way to incorporate it into the main body of the film. An extended version of the night-time chase with 009 carrying the faberge egg and crashing into the ambassador's residence might have made a good pre-credits sequence, if a Bondless pre-credits scene was acceptable.

Also, once the silliness of the Indian scenes is out of the way, the East German scenes are really impressive - they really went all out with the stunts on Octopussy and manage to create a surprising amount of tension even among such absurdities as Bond in a gorilla suit and a clown outfit.

I too watched OP yesterday  ajb007/martini

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Saw OP yesterday (after LTK, the ultimate in summer Bond films).
Then again I'm on a Moore bender, counting all of his eyebrow raises ajb007/wink...

The East German scenes were very interesting seeing such a symbol of that time in a Bond film. One of my favourite sequences in any Bond must be Bond trying to find and disarm the bomb. Yes, it had already happened in Spy in a way but the tension is real.
Barry's soundtrack doesn't really stand out but there are some very good pieces there (love the use of All Time High).

I would've been very happy had it been Roger's last Bond film.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

I watched OP too  ajb007/martini  can't think of a better to spend a Sunday.
There is so much to love about this film, I didn't even mind the tarzan call.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

This Sunday was Pussy Galore, apparently ajb007/biggrin.
(I couldn't help myself)

I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).

To get better entertainment would take some licking ... ajb007/embarrassed

You always were a cunning linguist.

Caught FRWL on T.V. Didn't know it was on and I have it on all formats bar Laser Disc. It was still an unexpected thrill to stumble across it. Still dukes it out with OHMSS for my top spot. On balance FRWL probably comes out on top. It really is superb, possibly perfect.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

I also watched OP yesterday and when you consider it released the same year as Never Say Never Again, you can see why it grossed the most. Bond is about the whole package not just the actor playing him. Have to say though I do feel Sir Roger should have probably stopped there as he was starting to show his age a little.

Cheers  ajb007/bond

My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!

Bond44 wrote:

I also watched OP yesterday and when you consider it released the same year as Never Say Never Again, you can see why it grossed the most. Bond is about the whole package not just the actor playing him. Have to say though I do feel Sir Roger should have probably stopped there as he was starting to show his age a little.

Cheers  ajb007/bond

Exactly. OP (and even TB since you're mentioning NSNA) did have the whole package.
From Kamal Khan to Maud Adams, from the spectacular Acrostar stuntwork to jumping carriages in Berlin it truly was one of Roger's best.

Watch the PTS of QoS to test out my 5.1 system ajb007/biggrin

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

Just watched DAF ( always a fun outing ) and now TMWTGG  ajb007/martini

Watching The World Is Not Enough...the colours are more vivid than what I remember them to be.
Don't pay any attention to what I said in my review about them, they are quite stunning in the Bilbao sequence.

There are also some very nice cuts in the PTS, money checking machine-to Moneypenny and Bond looking out the window for the sniper.

More updates soon.

Was watching SPECTRE earlier today after I had only watched it before my holiday.

It's still one of my favourites. Time is flying with this film. Feels short like QOS really.

SP is an artistic masterpiece, Mendes really got it right with that one in about every possible aspect.

Dalton Rulez™

BondJasonBond006 wrote:

Was watching SPECTRE earlier today after I had only watched it before my holiday.

It's still one of my favourites. Time is flying with this film. Feels short like QOS really.

SP is an artistic masterpiece, Mendes really got it right with that one in about every possible aspect.

I came out of the theatre and wanted it to be even longer!

Watched SP myself the other day. While it's still at the bottom of my ranking, I still enjoy quite a bit of it and I know I'm a little too hard on it. It's a very well made film. Lol I don't agree on the length though.
ajb007/lol
And since I was in a Brosnan mood today, I watched TND and DAD. Both extremely underrated IMO. TND is so awesome. DAD is ridiculous during the second half but I just have a such a good time watching it. The nostalgia I have for Brosnan's films doesn't hurt.
ajb007/martini

1. GE 2. CR 3. LTK 4. TLD 5. TB 6. GF 7. FRWL 8. DN 9. OHMSS 10. QOS 11. TND 12. TSWLM 13. FYEO 14. OP 15. MR 16. TWINE 17. DAD 18. SF 19. DAF 20. AVTAK 21. LALD 22. TMWTGG 23. YOLT 24. SP

1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby

Remington wrote:

Watched SP myself the other day. While it's still at the bottom of my ranking, I still enjoy quite a bit of it and I know I'm a little too hard on it. It's a very well made film. Lol I don't agree on the length though.
ajb007/lol
And since I was in a Brosnan mood today, I watched TND and DAD. Both extremely underrated IMO. TND is so awesome. DAD is ridiculous during the second half but I just have a such a good time watching it. The nostalgia I have for Brosnan's films doesn't hurt.
ajb007/martini

Differing opinions make the world go round ajb007/martini.

I too love TND and seen it quite recently (day before yesterday, I believe). Listening to the soundtrack on a regular basis makes me remember the film...thus making me want to watch it. DAD is awesome up until Cuba. I love the scenes with his contact there but the Jinx dialogue could've been improved to say the least. England section is ok (yes, I love VR) but the Ice Palace scenes feel odd and un-Bond-ian for some reason. When he goes sneaking about in the night, it's Iceland. He should've put another layer on or just made it into a tactle-tux from TLD. After he shags with Frosty, the film felt as sleazy as it was in DAF when he shags Tiffany but on a different level. The part between is blurry but I like the idea of two gadget infested cars on ice, fighting. What comes after is stupid and blurry and I never watch the ending in wherever Bond and Jinx may be.

Bit of FRWL on ITV4 last night.

The Bond and Kerim Bay banter is a bit sexist, a bit Kennedy era. Stuff changes, like the St Sofia stuff with handing over the map of the embassy (still not sure what's going on there) and later Bond says of the fellow he finds killed: 'Saved me having to do it..' It does sort of bring it home that the whole action hero thing was a nastier world, different times.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

First I need to say, for me, this is a proper James Bond film, always considered it part of the series.
I got the complaints about the missing PTS (which is melted here with the titles), the GB etc.

Not anymore though. The Craig era has done much greater sins concerning beloved Bond traditions.

NSNA features a stunning supporting cast. I love Bernie Casey as Felix, Q, M, MP, Blofeld....great actors all of them and wonderful in their parts of the well known characters.

As for production value I don't see how NSNA is in any way less impressive than other films of the 80s. It's a complaint I heard repeatedly so I address it here.

Sean Connery looks fantastic. That's what actually does work for an older Bond. I'm in fear of what will come in 2019 thinking of this issue.

As a re-make of Thunderball this works very well I think. The first 48 minutes are much more entertaining than in TB.

Personally I love Kim Basinger as Domino. She is so different to Claudine that it is almost impossible to compare.

But NSNA shouldn't be compared too much to TB anyway. Just take it as what it is. An alternate Bond universe created outside of the EON world.

I would have loved to see something similar again much later but it sadly never materialised.

The score I like too. The title song is fine and I'd rank it somewhere over OP, TND, DAD, QOS and SF.

The jazzy feel is great and works well in many scenes.

Fatima Blush certainly gave me a lot of wet dreams back in the day when I discovered NSNA, long after it was at the cinema of course.

Overall I like this film as much as the rest of the Bond films. Ranking it is difficult, it would not be at the bottom, maybe just outside the bottom six.

My favourite part probably is the first meeting with Rowan Atkinson on the street (just watch Connery's priceless facial expressions), the Game at the charity ball and Connery and Carrera's end-game.

There is an adventure feel to the film as well in the last act. Almost an Indy feel, I love the prison set, totally.

I also prefer the underwater scenes to the ones in TB. Here the length is perfect and I especially like the tense shark sequence which is shot and edited brilliantly. Anything but boring!

Dalton Rulez™

BondJasonBond006 wrote:

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

Fatima Blush certainly gave me a lot of wet dreams back in the day when I discovered NSNA, long after it was at the cinema of course.

"This man is a fool for redheads."
-Esteban, Kill Jason Vol 2

Goldfinger

Enjoyed it as much as ever.

Though not as much as BondJason' enjoyed Fatima Blush, I'd wager...

AVTAK, well much of it.

Moore is an arch so and so isn't he. "We could DOOOO with a couple of glasses..."

That said, his expressions... like when he is with Mons Aubergine in the Eiffel Tower restaurant, and John Barry's music changes to signify something sinister is going to happen, and Moore's expression changes to signify that. He was great at all that stuff.

Stunt doubles really too visible in ensuing chase however.

Not sure you can really get away with just dropping people out of an airship over Frisco Bay, wouldn't someone notice?

I like the EON family with all the office personnel, Richard Brownjohn and so on wasn't it? You missed that in NSNA as it was just Bond meeting M by himself, meeting Moneypenny by himself, meeting Q by himself and so on. That said it seems Moore is picking up on Connery's manner in that scene.

Always like AVTAK but as I get older I notice that Moore is looking too old for it in many scenes, though not all of them. Other times he looks younger than in years. And I do like his sarcastic way with the staff when he is at Zorin's castle.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Napoleon Plural wrote:

I notice that Moore is looking too old for it in many scenes, though not all of them. Other times he looks younger than in years.

I've noticed that as well. He looks good at Ascot, in M's office, mostly in France and fine in the PTS/finale. However he looks really old in some of the San Fran scenes, particularly the drive to Stacey's place.

He's slimmer in AVTAK than he is in OP, so when he looks good, I think he looks pretty damn good.

1. TWINE  2. FYEO  3. MR  4. TLD  5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS  7. DN  8. OP  9. AVTAK  10. TMWTGG  11. QoS 12. GE  13. CR  14. TB  15. FRWL  16. LTK  17. GF  18. SF  19. LaLD  20. YOLT  21. TND  22. DAD  23. DAF.

"If you'll forgive me, that's a little too scented for my palate."

Diamonds Are Forever, and although I swapped roles with my dad by falling a sleep this time in stead of my old man, I really enjoyed the first half of it. DAF is a movie that's always better than I remember. Not that's suddenly on top of my list, it's still quite low, but better than I remembered.

MI6Community: DoubleOGeauss
YouTube: DutchJamesBondFan