Re: The tension in Korea

Number24 wrote:

I don't think we're talking about shooting down these missile that are tested. If NK try to launch at Guam it's a different matter. My impression is hacking, radio waves and that sort of thing is used to make the missile crash or not lunch at all.

Yes this is what I mean. The toppling of the missiles as in Doctor No by interfering with the controls. I do not know if this is even possible to do in real life. Instead of bombing the Americans can frustrate the North Koreans missiles programmes by making them fail.

That the fact that that so many failures to launch or breaking up while in flight might be the bad engineering but could it also be the Americans are at work? Even if it was not the Americans would it be good for them to make everyone including the North Koreans to think they can do this? If so the North Koreans might not look for solution to the problems in their missiles but think it is the Americans who are causing them to fail?

I googled "North Korea missile launch US interference" and got many hits. Many believe this is happening Vice President Pence was asked about the issue and dodged the question.

Thunderpussy wrote:

The N.Koreans are nowhere as far advanced in missile technology as some make out.  ajb007/wink

They certainly aren't,  North Korea are attempting a huge propaganda on these missiles,  let's not forget the photoshopped photos of their military hovercraft,  for them to take on the US is like an Asian hornet taking on a bald eagle.  Rest easy that all the juxtapositioning will amount to....
Not an awful lot

It was either that.....or the priesthood

It will probably and hopefully not lead to anything. The NK technology is weak and old-fashioned. Sometimes the missiles crash because of their own technology, other times their technology makes it possible for the US to intefere.

NK just fired a missile across Japan. This is so extreme even Russia and China is reacting with stern language. This has always been the strategy of the regime to provoke the world around them, enough to keep others on their toes. A bit like a  school bully who throws tantrums to get out of class and ovoid following the rules. The question is if NK miscalculates and goes to far and triggers a war or some other unwanted consequence. Trump is inexperienced, impulsive and hehas said himself that he wants to be inpredictable. This is a worrying mix.

Last edited by Number24 (29th Aug 2017 14:15)

Number24 wrote:

thsi is a worrying mix.

...and that's putting it mildly.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

North Korea will find itself a very small and vulnerable little country soon.  ajb007/martini

Writer/Director @ The Bondologist Blog (TBB)
On Twitter: @Dragonpol 
'Like' TBB on FB: TBB Update Page
"The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

Silhouette Man wrote:

North Korea will find itself a very small and vulnerable little country soon.  ajb007/martini

I also don't think that it would be a disposable little country for Un as no other country would protect him.

"...I have the oddest feeling we will be meeting again sometime..."
-Roger Moore's James Bond. RIP.
I have a YouTube channel on all things Bond (amongst other things, coming soon™).
The name's Bond and Beyond. It's currently on hold, though.

I have no doubt it was a very worrying situation for those in Northern Japan and completely un called for from NK. But I am sure they are cute enough to know upset Russia and China and they will be in the brown stuff.

Reminds me of Iraq where the regime kept feeding the leader on crap. Only this time they are backing it up with some reality ( with ability to project at least). But whether NK can load it with something nuclear will be interesting to see.

I am sure if NK pushes it too far we will just invade from the South and head North!

Interesting times ahead  ajb007/biggrin

Cheers  ajb007/bond

My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!

Dirty Punker wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:

I also don't think that it would be a disposable little country for Un as no other country would protect him.

NK has been small and vulnerable for a long time. That's why the regime feels it necessary to spend so much resources on missiles and atomic bombs. I'm not sure the people know how vulnerable and isolated the country is. When the last Kim died state TV showed the coffin ntercut with world leaders bowing and showing grief. The foreign leaders were reacting to other things than the death of The Great Leader, but how would North Koreans know? They are also shown images from the sums of other countries and are told that people in South Korea, the US and Europe are poor and starving while NK is doing well.
China is getting more and more tired of the NK regime, but they don't want South Korea on their doorstep.

It seems that Kim has made the earth move... ajb007/amazed

Yes. I saw an interview with a Norwegian who was in a hotel room in Pyongyang at the time. The bed he was in actually did move because of the explosion. When he got down to the lobby the test was reported on state-controlled TV and the Koreans there cheered and seemed genuinely proud. There are two ways of explaining the recent actions of the regime. They could be testing the new president in the US, but I think it's more likely they think their country/regime is under threat and they need to show strength.

https://s26.postimg.cc/3sppqd2z9/a1e0055144818ff5dad1b1f1099a369f0522538387fb563c.jpg

1. GE 2. CR 3. LTK 4. TLD 5. TB 6. GF 7. FRWL 8. DN 9. OHMSS 10. QOS 11. TND 12. TSWLM 13. FYEO 14. OP 15. MR 16. TWINE 17. DAD 18. SF 19. DAF 20. AVTAK 21. LALD 22. TMWTGG 23. YOLT 24. SP

1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby

North Korea will eventually go too far and the result of this will not be favourable to them. As they are led by a madman their annihilation is all too possible a scenario. Trump will not be a president who sits back and twiddles his thumbs as Obama often did. We've seen him take resolute action against Syria and Afghanistan. North Korea is next on the agenda.

Silhouette Man wrote:

North Korea will eventually go too far and the result of this will not be favourable to them. As they are led by a madman their annihilation is all too possible a scenario. Trump will not be a president who sits back and twiddles his thumbs as Obama often did. We've seen him take resolute action against Syria and Afghanistan. North Korea is next on the agenda.

Amen

1. GE 2. CR 3. LTK 4. TLD 5. TB 6. GF 7. FRWL 8. DN 9. OHMSS 10. QOS 11. TND 12. TSWLM 13. FYEO 14. OP 15. MR 16. TWINE 17. DAD 18. SF 19. DAF 20. AVTAK 21. LALD 22. TMWTGG 23. YOLT 24. SP

1. Connery 2. Moore 3. Dalton 4. Brosnan 5. Craig 6. Lazenby

I have just watched an television interview on the news with a lady who is a refugee from North Korea who now lives in England. I could not tell much of what she was saying because of her accent but I did hear her talking about what the North Korean people know about the news and the west. She said they only have one tv channel one newspaper and one radio channel but most of the time the electricity is not working so they do not see this or even get to read the newspaper. I thought it was interesting when she said that many people have fled North Korea to China and even South Korea and now many of these people have underground contact with their family and so news of what happens in the outside world does get through to the North Korean people.
I still wonder how far the real support for the dictator goes with the people and the military? I could really not see them wanting to fight too hard? But of course I could be wrong.

Remington wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:

Amen

One of the problems is that "resolute action" is likely to lead to "resolute" action" from Kim Jun Un, re-enforcing a spiral that may very well end in war. A war will probably end in the fall of his regime, but also to huge civilian losses north and south of the border and possible nuclear war. Unlike in Syria and Afghanistan, Trump taking "resolute action" might actually lead to something and that worries me deeply.

Last edited by Number24 (4th Sep 2017 10:47)

Remington wrote:
Silhouette Man wrote:

Amen

So far, Trumps "showing big balls" talk failed miserably because Fat Kim continued his programme without hesitation.
His "resolute actions" in Syria and Afghanistan have been symbols - no substance at all!

Just imagine if there was the POTUS campaigning now - how he would rant about the current leadership and their "stupidity, weakness and "thumb twiddling"".

I don't think that this conflict has the potential to lead into a World War but one thing is for sure:
The people from South Korea and Japan will pay the price of a military strike initiated from the US side.

Because of that I don't see a realistic alternative to talks, sanctions and alliances though this may sound lame to some of the falcons  ajb007/rolleyes

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

ITV showed Die Another Day on Saturday night, so to be fair Kim Jong-un was probably reacting to that.

I felt like letting off a bomb after I saw that film.

"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

To be fair, that theory isn't completely improbable.

Last edited by Number24 (4th Sep 2017 16:25)

This situation is going to deteriorate I fear. NK have caused an earthquake felt through China and Russia,  I wouldn't be surprised if NK news isn't showing footage of the flooding in the US as a result of their power.  Kim Jong Un is on a role I think he believes his own hype and propaganda.

I just checked the NATO articles in regard to Guam. The "all for one, one for all" ethos is wonderful. But it only applies if NATO member territories in Europe or north America are attacked. That's why NATO wasn't involved in the Falklands war. NATO would have joined if an attack had been made on territories such as Gibraltar or the Svalbard/Spitsbergen Islands.

Last edited by Number24 (4th Sep 2017 16:47)

Napoleon Plural wrote:

ITV showed Die Another Day on Saturday night, so to be fair Kim Jong-un was probably reacting to that.

Haha

Napoleon Plural wrote:

You wont have a problem with bombs if you eat more fibre  ajb007/lol   ajb007/tongue

Number24 wrote:

I just checked the NATO articles in regard to Guam. The "all for one, one for all" ethos is wonderful. But it only applies if NATO member territories in Europe or north America are attacked. That's why NATO wasn't involved in the Falklands war. NATO would have joined if an attack had been made on territories such as Gibraltar or the Svalbard/Spitsbergen Islands.

Yes it's simply the north Atlantic treaty. From what I'm reading Japan are becoming increasingly upset as are south Korea,  Japan has anti ballistic capabilities in line with the US programme,  I can see this being deployed. Last night NK moved a missile to a new firing location.