Re: No Time To Die wardrobe: possible spoilers

An Ian Fleming Classic: Dark Navy tropical worsted suit, white short sleeve dress shirt, black knitted tie (optional) and black saddle stitched sandals (maybe Birkenstocks), no socks (optional could also be white ones)!  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Just imagine the furor! Comparing to  that, the Beer-Gate was just a breeze!

"I mean, she almost kills bond...with her ass."
-Mr Arlington Beech

No doubt TF , omega and crockett and jones are nailed on.
I personally hope they go back to the CR style , loved the casualness and undercover type look.
More Tshirts/polos , leather jacket and Cocktail cuff shirts.
Besides much easier on the wallet than TF or BC  ajb007/lol

007 reporting for duty

Chriscoop wrote:
nafets47 wrote:

I honestly would love for more leather jackets, something from Matchless would be great (everything I own of theirs is awesome, and no I don't own the Craig Blouson) but it is really just not Bond's style.

I feel that Craig's style and Bond's are miles apart and while Craig wears leathers and other great clothing which I like, Bond is a suit, polo, chuka, light jacket kinda guy.

Best,
Stefan

Dalton, Brosnan and Craig have all worn leather jackets,  so I think it could work, especially if it's inkeeping with scene/ location.
Id also like bond back in persols and some more affordable items mixed in with his wardrobe.  Up until Sp we had loads of reachable pieces.... Hell Cr and qos even made bonds cars within reach of many with the Ford Mondeo and Volvo.  Spectre went uber expensive with the Dior homme jacket and thousand dollar polo shirt.

I think part of Spectre's outlandishly priced wardrobe is due to the massively overblown budget. Hopefully this next film will have a much smaller budget and some more realistic wardrobe choices. I know Bond's essentially a fantasy character and always wears the best but a higher price tag doesn't always mean that, and can even take away from the character.

walther p99 wrote:

I know Bond's essentially a fantasy character and always wears the best but a higher price tag doesn't always mean that, and can even take away from the character.

You're right that higher price doesn't always correlate with higher quality, particularly in fashion brands like Armani and Dior. But I didn't seek anything in Spectre that detracted from the character. If you take a step back, the price of the wardrobe is irrelevant/unknown to everyone aside from collectors (and those of us who are obsessively curious about the clothes). Most people associate Bond with nice stuff, but it's not readily apparent how expensive the clothes are. For instance, unlike the Brioni suits of the Brosnan years, the Tom Ford suits in Skyfall and Spectre look much less flashy due to the restrained suitings. And even that nuance is probably lost on 98% of the audience! As we now know, Temime (and Craig) designed most of the clothes for Spectre and Tom Ford simply manufactured them. That still makes them "Tom Ford" clothes, but the whole point was a certain look they were trying to achieve rather than a specific association between Bond and a luxury brand. Although the  clothing was expensive, the look was pretty restrained.

I thought the wardrobe for QoS was basically perfect, but many people here preferred Skyfall because it wasn't just Tom Ford stuff, which made it cheaper to collect. I don't care how much the clothes cost because I'm not going to be collecting them. I would rather Bond look his best on screen - regardless of who manufactures the clothes - which will inspire my personal style accordingly.

Last edited by Miles Messervy (21st Aug 2017 14:57)

Miles Messervy wrote:
walther p99 wrote:

I know Bond's essentially a fantasy character and always wears the best but a higher price tag doesn't always mean that, and can even take away from the character.

You're right that higher price doesn't always correlate with higher quality, particularly in fashion brands like Armani and Dior. But I didn't seek anything in Spectre that detracted from the character. If you take a step back, the price of the wardrobe is irrelevant/unknown to everyone aside from collectors (and those of us who are obsessively curious about the clothes). Most people associate Bond with nice stuff, but it's not readily apparent how expensive the clothes are. For instance, unlike the Brioni suits of the Brosnan years, the Tom Ford suits in Skyfall and Spectre look much less flashy due to the restrained suitings. And even that nuance is probably lost on 98% of the audience! As we now know, Temime (and Craig) designed most of the clothes for Spectre and Tom Ford simply manufactured them. That still makes them "Tom Ford" clothes, but the whole point was a certain look they were trying to achieve rather than a specific association between Bond and a luxury brand. Although the  clothing was expensive, the look was pretty restrained.

I thought the wardrobe for QoS was basically perfect, but many people here preferred Skyfall because it wasn't just Tom Ford stuff, which made it cheaper to collect. I don't care how much the clothes cost because I'm not going to be collecting them. I would rather Bond look his best on screen - regardless of who manufactures the clothes - which will inspire my personal style accordingly.

yeah you're absolutely right. I think that's why outside of Bond there's not a lot of Tom Ford's clothing that I like. Its usually very flashy and the opposite of Bond's style. Skyfall's suiting (not fit) especially had that restrained look that I associate with Bond. I think Craig said to Jany that he wanted a suit "you could forget" for Skyfall.

Last edited by walther p99 (21st Aug 2017 15:54)

Whatever he wears I look forward to the search for the budget alternatives:-)

Instagram: mybudgetbond
Twitter: @mybudgetbond1

Please just put him in tailored suits that don't look like they are a size too small for him!

Nobody needs to see a grown man in attire that looks like it might have shrunk at the dry cleaners, but he can't afford to replace it!

Don't get me wrong, I like the slim/tailored fits - but when Bond looks like he is smuggling budgies in his suit, things have gone too far!

Yes. Considerably.

Miles Messervy wrote:

Not strictly wardrobe related, per se, but I think Craig needs a longer haircut for B25. At least QoS length, if not longer (think Heineken advert for Spectre). Even if it doesn't make him look younger - although I believe it would - it creates a more distinguished look befitting a man of his age. The cropped thing is not the least bit flattering on him at this point. He's carrying more weight in the face these days, and the short cut on the sides overemphasizes this.

Definitely agree.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I'd really like to see Bond in a deck jacket or something similar.

https://s30.postimg.cc/co36mt2zx/w9902_1.jpg
Pike Bros

https://s30.postimg.cc/9iikwlkdp/images_3.jpg
Buzz Rickson

https://s30.postimg.cc/4l50bhiel/front_view1.jpg
Real McCoys

Have a gander at the new Tom Ford Fall/Winter Catalog....maybe some Bond inspiration in there:  http://www.tomford.com/men/ready-to-wea … 6nfpin066o

The Mantis was always The Bond Experience, but now he is The Bond Experience on AJB as well...
Visit youtube.com/TheBondExperience

The Mantis wrote:

Have a gander at the new Tom Ford Fall/Winter Catalog....maybe some Bond inspiration in there:  http://www.tomford.com/men/ready-to-wea … 6nfpin066o

Most of that would be appropriate for Bond.

Miles Messervy wrote:
The Mantis wrote:

Agreed, I could see Bond in a lot of that. Would love to see him in that dark navy cashmere blend funnel collar half button. New season definitely looks better then the previous season or two that was heavily 70's inspired and the polar opposite of Bond's style.

walther p99 wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:
The Mantis wrote:

Agreed, I could see Bond in a lot of that. Would love to see him in that dark navy cashmere blend funnel collar half button. New season definitely looks better then the previous season or two that was heavily 70's inspired and the polar opposite of Bond's style.

"A happy selection, if I may say." The only one of these that looks slightly off would be the cashmere blend, suede front jacket.
Not 70s, not Bond, not that good anyhow.
Is the quilted jacket back or was it a standard TF jacket anyhow? I saw a nice Harrington scrolling down but I'd love to see Bond in an original Baracuta jacket.

a reasonable rate of return

Also I wonder what collar Bond will have with his dress shirts this time? Craig's Bond seems to have a different shirt collar with every film.

walther p99 wrote:

Also I wonder what collar Bond will have with his dress shirts this time? Craig's Bond seems to have a different shirt collar with every film.

Weren't CR and QOS just spread collars?

Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.

BondClothing wrote:
walther p99 wrote:

Weren't CR and QOS just spread collars?

Both are medium spread collars, but the shapes are different because the shirts in one film are from Brioni and the shirts in the other are from Tom Ford. Brosnan had a repeat shirtmaker in two films and still had different collars in every film. Only Connery and Moore had a little consistency.

walther p99 wrote:

I think a full spread like what Connery wore would look good on Craig. Medium spread is fine, too. That said, I didn't mind the point collars in Spectre because the points were long enough to make it look elegant.

I definately see this making a comeback, very McQueen!

http://www.tomford.com/cashmere-blend-k … mp;start=1

The Mantis wrote:

MinSpy wrote:

The Mantis wrote:

Sure Mcqueen could wear that, but should Bond?

walther p99 wrote:
MinSpy wrote:

The Mantis wrote:

Post 63 for me.
Not Bond.

a reasonable rate of return

I'd rather see him in this than safari style, unless it is modified to be more military style. The styles picked for Craig as Bond are from the McQueen playbook and they look good on him. The Sanders and Sanders boots in Spectre are a good example of this, something I didn't think I would see as they are kinda fugly.

walther p99 wrote:
MinSpy wrote:

The Mantis wrote:

MinSpy wrote:

I'd rather see him in this than safari style, unless it is modified to be more military style. The styles picked for Craig as Bond are from the McQueen playbook and they look good on him. The Sanders and Sanders boots in Spectre are a good example of this, something I didn't think I would see as they are kinda fugly.

walther p99 wrote:
MinSpy wrote:

If Craig didn't resemble Mcqueen do you think they would still use him as a style template as much as they have?

walther p99 wrote:
MinSpy wrote:

walther p99 wrote:

If Craig didn't resemble Mcqueen do you think they would still use him as a style template as much as they have?

I think McQueen's style (at least earlier in his career) was a great template for classic American men's style in general, along with Newman's, Redford's and others. It may sound odd now, but I never viewed Bond as a great example of how to execute casual style well until Craig. So when they were looking to dress Craig in something other than suits, it makes sense to me that they would go back to the classics worn by the more "masculine" style icons. It may have less to do with the way Craig looks in comparison to McQueen, and more to do with the type of Bond he was portraying: more rough and tumble with a definite edge, more comfortable with sarcasm than the charming quip, and with an underlying FU attitude. So his casual clothes needed to match that but still look relatively refined.

I think Craig looks his best as Bond when they keep the casual looks simpler and more utilitarian: fit issues aside, most of what he wore in CR, QoS and SF work really well IMHO. As does the Morocco look in SP (although the Matchless is still a bit of a stretch, if I'm being honest). But in the SP Solden and London finale scenes, I think he looks a little uncomfortable, almost restricted. Like the outfits are too busy or he's trying to be too "Fashion", if you know what I mean.

Anyway, my hope is the return to the casual style of QoS for 25.

I think they are dressing him in the current styles which are  definately based on a lot of 60's classics but I also think they are looking to McQueens style as influence as he was a style icon. I also agree that he resembles McQueen which makes it easier.

On another note he should definately play McQueen if they do a movie about him and not Brad Pitt. Craig would be more authentic I think.

walther p99 wrote:
MinSpy wrote:

walther p99 wrote:

MinSpy wrote:

I think they are dressing him in the current styles which are  definately based on a lot of 60's classics but I also think they are looking to McQueens style as influence as he was a style icon. I also agree that he resembles McQueen which makes it easier.

On another note he should definately play McQueen if they do a movie about him and not Brad Pitt. Craig would be more authentic I think.

walther p99 wrote:
MinSpy wrote:

It's certainly possible, Craig would just have to lose a considerable amount of mass first.