Re: Craig is back: Discuss Bond 25 here

Chriscoop wrote:
philpog wrote:
welshboy78 wrote:

DC has created a goldmine for EON so I wouldn't expect him to be on peanuts.   He is box office gold and Bond 25 will make crazy money also like Skyfall and SPECTRE

Unfortunately, Craig is not box office gold in pretty much anything outside of Bond, with a long list of financial disappointments and/or failed attempts at franchises (COWBOYS & ALIENS, THE GOLDEN COMPASS, ADVENTURES OF TINTIN, the American GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO). He must know this, and it's probably a major reason why he's back for Bond 25.

Cowboys and aliens took over 225,000,000 and was made on a budget of 100,000,000.  And it had Harrison Ford!  tgwtdt was made on a budget of 90 million and took 280 million it also won an Oscar and numerous other awards.  ( figures include dvd sales etc) golden compass had that whole religious argument going on and wasn't really a Daniel  Craig film,  defiance was probably the worst with 68 million takings on a budget of just shy of 50 million which is a shame given the subject matter,  I don't think you can count TINTIN as a Craig film,  Really not bad profit margins. I struggle to think of any actor who carries a film just on his name alone these days?

I cant think of any either to be honest.

@deanwdunlevy

Chriscoop wrote:

Cowboys and aliens took over 225,000,000 and was made on a budget of 100,000,000.

Believe it or not, that is still considered a failure in Hollywood.

You may be right about DRAGON TATTOO. The reason why we never saw a sequel to that film probably had more to do with David Fincher losing interest and moving onto other projects.

THE INVASION and DREAM HOUSE were both flops, though, and DEFIANCE underperformed.

Brosnan was actually more of a box office draw in between Bond films. DANTE'S PEAK and THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR did very well, and some of his films post-Bond have been successful.

I think those days are gone walther p99,  ensemble casting seems to be the thing.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Craig's strength outside of Bond - which I think we're about to see with Logan Lucky - is character work, IMO.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Loeffelholz wrote:

Craig's strength outside of Bond - which I think we're about to see with Logan Lucky - is character work, IMO.

I completely concur  ajb007/martini

Loeffelholz wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Beyond Bond, I think Craig is looking to the future and longevity as a character actor. I have always wondered if there is a film adaptation of the EON produced play "A Steady Rain" which starred Craig and Hugh Jackman. The play received very good reviews and did well in its limited run.

I agree too. I think we'll see Craig in character roles of the same type as Munich and Logan's Lucky in the future.

Someone else made a very good observation about Jeffrey Wright potentially teasing his role a few months ago… Probably corresponding with when Craig made his final decision as well?

The Mantis was always The Bond Experience, but now he is The Bond Experience on AJB as well...
Visit youtube.com/TheBondExperience

The Mantis wrote:

Someone else made a very good observation about Jeffrey Wright potentially teasing his role a few months ago… Probably corresponding with when Craig made his final decision as well?

Craig and Wright have excellent chemistry. I'd personally like to see Leiter in an expanded role.

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller

Loeffelholz wrote:
The Mantis wrote:

Craig and Wright have excellent chemistry. I'd personally like to see Leiter in an expanded role.

They worked together before on Invasion so their relationship goes back a long way.  I love Wright he is very underrated and IMHO he has some good acting chops

It's safe to say that BB & Craig has that Cubby & Moore relationship...

"Bond, James Bond"

http://deadline.com/2017/08/blake-livel … 202150418/

Colbert's show is owned by Viacom, which owns Paramount.

Is Bond going to Paramount?

I just saw the Craig/Colbert interview.  He certainly still looks fit for a man his age - I'll give him that.  I also put his Bond performances on the same level as my favorite - Dalton.  I only give Dalton more of an edge because I think he looks more like how I picture Bond in the novels.  CR and SF are some of my favorites that I enjoy watching over and over.  I had really enjoyed Craig's take on the character and when it looked like the last film really was going to be his last one, I was fine with that.  Given that and the fact a few years would go by before the next one, I was looking forward to seeing a new actor and my favorite would have been Aidan Turner.  He looked the part for me and it would have been another fresh start for the series..and so...

I have to say as much as I have enjoyed Craig, it was actually a let down for me when it became official.  There are two big reasons for this.  One is that I was very disappointed in the last film.  As much as I like some parts of it, to me the whole story was too contrived and they brought back the Blofeld character in a very weak, clumsy way.  They also tried to have Craig do some very Moore like scenes and it just didn't convince me. I'm really fearful they may try the same route in the next film and I would be let down once again.  On point two, Craig is past the age for the Bond character IMO.  Yes, as I said he is in really good shape and I'm sure he will be for the next film, but unless they plan on fixing the script so that it's supposed to be Bond near the end of his career, I'm not going to be convinced by his appearance no matter how good the film turns out.  It's one of the things that turned me off the last Moore entries - he looked like he should have been doing HQ desk work by then.  By the time the next one is done and out, I fear that Craig is going is be giving me the same kind of feeling - no matter how fit he is.

So, I'll see how this all plays out.  If the film is about an aged Bond and the story is a first rate one and something close to Fleming's material in spirit and as good as CR or SF was, I'll probably be ok. If they miss any of the production marks - story, villain, too many gadgets, weak theme song - and on, it's going put me in the dumps.  All I can do is keep the old digits crossed.  Oh - and I wish his wife could convince him to darken his eyebrows a bit for it.  Every time I see him they're getting so light it's starting to look like they're missing to me!

Last edited by CmdrAtticus (18th Aug 2017 16:51)

walther p99 wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:
philpog wrote:

Unfortunately, Craig is not box office gold in pretty much anything outside of Bond, with a long list of financial disappointments and/or failed attempts at franchises (COWBOYS & ALIENS, THE GOLDEN COMPASS, ADVENTURES OF TINTIN, the American GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO). He must know this, and it's probably a major reason why he's back for Bond 25.

Cowboys and aliens took over 225,000,000 and was made on a budget of 100,000,000.  And it had Harrison Ford!  tgwtdt was made on a budget of 90 million and took 280 million it also won an Oscar and numerous other awards.  ( figures include dvd sales etc) golden compass had that whole religious argument going on and wasn't really a Daniel  Craig film,  defiance was probably the worst with 68 million takings on a budget of just shy of 50 million which is a shame given the subject matter,  I don't think you can count TINTIN as a Craig film,  Really not bad profit margins. I struggle to think of any actor who carries a film just on his name alone these days?

I cant think of any either to be honest.

Tom Cruise

CmdrAtticus wrote:

CR and SF are some of my favorites that I enjoy watching over and over.  I had really enjoyed Craig's take on the character and when it looked like the last film really was going to be his last one, I was fine with that.  !

\

Agreed. I thought it was a great send off. The SP is sort of like QOS it grows on you the more you see it.

I am however pumped for another round, and to echo what others have said a Deathly Hallows (II part) would be nice.

Best,
Stefan

I'm pleased Daniel didn't consider Spectre as ending on a high note.

Actually he didn't say that. He just said Bond25 would be a high note.

Newman will probably just use a high note from Skyfall.  ajb007/biggrin

“God has given you one face, and you make yourself another"

Thunderpussy wrote:

Newman will probably just use a high note from Skyfall.  ajb007/biggrin

Got to get rid of him, presume Mendes out guarantees us that at least  ajb007/biggrin

Instagram - bondclothes007

Bring back Arnold, Stuart Baird, and Deakins.

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

Bring back Arnold, Stuart Baird, and Deakins.

Nothing to quarrel with there. But the director will almost certainly have a say in who comes on as editor and DP...and possibly scorer. Waiting anxiously here  ajb007/takecover

For its midlife crisis aspect, now I wish SF was saved for this 5th and presumably last DC film, but hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.  It would have been nice to do the endgame aspect of YOLT the novel (and of course using a different title) and perhaps even having a plausible mad-Blofeld including a sequence involving his Garden of Death, but now that would seem like SF 2.0.

I remember having this discussion for CR before DC was cast, in which PB ideally has his decent swansong, interweaving Bond's penultimate period in his career with recollections of his beginnings as a 00, with loose ends finally getting resolved with his finding his professional nirvana.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

Jag wrote:

I’ve got very mixed feelings. Have never been a fan of Craig’s Bond (although he would make a perfect Bond villain!) and will be happy to see him gone. At the same time, none of the successors’ names thrown around really made me excited. Except perhaps Idris Elba, but we always knew his chances were slim. What we should not forget here – and I am surprised that no-one seems to have mentioned it yet in the excitement – is that Craig admitted himself that if he would be doing another one, it would be only for the money. Which would also, incidentally, make a great title, "ONLY FOR THE MONEY".

I agree with everything you've written! I've sort of got used to Craig in the role but I'd be more cheery about his return had he not made those comments about money and slashing his wrists. We all know every Bond actor plays the role for the money although it's nice to think - perhaps in a naive, innocent kind of way - they actually enjoy playing the role. It's clear Craig doesn't really enjoy the role, perhaps he did at the beginning, although that's open to debate, but it's clear he's doing Bond 25 for the cash rather than any love for the franchise. I don't mean that as sounding anti-Craig just my honest opinion! Personally I'd rather he hadn't returned but if there are no exciting actors out there to replace him, fair enough. Perhaps someone will appear in a few years time and really excite the public.

bonded123 wrote:
Jag wrote:

I’ve got very mixed feelings. Have never been a fan of Craig’s Bond (although he would make a perfect Bond villain!) and will be happy to see him gone. At the same time, none of the successors’ names thrown around really made me excited. Except perhaps Idris Elba, but we always knew his chances were slim. What we should not forget here – and I am surprised that no-one seems to have mentioned it yet in the excitement – is that Craig admitted himself that if he would be doing another one, it would be only for the money. Which would also, incidentally, make a great title, "ONLY FOR THE MONEY".

I agree with everything you've written! I've sort of got used to Craig in the role but I'd be more cheery about his return had he not made those comments about money and slashing his wrists. We all know every Bond actor plays the role for the money although it's nice to think - perhaps in a naive, innocent kind of way - they actually enjoy playing the role. It's clear Craig doesn't really enjoy the role, perhaps he did at the beginning, although that's open to debate, but it's clear he's doing Bond 25 for the cash rather than any love for the franchise. I don't mean that as sounding anti-Craig just my honest opinion! Personally I'd rather he hadn't returned but if there are no exciting actors out there to replace him, fair enough. Perhaps someone will appear in a few years time and really excite the public.

He's often said how he loves the role and it's the best job in the world,  the quotes you've used were given in answer to the same question,  admittedly a really stupid reply to an Ill thought out question.  I actually thought Craig looked visibly moved by colberts audiences reaction to his confirmation.

bonded123 wrote:
Jag wrote:

I am more than certain that neither Dalton nor Brosnan did it for the money. For them it was a privilege to get chosen and Brosnan got sacked in the end for asking a bit too much money, which was his right given the overwhelming success at the BO of all of his four films.
Ironically BB throws money out of the window for Craig to return but Brosnan was deemed too expensive in 2003/2004.

Dalton Rulez™

Chriscoop wrote:
bonded123 wrote:
Jag wrote:

He's often said how he loves the role and it's the best job in the world,  the quotes you've used were given in answer to the same question,  admittedly a really stupid reply to an Ill thought out question.  I actually thought Craig looked visibly moved by colberts audiences reaction to his confirmation.

+ 1