Re: The not so short lived non argumentative political thread.

It looks like Macron has some ideas for EU.

- A fiance minister and budget for the whole of the Euro zone.
- A EU military intervention force, an EU defence minister and defence budget

Is this what the EU citizens want or need? I don't know, I don't live there.

Higgins wrote:

I am just hearing from the UK, that our long-time finance minister, Wolfgang Schäuble

https://www.bundesregierung.de/SiteGlobals/StyleBundles/Bilder/Bundeskabinett/bild-wolfgang-schaeuble.png?__blob=normal&v=8

has been fired.

That is far from what really happened!

1. The current coalition has lost the SPD and will need 2 other parties.
One of them are the liberal democrats and they want the ministry of finances to participate.

2. The second high position here in Germany (It's 1. The Federal President, 2. The Parliament President and on 3. the chancellor) is vacant and everybody wanted someone with acceptance and authority - particularly to keep the populists in line.

While I've never voted for his party, I have great respect for Schäuble and am a bit sorry that he's not in charge for our finances anymore.
But his new position is a very important one and he'll fill that out nothing less than brilliantly!

There's no news like..... Wrong news  ajb007/lol

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Number24 wrote:

It looks like Macron has some ideas for EU.

- A fiance minister and budget for the whole of the Euro zone.
- A EU military intervention force, an EU defence minister and defence budget

Is this what the EU citizens want or need? I don't know, I don't live there.

I said I liked some not all his ideas. 
I think any form of Eu military force is problematic to say the least.

Yes, that would probably be a bad idea. I think it's a key question if the EU should integrated further, stay as it is now for a while or even roll back some of the integration.

I think that the Eu needs to scale back on certain areas and concentrate on others,  it seems quite bizarre how such a prominent and powerful political organisation (as it's become) is impotent to deal with so many world issues and conflict.

If you want the big organisation deal with conflicts, you must find an agreement among the members - difficult when most of them don't want to give up any bit of sovereignity.

I still can hear the bemoaning about the "monster" and wasn't Boris "demanding back control?"
And Thatcher "it's our money"?

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Agreed if you needed someone to take  on a large
Corrupt  organisation it was Maggie !  ajb007/tongue

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

No matter what will be done the EU must make sure the citizens understand and accept the changes. If not it will result in more votes for AfD, Front National, Sverigedemokratarna etc.

Sadly I don't think the EU leaders will ever change,  which will
Lead to more votes for extremists  parties. This is what has
Happened in the past, and it looks to be repeating  itself.  ajb007/crap

There is a tendency among politicians to be too eager when it comes to making the EU cooperation closer than the population is ready for. It's a form of hubris, I think.

I think history is repeating itself.  The last  rise of
Fascism was born from an inequality  between  the
Rich and poor. It's pretty obvious those conditions
Exist again and when mixed with the anxiety  ( for
Some ) with immigration.  The extreme  right wing parties
Have the conditions to grow again. ...... unless the mainstream
Parties start to tackle  people's concerns.

To great economic inequality is a danger to any society. Political extremists feed on those conditions.

I have tried to write this carefully to choose my words correctly. I think this can apply in some circumstance to perhaps what could happen if the extremists of any country do get into power.

The first thing is to be the saviour of the people, the people will listen and support the party who does this. Many people are not interested in big politics but only about the things which they are concerned or affected by. To build up the support this way is good for the extremist party and to give promise of better times to come.

Get into power and then slowly begin to make sure the opposition parties are weakened until they can not oppose any more.

Pretend to be still the democracy by allowing the people to vote but really there is no choice in voting so you can have only one person ever as your leader.

This is politics at the barrel of a gun. Perhaps it could not happen in Europe but even I think it is best to make sure it does not or ever has a chance to do so like it did with the fascists of Germany and Italy and Spain before world war 2. I think many people in these countries at this time when Hitler came into power were not nazis but only ordinary people who listened to how the nazis would make everything good again for them in bad times.

You must always fight to make sure you have a free vote.

Last edited by Joshua (27th Sep 2017 21:23)

I hear many things about the EU and Brexit much of which I do not understand, but I do see the anger and saw this before the referendum. This anger was directed cleverly I think against many people who were not at fault and the peoples votes were perhaps for more simple things and not the big situation.

I did not vote in the Brexit vote but I respect the outcome of any free vote, but a lot of manipulation went on in my humble opinion.

I've heard an professor on TV the other day saying that you should spend as much time and effort researching your election decision like when you are buying a new car.

FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Thunderpussy wrote:

Sadly I don't think the EU leaders will ever change,  which will
Lead to more votes for extremists  parties. This is what has
Happened in the past, and it looks to be repeating  itself.  ajb007/crap

Could turn it the other way round as well:

No matter how transparent and efficient EU leaders are - there will always be some idiots among the voters who fall to the extremists and populists with their easy replies while the world around us is getting more and more complicated.

This is what has happened in the past, and it looks to be repeating  itself.

I don't dispute that some EU officials rest well in the EU hangmat - but it's like a bcc of our society.
They are not any better/worse than the majority of the average Joe.

And when I look at UK politicians, I am well assured that this does not apply solely to EU leaders......

Last edited by Higgins (28th Sep 2017 06:24)

I think it's world wide. ajb007/crap

As we say here,  the last man to step foot in parliament with honest intentions was guy fawkes.  Cromwell also did a fine job of clearing the house out twice so frustrated was he with the " ungodly rabble "

Remember that Fawkes was a terrorist and Cromwell was a dictator. It's vital to be critical against our elected politicians. But it's also a danger of becoming so critical, our watchfull eyes on our politicians makes us anti-democratic.

Cromwell wasn't a dictator  ajb007/confused he was persuaded to become Lord protector,  was offered and refused the crown and reinstated parliament twice.  Don't believe every thing you read,  a lot was written by Charles the 2nd stooges after his death. To his credit he created the first professional national army, built universitys and hospitals.  He was also more moderate about religion than Charles the first.

I returned to the thread to editor my post and change my comment about Cromwell to read "a dictator (according to many)". I should read more about him, but your view is probably valid.

I did a study of him some years ago he really is a victim of propaganda and demonisation after his death with many of his successful endeavours being given to other.  Of course he was also very brutal in many campaigns particularly to the Irish.

I really should read more about him. I do remember Monthy Python's song  ajb007/biggrin

I'm not as old as you so I don't  ajb007/tongue

You're cruel! And on the very day a kid for the first time called me "granddad"  ajb007/amazed
(I'm not even a dad)