Sanders & Sanders: Snuff or Chocolate?

BrackleyBondBrackleyBond Oundle, NorthamptonshirePosts: 87MI6 Agent
I am looking to get a pair of the Sanders & Sanders Hi-Top Chukka Boots, but I'm unsure on which colour was used in SPECTRE, the Snuff or the Chocolate?

Does anyone know for sure?

Many thanks

Daniel

Comments

• welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Think it was snuff.

Don’t want to be negative but they are not very well made. Mine worn once for a few hours and the soles really worn - crazy
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Mine too wore down remarkably quickly, they probably last much longer in the desert, which is of course what crepe soles are for. Also any slight wetness and on some surfaces they slip. I'd go for some lookalikes or some brown suede boots with a dainite sole.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    Herring makes a version that seems to be well reviewed. I have no experience with them:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=11033
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    I agree - they don't wear well at all. Had a pair and the soles (in particular the 'foxing' around the sole edges looked awful after one wear.

They can't be resoled either.
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Agreed with the above comments. I only wear mine once maybe twice a year.
  • BondClothingBondClothing Posts: 351MI6 Agent
    The whole outfit felt very "costume" when I first saw it. I couldn't imagine myself going about my day dressed like that however it has since grown on me ever so slighty.
    Lifestyle guide to the products and locations featured in the James Bond films.
  • sunny01sunny01 Posts: 524MI6 Agent
    i've worn mine loads and not had any problems with wear at all.....i guess it depends on how light you are on your feet :))
  • GSGS Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    I don't own a pair so can't comment but did see this morning via Instagram Mason and Sons are offering a free matching belt with the code BELTUP valid until midnight on Oct 4th.

They say in the same post Snuff was worn by Steve McQueen and Chocolate by DC in Spectre
  • BrackleyBondBrackleyBond Oundle, NorthamptonshirePosts: 87MI6 Agent
    This is why I'm thinking about it, however I always though that they were in Snuff (I think from watching Mantis's vlog on them) rather than in Chocolate!

When revisiting 'Bond Lifestyle' it said it was in either, so really don't know!
    GS wrote:
    I don't own a pair so can't comment but did see this morning via Instagram Mason and Sons are offering a free matching belt with the code BELTUP valid until midnight on Oct 4th.

They say in the same post Snuff was worn by Steve McQueen and Chocolate by DC in Spectre
    I don't think they've ever been positively id'd colour wise and of course those bloody filters in sp make discerning colours tricky. Personally I think they are more chocolate than snuff, certainly chocolate looks nearer to what is seen on screen even if they are not sa. My personal thoughts on these is that if you will only wear them occasionally then they are fine, the uppers are quality but the sole material negates them as a pair of daily beaters. My issue was with the outside of the heal wearing quick I replaced them with some delicious junction boots which look very similar but have a rubber sole and black separate foxing. They've to date worn well.
    Isnt here a pap picture of DC walking around London in this outfit during the day? Might help
  • LlafyksLlafyks Posts: 237MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Isnt here a pap picture of DC walking around London in this outfit during the day? Might help

Perhaps this might help? Snuff?

image.jpg
    Maybe it's my eyes but I'd say chocolate, I had them in snuff and they're just more gingery.
    20171002_171155.jpg

20171002_171215.jpg
    Chocolate

20171002_171232.jpg
    Snuff
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Maybe it's my eyes but I'd say chocolate, I had them in snuff and they're just more gingery.
    20171002_171155.jpg

20171002_171215.jpg
    Chocolate

20171002_171232.jpg
    Snuff
    Yeah it does look more chocolate then snuff. Doesn't matter though because I'm never buying another pair :)) .
    :)) :))
  • tango73tango73 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    for those of you in the UK Next have the chocolate version at £180 which is a tenner cheaper than elsewhere...
  • CDPCDP Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    I had the Sanders from before they appeared Spectre (nice when that happens!) and they've lasted OK but are starting to get tatty around the edge of the crepe. A delicate trim with scissors can help keep them tidy.

The Herring shoes look to be a similar sole but I have recently ordered these: https://www.thegothicshoecompany.com/collections/chukka-boots-and-shoes/products/chukka-playboy-boots-in-brown-suede - under half the price at £79.99 and a different look to the sole but from underneath only. More the Steve McQueen brown than the Spectre brown but I'm curious to see if more robust. I'll update once received.
  • The Bond VivantThe Bond Vivant SeendPosts: 1,325MI6 Agent
    I've worn mine, in Snuff, many times, and they haven't worn at all.
    Maybe it's bigger guys having the wear issues?
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Blair and I are essentially the same size........but we have had very different experiences
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Maybe it's bigger guys having the wear issues?
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    CDP wrote:
    I had the Sanders from before they appeared Spectre (nice when that happens!) and they've lasted OK but are starting to get tatty around the edge of the crepe. A delicate trim with scissors can help keep them tidy.

The Herring shoes look to be a similar sole but I have recently ordered these: https://www.thegothicshoecompany.com/collections/chukka-boots-and-shoes/products/chukka-playboy-boots-in-brown-suede - under half the price at £79.99 and a different look to the sole but from underneath only. More the Steve McQueen brown than the Spectre brown but I'm curious to see if more robust. I'll update once received.

I look forward to your review about these boots fit and durability.
    CDP wrote:

I look forward to your review about these boots fit and durability.
    These are very similar to the delicious junction boots I bought after the sanders, mine have worn pretty well just a bit of minimal wear on the heel which is normal for me
    They've been worn in rain, sun you name it, they are pretty good at this price point imo
    20171011_183543.jpg

20171011_183518.jpg

20171011_183441.jpg
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    Delicious Junction are way too small and narrow for me. Gothic makes them to order, so I will have to ask them about fitting a wide foot with high instep.
  • CajunCajun Posts: 481MI6 Agent
    CDP wrote:
    +1 for Gothic Shoe Co. Made to order and good quality-to-price ratio. They sell on Etsy as well.
    I edit, therefore I am.
    The wear on mine was at the heel - the foxing (the crepe that runs around the edge/Welt) basically rubbed up and so peeled away. I had driven in them but was very surprised at the damage a couple of hours driving did. I really liked them, just disappointed in my experience of them.

For the record I'm not one of the 'bigger guys' (insert joke/innuendo here)
  • Matt BMatt B Posts: 359MI6 Agent
    Dufus wrote:
    The wear on mine was at the heel - the foxing (the crepe that runs around the edge/Welt) basically rubbed up and so peeled away. I had driven in them but was very surprised at the damage a couple of hours driving did. I really liked them, just disappointed in my experience of them.

For the record I'm not one of the 'bigger guys' (insert joke/innuendo here)

A slightly different point of view here;
    I have several pairs and walk several miles in NYC daily in them. Inwear them when most other people
    Wear sneakers as they offer the most comfort of all non-sneakers I’ve ever owned. I have worn them in two severe rainstorms ( and lots of “mild rain”) where they were completely soaked and let them air-dry out. I think the slipperyness that some complain about is overrated, I’ve never slipped in them or felt like Inwas at risk of slipping.I highly recommend them as the Sanders along with the sunspel polo’s are pretty much the only thing from my collection that I think I actually wear. The boots do feel like they wear down quickly at first, but that initial “shock wear” seems to level off quickly and since the sole is so thick and the price is so relatively low I recommend buying a pair and wearing it hard for a year or so and then just replace them if needed.. By far the most comfortable boots I’ve ever had and they do not look dirty - I have never cleaned, sprayed or done anything to mine.
    My two cents for what it’s worth.
    BTW I just looked at my boots and my soles have tons of wear left in them.
    I also have several Pairs of church’s Ryder III with crepe sole and they are nowhere as comfortable and feel a bit too fancy to wear as they are so expensive- $700 Inthink I paid for the Church’s.
    edited November 2017
    Anybody tried the Playboy Chukkas which claim to be based on McQueens Playboy Chukkas manufacturer Hutton? Believe they bought some kind of rights from whoever took over from Hutton

They claim to manufacture them like the originals and the foxing is not simply glued like the Sanders

http://www.playboy-footwear.com/collection.php?type=men

Brief write up on the history

http://www.playboy-footwear.com/original.php

Today, The Original Playboy shoes are still manufactured using the same materials such as the 100% natural rubber for the crepe sole, high quality suede and full calf leather lining for the upper. Even the classic gold stamp and the leather insole are authentic. The Original Playboy shoes are also still based on the Goodyear Welting technique. A technique that is incredibly complicated when handling a sole consisting of several layers of leather, canvas, cork and crepe, all sewn together and attached to the suede upper by hand. There are probably well over 200 manual processes in manufacturing an Original Playboy shoe, all of which require a high level of classic shoemaking skills - in contrast to lookalike models that are simply glued together or cemented as it’s called.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Gents, the ones used in the movie were Snuff, not chocolate....just would hate for someone to want SA and come away with the wrong ones...
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Anybody tried the Playboy Chukkas which claim to be based on McQueens Playboy Chukkas manufacturer Hutton? Believe they bought some kind of rights from whoever took over from Hutton

They claim to manufacture them like the originals and the foxing is not simply glued like the Sanders

http://www.playboy-footwear.com/collection.php?type=men

Brief write up on the history

http://www.playboy-footwear.com/original.php

Today, The Original Playboy shoes are still manufactured using the same materials such as the 100% natural rubber for the crepe sole, high quality suede and full calf leather lining for the upper. Even the classic gold stamp and the leather insole are authentic. The Original Playboy shoes are also still based on the Goodyear Welting technique. A technique that is incredibly complicated when handling a sole consisting of several layers of leather, canvas, cork and crepe, all sewn together and attached to the suede upper by hand. There are probably well over 200 manual processes in manufacturing an Original Playboy shoe, all of which require a high level of classic shoemaking skills - in contrast to lookalike models that are simply glued together or cemented as it’s called.

Interesting - can't see how much they are or how to buy them though.
    Reading between the lines I think whatever rights they purchased restricts them from selling outside Scandinavia possibly. However they seem to have authorised dealers who ship anywhere. E.g

https://www.lesterstore.com/our-brands/playboy