Re: The BBC Radio 4 James Bond series

I’m currently listening to these radio adaptations.

I would prefer it if the novels were simply read out rather than just have the dialogue extracted and made into a radio play. The dialogue on its own, without Fleming’s marvellous descriptive skills, leaves the stories bereft of substance. And the dialogue alone can never compare to watching a Bond film in all its visual glory. It is like doing a radio adaptation of just the dialogue of 2001: A Space Odyssey—what would be the point of that?

I like John Standing's portrayal of M. He humanises M, and makes him less of a grump than Bernard Lee’s M. Toby Stephens similarly humanises Bond, but too much in my view. His Bond comes across as a little too “everyman” and cheery. Dalton’s Bond was also human, but his had a nervous edge, which a man who is in constant danger would have.

Barbel wrote:

The most OTT performance in the Radio 4 Bond series IMHO is David Suchet as Dr No!

I agree! His accent was totally absurd! I believe he is the actor who played paro (I don't know the spelling) the detective. I have never seen this but if he was as bad as in Dr No I am glad I never watched it!

Monsieur Sixte wrote:

I’m currently listening to these radio adaptations.

I would prefer it if the novels were simply read out rather than just have the dialogue extracted and made into a radio play. The dialogue on its own, without Fleming’s marvellous descriptive skills, leaves the stories bereft of substance. And the dialogue alone can never compare to watching a Bond film in all its visual glory. It is like doing a radio adaptation of just the dialogue of 2001: A Space Odyssey—what would be the point of that?

I like John Standing's portrayal of M. He humanises M, and makes him less of a grump than Bernard Lee’s M. Toby Stephens similarly humanises Bond, but too much in my view. His Bond comes across as a little too “everyman” and cheery. Dalton’s Bond was also human, but his had a nervous edge, which a man who is in constant danger would have.

I understand this. The fact that lots were missing was the fact I did not really like From Russia With Love. For me the best of the plays is Moonraker. If you have not already, you should perhaps try listening to that.

I enjoyed Thunderball on BBC radio, Tom Conti playing a very friendly Largo.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

Joshua wrote:
Barbel wrote:

The most OTT performance in the Radio 4 Bond series IMHO is David Suchet as Dr No!

I agree! His accent was totally absurd! I believe he is the actor who played paro (I don't know the spelling) the detective. I have never seen this but if he was as bad as in Dr No I am glad I never watched it!

He is perfect as Point, I think the best ever. Give it a go!