Left-handedness

BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
Just an idle thought: how many of us here are left-handed?

I'll start with... me.

Comments

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,774MI6 Agent
    Bond fan? Check.
    Scottish? Check.
    Left handed? Checkmate. - We have a pattern lock!!
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Very Sinister indeed. I'm happy to say I'm Normal not like the "Lefties" ;)
    I had a brother who was left handed but it was in the days when you were forced to
    be right handed, so over years he simply became right handed. Left hand tied behind
    back, that sort of thing so he had to learn to write with his right......... but they were
    happy days.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    Bond fan? Check.
    Scottish? Check.
    Left handed? Checkmate. - We have a pattern lock!!

{[] {[] {[]
  • hehadlotsofgutshehadlotsofguts Durham England Posts: 2,107MI6 Agent
    I'm left handed
    Have you ever heard of the Emancipation Proclamation?"

" I don't listen to hip hop!"
    3 so far...
    Pain in the arse, trying to use a tin opener and being able to write properly.

:))

Welcome to my world!
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    I am not left handed but always shot better left than right in the good old days (just felt more natural). Tactically I was always put at the front when going around certain corners so it was useful at times. Then in the early 90’s they issued a right fire only weapons system - b*ggered me for a few years I can tell you. Almost back to tying ones hand behind your back but had to retrain my muscle memory. So glad they eventually gave me a pistol in latter years which I could use in either hand!

My brother in law is a leftie and it was through seeing him struggle with certain things you realise how much of an impact it can have and just how much kit is out there with a right hand bias.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,085MI6 Agent
    I was ambidextrous as a small child but trained myself to be right handed when I learned to write.
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    Another here was caned as a child to try and make me write right handed, didn't work , always wondered if my left-handedness had anything to do with getting my b & d wrong way round?
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent
    This may surprise readers of the political thread, but I'm not a leftie :))
    But I shoot with my left because of my left eye dominance.
    I keep seeing posts on here about people being caned at school for being left handed and being forced to use thier right hand. Why was there so much prejudice against left handed people at that time.

• Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    I keep seeing posts on here about people being caned at school for being left handed and being forced to use thier right hand. Why was there so much prejudice against left handed people at that time.
    My nan was left handed and suffered discipline measures at school and home. When I questioned her she said it was just down to beliefs at the time. Her parents saw it as wrong because she was different to others and school as some sort of defect you could be trained out of to remove it.

Truth was it’s just nature’s way and there is nothing wrong with it in reality. But many suffered due to probably social pressure or belief (at one point my Nan was described as a ‘Devils’ child just for being so at her convent - yes really).

Thank god times have changed.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    Could part of the negative attitudes be because left-handiness might be a problem in the military? Back in the day most men did their national service and nearly everyone used bolt-action rifles. I remember the cocking lever was on the "wrong" side when I fired the AG3 (HK G3) making cocking the rifle slower for me. It was also difficult to find a gas mask with the filter on the right side. When wearing standard gas mask I couldn't put my head next to the stock of the rifle to aim properly when aiming. When perhaps 10% of the men are left-handiness (a guestimation) this could be a real problem.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    what would have been the evolutionary reasons for right-handedness becoming dominant?
    are people all around the world typically right-handed or is it a Euro-western thing?
    was it some obscure cultural reason that has had a long term effect on the gene pool?

obviously the gene for left-handedness is not fatal, as it keeps recurring, yet somehow the right-handers breed more successfully generation after generation.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    At least here in the Australian Defence Force it’s not a problem at all; we have a few LH rifles in all our armouries for those special people. Only differences are the sides of the charging handle and ejection port - small changes but it makes life a lot easier for LH people shooting.
    That's very nice of the ADF, but I bet it wasn't the case a few decades ago when teachers tried to eradicate left-handedness.
    I believe you must be right handed to play polo.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Or a conductor.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
    The word Sinister means left in Latin. ( Dexter = right )
    So fear or mistrust goes back a long time.
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    ...waitaminnit!
    a left-handed bass player, lives in Scotland...
    Barbel is your mailing address the Mull of Kintyre by any chance?
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Not left handed but my sister was ambidextrous and simply trained herself to write with her right hand.

However, if you must know my left hand is reserved for other things.
    What that may be is up to your imagination :v
    a reasonable rate of return
    ...waitaminnit!
    a left-handed bass player, lives in Scotland...
    Barbel is your mailing address the Mull of Kintyre by any chance?

:007) Sshhh...
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent
    I am ambidextrous but the only thing I can't do with my left hand is play tennis. Everything else I can do perfectly well with both hands.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    But has it affected your eyesight ? ;)
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,033MI6 Agent
    Definitely as I wear glasses :))
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    I was ambidextrous as a small child but trained myself to be right handed when I learned to write.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous :)