451

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Gymkata wrote:

Wearing the AVTAK jacket again.  I honestly love this thing.

True to size or did you size up or down?

452

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

canoe2 wrote:

The idea of expensive swimshorts isn't new. Prada has $1000 men's swimwear which sells. But the whole OB line is being sold as being "inspired by Bond". I can see the inspiration in most of the other pieces so if they want to charge a premium, then fine. But the Goldfinger shorts are basically Setters in a new color with gold colored hardware. They don't look anything like Connery's swimsuit. Charging a higher premium for those is excessive imho.

Maybe David can weigh in, but I'm curious what the thinking was here - they seem to have nailed the color, so why not make some effort to match the cut? It's a very curious decision.

453

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Cheverian wrote:
Gymkata wrote:

Wearing the AVTAK jacket again.  I honestly love this thing.

True to size or did you size up or down?

I got size large in everything..
I'm typically a medium, sometimes a large depending on the manufacturer. Mediums from OB are smaller than I like so I always go large.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>TLD>SF>GE>OP>DN>FYEO>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>SP>DAF>LTK>AVTAK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Dalton>Brosnan

454

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

I share the same view of most of the forum on those shorts.

OB is trying to sell at high-end prices, but the reality is, all it has to offer is the Bond connection - despite how loose it seems to have become. The materials, construction, etc quite honestly don’t cut it at that price point

455

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
canoe2 wrote:

The idea of expensive swimshorts isn't new. Prada has $1000 men's swimwear which sells. But the whole OB line is being sold as being "inspired by Bond". I can see the inspiration in most of the other pieces so if they want to charge a premium, then fine. But the Goldfinger shorts are basically Setters in a new color with gold colored hardware. They don't look anything like Connery's swimsuit. Charging a higher premium for those is excessive imho.

Maybe David can weigh in, but I'm curious what the thinking was here - they seem to have nailed the color, so why not make some effort to match the cut? It's a very curious decision.

Agreed, especially since they have an excellent style to use for the Goldfinger trunks, the Basset. I think that with a bit of altering and some extra details, this would have been a good option.
https://www.orlebarbrown.com/dw/image/v2/BBHG_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-orlebar-master-catalog/default/dw70ab7ac9/large/ORLEBAR_BROWN_BASSET_SPORT_STEEL_BLUE_269232_FRONT.jpg?sw=1500&sh=1500&sm=fit
https://www.orlebarbrown.com/dw/image/v2/BBHG_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-orlebar-master-catalog/default/dwb5d43f9c/large/ORLEBAR_BROWN_BASSET_SPORT_STEEL_BLUE_269232_MODEL_FRONT.jpg?sw=1500&sh=1500&sm=fit

Last edited by Peppermill (15th Jun 2019 10:51)

1. Ohmss   2. Frwl   3. Op   4. Tswlm   5. Tld   6. Ge  7. Yolt 8. Lald   9. Cr   10. Ltk   11. Dn   12. Gf   13. Qos   14. Mr   15. Tmwtgg   16. Fyeo   17. Twine   18. Sf   19. Tb   20 Tnd   21. Spectre   22 Daf   23. Avtak   24. Dad

456

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Suit wrote:

Certainly, as it's also ok to have an opinion about this pricing, in this case ridiculous, especially for items that never was in any Bond. The Bond name will be watered down if a company can stamp 007 on any item and call it a Bond item. Keep this up and if we're lucky we're gonna see a toothpaste with 007.

Peppermill wrote:

Everybody is free to pay (or not pay) for the the items he/she wants (or don't want). Since these items are selling pretty well, OB can ask the prices they do because obviously, there is still an audience that is willing to pay the higher prices. OB has always been a brand with high quality items and prices that match that, the markup on these items seem steep but I assume that EON also takes a cut. Or do people believe that EON just hands out licencing deals like this without expecting anything in return?

All in all, the items sell out quickly for the (steep) prices asked. Are we really blaming a company for making money?

(EDIT: sorry, didn't see Welshboy's reply before I posted)

But is it really ridiculous? It would an example of terrible pricing if no one would buy them, but there are scores of people who feel perfectly okay with paying a premium for these items. So selling them for less would be ridiculous from Orlebar Brown's viewpoint. And lets be honest here, we are talking about luxury items where the price paid is always subjective and not always reflective of material, labor and marketing costs. When I see some people responding as if OB are withholding first life needs like water, medicines or basic food to starving people only to make a few extra quid (not you necessarily, but OB has gotten quite some backlash lately), I can only chuckle.

1. Ohmss   2. Frwl   3. Op   4. Tswlm   5. Tld   6. Ge  7. Yolt 8. Lald   9. Cr   10. Ltk   11. Dn   12. Gf   13. Qos   14. Mr   15. Tmwtgg   16. Fyeo   17. Twine   18. Sf   19. Tb   20 Tnd   21. Spectre   22 Daf   23. Avtak   24. Dad

457

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Peppermill wrote:
Suit wrote:

Certainly, as it's also ok to have an opinion about this pricing, in this case ridiculous, especially for items that never was in any Bond. The Bond name will be watered down if a company can stamp 007 on any item and call it a Bond item. Keep this up and if we're lucky we're gonna see a toothpaste with 007.

Peppermill wrote:

Everybody is free to pay (or not pay) for the the items he/she wants (or don't want). Since these items are selling pretty well, OB can ask the prices they do because obviously, there is still an audience that is willing to pay the higher prices. OB has always been a brand with high quality items and prices that match that, the markup on these items seem steep but I assume that EON also takes a cut. Or do people believe that EON just hands out licencing deals like this without expecting anything in return?

All in all, the items sell out quickly for the (steep) prices asked. Are we really blaming a company for making money?

(EDIT: sorry, didn't see Welshboy's reply before I posted)

But is it really ridiculous? It would an example of terrible pricing if no one would buy them, but there are scores of people who feel perfectly okay with paying a premium for these items. So selling them for less would be ridiculous from Orlebar Brown's viewpoint. And lets be honest here, we are talking about luxury items where the price paid is always subjective and not always reflective of material, labor and marketing costs. When I see some people responding as if OB are withholding first life needs like water, medicines or basic food to starving people only to make a few extra quid (not you necessarily, but OB has gotten quite some backlash lately), I can only chuckle.

Good call on the Bassetts, Peppermill!

Those kinds of decisions on the part of OB are what I'm referring to. The Bassetts retail for around $150. Modify them a little to become the "Goldfinger Shorts", charge $200 or $225 and I think they would have had a winner. Something like that design is much more in the "inspired by Bond" spirit of the collection, which is the basis for all of their marketing (and higher prices). Sure, people would have still grumbled about the price. But at least the similarities to the originals would have justified them being part of the collection. Plus, they already have 7 or 8 "Bond" shorts in the Setter/Bulldog style. Why add another pair?

458

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Yeah they would be obvious choice to base the GF model on. 

Maybe they based it on popularity of current models?    More people likely to buy setters then budgies?  ajb007/lol

Then again the demand for the Onsie.......

Instagram - bondclothes007

459

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

welshboy78 wrote:

Yeah they would be obvious choice to base the GF model on. 

Maybe they based it on popularity of current models?    More people likely to buy setters then budgies?  ajb007/lol

Then again the demand for the Onsie.......

Real swimmers wear speedos! I am obviously not a real swimmer  ajb007/shifty

1. Ohmss   2. Frwl   3. Op   4. Tswlm   5. Tld   6. Ge  7. Yolt 8. Lald   9. Cr   10. Ltk   11. Dn   12. Gf   13. Qos   14. Mr   15. Tmwtgg   16. Fyeo   17. Twine   18. Sf   19. Tb   20 Tnd   21. Spectre   22 Daf   23. Avtak   24. Dad

460

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

I hate swimming unless the pool has a pool bar  ajb007/smile

Instagram - bondclothes007

461

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

welshboy78 wrote:

I hate swimming unless the pool has a pool bar  ajb007/smile

I prefer swim-up blackjack, but I can relate to the overall sentiment ajb007/lol

1. Ohmss   2. Frwl   3. Op   4. Tswlm   5. Tld   6. Ge  7. Yolt 8. Lald   9. Cr   10. Ltk   11. Dn   12. Gf   13. Qos   14. Mr   15. Tmwtgg   16. Fyeo   17. Twine   18. Sf   19. Tb   20 Tnd   21. Spectre   22 Daf   23. Avtak   24. Dad

462

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Does anyone have sizing advice on the poster swim shorts? Do they fit “tight”? Did anyone have to size up?

I’m looking at Moonraker✌️

This is where we leave you Mr. Bond. (Pilot, Apollo Airlines)

463

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Polar Bear 0007 wrote:

Does anyone have sizing advice on the poster swim shorts? Do they fit “tight”? Did anyone have to size up?

I’m looking at Moonraker✌️

I take my usual size.  I did think I might be able to size down but no chance and sent a pair back  ajb007/biggrin

Instagram - bondclothes007

464

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

welshboy78 wrote:
Polar Bear 0007 wrote:

Does anyone have sizing advice on the poster swim shorts? Do they fit “tight”? Did anyone have to size up?

I’m looking at Moonraker✌️

I take my usual size.  I did think I might be able to size down but no chance and sent a pair back  ajb007/biggrin

Same here, they fit true to size (at least the Springers and Setters do, I except the Bulldogs are no different). They might be a bit snug when dry but they do loosen a bit when wet. So that snugness is needed to not have your Thunderballs and Moonraker showing after you dive in the pool.

1. Ohmss   2. Frwl   3. Op   4. Tswlm   5. Tld   6. Ge  7. Yolt 8. Lald   9. Cr   10. Ltk   11. Dn   12. Gf   13. Qos   14. Mr   15. Tmwtgg   16. Fyeo   17. Twine   18. Sf   19. Tb   20 Tnd   21. Spectre   22 Daf   23. Avtak   24. Dad

465

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

What is luxury?


Peppermill wrote:
Suit wrote:

Certainly, as it's also ok to have an opinion about this pricing, in this case ridiculous, especially for items that never was in any Bond. The Bond name will be watered down if a company can stamp 007 on any item and call it a Bond item. Keep this up and if we're lucky we're gonna see a toothpaste with 007.

Peppermill wrote:

Everybody is free to pay (or not pay) for the the items he/she wants (or don't want). Since these items are selling pretty well, OB can ask the prices they do because obviously, there is still an audience that is willing to pay the higher prices. OB has always been a brand with high quality items and prices that match that, the markup on these items seem steep but I assume that EON also takes a cut. Or do people believe that EON just hands out licencing deals like this without expecting anything in return?

All in all, the items sell out quickly for the (steep) prices asked. Are we really blaming a company for making money?

(EDIT: sorry, didn't see Welshboy's reply before I posted)

But is it really ridiculous? It would an example of terrible pricing if no one would buy them, but there are scores of people who feel perfectly okay with paying a premium for these items. So selling them for less would be ridiculous from Orlebar Brown's viewpoint. And lets be honest here, we are talking about luxury items where the price paid is always subjective and not always reflective of material, labor and marketing costs. When I see some people responding as if OB are withholding first life needs like water, medicines or basic food to starving people only to make a few extra quid (not you necessarily, but OB has gotten quite some backlash lately), I can only chuckle.

466

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Don't forget that Orlebar Brown was acquired by Chanel last year. That's about as luxury a label as there is.

467

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

They sell $95 t-shirts. Once you've bought into that tier, it's all kind of splitting hairs after that  ajb007/lol

468

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

For those who've bought items from the OB 007 line what are your personal favorites? The ones you'd recommend to a friend.

469

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Cheverian wrote:

For those who've bought items from the OB 007 line what are your personal favorites? The ones you'd recommend to a friend.

The only item I sprung for is the DAF shirt, and it did not disappoint. It felt to me like the one piece in the collection I wouldn’t find anywhere else. FWIW, it’s also one of the most faithful recreations in the collection.

470

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Yeah I would say DAF and TB shirt are prob the most faithful recreations

Instagram - bondclothes007

471

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

I would add to that the Bond “dress” shirt. It is slowly becoming my favorite since it’s so versatile. It can be worn with just about anything. Rolling up the sleeves makes it very casual.

I also second the DAF and the TB shirts.

472

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Cheverian wrote:

For those who've bought items from the OB 007 line what are your personal favorites? The ones you'd recommend to a friend.

The TB long sleeve polo and the AVTAK jacket are the grand slams for me.  Love 'em both.
The DAF shirt and the TB camp shirt are probably in my second tier.  I like the OHMSS white linen shirt but it seems really quite specific in terms of usage, so that's probably the least utilitarian option of the articles which I bought.

I finally wore the DN toweling polo yesterday out and about.  It's a pretty comfortable shirt and my wife liked it (per her, it 'brought out the blue in my eyes').  I might get more use out of it than I thought.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>TLD>SF>GE>OP>DN>FYEO>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>SP>DAF>LTK>AVTAK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Dalton>Brosnan

473

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Cheverian wrote:

For those who've bought items from the OB 007 line what are your personal favorites? The ones you'd recommend to a friend.

I really like the colour and the cut of the TB Carmine Camp Shirt. Wore it on holiday last week and it felt and looked great.

The TB long sleeved polo feels amazing when you put it on. Not worn it out yet, almost feels too good to wear unless it’s a special occasion.

Just ordered the OHMSS dress shirt. I think that has the potential to be worn quite casually in the summer. Will let you know.

Yes. Considerably.

474

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Suit wrote:

The Swedish clothing store Gabucci carry the 007 collection as well.

https://gabucci.se/sv/search/bysearchdefinition/176

Thank you!

This is where we leave you Mr. Bond. (Pilot, Apollo Airlines)

475

Re: Brown, Orlebar Brown

Polar Bear 0007 wrote:
Suit wrote:

The Swedish clothing store Gabucci carry the 007 collection as well.

https://gabucci.se/sv/search/bysearchdefinition/176

Thank you!

Just ordered TB polo through it. Item shipped within an hour of ordering. Free DHL express.

Even better I paid $340 instead of $495+ tax from OB’s US site. While there “might” still be custom fees, it is still a much better option.

Thanks for whoever posted this link  ajb007/smile