Holiday and travel tips

always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
Hi guys , I posted today on random chat (16,474) a possible new thread on holidays and travel . We have a fair few of well traveled members here in all parts of the globe , and my idea was that we could collectively share our tips/knowledge on hotels to stay , or avoid . Some members might even be planning to get married abroad etc so let's use our massed knowledge to help each other . Many thanks to Barbel for authorising the use of this new thread , fire away guys
By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?

Comments

• Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited June 2018
    OK I will play, here goes

1) I always travel in a suit for business trips (even long haul) you nearly always get invited to fastrack through security checks (the by invite only lane) and invited into the business lounge even if travelling economy.
    2) Also if you happen to slip under the curtain and head up front to Upper Class you look like you should be there
    3) At LHR and LGW If you buy a watch duty free you can wear it out and collect the box from lost property on your return to save on luggage space.
    4) I am a member of Priority Pass so can use quiet a few lounges globally, usually the cost I pay is less than a full English in a airport restaurant and I got more facilities for free use.
    5) If you fly economy but want more seats select seat at the back airlines generally fill front to rear also avoid flying Friday or Sunday always busy flights. Also they generally board from back to front so you get your seat first.
    6) Read the signs before security and follow them, the staff get the arse if you play dumb and don’t follow the rules (especially liquids).
    7) You can carry a bottle with more than 100ml so long as it is bought in duty free and bag sealed.
    8) Be nice to the steward (ess) most get bonus points if someone tells their company what a great job they did, offer to help and they really look after you!
    9) No farting it causes offence, use the toilet that’s what it is there for.
    10) Get a decent set of headphones for long haul helps to block out noise and sleep (I go decent ear plug type rather than the headphones that make you look like a Darlek!)
    11) Don’t be afraid of electronic boarding passes (but do make sure your phone is charged)
    12) Arrive early you won’t get fast tracked if you are late it’s your fault!
    13) Don’t be an arse, put your seat upright at meal times or the dude behind gets to eat their meal off their lap.
    14) Don’t buy duty free just because it cheap, would you have paid full price for it otherwise (if so it’s a bargain if not it’s not).
    15) Do join the frequent flier programmes I thought they were a waste of time but have proven handy (upgrades etc). If upgrades are available members of frequent fliers get first dibs.
    16) If you look fit and healthy don’t pay for extra leg room seat by the door, they might offer it to you anyway.
    17) If you want to eat first suck it up and pre book veggie meal.
    18) Always put a label on and in your luggage for when it goes on it’s own travels - you get it back quicker (generally)
    19) If you have a weak bladder go isle seat not window!
    20) Wear layers so you can strip them off if you get too hot or not if not, an item of warm clothing also never hurts. Travel in shoes or trainers not flip flops they are sod all use if you get into trouble.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    One of my travel tips is when you change up all your lovely Stirling into dollars , ask for $1.00 bills about 10 is enough , so you always have a handful of notes to give out as tips , rather looking like a cheapskate and saying to the bell boy or door man oh sorry I have no money on me .remember the door man is you best pal if you need a cab or a limo
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?