Topic: If you could visit any Bond-related place, where would you go?

Let's imagine you could go to any Bond-related place, all expenses paid, for one week. It has to be a real place, so no space station behind the moon. It also has to be as it is in real life, so Octopussy's Island is probably not full of beautiful women. The only departure from reality is that there won't be too many tourists, making places like James Bond Island more liveable.
Where would you go?

I'm trying to decide between Goldeneye in Jamaica or Venice, Italy.
OK, I decide people can pick up to three places.

Re: If you could visit any Bond-related place, where would you go?

I'd love to go to Piz Gloria - I've been fortunate enough to go to many Bond- related places but Piz Gloria is not one of them.

Btw Venice is beautiful  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

"How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."

I need some place more exotic than Piz Gloria myself.

We stayed at Breezes super cub in the Bahamas (Nassau) years ago and they was filming CR whilst we was there. Unfortunately I wasn't the massive Bond fan then .So I'd love to go back and re trace all my steps . We saw / went to all the Bond locations even for Thunderball with out knowing it , I did wonder at the time why people where taking sneaky photos of me

By the way, did I tell you,  I was       "Mad"?

Lucky you  ajb007/smile

1) Goldeneye

2) (If I'm allowed this, cos it's a bit of a cheat and possibly doesn't exist as such anymore)  The Orient Express from Istanbul to Paris

3) The Ama village, including a walk up the volcano

That's my third choice: the Orient Express!
Thanks  ajb007/smile

Sadly that volcano  has erupted a few times recently, so
Could be dangerous.  Although  I think Number24's  middle
Name is Danger.  ajb007/wink

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

(sits down, hoping to find something clever to say)

Charmed & Dangerous wrote:

I'd love to go to Piz Gloria - I've been fortunate enough to go to many Bond- related places but Piz Gloria is not one of them.

Btw Venice is beautiful  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini

Piz Gloria for me.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Probably Solden, Altaussee and Piz Gloria in winter, Venice and Rome in Spring/Summer and I’ve always wanted to travel around Morocco and Egypt in whatever season. Also, if visiting a Bond prop warehouse is on the cards that would be number one—that would be an awesome experience.

the ruins of the Great House at Beau Desert, Jamaica, where Honeychile Rider lived alone with all her animal friends. but only if she's home and isn't going to set her black widow spider on me.

Does that house exist i real life?

caractacus potts wrote:

the ruins of the Great House at Beau Desert, Jamaica, where Honeychile Rider lived alone with all her animal friends. but only if she's home and isn't going to set her black widow spider on me.

Are you talking about the great house at Rose hall at Mo bay,it's now part of Hilton , it's called the Rose Hall Hilton ,apparently it was used to house the film crew when they filmed  Bond out there ,
it has one of the Carribeans best golf courses .Its a great place to stay , beach is a bit crap but the pools make up for it ,great place to use as a base for Dunns River falls (Dr No) and the rest of Bond sites ,

Number24 wrote:

Does that house exist i real life?

probably not, I was cheating, 24. I gather you mean film locations we can really visit, not works of imagination.

I was just skimming through Dr. No after reading that Goldeneye book.
The house was inspired by a number of similar abandoned mansions that really were in a state of decay when Fleming moved to Jamaica, and the legends, superstition and gossip that surrounded those ruins.

But I was just thinking reading the long passages where Honeychile explains her origin story, that it is the hottest buildup to the expected Bond-gets-the-girl ending in all of Fleming's books. She keeps going on about all the weird wildlife she surrounds herself with, she even says as a child she would walk around with snakes on her shoulders scaring away the superstitious plantation workers, and Bond has to keep smacking himself "not now, dammit, save the world first, then get the girl!".

Fleming was really indulging in a lot of his personal fantasies about his adopted home when he wrote that character. Therefor that room beneath the ruins of the Great House, fictional as it may be, is arguably the ultimate place-to-be in the whole Bond fantasy.

to answer the question properly:

one from the Connery era - the sewer beneath Instanbul, assuming that was a real location.
I don't want to spend a week in the sewer, understand, theres a lot of nice beaches and hotels a normal person would pick first, but I do get excited by municipal infrastructure projects and that one's a beaut!

one from the early Moore era - Scaramanga's island and the surrounding group, and that would be a genuinely nice holiday

there's not really anything from the John Glenn-era or the Brosnan-era that stands out, so...

one from the Craig era! that abandoned island where Sylva had his evil headquarters.
They shoulda spent the last hour of the film exploring that place instead of returning to boring old London. That one was real wasn't it?

The Basilica Cistern is very much real, but I would't live there for a week.

For a week?  I’d go to Venice!  With some thorough research I’d retrace the steps of Bond of course in FRWL, MR and CR...some would be easy, some hard and some impossible, like Bond’s hotel and the sinking villa in CR; what would be fun is retracing movie scenes through the canals used as well.  Then I’d retrace the literary Bond’s steps in Risico in terms of places he mentioned visiting to maintain his cover like Harry’s Bar and the Quadri (where I once ate expensive pizza, al fresco).  You might also take a jog on the same beach on the Lido where Bond jogged to evade Colombo’s men.  As a bonus, you can visit the Campo San Barnaba where Indy Jones emerged from the catacombs (Last Crusade), where Katherine Hepburn fell into a canal in “Summertime” and where also her love interest played by Rossano Brazzi, had his shop.

"...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....

caractacus potts wrote:

one from the Craig era! that abandoned island where Sylva had his evil headquarters.
They shoulda spent the last hour of the film exploring that place instead of returning to boring old London. That one was real wasn't it?

It certainly is! It’s called Hashima Island:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island

Cortina d’Ampezzo (Italy) - For Your Eyes Only

Paradise Island (The Bahamas) - Thunderball

Ocho Rios, St. Ann, (Jamaica) - Dr. No

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". -  Homer J Simpson

Great poser Number 24! And perhaps a little difficult to differentiate between wanting to visit the place because of its Bond screen time and standing in the footsteps or to experience the general location culturally and in James Bond lifestyle mode for a week, all expenses paid! ajb007/biggrin

Although I've been fortunate enough to visit a few of my bucket list locations I still have plenty to get through! So I would say;

1) Nassau
2) Orient Express
3) Pyramids

Oh and just in case my Fairy Godmother is reading this;
4) Cala di Volpe
5) Rio
6) Kirishima
7) Hong Kong
I could go on.. ajb007/biggrin

"Any of the opposition around..?"

I was fortunate enough to visit Venice, Siena and Rome last summer. All are wonderful, though Venice is particularly amazing. Would love to get to Talamone, Italy, where Mathis is living when Bond comes calling in QOS.
Also very interested in seeing Istanbul.

Great topic!

I've always had a hankering  to go to Rio. Sir.

“I didn’t lose a friend, I just realised I never had one.”

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

Thunderpussy wrote:

I've always had a hankering  to go to Rio. Sir.

Wasn't that a Mike Nesmith song