Is it time for a new black James Bond villain?

JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
Hello my friends. I wonder if any one thinks that a James Bond film villain should be a black man or woman? I think the dictator of a African country with all his army police and secret service would make a hard (formidable?) opponent for James Bond.

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,057Chief of Staff
    There's no reason why the villain (or henchman/woman) of a Bond movie shouldn't be a black man or woman.

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

aa_old_man_4.jpg

Just as there's no reason why the female lead shouldn't be, either:

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

Or his best pal:

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

aa_old_man_4.jpg

Or MI6 staff:

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

Or supporting characters be they good guys:

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

aa_old_man_4.jpg

Or bad:

aa_old_man_4.jpg

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

... and only the first pic comes from LALD, the most racially-sensitive James Bond film (or book, for that matter) since it would be ludicrous to not mention Yaphet Kotto's superb performance as Mr Big (and/or Dr Kananga) in this context. I could have used pics of other actors from that film, but preferred to point out characters from as many films as reasonable (yes, there are more).

I've said this before but I'll say it again. James Bond is an equal opportunity assassin- he's killed people of all shades of skin colour and it's because they deserve it. He's also an equal opportunity lover- he has ...er... romanced (yes, that'll cover it) ladies whether they be black, white or whatever- all they have to be is drop dead gorgeous (as of course Halle Berry, Naomie Harris, etc undoubtedly are).

Ian Fleming wrote his stories in a different time, when it would not be possible for a black person to be in the position of a Felix Leiter, or a Miss Moneypenny (though he did create the wonderful Quarrel who is totally believable in his context and one of my favourite characters). Those days are thankfully gone, and the films reflect this.

So, long story short: absolutely a black villain but not because he's* black but because they're right for the part and the story.

* or she's.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    There's no reason why the villain (or henchman/woman) of a Bond movie shouldn't be a black man or woman.

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

aa_old_man_4.jpg

Just as there's no reason why the female lead shouldn't be, either:

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

Or his best pal:

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

aa_old_man_4.jpg

Or MI6 staff:

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

Or supporting characters be they good guys:

AA_OLD_MAN_3.jpg

aa_old_man_4.jpg

Or bad:

aa_old_man_4.jpg

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

... and only the first pic comes from LALD, the most racially-sensitive James Bond film (or book, for that matter) since it would be ludicrous to not mention Yaphet Kotto's superb performance as Mr Big (and/or Dr Kananga) in this context. I could have used pics of other actors from that film, but preferred to point out characters from as many films as reasonable (yes, there are more).

I've said this before but I'll say it again. James Bond is an equal opportunity assassin- he's killed people of all shades of skin colour and it's because they deserve it. He's also an equal opportunity lover- he has ...er... romanced (yes, that'll cover it) ladies whether they be black, white or whatever- all they have to be is drop dead gorgeous (as of course Halle Berry, Naomie Harris, etc undoubtedly are).

Ian Fleming wrote his stories in a different time, when it would not be possible for a black person to be in the position of a Felix Leiter, or a Miss Moneypenny (though he did create the wonderful Quarrel who is totally believable in his context and one of my favourite characters). Those days are thankfully gone, and the films reflect this.

So, long story short: absolutely a black villain but not because he's* black but because they're right for the part and the story.

* or she's.
    Absolutely agree my friend, the best person should be chosen for the job regardless of their skin color. {[]
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,704MI6 Agent
    I don't see why not. I belive Blofeld was planned to be an African warlord in early drafts of SPECTRE.
  • __M____M__ Posts: 29MI6 Agent

Is race that important?

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    edited April 2021

Important enough to dig up a three year-old thread on the matter?