If both Brosnan and Dalton couldn't do TLD, who would/should do it?

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
We know new episodes of Remington Steele prevented Pierce Brosnan from doing TLD. Then "Brenda Starr" was delayed, making Timothy Dalton available. What if Dalton couldn't do TLD?
Who do you think EON would have cast?
Who would you have cast?

Sean Bean, Sam Neil, James Brolin, Liam Neeson and Ian Oglivy were among possible candidates in the 1980's. Perhaps you have other candidates?

Personally I would have liked it if Liam Neeson as James Bond.

Comments

• Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    If both Brosnan and Dalton couldn't do it, I think EON would have given up their search and Moore would have done it.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,670MI6 Agent
    Lewis Collins might have been sent for...
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    If both Brosnan and Dalton couldn't do it, I think EON would have given up their search and Moore would have done it.

Pretty much what I think as well, with the humorous elements of the scripts enhanced to Roger's talents. Also,he looked great in the HAPPY ANNIVERSARY 007 special, better than he appeared in AVTAK.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,126MI6 Agent
    Simon MacCorkindale
    Michael Praed
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Mel Gibson for a one-off.

Failing that, Sean Connery. Also for a one-off.

Think about it: riding high thanks to Indiana Jones etc... okay actually that was later. Back with a better hairpiece! And he gets to see out with a Cold War era Bond. I suppose the whole cello romance would have to be chaste, but then again it seems a bit like that with Dalton anyway. It might be like The Russia House in that respect.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,764MI6 Agent
    Simon MacCorkindale
    Michael Praed

Looking back at their careers they needed Bond far more than Bond needed them.
    With Gibson and Connery it was the other way round.
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    I agree with Lewis Collins. But, and i know he is american, i would choose Dirk Benedict, fresh from The A-Team.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Daniel Day Lewis. What a Bond he would have been...
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • WadsyWadsy Auckland, New ZealandPosts: 410MI6 Agent
    Roger Moore, until the point he absolutely could not do it anymore. If even then they couldn't find someone, the series would have gone on hiatus.
    1. FYEO 2. OHMSS 3. LTK 4. FRWL 5. TLD 6. TSWLM 7. GF 8. AVTAK 9. MR 10. DN 11. SF 12. LALD 13. TB 14. OP 15. CR 16. GE 17. YOLT 18. TMWTGG 19. SP 20. TND 21. TWINE 22. QOS 23. NTTD 24. DAF 25. DAD 26. NSNA 27. CR '67

1. Dalton 2. Moore 3. Connery 4. Craig 5. Lazenby 6. Brosnan
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,229MI6 Agent
    edited October 2018
    Michael Praed would be my first choice if Timothy Dalton or Pierce Brosnan was not available to star in The Living Daylights. Having seen him in Robin Of Sherwood, I know that he can handle the action scenes and the romance. I would not mind Sean Bean either, sine he can play heroic characters equally as well as he can play villains.
  • DutchJamesBondFanDutchJamesBondFan the NetherlandsPosts: 414MI6 Agent
    I know Sean Bean was tested for Bond as well, he could have been a great Bond. Bean is a magnificent actor, he would be believable as well.

EDIT: Just saw you mentioned him in your first post, oops :#
    Don't confuse me with the other DutchBondFan, but be sure to follow his YouTube account. You can read my articles on James Bond Nederland: www.jamesbond.nl/author/gosse/
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    I know Sean Bean was tested for Bond as well, he could have been a great Bond. Bean is a magnificent actor, he would be believable as well.

EDIT: Just saw you mentioned him in your first post, oops :#

and the sheffield accent would have been acceptable.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill