Re: Daniel Craig's Stuntwork Hangups.

HowardB wrote:

The days of a stuntman running around in a tux and Roger wig wouldn't cut it anymore. It's all about credibility and if there is illusion involved it's got to be perfect and believable. I'm sure Connery did his fair share, but there are times in those classic films that you can tell it's a stunt double. It helped that Connery had a stunt double that resembled him a bit.

I always thought Bob Simmons wasn't a terribly convincing double. He had a bit of a stoop and looked a lot shorter and stockier than Connery. He had a bit of an odd run too.

emtiem wrote:
HowardB wrote:

The days of a stuntman running around in a tux and Roger wig wouldn't cut it anymore. It's all about credibility and if there is illusion involved it's got to be perfect and believable. I'm sure Connery did his fair share, but there are times in those classic films that you can tell it's a stunt double. It helped that Connery had a stunt double that resembled him a bit.

I always thought Bob Simmons wasn't a terribly convincing double. He had a bit of a stoop and looked a lot shorter and stockier than Connery. He had a bit of an odd run too.

Good enough for the 60's ajb007/smile . Pierce's stunt doubles had a pretty good physical resemblance (especially body type) and DC's (especially the guy who did the cycle stuff in the SF) PTS look pretty close also.

I am sure that Bond 25 will have some great stunt work in it. As for Daniel Craig's participation, I am sure that he will be able to do what he wants to. As far as I understand, he is good health at the moment and as HowardB pointed out he has some great doubles that look like him to handle the more riskier jobs.

The only reason this appears to even be a topic is because of all the hype MI: Fallout got with Cruise doing all of his stunt work. At this point in his career, Cruise doing his own stunts has become the measure of his stardom (which is kind of a shame because IMO he has actually had some very good performances over his career). IMO, it's unfair to judge Daniel Craig by what Cruise does. Craig has done more than his share of stunts in the Bond films and has paid a physical price for it also.

Last edited by HowardB (11th Sep 2018 17:15)

HowardB wrote:
emtiem wrote:
HowardB wrote:

Good enough for the 60's ajb007/smile . Pierce's stunt doubles had a pretty good physical resemblance (especially body type) and DC's (especially the guy who did the cycle stuff in the SF) PTS look pretty close also.

I always thought that the key thing they rarely got right with Pierce's doubles was to get the hairline the same. I always thought just that detail would help so much in long shot.
With DC's they've started putting rubber masks on the stuntmen with replicas of his face. It's terrifying! ajb007/smile

Looks like Mickey Rourke here ajb007/smile

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/03/29/09/2716E92D00000578-3016616-image-a-18_1427617905143.jpg

Very few movie stars have been willing, allowed  and able to do crazy stunts comparable to Tom Cruise. In fact I can only think of Buster Keaton and Jackie Chan. It's a rare thing and not to be expected.

http://images.mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/keaton-house_5.jpg?resize=1100x740

Very few movie stars have been willing, allowed  and able to do crazy stunts comparable to Tom Cruise. In fact I can only think of Buster Keaton and Jackie Chan. It's a rare thing and not to be expected.

Sean Connery was walking on the top of a moving train in The Great Train Robbery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV36CHsDZ_c

James Coburn was hanging on the side of a helicopter in Sky Riders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKYdrzwcD8M

Last edited by bonded123 (18th Sep 2018 10:56)

Yes, there are many examples of actors doing a few stunts themselves. Cruise. Keaton and Chan are in a different league. They routinely did/do death-defying stunts in many movies. When Buster Keaton did the stunt with the falling wall half the crew left the set because they didn't want to watch, even though Keaton's movies had lots of stunts and Keaton did them all.

https://media.giphy.com/media/nmZUC2zXCCVaw/giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited by Number24 (18th Sep 2018 11:24)

bonded123 wrote:

Sean Connery was walking on the top of a moving train in The Great Train Robbery.

And Harrison Ford got dragged under a lorry in rotla, did all his own horse stunts and hung off a helicopter in clear and present danger.
DC also went on top of the train in sf pts.
Burt Lancaster reportedly did his own stunts, I believe he was a trained trapeze artist, though some stunts were put into doubt by a stunt man. But as number 24 says, it's exceptional for main stars.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Chriscoop wrote:

And Harrison Ford got dragged under a lorry in rotla, did all his own horse stunts

Well not really: he got dragged behind the lorry for a bit, but not under it. And most of the horse stuff was usually Vic Armstrong. Vic Armstrong even did a lot of the acting in Temple of Doom because Ford couldn't be there!

bonded123 wrote:

Those are pretty insane. I'm still really surprised Connery did that: that's not safe at all.

emtiem wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

And Harrison Ford got dragged under a lorry in rotla, did all his own horse stunts

Well not really: he got dragged behind the lorry for a bit, but not under it. And most of the horse stuff was usually Vic Armstrong. Vic Armstrong even did a lot of the acting in Temple of Doom because Ford couldn't be there!

Under, behind, he still got dragged along a trench of sand. As for the horses, I may be wrong about him doing all the stunts but Harrison is well known as a very competent rider, I've somewhere that during filming the last crusade he was happier sat on the horse than in a chair.

I would be disapointed if the next Bond actor didn't do any of his own stunts, but I would never expect any action star to go as far as the three actors I mentioned.

Here are some of the wildest stunts Jackie Chan has done. The fall from the clock and the falling wall are tributes to Buster Keaton:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mi … ORM=VRDGAR

I think Lassie and Run Tin Tin did their own stunts too ajb007/wink

"Let his death be a particularly unpleasant and humiliating one."

Chriscoop wrote:
emtiem wrote:
Chriscoop wrote:

Under, behind, he still got dragged along a trench of sand.

Sure but, y'know: that's not really all that difficult or dangerous; I doubt they were even going much more than ten miles an hour! ajb007/smile
He's not going to fall anywhere!

Last edited by emtiem (18th Sep 2018 11:53)

So what's the most dangerous/impressive stunt a Bond actor has done in a Bond film?

Without thinking it through thoroughly I might guess Tim on top of the tanker truck...?

Roger, getting it on with Grace Jones ?  ajb007/wink

Thunderpussy wrote:

Roger, getting it on with Grace Jones ?  ajb007/wink

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

emtiem wrote:

So what's the most dangerous/impressive stunt a Bond actor has done in a Bond film?

Without thinking it through thoroughly I might guess Tim on top of the tanker truck...?

Must be DC, either on top of the train or jumping onto the moving bus in qos perhaps?

Thunderpussy wrote:

I think Lassie and Run Tin Tin did their own stunts too ajb007/wink

What I want to know TP is... Do you do all your own joke work on this forum, or do you ever get a double in?... After all, some of them are pretty risque  ajb007/tongue

I like to think I'm cheeky but never blue,  I do use a comedy
Double. A certain  Scottish MOD.  ajb007/wink  but I can say no more.

Chriscoop wrote:
emtiem wrote:

Must be DC, either on top of the train or jumping onto the moving bus in qos perhaps?

Yeah I was thinking that the roof chase in QoS is amongst the better stuff a Bond has done: I still love that jump he does where he lets off a shot in mid-air! ajb007/smile

I think Dalton and Craig identified  the physicality of playing
Bond, more than some others. Which I think helps in their
Portrayal of 007. He is after all a man of action, and I agree
With the roof chase in QOS is  excellent.  ajb007/martini

I don't think DC has 'hang ups' re stunts, he has committed himself totally within the boundaries of what is sane.

Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.

Agreed. And I’m sure he’ll do the same once again. But I also would prefer (1) less action and more intrigue, and (2) more use of a stuntman if necessary so that DC stays healthy. I think his performance in Spectre suffered as a result of his injuries.