Re: Mission: Impossible Pressure on B25

Of course Tom Cruise is going to look significantly older now: his first Mission: Impossible was 23 years ago! Time just shoots by. Daniel Craig never looked very boyish, he looked rugged in 2001's Tomb Raider.

Both actors do look fitter and less wizened than the late Roger Moore started to look by Octopussy or A View To A Kill.

Last edited by Colonel Shatner (21st Feb 2019 22:34)

'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'

Roger always looked "fit" but more like walking 18 holes on a golf course and a few push ups fit.

Yeah, he was like a Sunday jogger and Monday swim dude. Brosnan could get pretty pudgy for a movie star, but looked OK in Die Another Day. Tom Cruise, despite the cosmetic voodoo, is really into extreme sports.

'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'

No question, Cruise is a workout guy and of course an adrenaline junkie. Pierce was a naturally thin/wiry guy who hit the weights and bulked up for TND and then got a little bit of a middle age pot belly later on but still looked ok in DAD and has maintained his movie star looks even as an older man like Carey Grant.  Craig, prior to bulking up for CR appeared to be another lean and wiry albeit more muscular than Pierce type. His less bulked up look in QOS and SF IMO was perfect for his version of the contemporary Bond IMO. At 50, I doubt Craig is the fitness fanatic that Cruise is and has gone back and forth between looking fit and pudgy since SP. A perfect example is at the 2018 BAFTAS where Craig's face looked notoriously like the Pillsbury Dough Boy while a couple of months later at the Opportunity Network Foundation Auction he looked like he just stepped off the set of SPECTRE. Hopefully, Craig will be able to get it together one more time for Bond 25 (the two month delay won't hurt either).

It's not really a weight issue for me - though I don't want him too muscular. It's more his age catching up with him. I can't look at him and think, "That's Bond", like i did in QoS.

My Top 10 Bonds: Octopussy, Goldeneye, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies, Licence to Kill, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, The Spy Who Loved Me, Goldfinger and Moonraker.

I can't look at him and think "That's Bond", period.

ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol
Why don‘t you tell us all how you really feel, Barbel ajb007/lol  ajb007/lol

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.
-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------
FIRST TO DISCOVER substantial evidence that Chew Mee is in fact not totally nude in the TMWTGG pool scenes!

Barbel wrote:

Come on Barbel, QoS is about as Bond as you can get!  ajb007/wink

It was either that.....or the priesthood

As much as parralels between MI and Bond will always be drawn, to me at least they are poles apart, I enjoy all the mi films, but as the series has progressed they've turned into more pure actioneers than spy films, mi-1 was probably the most Bond like. Ethan Hunt is an all American hero, and with the help of countless rubber masks (which they themselves now poke a bit of fun at) he manages a bit of espionage. The most paralleled part is Hunts wardrobe.
Bond should continue to steer its own course, the huge action set pieces aren't as necessary these days (blofelds exploding lair in SP). A good story, some thrills a slick script and a good Bondian soundtrack is surely all we need. DC running along a train roof himself is very good, but I doubt he'd ever hang off a plane or scale a skyscraper, and neither should he,  Cruise does it so well he should be left to it.

It was either that.....or the priesthood

Barbel wrote:

ajb007/lol  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/martini  ajb007/cheers  ajb007/cheers

Barbel wrote:

ajb007/lol

"Blood & Ashes"...AVAILABLE on Amazon.co.uk: Get 'Jaded': Blood & Ashes: The Debut Oscar Jade Thriller
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Barbel wrote:

Same here. I can only think of him as Bond if I look at Woody Allen.

Matt S wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Same here. I can only think of him as Bond if I look at Woody Allen.

I don't think of him as Bond either. He has a face like a Thunderbirds puppet. My point, though, is that I have an even tougher time thinking of him as Bond now.

My Top 10 Bonds: Octopussy, Goldeneye, From Russia With Love, Tomorrow Never Dies, Licence to Kill, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights, The Spy Who Loved Me, Goldfinger and Moonraker.

DavidJones wrote:

It's not really a weight issue for me - though I don't want him too muscular. It's more his age catching up with him. I can't look at him and think, "That's Bond", like i did in QoS.

I think he’s still looking like Bond (this is from a video so won’t be heavily retouched)
https://www.watchonista.com/sites/default/files/watchographer/1/news/474020/front/omega_daniel_craig.jpg

Chriscoop wrote:
Barbel wrote:

Come on Barbel, QoS is about as Bond as you can get!  ajb007/wink

...minus a decent villain and henchman of course. And sensible editing. And a bearable main song. And... but this is for a different thread.

He could use some hair dye

Ah yes: I forgot I was on AJB for a moment there ajb007/wink