Morocco Brunello Cucinelli outfit - Practicality

Hi all. I am in the process of acquiring the final piece (Brown blazer) to my Morocco Brunello Cucinelli outfit. However it had occurred to me that perhaps I'm in it for the thrill of the hunt for this set, and not so much for the outfit itself. The reason I feel this way is that I am scratching my head in trying to imagine a scenario where an outfit like thus would be a viable and practical option.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is one of Bond's great outfit, and it fits the scenario rather well. However unless I'm heading to a desert rendevous, or perhaps a rather unusal wedding or "semi-formal" outing, it may be a stretch for me to pull this off. Of course everyone's style and taste is different, so their mileage with this particular outfit will differ. I see David Z absolutely rocking it for the Omega event he attended. But for me the culprit is the desert/boondocker boots, which ironically in and of itself, the most practical piece in the whole outfit, but the odd item out for a blazer and tie semi-formal look.

Of course I can mix-and-match the items and still make great use of them. And I will be keeping my eye posted for an appropriate oppotunity to give this complete outfit a fair go. So after all the whaffling my question is: For those who owns this outfit or iteration of it, how do you guys feel about wearing it, and did you guys find much opportunities to wear it appropriately? Would love to hear some stories and reaction to it. Cheers guys!

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    It’s a very casual outfit. You can pretty much wear it doing most things apart from more formal occasions. Like the GF outfit, it’s one of the most practical. I don’t understand your concern.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Those hefty boots always look a bit inappropriate for what’s otherwise an elegant outfit, IMHO. A smarter pair of brown Ryder-type chukka boots, like Connery’s in Goldfinger, would look miles better, again, just my opinion.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Just change the footwear if thats your concern.

I never wear the “full” outfit regardless
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I've worn it to work a few times but I almost always roll the pants down so the boots just look like suede shoes. Especially in the agency world this outfit blends right in....but between lengthening the tie (can't do mine that short) and making the boots look like shoes, as others have said I would make some adjustments. Notice the below pic with tie "human" tie length....and the Omega pic below that has the pants rolled WAY too much...all times after that they just looked like shoes under the pants for the most part:

morocco-brunello.jpg

omega-event.jpg
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,446MI6 Agent
    I agree about swapping out the boots. I picked up a pair of tan suede bucks that are an exact color match for the Sahara Kentons. I’m not tramping through the Moroccan desert.
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I've worn it to work a few times but I almost always roll the pants down so the boots just look like suede shoes. Especially in the agency world this outfit blends right in....but between lengthening the tie (can't do mine that short) and making the boots look like shoes, as others have said I would make some adjustments. Notice the below pic with tie "human" tie length....and the Omega pic below that has the pants rolled WAY too much...all times after that they just looked like shoes under the pants for the most part:

morocco-brunello.jpg

omega-event.jpg

That looks spot-on, David. -{
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    While I don't have these exact pieces, I've had quite a few light brown/tan summer jackets in my wardrobe over the years and have always paired them with tan chinos. While I like slightly more contrast in my outfit so it doesn't look like a mismatched suit, I find this an easy outfit to wear in the summer. I wear it to work, but because it's a fairly casual outfit I wear it out to concerts, operas, ballets, the theatre and nice meals. However, I never wear a white shirt with this outfit, since I find a white shirt to look too formal. Usually it's a blue cocktail cuff shirt. Sometimes I wear a tie, brown or navy knitted, but often I don't.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Sterling ArcherSterling Archer Posts: 197MI6 Agent
    I love this outfit, don't own it, but I think it is in-between formal and casual much like Connery's brown goldfinger outfit. I'd think it would fit in anywhere semi-formal. Probably not a board meeting suit, though if I was the boss I'd wear it but weddings and other days/nights out it should work just fine.

As others said, where the tie to the normal length.

I'm trying to incorporate more outfits like this into my wardrobe as I get older. It's easy for me to do a nice casual outfit, I'm in my late 20s so it's my bread and butter, and I can easily pull off formal as well but doing something in-between beyond just a shirt with some rolled up sleeves and chinos takes a bit more creativity.
    I love this outfit, don't own it, but I think it is in-between formal and casual much like Connery's brown goldfinger outfit. I'd think it would fit in anywhere semi-formal. Probably not a board meeting suit, though if I was the boss I'd wear it but weddings and other days/nights out it should work just fine.

I'm trying to incorporate more outfits like this into my wardrobe as I get older. It's easy for me to do a nice casual outfit, I'm in my late 20s so it's my bread and butter, and I can easily pull off formal as well but doing something in-between beyond just a shirt with some rolled up sleeves and chinos takes a bit more creativity.

It's a step down in formality from the Goldfinger jacket and trousers. Because the BC jacket is unstructured and the trousers are cotton, it can be worn more easily in modern casual settings in comparison to the stiffer look of Connery's outfit. it's as informal as you can get while still wearing a jacket and tie. Good for a beach wedding but not really any other wedding I've ever been to.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    So when I go to your wedding I wont see you in this??? :007)
    Matt S wrote:

It's a step down in formality from the Goldfinger jacket and trousers. Because the BC jacket is unstructured and the trousers are cotton, it can be worn more easily in modern casual settings in comparison to the stiffer look of Connery's outfit. it's as informal as you can get while still wearing a jacket and tie. Good for a beach wedding but not really any other wedding I've ever been to.
    So when I go to your wedding I wont see you in this??? :007)
    Matt S wrote:

I don't think Bond would wear this outfit to a wedding...
  • cmdr_bongcmdr_bong AustraliaPosts: 202MI6 Agent
    I appreciate the feedback guys! :)

Obviously I understand that the pieces can be swapped out and in to ensure practicality to the situation it is intended for. But what drew me towards this particular outfit is that combination of the dress and tie look on top, and the outdoor action-y gears at the bottom. In the Moroccan desert that is obviously fitting. I showed my girlfriend this outfit to get her opinion, and we agree that, as Matt S said, this is probably inappropriate for the majority of weddings that one would get invited to (hey there may be some who likes to get married in the desert or in the jungle :D ), and would probably lose the tie and wear nicer shoes a step down in terms of formality.

But for me it is interesting to discuss the real world application of some of these outfits Bond wears in film. And I love hearing opinions from others here. Overall besides the obvious suits that Bond wears, I find the majority of the outfits worn by DC in his Bond outings to be highly practical. Having said that it is odd that the outfit that captivate me the most from Skyfall (Manor outfit with Barbour) and Spectre (Moroccon outfit with Brunello Cucinelli) are both that I find the most difficult to pull off.
    edited January 2019
    It’s ok. I’m not Bond. Also, don’t own the outfit so... David let me borrow it for a wedding so I can give Matt a heart attack :))

Also, I had a daytime California wedding in mind. We all don’t get to enjoy the wonderful weather and formality of the east coast :007)

Joking aside, I’m eagerly anticipating a trip to London so I can get the goldfinger 3 piece made which will be a fun wedding outfit. Hopefully, Matt approves.
    It’s ok. I’m not Bond. Also, don’t own the outfit so... David let me borrow it for a wedding so I can give Matt a heart attack :))

Also, I had a daytime California wedding in mind. We all don’t get to enjoy the wonderful weather and formality of the east coast :007)

Joking aside, I’m eagerly anticipating a trip to London so I can get the goldfinger 3 piece made which will be a fun wedding outfit. Hopefully, Matt approves.

The Goldfinger three-piece glen check suit would be a very nice summer wedding outfit.

I've been to a few California weddings, and most men wore suits. :007) Except for the wedding parties, which always wore cheap hired "Tuxedos". :#
    edited January 2019
    Haha that’s what I wear as well but if I paid that kind of money for this Morocco outfit I’d have to find some outings to wear it.

I’ll probably be having my own wedding in the next year or two but sadly I may be boring and just wear a classic peak lapel black tux. I jest though, a tux really isn’t boring when most people in my age group don’t own one and black tie now means wear a suit (tie being optional for some...)

You wear an Oxford and chinos here and you’re well dressed (obviously not at a wedding lol).
    Matt S wrote:

The Goldfinger three-piece glen check suit would be a very nice summer wedding outfit.

I've been to a few California weddings, and most men wore suits. :007) Except for the wedding parties, which always wore cheap hired "Tuxedos". :#
    Haha that’s what I wear as well but if I paid that kind of money for this Morocco outfit I’d have to find some outings to wear it.

I’ll probably be having my own wedding in the next year or two but sadly I may be boring and just wear a classic peak lapel black tux. I jest though, a tux really isn’t boring when most people in my age group don’t own one and black tie now means wear a suit (tie being optional for some...)

You wear an Oxford and chinos here and you’re well dressed (obviously not at a wedding lol).
    Matt S wrote:

When I was a kid and tried to wear Bond's most casual outfit (inspired by the polos from Dr. No and Thunderball), the other kids asked me why I was so dressed up. I understand that California is the same for adults. :D
    I wore a Henley, with some nice jeans, and a pair of boots and someone asked me why I was so dressed up once. I'll never forget that. Anything above a T-Shirt, jeans/shorts, and sneakers is dressing up here. It's just the culture.

Your body is a big part of your outfit as well. Recent weather aside, the weather doesn't allow for much layering. How you make your limited outfit choice selection look on your body goes a long way.

I hate the streetwear fashion. Screw the bomber jackets, skinny jeans, and fresh kicks. Give me a harrington/leather jacket, chinos, and some boots. Buying a $400 Gucci T-Shirt and pairing it with the latest hypebeast sneakers doesn't make you well dressed but I digress. We are in strong contention for some of the worst dressed people in the world and I'm well-traveled.

I have derailed this thread enough though. -{ cheers Matt and keep up the great work the podcast and your site.
    Matt S wrote:

Matt S wrote:

When I was a kid and tried to wear Bond's most casual outfit (inspired by the polos from Dr. No and Thunderball), the other kids asked me why I was so dressed up. I understand that California is the same for adults. :D
    Sterling Archer I have the same problem here in Australia. We are a laid back bunch, and "dressing up" means you wear a collared shirt. Granted our sense of style has improved of recent years, but one would still get some cheeky comments if you show up in a outing wearing a tie when you can get away with something more casual....which we mostly do. That's is the reason why I'm interested in what everyone thinks about this outfit. It is such a neither-here-nor-there combo.
    cmdr_bong wrote:
    It is such a neither-here-nor-there combo.

I think that such an outfit may be most difficult to wear in a very casual society. If you actually need to dress up for an important occasion, this outfit won't be formal enough. But if dressing for a nice dinner means you are wearing something other than beachwear, this outfit is too formal. I've been to many places in California where this outfit sans tie would fit in quite well. But if you're near the coast you might want to wear something to keep you warmer! If you're inland, it's going to be too formal.
    Matt S wrote:
    cmdr_bong wrote:
    It is such a neither-here-nor-there combo.

I think that such an outfit may be most difficult to wear in a very casual society. If you actually need to dress up for an important occasion, this outfit won't be formal enough. But if dressing for a nice dinner means you are wearing something other than beachwear, this outfit is too formal. I've been to many places in California where this outfit sans tie would fit in quite well. But if you're near the coast you might want to wear something to keep you warmer! If you're inland, it's going to be too formal.

EXACTLY! Matt you nailed it.

I mean, if I were in the same situation as Bond in the desert, would I be wearing a blazer, with shirt and tie? Nah no way. I would most likely just wear the TF polo shirt or the blue linen shirt getting off the train. But because it is James Bond we don't bet an eye becase him over-dressing for the occasion is normal. However a fan of the ensemble I, like most on this forum, would definitely like to recreat the outfit for ourselves. That's when I run into the problem of "Where the hell can I wear something like this as a whole?" ?:) Truth is I feel I will have to at the very least swap out the boondocker boots for a pair of chucka boots to be able to get away with it. Which I feel is abit of a shame as the boots really made the outfit stands out on DC.
  • DBSDBS Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,015MI6 Agent
    To add my two cents to this discussion, I wore the BC jacket, along with matching BC trousers (I had them made at BC using the same fabric), as a 2-piece suit to a wedding here in Los Angeles last September. I swapped out the Kenton boots for a pair of brown suede chukka boots from BC, a light blue collared shirt and a necktie (not the TF knit) with an added pocket square for a pop of color, and I thought the outfit was right for the occasion. I was wearing the ensemble as a suit so it fit in with other guests wearing suits and ties, but I was much more comfortable in this very lightweight fabric, while I watched others sweat it out in what must have been 100% dark wool suits. The temp outside was low 80s and there were only fans set up inside the church.

In this case, while the structure of the jacket and fabric might not have been suitable for a wedding, I thought kicking it up to a 2-piece suit with a tie and more appropriate footwear made it much more suitable for a wedding.

I can’t argue that Los Angeles has slipped in terms of dress code in recent years. I’m not a fan of streetwear and always try to go the extra mile to look more polished than the guy standing next to me. I still believe in the saying that it’s better to be overdressed than underdressed on any occasion. I too haven’t found a way to wear the BC Morocco outfit as a whole, but I love that the pieces that make up the outfit are versatile on their own. And it’s fun to see the members here come up with some creative variations that are all inspired from this one Bond look.

Kind regards,
    Craig
    Great insight Craig! Yes I agree a change of footwear for this outfit is pretty necessary. I guess I will just have to leave my boondocker boots for more casual outfits.

I saw this article the other day. Some good points about the comeback of brown suits:

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/brown-suit-rules-to-know-before-you-buy-one-2019-1