Connery vs Saltzman & Broccoli - Who Was the Villain?

Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
edited February 2019 in The James Bond Films
I've been reading 'Some Kind of Hero' and have recently rewatched the Everything or Nothing film and I find the eventual friction between Sean and the producers to be fascinating.

I feel that the documentary and EON in general has a tendancy to paint Broccoli always in a glowing light and Connery as a spoilt, temperamental actor who wanted more than he was entitled too.

Aside from this is Saltzman, who is painted as a violent tempered egomaniac, and the bully boy of the 2 producers. But I feel like both producers were underhanded when it comes to Connery, and ultimately were negligent in giving him his just rewards financially. I could be wrong, I don't know all the ins and outs, but it seems like Connery had more of an axe to grind with EON than EON had with him.
The shame for me is that Connery's disatisfaction with the role spilled out onto the screen, with his lazy YOLT performance and his absence in OHMSS.

Do you guys think that Connery was dealt with unfairly? Do you think that Broccoli was probably a bit more of a sly dog than how he is protrayed by EON?

Or is it Connery that was ungrateful and difficult?

Comments

• 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    I agree. I think the producers are more in the wrong. Connery's performed was already suffering in Thunderball.

Did Barbara broccoli have anything to do with making the documentary? That would be indicative of its bias...
  • Revolver66Revolver66 Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 470MI6 Agent
    005 wrote:
    I agree. I think the producers are more in the wrong. Connery's performed was already suffering in Thunderball.

Did Barbara broccoli have anything to do with making the documentary? That would be indicative of its bias...

You think Connery was off in Thunderball? Interesting. I always thought he was in top form in that film
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited February 2019
    I don’t remember the details anymore, but were there any instances of the producers breaching their contact with Connery? Was any law broken to his disadvantage? The hefty million dollar paycheck he received for DAF is the result of being in an favorable negotiating position that allowed him to reap the rewards he “deserved.”

However, that negotiating position did not previously exist since he didn’t yet have the proven box office...so, it’s like the chicken or the egg. So, to paraphrase EON, how can he complain about a gig that earned him the fame and fortune of a lifetime he wouldn’t have otherwise?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    I guess Connery signed a nice contract at the time but did not imagine in a million years that Bond would become a huge phenomenon. Presume he was sick of seeing the money rolling in without getting a nice increase in salary.

Kind of like a modern day footballer who becomes a sensation overnight!

Prob both parties to blame but you do get a feeling Connery was a awkward bugger :))
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 258MI6 Agent
    Connery discovered that Dean Martin and James Coburn were being paid more for their performances as fake-Bond as he was for actual-Bond. Like today, with the Hollywood pay gap, it is difficult to determine whether celebrity status should be factored into the equation. Martin had been a successful film star for far longer than Connery, and was riding high with his own popular television variety show, but Thunderball earned about a hundred and twenty million dollars more at the box office than The Silencers had. Futhermore, it was difficult to say whether Connery or the character was the star. Eon thought Connery should be grateful for what he was given, that they had made him a star, yet Connery knew he was the face of the series while they werent. Controversialy, Broccoli and Saltzman were increasing their salaries but did not bother to increase Connery's.
  • clublosclublos Jacksonville, FLPosts: 193MI6 Agent
    If the producers hadn't put their faith in Connery, he'd still be driving lorries and polishing coffins. Of course, when he saw that Craig had been given a producer's credit on Spectre, he most likely started grinding his false teeth.

Producers have every right in the world to pay their employees whatever they feel the employee is worth. They invested their money in their company and deserved to reap the benefits. Performance of a job is only a portion of a worker's value and they paid him what they felt was fair. As an employee, if you feel that you are being treated unfairly, you can leave. And so he did.
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    As much as I love Connery, I always have the feeling that his disquiet and unhappiness grew with his rising stardom, I'm too young but appreciate just how fantastically successful the bond films were, and how much mania surrounded them akin to beatle mania I've read. Connery was a no mark before bond as an actor, getting the Bond gig propelled him into super stardom, both Saltzman and Broccoli put everything they had on Bond being successful, thankfully the massive gamble paid off, but if it had failed, Connery would have received his paycheck and the producers would have faced financial ruin. Sure you could argue that as the financial rewards rolled in they owed Connery a bigger slice of it, but he signed a contract, no one held a Walther ppk to his head.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    I do think the kicker is that they renegotiated their contract with UA several times throughout the 60s but were tight fisted with Connery. That smacks of both greed and having double standards. Connery does seem like a tricky customer, but I mean how can you justify not wanting to stick to your own financial agreement with your employer and then not accommodate the guy who's helping you make a fortune?
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Connery WAS Bond. EON squandered their biggest asset. Being tight fisted with the formerly dirt poor Scottish star was a poor tactic. If the series suffered it was due more to poor script and production choices than an a indifferent actor.

Along with Connery the producers tossed out the Fleming thrillers - the very essence of all things Bond. To this day they persist in turning out cookie cutter films while sitting on some of the best stories in spy fiction.
    edited February 2019
    According to Steven Jay Rubin’s “The James Bond Films,” Connery’s biggest gripes were the boredom of the repetitive entries and how long the shootings took. One of the key demands he made was reducing the shoots to twelve weeks, which was deemed unfeasible.

As for the contract, it was for six films, one a year from 1961 to 1967. Because the filming of YOLT was approaching the end of the contractual period, EON released Connery short of the sixth film; so around that time there were a few months of negotiations that took place and many offers were given to Connery. In the end, supposedly he was adamant about getting off the hamster wheel, but one would wonder about the degree of interest that existed to withstand such a prolonged negotiation period.

I think it was at that time, similar to when negotiations for DAF would later take place, when Connery was finally in a good position to negotiate...his chance to extract his weight in gold, but I guess the prospect of more money came a little too late, for that point in time at least, lol. Since artistic integrity seemed to be at the core of his contention, he can be accused for either a bit of hypocrisy, or a lowering of standards over time; case in point of course, DAF and the groaner that was NSNA.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    I can see both sides of this (Guardian reader as I am) yes Connery was 'a tricky customer' (nice phrase) but he was not treated well by EON who were notoriously tight fisted with him. They also squandered Lazenby who could also have been handled much better but was also an even more tricky customer. Bond required an actor with swagger and this seems to have spilled out into the professional relationship/attitude of both actors.

The pendulum has swung in the opposite direction currently, maybe Babs has learnt from prior mistakes although the current indulgence has perhaps gone too far.

Roger also had his problems but seemed to manage it better, perhaps that lack swagger did not antagonise in the same way. They had also learnt the risks involved with changing actors and perhaps are still very reluctant to do so until it cant be avoided.
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,758MI6 Agent
    Cubby and Saltzman made a calculated gamble that it was Bond - not the actor portraying him - that people paid to see. Fifty years later, we now know they were right. They could’ve treated Connery better, but Connery wanted to move beyond Bond. I always thought he scapegoated Cubby when the truth was he didn’t want to do it anymore.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,270MI6 Agent
    Moore was also easier to deal with because he was in last chance saloon when it came to movies. If he wasn't a movie star by 46, Bond was his last chance. It's not like he'd have lots of other offers, so six months to do lovely work in exotic climes and get paid a fortune, what's not to like?
    Connery felt his chances sliding away, and the money not coming in as it might.
    I did read (on this site) that Connery got paid less, on average, than any other Bond actor! Inc Lazenby, Dalton. Yet Connery was the one who made it legend, the others followed in his footsteps. Of course, those first three films pulled his salary down, as they were not yet 'big' movies.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Moore was also easier to deal with because he was in last chance saloon when it came to movies. If he wasn't a movie star by 46, Bond was his last chance. It's not like he'd have lots of other offers, so six months to do lovely work in exotic climes and get paid a fortune, what's not to like?

While I agree with you in the lack of being the international moviestar before Bond ( imo he not even became ‚international‘ besides Bond), he was well established in Cinema and TV widely across Europe.

I am pretty sure that he did not lack offers at the time that he started with Bond, so I don‘t agree with the dark picture that you are trying to draw here - he was certainly not desperate when he took Bond nor was he on the ‚last chance saloon‘.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Cubby and Saltzman made a calculated gamble that it was Bond - not the actor portraying him - that people paid to see. Fifty years later, we now know they were right. They could’ve treated Connery better, but Connery wanted to move beyond Bond. I always thought he scapegoated Cubby when the truth was he didn’t want to do it anymore.

I think this post best encapsulates the central issue of this thread, or in the forum vernacular:
    +1
  • DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 258MI6 Agent
    Higgins wrote:

While I agree with you in the lack of being the international moviestar before Bond ( imo he not even became ‚international‘ besides Bond), he was well established in Cinema and TV widely across Europe.

I am pretty sure that he did not lack offers at the time that he started with Bond, so I don‘t agree with the dark picture that you are trying to draw here - he was certainly not desperate when he took Bond nor was he on the ‚last chance saloon‘.

Before the Bond offer, Roger was offered his own chat show, which he declined, and he could easily have made more of the Persauders. His film career, however, died with Crossplot, which had started filming before there was a finished script.
    superado wrote:

I think this post best encapsulates the central issue of this thread, or in the forum vernacular:
    +1

You don't agree that not being paid what he should of may have contributed to his disillionment with the franchise?
    Higgins wrote:

I wasn't disparaging Moore and I know he was a hugely successful TV star. That said, I'm not sure if The Saint wasn't finished by then, and certainly The Persuaders had been cancelled.

Personally I can't think of any significant movies he was in until Bond. Certainly none that would offer the standing not to mention the pay cheque that the Bond films offered. Because of that, Moore's attitude to bagging an established role at the age of 46 would have been very different to that of Connery feeling trapped by it, with other offers falling by the wayside, in his late 30s.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,742MI6 Agent
    Apparently, David Picker, the head of production at United Artists, felt that EON had treated Connery poorly and should have given him him whatever he wanted to keep him as Bond. On the other hand, Picker had his own issues with EON and the numerous times they renegotiated their contract with UA.
    Because of that, Moore's attitude to bagging an established role at the age of 46 would have been very different to that of Connery feeling trapped by it, with other offers falling by the wayside, in his late 30s.

Here we agree but from your initial post, it sounded, that Moore was absolutely desperate for roles and money at his "forwarded age" which was certainly not the case.

Having discussed the issue with Barbel yesterday, I think, that we both agree, that no matter how much money EON would have paid him, Connery would have still walked away from them with the attitude that they have totally robbed him.

Maybe, but people can feel robbed anyhow. Barbel will know better than most the attitude of John Barry after The James Bond Theme was wholly credited to Monty Norman, then used throughout much of Dr No, then again Barry got first dibs of every Bond film thereafter.

There may be something else going on too, I mean Connery did leave with the impression that the producers had actually swindled him, rather than merely not giving him a bigger slice, and took them to court over that decades later. Under the settlement, he's not allowed to talk about it.

Added to which, doesn't another thread on this forum talk about Connery needing treatment for his flagging libido - when was that? Was it 68? If so, that might explain his reluctance to sign up for OHMSS, or another Bond, because the feeling of being trapped and not doing what you want to do can have a very bad effect on the libido.

But if you are trapped, you want shedloads of money to justify it - which Connery didn't get.
    Also, unlike the other Bond actors, Connery was locked into a lengthy picture deal of six films I think (it got pulled back to five) whereas the others were just three, and could then negotiate on their terms. In contrast, Saltzman freed Caine from his contract early on as a favour.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited February 2019
    again, I agree, that the 6 (then reduced to 5 movies) contract played massively in favour of the producers - particularly after the series took off with Goldfinger and then Thunderball. They took a massive risk (just imagine what would have happened if the frachise would have tanked and they'd been stuck with a 6 movies contract with Connery) and it paid off extremely well.

And yes, I think, that they should have given Connery a new and/or much better paid contract after GF or Thunderball.

But I am afraid - no matter how much they'd have added, Connery would still have walked away grumpy and unhappy.

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,212Chief of Staff
    Yes, I agree that Connery would still have been unhappy whatever deal he got.

And I do think that whatever Barry felt about the "James Bond Theme" (and that's all I'll say), being hired to do the scores for FRWL etc made him very happy.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,238MI6 Agent
    One of the problems with being tied to a contract like Connery's is that it provided very little time for him to make other movies. Now, I know he made Marnie, The Hill, Woman of Straw and A Fine Madness during his period playing Bond - but that is all. He was paid for the movie schedule, but had to do endless interviews pre- and post- movie, photoshoots, etc. He had no image rights, he was James Bond and his face advertised the product, but he saw no recompense.

His was the very first truly global screen character. he wasn't a one off - like Clark gable who so wonderfully portrayed Rhett Butler - or even a studio bound low-budgeter like a Tarzan or Charlie Chan. Bond was HUGE by 1965 and he was seeing none of it.

Connery was raised in a tough working-class neighbourhood and did some tough working-class jobs. If you worked you expected reward. Broccoli and Saltzman didn't give it to him, so he told them to shove their job - basically.

When he left the EON stable he made 20 movies in 10 years, some not so good, some dreadful, some brilliant, but all worth watching. He was able to stretch his dramatic repertoire and eventually won an Oscar - though he rather played a mythical version of himself in The Untouchables.

Connery is a very principled man. Once he makes a decision, he stands by it, until it falls apart. His contract with EON was no longer fit for purpose in 1965, he knew it, they knew, but EON were not playing ball. Result: an actor goes on strike.

YOLT displays a shadow of Connery's Bond from 1962-64. I much prefer him in DAF, when the boot is on his foot: he's laid back, twinkly, amusing, studied, there's no disdain or boredom. He's laughing with the audience [or rather the production audience] not at them, as he was in YOLT.

Connery saw his employment by EON as a labour rights issue and to that end, he won the case, and as a working man, I tend to side with the little guy, so for me, Connery, big as he was in stature, is the victim here.
    If he was such a principled man, he‘d stood with the contract without moaning.

Sorry, but I fail to feel sorry for him. As Bond, he was among the 0,01% of actors, that really could make a living out of their profession.

And he was a very well paid actor in his Bond days.

We need useful input from Labour's John McDonnell on the issue of villains here! :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Higgins wrote:
    If he was such a principled man, he‘d stood with the contract without moaning.

Sorry, but I fail to feel sorry for him. As Bond, he was among the 0,01% of actors, that really could make a living out of their profession.

And he was a very well paid actor in his Bond days.

I think as fans, there's the emotional tendency to stack up all our sympathy on the actor, who after all is "solely" responsible for making us feel good, overlooking everything else that made the experience possible. There's a Jean Luc Goddard movie in which a couple discussed a dream dinner with James Bond and who wouldn't jump at the chance of spending time with Sean Connery? However, thinking about it more carefully in strict regard for any discussion about the ins and outs of film series, my dream dinner would be with Broccoli or Saltzman, or even Terence Young, Guy Hamilton, Peter Hunt, etc.
    Granted, my choice, if he‘d still be here would be Sir Roger :#

I guess the question is, why didn't the producers stick by their original contracts? And seeing as they didn't, why should Connery be expected to?
    Revolver66 wrote:
    I guess the question is, why didn't the producers stick by their original contracts? And seeing as they didn't, why should Connery be expected to?

But they did. The contract was for 6 films a year from 61-67, and seeing that they were just on their 5th as 67 was approaching, they released him from contract. The overriding condition of the contract was the period it was to be in effect and that's what Connery was bound to. If you think the producers breached their contract in any way, why didn't Connery sue since he was so upset?