Thoughts on the living daylights

Hi this is a thread about Timothy Daltons first bond movie and easily my favorite of his the living daylights relased in 1987 Timothy Dalton is the only actor to play bond 2 times and that's probably for the best he always looked pissed off in his movies and he lacked a lot of humor that Sean Connery and Roger Moore had to me he was just okay as bond and this movie is my favorite of his because it has a great musical score and great action and a great bond girl my favorite scene of the movie is the sleading part when Dalton is on the violin case so you can ask any question about that film here

Comments

• 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    The Living Daylights is my favourite Bond film from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Brings back the seriousness that had been missing since OHMSS and a younger Bond that had been missing since arguably TMWTGG (Moore was looking a bit old from Spy). LTK is a bit too devoid of fun and Dalton is too curmudgeony, and i'm not a fan of the Brosnan's except Goldeneye, which isn't aging too well for me lately.

This one has a fresh new Bond, an interesting plot, great characters, fantastic score - perhaps even the best out of the whole series, and decent set pieces. It's also the last Bond film to have that classic Bond 'feel', which was partially lost in LTK and completely gone by the time Brosnan steps in.

If not in my top 5, it's at least in my top 10.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    Powergod 477098-

There are many existing threads this could have fitted into. The easy way to find that out is to use the "Search" function- try typing in the word "Daylights" and looking at the results.
    We have had this conversation more than once before and I did think you'd been taking note but I may have set my hopes up way too high.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Powergod 477098-

There are many existing threads this could have fitted into. The easy way to find that out is to use the "Search" function- try typing in the word "Daylights" and looking at the results.
    We have had this conversation more than once before and I did think you'd been taking note but I may have set my hopes up way too high.

Is this funny comment the reason why you didn't close this thread?
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    No, I'm through sending PMs and want PG to respond publicly.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    So Barbel, what are your thoughts about living Powergods :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    I'm thinking they should not ignore PMs advising them not to open new threads without clearance from a mod, and similarly they should take note of repeated advice re using the "Search" function.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Maybe he had a reboot :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    Hope he didn't get the boot :007)
    a reasonable rate of return
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I'm thinking about it now.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    You remember that scene where that thick ass wood copper lookalike electrician woman forces herself on that poor old man just doing his job but then he thinks what the heck might aswell just go with it now and he nearly suffocates in her decollete and she keeps pressing him and he‘s desperately grasping for air while Bond snoops around in the background before the woman eventually lets the poor bastard go with serious mental damage and all so Koskov can get to Station V it‘s easily my most uncomfortable scene to watch what’s yours?
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    At least it made a change from working with all those
    Jewels in Octopussy :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,698MI6 Agent
    Hope he didn't get the boot :007)

If he hasn't been around maybe he disagreed with something that ate him.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    I always wonder if it’s a banned former member creating a new persona just to annoy everyone.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
  • 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    Interesting reading all your thoughts about the living daylights. :))
    I always wonder if it’s a banned former member creating a new persona just to annoy everyone.

Well, if so it's backfired since much fun has been had by various people!
    " No one ever leaves the AJB !" :007)
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    That is so true. I haven't been here for more than 3 years, and it almost feels like I never left. :)

Anyway, love this film. That said, I feel like its main detriments come from the few Moore touches that the script missed to remove, which aren't plentiful per se, but are still noticeable, like some of the comic bits early on, and the frankly uneeded Gogol cameo - and I know Gogol was supposed to have filled the Pushkin part but the actor wasn't well enough to film the part, but honestly it would've made more sense if it had been Moore's Bond who dealt with him and not Dalton, and as such I find Gogol's presence like a shadow of the Moore era hanging over Dalton, and its distracting. Had it not had those, it would've felt even more like a soft reboot and I'd have prefered that, vastly.
  • dr. evan-gelistdr. evan-gelist SheffieldPosts: 398MI6 Agent
    Jimmy Bond wrote:
    That is so true. I haven't been here for more than 3 years, and it almost feels like I never left. :)

Anyway, love this film. That said, I feel like its main detriments come from the few Moore touches that the script missed to remove, which aren't plentiful per se, but are still noticeable, like some of the comic bits early on, and the frankly uneeded Gogol cameo - and I know Gogol was supposed to have filled the Pushkin part but the actor wasn't well enough to film the part, but honestly it would've made more sense if it had been Moore's Bond who dealt with him and not Dalton, and as such I find Gogol's presence like a shadow of the Moore era hanging over Dalton, and its distracting. Had it not had those, it would've felt even more like a soft reboot and I'd have prefered that, vastly.

Interesting to note that Dalton and Gotell appeared together in an episode of Tales From The Crypt. I wont spoil what happens between them if you havent seen it.
    "You're in the wrong business... leave it to the professionals!"
    James Bond- Licence To Kill
    Does Dalton cry ? :))
    No he gets his own back. Dalton has never cried in his life. Even as a baby he pretended.
    {[] I only asked in case Higgins hadn't seen it ;)
    Higgins loves our Tim.
  • DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 253MI6 Agent
    Dalton's his favourite Bond by a mile. Has his autograph and everything.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I don't think I have seen this film yet? There are a few James Bond films that I haven't seen. I usually watch them when they come on the television but I am buying DVD copies of the films to make a collection.
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    It does not air much which is a shame because it is actually quite good. Or atleast better than you would expect. One major pro is it has now literal clowns.
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • Jimmy BondJimmy Bond Posts: 324MI6 Agent
    Maybe because the Muzahedin appear in it and Bond actually helps them with their goals is kind of a reason its shown on TV a lot?
    Joshua wrote:
    I don't think I have seen this film yet? There are a few James Bond films that I haven't seen. I usually watch them when they come on the television but I am buying DVD copies of the films to make a collection.

if you wait for both of daltons films itll be a long one and theyll be on late at night on itv4. a little like the american midnight melodramas. itv are funny with the bond films because they repeat brosnans films more than any, sometimes billing them as classic bond. goldeneye yes other 3 no.
  • DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 253MI6 Agent
    Joshua wrote:

I recommend looking for them n charity shops. I love the places, and you will quickly build up your collection there.
    Joshua wrote:

if you wait for both of daltons films itll be a long one and theyll be on late at night on itv4. a little like the american midnight melodramas. itv are funny with the bond films because they repeat brosnans films more than any, sometimes billing them as classic bond. goldeneye yes other 3 no.

I have seen Licence to Kill on TV, but can not recall seeing the Living daylights.
    DavidJones wrote:
    Joshua wrote:

I recommend looking for them n charity shops. I love the places, and you will quickly build up your collection there.

Thank you this is a good tip. I also have found some James Bond films in the poundland shops. They are reconditioned nad in new packages. I bought Tommorrow Never Dies last week. I have not watched it yet though. I suggest you might look in there also.