(???) Dress seen in a 70's Bond film: Anyone know which movie?

Hi All,

I'm looking for the James Bond movie that starts out in Egypt (or some place in that part of the world,) with this gorgeous woman walking up to James Bond, and she's wearing a long, dark gorgeous dress (or so I thought.) Anyway, she starts kissing him, looks over his shoulder, see's a sniper about to fire, and softly says, "No." To that, James whips her around and uses her as a human shield, so that she takes the bullet and dies.

Not very heroic. I'd have written the script differently, like, with a tray nearby that he could yank and shield them both, but that was a product of it's day. Hopefully we're past that, and please excuse my Feminist indignation. It's beside the point...

Anyway, this all takes place in the very first few minutes of the movie, and I'm looking to at least identify the movie so I can check out the dress again. At best, I'd love to get a good screen-grab.

Does anyone know which movie I'm talking about? Thanks a million ahead of time. =) I'd really like to know! - but don't care to buy all the James Bond films it might be, just to find out which one it is.

Thanks!

Sandra

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent
    Thunderball
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    .... or The spy who loved me ?
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,150MI6 Agent
    Welcome to the forum.

The film is The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), with Roger Moore. The scene you refer to starts about 24 minutes into the film. The actress wearing the dress is Olga Bisera.
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • ZyanatzinZyanatzin Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Thanks! =)

I really can't find good pics online, but from what I can find, and watching the trailer, yep, it might be The Spy Who Loved Me. There's familiar footage in there lining up with this. I've ordered a copy from Amazon, so in a couple days I'll know. Based on the pics I've seen so far, as usual, my memory isn't 'photo' from that long ago, but it's certainly close enough to identify that's what I'm remembering. For example: The women tend to have medium brunette hair shades, including for Triple X, while I remember their hair as almost black. Funny how memory works.

Based on the pictures I've found so far (from the lower chest up,) I may already have a dress like that... We will see.

Again, thanks a million! =D I was really wondering about that detail.

Sandra
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Here you go. Fast forward to about 51 seconds or just watch the whole thing. It doesn't go for too long. :) -{

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1oxn3JxKkw
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Thunderball

Bruh...
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
    OGG007 wrote:
    Here you go. Fast forward to about 51 seconds or just watch the whole thing. It doesn't go for too long. :) -{

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1oxn3JxKkw

Yup! That's it. <g> Thanks for the link! I'll still have to watch the movie at that point to get a better look at the dress. From what I saw, though, I think I like the glittery, black and silver, Moroccan Abaya that I already own, better. =)

But I did / do have to check!

Thanks Again, All! =)

Sandra
  • 005005 Posts: 138MI6 Agent
    Wow never fully noticed Bond does that. That's cold, particularly for Moore's Bond.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    005 wrote:
    Wow never fully noticed Bond does that. That's cold, particularly for Moore's Bond.

Considering all the jokes that Moore’s Bond makes when people die (by his hand and by others), he’s the coldest Bond there is. Contrast that with Craig’s Bond who is depressed when he kills. That’s a proper human reaction. There’s nothing colder than joking about assassination, though it might be an effective coping mechanism.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • Arbogast777Arbogast777 Minneapolis Posts: 252MI6 Agent
    edited March 2019
    Zyanatzin wrote:
    To that, James whips her around and uses her as a human shield, so that she takes the bullet and dies.

I have to admit that my reading of that scene has been completely different from what I am reading of others here for decades.

I had always thought Sandor was never trying to shoot Bond at all, that he was shooting the girl. I never thought Bond used her as a shield to protect himself because he wasn't the one being aimed at. When we see that quick glimpse of Bond "whipping her around" she had already taken the bullet and was limp.

Notice that after she is shot Sandor doesn't shoot Bond even though he is in the easy position to do so...
    Zyanatzin wrote:
    To that, James whips her around and uses her as a human shield, so that she takes the bullet and dies.

I have to admit that my reading of that scene has been completely different from what I am reading of others here for decades.

I had always thought Sandor was never trying to shoot Bond at all, that he was shooting the girl. I never thought Bond used her as a shield to protect himself because he wasn't the one being aimed at. When we see that quick glimpse of Bond "whipping her around" she had already taken the bullet and was limp.

Notice that after she is shot Sandor doesn't shoot Bond even though he is in the easy position to do so...

This would work if it were clear in the story that she is the target. By 'clear', I mean that a reason needs to be given to the audience, or she or others need to state that someone is trying to kill them, before it actually happens. Basically, you need a set up. Without that? My observation stands. BTW, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to screenwriting. I work in this business.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,709MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Thunderball

Bruh...

Sorry, the part about using her as a human shield threw me off. :#
    in the scene she looks up sees Sandor about to shoot and cries out, Bond turns to see as he fires. An
    unfortunate occurrence. :D

Still not bad Zyanatzin, only a few posts in and already, you've established Bond as a psychotic, woman
    hating killer. 8-) ….. and you're a screenwriter.

I am in fact an international assassin and can concur with Bond's actions, … Standard Operational procedure :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Still not bad Zyanatzin, only a few posts in and already, you've established Bond as a psychotic, woman

I am in fact an international assassin and can concur with Bond's actions, … Standard Operational procedure :D

I'm so glad we have people from all walks of life on here—you can learn new things every day... :))
    edited March 2019
    Zyanatzin wrote:
    This would work if it were clear in the story that she is the target.  By 'clear', I mean that a reason needs to be given to the audience, or she or others need to state that someone is trying to kill them, before it actually happens.  Basically, you need a set up.  Without that?  My observation stands.  BTW, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to screenwriting.  I work in this business.

If we're going to proceed on the basis that screenwriters know what they're talking about rather than my lowly self, then we'll refer to "The Spy Who Loves Me" screenwriter Christopher Wood's own novelization of the movie where Sandor (unnamed in the book) is sent there to shoot her to stop her from giving Bond Fekkesh's location.
    Yup, I wondered if my tone might be read wrong. I'll just bite my tongue. I haven't actually seen the movie in years, which is why I came here to get my question answered. Thanks for that, all! =) I'll be getting a copy of the movie tomorrow, and I'll review the scene. I may be wrong, since I'm writing from memory, but we'll see.

There's actually a lot of misogyny in media, though I won't start listing examples. It tends to bother people when you point out what they were actually seeing, when in RL they're mentally tricking themselves into thinking it really wasn't that. Which is a Good Thing! That means they saw something they would never approve of! So I'm not bashing people's lack of awareness. It's a mental defense against what was portrayed.

Remember, this is the business that gave us Harvey Weinstein. There are also still people out there who feel uncomfortable with a female producer or director, though I don't understand why. There's nothing about this business that women can't be just as good at, as men. Maybe even more so, because women tend to be more inclined to cooperate and be less about ego.

I'll hush, since I didn't come here to rant. I just came here to find a dress in a given scene, since I recently picked up a Moroccan Abaya, and I was wondering how close it was to memory vs. what I like now.

Peace,

Sandra
    JTM wrote:

I'm so glad we have people from all walks of life on here—you can learn new things every day... :))
    edited March 2019
    Zyanatzin wrote:
    This would work if it were clear in the story that she is the target.  By 'clear', I mean that a reason needs to be given to the audience, or she or others need to state that someone is trying to kill them, before it actually happens.  Basically, you need a set up.  Without that?  My observation stands.  BTW, I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to screenwriting.  I work in this business.

If we're going to proceed on the basis that screenwriters know what they're talking about rather than my lowly self, then we'll refer to "The Spy Who Loves Me" screenwriter Christopher Wood's own novelization of the movie where Sandor (unnamed in the book) is sent there to shoot her to stop her from giving Bond Fekkesh's location.

OK, I'm feeling a bit defensive here. Let me clarify: I only mentioned that I work in in the business for real, including writing, because if I started talking about the elements of setting up rationale for an action ~without~ stating my qualification, I felt I would be jumped all over, as in, "What makes you think you know?" *sigh* Everyone finds problems in movies - and they're RIGHT! There's actually a lot of stuff out there that isn't that well done. Not James Bond movies, of course. *wink* <g>

If you're talking about an element that was in the book that explains it, then my only observation would be that it needed to be clearer in the film. I like your explanation! Really, I do. I would rather have that be the case, than a portrayal like I saw, without real reason. As said, I'll be reviewing the movie again real soon.

Qualification is not a concern or something I have to establish when I'm talking to people in L.A., but if you go to some part of life that's not directly Film Industry (like here,) people tend to put on this dichotomy: They tend to think that people who command / associate with multi-million $$$ productions as A-listers are next to ~God~. Everybody else, if they disagree with something in the production, are just ignorant know-nothings. It's actually not like that at all. It's very open in this business that there are movies (not Bond flicks) that should never have been made! Those are called 'favors', because favors were called in to make them, or they were made as tax-write-offs, or for some other purpose. A movie can actually be very bad, but make a profit simply out of the marketing. I'm NOT talking about James Bond movies, of course. *wink* I do tend to notice the marketing and branding influences that are put in them, but that's fine.

OH! And everybody in this business is a critic, who would rather have told each and every movie's story their own way. :D It's true! After awhile you just have to stop asking for feedback, because people will give it! :o

Gee, I kind of feel like, "Damned if you do; Damned if you don't." :s

Peace, All
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,907MI6 Agent
    it must be a skill they teach in spy school, because Austin Powers did the human shield trick too, in the Spy Who Shagged Me
    https://youtu.be/JnI30mIKW2k
    Many great heroes have used a human shield :D
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,060Chief of Staff
    Just a question-

If James had not used Felicca "as a human shield" and had been shot, he would therefore have failed in the mission given directly to him by his government with much emphasis laid on its importance. Would that have been preferable?
    spock-4.jpg

“Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” ….. " Or the One "
    Barbel wrote:
    Just a question-

If James had not used Felicca "as a human shield" and had been shot, he would therefore have failed in the mission given directly to him by his government with much emphasis laid on its importance. Would that have been preferable?

Yes, I agree. That would have been the end of the story right there. We can't have that with James Bond! Horrors! (!!!) It's just sad that was the story-telling device if there were alternatives, such as writing in that there was a tray on an end table there, and he just whipped that out and shielded them both - provided she was not a target in the first place, which she was according to Arbogast777 and the explanation they gave, courtesy of the novelized version of the story.

Oh! I managed to upload a picture of the Abaya that I got. Looks different in several ways from that dress, but I think I like it better. :)

Moroccan_Abaya.jpg

I have another one that more closely resembles the dress in the film, (now that people here were helpful in identifying which one I was talking about. Thank you! :D ,) but I haven't uploaded a pic of that, yet.

Peace, All,

Sandra
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,150MI6 Agent
    It's a beautiful dress. We're pleased to help. There are some other nice black dresses worn by Bond girls, Anya (same film), and Severine in Skyfall.
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The funny thing is I can think of 2 instances where Bond DID use a girl as a shield (the beginning of Goldfinger and Volpe in Thunderball). I just don't think it was the case here.

BTW Sandra, if you have Netflix The Spy Who Loved Me is on there...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    They were bad girls however!

It's a bit like reporting Tom & Jerry to the Cats Protection League!
    Context is everything.

On a more serious note... the Met's SpyCops scandal makes me not merely ashamed to be British, but frightened to be British. It's sick.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    It's a beautiful dress. We're pleased to help. There are some other nice black dresses worn by Bond girls, Anya (same film), and Severine in Skyfall.

Thanks for all the help! =D Yes, I just reviewed that scene in The Spy Who Loved Me, and that's the dress. Unfortunately, I still stand by my original observation on what was going on _in_ the scene. :s Sorry, Arbogast777 :(

Yes, there are other lovely dresses in that film. I've just started a new diet, taking Psyllium husk capsules (with a lot of water) to avoid feeling hungry, so wish me luck slimming down again. My new, concurrent goal? Get skinny enough to look good again in the dress that Agent XXX wore when she went to bid on microfilm opposite James, but then Jaws shows up. That's a nice dress, too! I'll have to find one after I loose the weight.

Best, All! :)

Sandra
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,239MI6 Agent
    While we are on the subject, I know Connery is meant to be a bit of a god for Bond fans... but there was a Talking Pictures edition covering Hitchcock, and it showed a clip of the notorious Marnie scene were she gets basically raped on her wedding night by Connery.

The man himself watches clips of his films and interviewer Mark Curry asks him beforehand if he was aware of the controversy. 'Ah... no' muses Connery as if he'd been asked if he'd remembered what breakfast he'd had on the morning of the shoot, as if it is of no significance. After the clip is shown the old actor turns to the camera and smiles with the most grisly look of leery complacent smugness you ever saw, no director asking an actor to conjure up horrors could evoke anything more off putting. :(
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • GrindelwaldGrindelwald Posts: 1,294MI6 Agent
    You could always ask Tamahori :))