Special Edition Aston Martin DBS

To mark the 50th Anniversary of OHMSS, Aston Martin are releasing a Special Edition DBS...

E82-BC993-B620-4-F74-A1-BD-F2-C4-A08-FC78-E.jpg

But why...?
Did they not go with the original colour?
Did they choose those hideous wheels?
Did the emphasise that grill?
Still, if you’re not put off and have £300,007 kicking around spare, go ahead!

Love the photo shoot with the original though!

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Yes I did think that particular shot of them side by side does show that the original is a nicer colour! (Not to mention much more elegant and a purer design) And those horrible wheels... plus do you really want a gunbarrel and 007 stitched into your upholstery? Wouldn't you feel a bit silly?
    I wish Aston would go back to making pretty cars, not these tacky muscly things covered in vents and spoilers.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,119MI6 Agent
    I was excited when I saw the headline in the automotive press but disappointed with the detail for the following reasons;

The colour is lighter than the original olive green.
    The red piping on the seats sucks (inspired by the interior glove box. Yes the portion in the glove box that held the gun sight was red, but piping the seats for that reason? Just stupid! I would rather have just had the red interior in the glove box, as per in the film.
    Whilst we're on that point, if you're going to use the glove box as inspiration, then supply a quality monocular in there as a nod to the opening scene of the film.
    No walnut anywhere on the interior. Dashboard should have had some and a portion of the steering wheel.
    Wheels have very little to do with the original spoke wheels. They could have done better. Just as hard to clean though so 10/10 for that! ;-D
    Not enough chrome on the exterior.
    Now, I'm not saying that it should be a replica of the old model but in the new shape, but some more nods and touches would have been nice.

Anyway, just my tuppence worth. Think I'll just have to place my order for the standard DBS and spec it how I want it! :))
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    Love that idea of fitting a scope to the glove box!!! B-)
    And I agree the red piping just doesn’t go with the colour.
    Adding walnut and deleting the 007 embroidery would also have been good ideas.
    Nice try Aston. Close. But no cigar.
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,882MI6 Agent
    They have seemed (mostly) reluctant to reproduce the classics as it would diminish the pride of ownership and value for classics owners.

If they made an exact DB5 in Silver Birch (with a better low-riding chassis, shocks and A/C unit) EVERYONE would buy them who could afford them!
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!
    They have seemed (mostly) reluctant to reproduce the classics as it would diminish the pride of ownership and value for classics owners.

If they made an exact DB5 in Silver Birch (with a better low-riding chassis, shocks and A/C unit) EVERYONE would buy them who could afford them!

You know they are reproducing the DB5 in silver birch, yeah?
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,882MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

25 of them is a very limited edition, not for "everyone" who wants them... and I anticipate more "fun differences" from the originals...
    emtiem wrote:

25 of them is a very limited edition, not for "everyone" who wants them... and I anticipate more "fun differences" from the originals...

Astons aren't exactly available to 'everyone' anyway. And they wouldn't be able to reproduce the DB5 for road use anyway: the shape wouldn't even be able to stay the same.
    and I anticipate more "fun differences" from the originals...

Not really sure what that "means". :)
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent
    edited May 2019
    Having been lucky enough to drive the new dbs....

Honestly would have one in bright pink with rusty alloys. It is amazing!

And maybe b25 is OHMSS remake, this is the updated dbs for the film
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    007JBDCMWR wrote:

I have asked someone well positioned at AM, but cannot name the person.
    The AM in B25 will not be a DBS.
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,516MI6 Agent
    Commandant wrote:
    007JBDCMWR wrote:

I have asked someone well positioned at AM, but cannot name the person.
    The AM in B25 will not be a DBS.

No I know too, was jesting.
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
    I'm hoping it's another one-off: the DB10 was very cool.
    Failing that I think it would have to be a totally new car being launched; if Bond is driving a production model I doubt it's one the public have seen yet.
    emtiem wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

Astons aren't exactly available to 'everyone' anyway. And they wouldn't be able to reproduce the DB5 for road use anyway: the shape wouldn't even be able to stay the same.
    and I anticipate more "fun differences" from the originals...

Not really sure what that "means". :)

I agree with you regarding price and etc., that's why I mentioned some body changes above.

By "fun changes" I meant the "Look! It's a 007 car!" side panels and etc.

It's all a little crazy, isn't it? The originals used to go for $100K $to 125K ($125K U.S. in really lovely condition) and then the DB5 kept coming back again in the recent films . . . as PMJB explained to me, they now go for enormous sums.
  • CommandantCommandant Posts: 1,367MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Failing that I think it would have to be a totally new car being launched; if Bond is driving a production model I doubt it's one the public have seen yet.

It is probably going to be an electric Rapide...
    Commandant wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

It is probably going to be an electric Rapide...

I find that incredibly unlikely: they're only making a very limited number which I would imagine will be sold out by the time the film is released, plus it's a very old car- apart from the powertrain it's not the greatest ad for the future of the brand. The DB10 was a throw forward to the next Vantage (although it transpired it was much nicer than the Vantage turned out to be); I just don't see them throwing the same opportunity away on an upgraded version of an old (four door!) model which you will only be able to buy from a second hand dealer.

It may well be some new electric model but I very much doubt it's a Rapide.