1

Topic: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Hey all,

Lately I've been going a little crazy with sunspels, and alternatives for other Bond outfits. How do you all balance yourself with what you buy? I still have many plain athletic t shirts that I wear, but want to transition to a more Bond look more often.

How did you all figure it out? Good paying job?

2

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Some advice from my point of view (can't speak for everyone!  ajb007/biggrin )

1. Decide why you're buying all this stuff. Is it because you're collecting and want to own the most screen accurate pieces possible? Or is it because his style inspires you and you want to dress more like Bond on a day-to-day basis?

2. If you're buying because you're collecting, then yes, get a well-paying job and prepare to invest.

3. If you're buying because his style inspires you, then IMO it's important to realize that, unless you are built like Bond and have the same coloring as Bond, not everything that was used on-screen is going to work for your body. This is when you can start looking for alternatives at different price ranges that will fit you better but still give you a very similar look.

4. Start to prioritize. What do you need and what do you want? For example, fall is coming. So if you need a new fall jacket, then look for Bond style ones. Harringtons, Y-3, maybe a leather one like the Menlo or Matchless, maybe a Barbour. Same for sweaters, corduroy jeans, boots. And with all the sales going on right now, it's a good time to pick up some summer stuff: polos, swim shorts, linen shirts, etc. So keep an eye out for those deals.

You could say the same about suits. Unless you work in an office with a more formal dress code, why invest in a $5000 suit you're hardly going to wear? It's just money tied up in your closet and your cost per use is going to be really high. Better to invest in a really good sport coat that can be worn casually or a little more dressed up.

5. What you "want" is trickier. Personally, I just base it on practicality and how much I'm going to use it. I live in a very hot climate. So investing in a heavy cashmere sweater or expensive leather jacket that I'm never going to wear doesn't make much financial sense, no matter how much I want those pieces. I tend to invest more in the Bond "summer style" pieces that work for where I live. On the other hand, I really wanted a X To Ki To for a long time. So I finally broke down and bought one when I found a good deal, even though I barely wear it. It was a treat to myself. But I still try to be disciplined about all this 99% of the time. At the end of the day, they're just clothes.

6. Look for the "staple" pieces and invest in those. I mean the things that will work with a lot of different Bond looks. A black long sleeve polo sweater is an example. Or suede chukka boots. If you're flexible, one pair of khaki chinos in the right color can work for different looks from Goldfinger to Quantum of Solace to SPECTRE. Personally, I tend to avoid buying pieces that are super specific to one Bond look from the films or don't work with other clothing I have in my closet. But I will pay up if I know a piece is going to get heavy use.

7. Take your time and don't rush. Have a plan and be intentional about your purchases. Know what you're buying, why you're buying it and how you can actually wear it. And DON'T buy the best you can afford! Buy the best you're going to wear! I know too many people that invest money in the most expensive suit they can afford and then they're terrified to wear it because they might spill something on it. They would have been better off buying a much less expensive suit they'd feel comfortable and confident wearing.

Hope that helps!

3

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Great advice, canoe2. Perhaps worthy of its own blog post on Iconic Alternatives....

4

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Cheverian wrote:

Great advice, canoe2. Perhaps worthy of its own blog post on Iconic Alternatives....

Thanks! I'm actually in the process right now of updating all the "How to Dress Like Bond" articles on the site for this weekend. So the timing was pretty lucky since all that stuff was already going through my head!  ajb007/martini

5

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Great advice. I tend to think the people who do Bond cosplay on Instagram look ridiculous. And it’s also ironic, because you’d be hard pressed to identify a less Bondian thing to do.

On the other hand, drawing style inspiration from Bond (an all-time style icon) is a very good way to (1) dress better, and (2) subtlety pay homage to the character without looking like you’re headed to comic con. I’ve followed the “inspiration” model for years now, and while it’s shaped my style, I never wear anything that doesn’t look good on me just because it’s like something Bond wore. Yes, there are a couple of SA pieces from recent films that I really liked, so I purchased them. Yes I wear a lot of navy and gray suits with blue or white shirts with cocktail cuffs, along with knitted and grenadine ties of all colors. I never feel costumey in these things, though, because I think the style suits me. In a world of garish fashion, ultra-casual clothing, and bad fits, the simplicity of Bond-inspired style stands out (in a good way).

6

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

I'll second that! Great advice Canoe2 and MM.

Think long and hard before buying any piece of Bond clothing. Do you really want it or are you just caught up with the excitement and 'must have' thrill of ownership. Fine if you have a disposable income, but not otherwise. Even the less expensive items add up if you purchase just a few. A pair of shoes, a t-shirt/polo shirt here and there, sunglasses. Before you know it you can easily drop hundreds even thousands of pounds!!

Don't buy something, just because it's Bond related. Buy it, if you like it and will wear it! For example; personally, I really don't like the Tommy Bahama shirt and Vuarnet shades, so Bond/DC related or not, I'll not go anywhere near them.

Only buy something if you can afford it and either really want it (after a long think) and will wear it.

Try and wait for the sales. Buy items in a slightly different colour or style, which is often almost identical but cheaper, as it's not screen accurate. It's still Bond lifestyle IMO.

Also, try and go 'Budget' where you can. You can buy quality items from quality manufacturers that may not have a direct association with Bond but are still something Bond would wear. For example, there are (believe it or not!) other manufacturers of beach clothing, cashmere clothing, sunglasses that are equal in quality without the Bond association price tag!

By all means have some pieces of screen accurate items in your wardrobe to cherish and wear, if you can afford them. But keep them to an absolute minimum, unless you can honestly afford it.

I always tell myself, Bond is a practical, sensible person and would buy as good as he can get on his income. He would stick with his tried and trusted brands. He wouldn't (IMO) buy a Tom Ford shirt for £500 when he could purchase one of equal quality for half the price from Turnbull & Asser. I do appreciate I'm comparing literary to screen Bond of course, but trust you appreciate my point.

I agree 100% with Canoe2, buy the best you can afford to wear! If you can't afford to wear it worry free, if you can't afford to replace it if it gets ruined by red wine or torn, then you can't afford to buy it. Harsh but true and I tell myself that all the time!!

All the best ajb007/bond

"Any of the opposition around..?"

7

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Miles Messervy wrote:

Great advice. I tend to think the people who do Bond cosplay on Instagram look ridiculous. And it’s also ironic, because you’d be hard pressed to identify a less Bondian thing to do.

On the other hand, drawing style inspiration from Bond (an all-time style icon) is a very good way to (1) dress better, and (2) subtlety pay homage to the character without looking like you’re headed to comic con. I’ve followed the “inspiration” model for years now, and while it’s shaped my style, I never wear anything that doesn’t look good on me just because it’s like something Bond wore. Yes, there are a couple of SA pieces from recent films that I really liked, so I purchased them. Yes I wear a lot of navy and gray suits with blue or white shirts with cocktail cuffs, along with knitted and grenadine ties of all colors. I never feel costumey in these things, though, because I think the style suits me. In a world of garish fashion, ultra-casual clothing, and bad fits, the simplicity of Bond-inspired style stands out (in a good way).

What is Bond cosplay versus wearing "navy and gray suits with blue or white shirts with cocktail cuffs, along with knitted and grenadine ties"? Just context?

8

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Matt S wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:

Great advice. I tend to think the people who do Bond cosplay on Instagram look ridiculous. And it’s also ironic, because you’d be hard pressed to identify a less Bondian thing to do.

On the other hand, drawing style inspiration from Bond (an all-time style icon) is a very good way to (1) dress better, and (2) subtlety pay homage to the character without looking like you’re headed to comic con. I’ve followed the “inspiration” model for years now, and while it’s shaped my style, I never wear anything that doesn’t look good on me just because it’s like something Bond wore. Yes, there are a couple of SA pieces from recent films that I really liked, so I purchased them. Yes I wear a lot of navy and gray suits with blue or white shirts with cocktail cuffs, along with knitted and grenadine ties of all colors. I never feel costumey in these things, though, because I think the style suits me. In a world of garish fashion, ultra-casual clothing, and bad fits, the simplicity of Bond-inspired style stands out (in a good way).

What is Bond cosplay versus wearing "navy and gray suits with blue or white shirts with cocktail cuffs, along with knitted and grenadine ties"?

Fair point, but I think it’s down to the details. I have grenadines and knits in a number of colors besides navy. Some have polka dots. I like a wider tie and a wider lapel. I also like peak lapels on my single breasted suits. I prefer a wider spread collar than what Bond has generally favored because I think it looks better on me. I do like a roped sleeve head, but I never wear natural shoulders because I need something with a little more structure.

And it’s mainly thanks to your blog that I’ve been able to develop an understanding and appreciation for these details, and have then been able to decide what works for me and what does not.

Perhaps that’s the same thing as cosplay, but it doesn’t feel that way to me.

Last edited by Miles Messervy (5th Aug 2019 15:59)

9

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Miles Messervy wrote:
Matt S wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:

Great advice. I tend to think the people who do Bond cosplay on Instagram look ridiculous. And it’s also ironic, because you’d be hard pressed to identify a less Bondian thing to do.

On the other hand, drawing style inspiration from Bond (an all-time style icon) is a very good way to (1) dress better, and (2) subtlety pay homage to the character without looking like you’re headed to comic con. I’ve followed the “inspiration” model for years now, and while it’s shaped my style, I never wear anything that doesn’t look good on me just because it’s like something Bond wore. Yes, there are a couple of SA pieces from recent films that I really liked, so I purchased them. Yes I wear a lot of navy and gray suits with blue or white shirts with cocktail cuffs, along with knitted and grenadine ties of all colors. I never feel costumey in these things, though, because I think the style suits me. In a world of garish fashion, ultra-casual clothing, and bad fits, the simplicity of Bond-inspired style stands out (in a good way).

What is Bond cosplay versus wearing "navy and gray suits with blue or white shirts with cocktail cuffs, along with knitted and grenadine ties"?

Fair point, but I think it’s down to the details. I have grenadines and knits in a number of colors besides navy. Some have polka dots. I like a wider tie and a wider lapel. I also like peak lapels on my single breasted suits. I prefer a wider spread collar than what Bond has generally favored because I think it looks better on me. I do like a roped sleeve head, but I never wear natural shoulders because I need something with a little more structure.

And it’s mainly thanks to your blog that I’ve been able to develop an understanding and appreciation for these details, and have then been able to decide what works for me and what does not.

Perhaps that’s the same thing as cosplay, but it doesn’t feel that way to me.

You've taken great inspiration from Bond. You can dress exactly like Sean Connery did and not look like a cosplayer or even like James Bond. It's great that you know what collar suits you. But even if you wore a narrower collar like Daniel Craig wears now, it wouldn't look bad. Daniel Craig himself looks better in a wider spread than he likes to wear. Pierce Brosnan looked better in the moderate Tomorrow Never Dies collar than in the wide Die Another Day collar, but it still didn't look bad. What would you say is an example of someone who looks ridiculous dressing like Bond? A cheap dinner jacket and wing collar shirt, holding a gun? Wearing an ivory dinner jacket in the middle of winter?

10

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Matt S wrote:

What would you say is an example of someone who looks ridiculous dressing like Bond? A cheap dinner jacket and wing collar shirt, holding a gun? Wearing an ivory dinner jacket in the middle of winter?

Those are obviously examples, albeit extreme ones. For me it comes into play more with the casual outfits that are exact copies of things Daniel Craig has worn on screen. Because most people don’t resemble Daniel Craig in terms of, for example, physique, it invites an unflattering comparison.

Last edited by Miles Messervy (5th Aug 2019 17:03)

11

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Suits are harder to identify as Bondian, I think.

But I think you can easily get into cosplay with the recent casual outfits — and I will "out" myself as a prime offender!

When I wear my Matchless jacket with my Tom Ford polo with my Cucinelli chinos, I'm essentially wearing a Bond costume. If this was an outfit from a Dalton-era film, it would be one thing. But a small percentage of fashion-conscious movie goers recognize the Craig clothes. I have to be prepared for getting amused looks when I reach for certain distinctive items in my closet to wear in public.

Having said that, I think people should dress however they want to dress. If you're going sledding with the kids and want to reach for  the TF knit Spectre blouson, stirrup pants, glacier glasses, and Danner boots — then I say, go for it.

12

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

For me, the line between imitation (cosplay) and inspiration comes down to intent. I'm thinking of that scene from "Catch Me If You Can" when DiCaprio's character tells the tailor he wants the Goldfinger suit, "exactly the same as in the movie!" Pure cosplay ...

I think on a superficial level, much of Bond's film wardrobe has been relatively generic. Some type of grey or navy suit, white or blue shirt, dark tie, black shoes. The differences are of course in the details, which 99% of the population aren't going to notice. Something like cocktail cuffs or roped sleeveheads would be examples of that. So if you're dressed in a suit and tie exactly like Bond's, it's going to go over most people's heads. You'll just be a guy in a nice suit and tie. Same with a navy polo and pale beige jeans. Or a Harrington jacket, regular jeans and chukkas.

But there are other Bond looks that are very "costume-like", imo. I think you're right about context being an important part of it, Matt. Where one wears a dinner jacket very much matters in terms of how the intent is perceived.

However, I'm thinking more on the casual side. A couple of the SPECTRE looks (Hoffler Clinic, the Cucinelli look) and the Skyfall Scotland look are recent enough and distinct enough to be recognized by non-fans for what they are. I'll admit I have trouble wearing those pieces in the exact same combination as in the films. For me, it feels almost the same as going out in Bond's YOLT ninja outfit  ajb007/lol . Those outfits  tend towards cosplay in my mind because my intent in wearing them is to look exactly like Bond. And more people are going to recognize what I'm trying to do.

IMO, Miles Messervy's approach to dressing like Bond contains an important lesson. He can use Bond as inspiration because he's put in the time to learn what works for him and what doesn't. But when  someone doesn't take that time, it's easy to get trapped in this whole "Dressing Like Bond" bubble. Feeling like you have wear everything exactly the same way as you saw it on screen or you're somehow going to fail a test.


If that's my approach to all this, then what can I do if I don't like Tom Ford ties? Do I still have to wear one, even though I don't like the knots they make? Do I have to pay for a Menlo or Matchless? Mention LVC or Matchless to guys who are serious about leather jackets and their general reaction is "nice but way overpriced". Should I avoid getting the best leather jacket for my money just because Bond didn't wear it?

It didn't get many views when I first published it, but one of my favorite articles on the site was the interview I did with Gerry Nelson. You don't have to like his personal style. But, man, I learned a TON from him in the 2 hours we spoke. He discussed how he went from imitation to inspiration to being able to do his own thing in a very practical way. For someone just getting started building a wardrobe, I think it's very helpful.

Cheers!

13

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

My approach is that whenever you like certain clothes or combinations, just go for it. It’s you who has to feel comfortable and not some random SkyFall-viewer who might takes notice of the connection. Don‘t think about what other people might think or say...

Also I would only call it cosplay if it is worn in non-appropriate surroundings, e.g. the SF-lodge outfit anywhere else than an outdoor terrain.

But I wouldn’t condemn people for their copying of clothing combinations, even if taken over 1:1 by a movie character.

The name is Walker by the way.

14

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Perfectly said....remember, to this board it may look like cosplay but to the rest of the world, they wont have a clue.
It's why we call this an invisible hobby.

That all being said, I tend to buy the complete outfits but RARELY if ever wear them out beyond the initial review.  I will break apart the outfits, mix and match etc....

AugustWalker wrote:

My approach is that whenever you like certain clothes or combinations, just go for it. It’s you who has to feel comfortable and not some random SkyFall-viewer who might takes notice of the connection. Don‘t think about what other people might think or say...

Also I would only call it cosplay if it is worn in non-appropriate surroundings, e.g. the SF-lodge outfit anywhere else than an outdoor terrain.

But I wouldn’t condemn people for their copying of clothing combinations, even if taken over 1:1 by a movie character.

The Mantis was always The Bond Experience, but now he is The Bond Experience on AJB as well...
Visit youtube.com/TheBondExperience

15

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

canoe2 wrote:

For me, the line between imitation (cosplay) and inspiration comes down to intent. I'm thinking of that scene from "Catch Me If You Can" when DiCaprio's character tells the tailor he wants the Goldfinger suit, "exactly the same as in the movie!" Pure cosplay ...

I think on a superficial level, much of Bond's film wardrobe has been relatively generic. Some type of grey or navy suit, white or blue shirt, dark tie, black shoes. The differences are of course in the details, which 99% of the population aren't going to notice. Something like cocktail cuffs or roped sleeveheads would be examples of that. So if you're dressed in a suit and tie exactly like Bond's, it's going to go over most people's heads. You'll just be a guy in a nice suit and tie. Same with a navy polo and pale beige jeans. Or a Harrington jacket, regular jeans and chukkas.

But there are other Bond looks that are very "costume-like", imo. I think you're right about context being an important part of it, Matt. Where one wears a dinner jacket very much matters in terms of how the intent is perceived.

However, I'm thinking more on the casual side. A couple of the SPECTRE looks (Hoffler Clinic, the Cucinelli look) and the Skyfall Scotland look are recent enough and distinct enough to be recognized by non-fans for what they are. I'll admit I have trouble wearing those pieces in the exact same combination as in the films. For me, it feels almost the same as going out in Bond's YOLT ninja outfit  ajb007/lol . Those outfits  tend towards cosplay in my mind because my intent in wearing them is to look exactly like Bond. And more people are going to recognize what I'm trying to do.

IMO, Miles Messervy's approach to dressing like Bond contains an important lesson. He can use Bond as inspiration because he's put in the time to learn what works for him and what doesn't. But when  someone doesn't take that time, it's easy to get trapped in this whole "Dressing Like Bond" bubble. Feeling like you have wear everything exactly the same way as you saw it on screen or you're somehow going to fail a test.


If that's my approach to all this, then what can I do if I don't like Tom Ford ties? Do I still have to wear one, even though I don't like the knots they make? Do I have to pay for a Menlo or Matchless? Mention LVC or Matchless to guys who are serious about leather jackets and their general reaction is "nice but way overpriced". Should I avoid getting the best leather jacket for my money just because Bond didn't wear it?

It didn't get many views when I first published it, but one of my favorite articles on the site was the interview I did with Gerry Nelson. You don't have to like his personal style. But, man, I learned a TON from him in the 2 hours we spoke. He discussed how he went from imitation to inspiration to being able to do his own thing in a very practical way. For someone just getting started building a wardrobe, I think it's very helpful.

Cheers!

Great points.  ajb007/martini

16

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Like Chevarian and August Walker said, I never think it's appropriate to knock someone for wearing what they want to wear. But I think that ties back into the idea of intent. If you're comfortable in it and think you look sharp wearing it, then go for it.

However, there are definitely certain outfits more and more people will recognize as being "Bond". GQ magazine called the Skyfall Scotland look possibly the most influential menswear outfit in history. Why? Because it's been analyzed and dissected a 1000 times on Reddit. Or look at some of the WAYT Challenges on StyleForum; whenever there's a movie themed one, at least 25% of the entries are Bond inspired. Or just look at the number of Bond themed accounts on Instagram, Facebook, etc. Or the sheer volume of "Get the Bond Look" articles on men's style websites.

If you want to dress head to toe in Bond's Morocco outfit and you feel great wearing it, more power to you! But if you're thinking that nobody "out there" is going to recognize exactly what you're doing, you're fooling yourself. That's certainly not true of every look. But it definitely applies to some of them.

It's obviously up to the individual to decide whether that perception matters or not. But, to get back to the original poster's question, it can be a factor worth considering when deciding what clothes to invest in. It's also, as I said earlier, one of the reasons I generally avoid buying pieces that can only be used with one specific look.

17

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

One time I wore my Mason & Sons Goldfinger barleycorn hacking jacket out, though I wore it with a different shirt, tie, trousers and shoes to help it look more like a city outfit than a country outfit. But a person I did not know still recognised what the jacket what, then a moment later he recognised me! Everything I wore the jacket with was a Bond-inspired piece (DAF flannel trousers, LALD shirt, YOLT/OHMSS knitted tie), but I made the look my own. Most people who don't know Bond clothes all that well wouldn't know it; I think they would just see me as a well-dressed man.

18

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

OP,

You and I are on the same page.  I only wish I’d have gotten into the hobby 10 years ago! 

My purchasing is to enhance my wardrobe, as the DC Bond/McQueen style speaks to me more than any other at my age and fitness level.  I can’t bring myself to collect clothing simply for the sake of collecting, so I follow Iconic Alternatives like a love story.  As my “go-to” site for recommendations, it has never disappointed. 

I’ll splurge for authentic pieces that are within my reach and/or have such a distinctive look that an alternative just won’t scratch the itch.  Beyond that, a quality “really close” usually does the trick.

Everything in moderation!

Last edited by Cajun (5th Aug 2019 20:03)

19

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

I have been into dressing like Bond for two decades. And even before that I liked dressing up because it made me feel more like Bond. When I started didn't know everything I know now. I didn't have the internet to tell me exactly what Bond wore. When I started my blog 9 years ago I didn't know everything I know now. Dressing like Bond is understanding what makes Bond's clothes special and understanding how he wears his clothes. The latter is more important, otherwise it is cosplay. But understanding what the clothes themselves are about will help. I had a blue blazer when I was a kid that made me feel like Bond because Sean Connery and Roger Moore wore them in most of their Bond films. But later I realised it was an American-style blazer and not a British-style blazer like Bond wore. It took me years to find a blazer with double vents in America that was accessibly priced. I wanted to wear solid ties like Connery did, but I thought they were black rather than navy. I didn't see the texture. It took me years to find out what a grenadine tie was, and after I did it took a long time to find a store that sold them.

I spent years wearing the wrong things until I figured out what the clothes really were. I thought I was dressing like Bond, but I wasn't. When I finally got the right thing, I knew what I was doing. It takes a lot of money to do it right, but I have spent many years building my Bond wardrobe. It took a lot of mistakes to get to where I am now. We can tell you exactly how to get a Bond look now, but we can't tell you how to wear it or what's right for you. That takes experience wearing the clothes.

20

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Great posts everyone! Didn't expect this thread to gain this much traction!

It seems as the biggest lesson many of you learned was that you can find inspiration and not to jump the gun too quickly. I appreciate that.

I am in a big city, so I may not be able to make the Scotland look spot on, but I can take inspiration and switch things around!

The bond looks have led me to wear desert boots more often, more sweaters (both when it's colder) and just smarter looks overall. I need to realize though that it takes time to make a better wardrobe, because fit is King for clothing.

Too often I would previously wear joggers and t shirts but I see 8 year olds wearing the same outfit...time to change I thought.

21

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Craigisbond25 wrote:

Too often I would previously wear joggers and t shirts but I see 8 year olds wearing the same outfit...time to change I thought.

Good for you. I think this is the primary upside of taking inspiration from Bond’s style. It does take time, but that’s the beauty of wearing timeless, well-made clothing: It won’t go out of style so you can build a wardrobe over a period of years.

22

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Miles Messervy wrote:
Craigisbond25 wrote:

Too often I would previously wear joggers and t shirts but I see 8 year olds wearing the same outfit...time to change I thought.

Good for you. I think this is the primary upside of taking inspiration from Bond’s style. It does take time, but that’s the beauty of wearing timeless, well-made clothing: It won’t go out of style so you can build a wardrobe over a period of years.

Well said! It's a great hobby. Just gotta find that balance.

23

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

To me, the difference between cosplay and "just taking inspiration and making it work in real life situations" is whether it is appropriate attire for the situation. Wearing a a beautiful dinner jacket, exactly the same as Bond wore or just an approximation, to a black tie event = taking inspiration from Bond. Wearing that exact same outfit to a beach party during the middle of the day = cosplay.

1. Ohmss   2. Frwl   3. Op   4. Tswlm   5. Tld   6. Ge  7. Yolt 8. Lald   9. Cr   10. Ltk   11. Dn   12. Gf   13. Qos   14. Mr   15. Tmwtgg   16. Fyeo   17. Twine   18. Sf   19. Tb   20 Tnd   21. Spectre   22 Daf   23. Avtak   24. Dad

24

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

I'll add this to my first post:

People only come into cosplay-terrain when they start with adapting character traits. Fo example when the start walking with the Craig-swagger or even the monkey-walk of Pierce Brosnan in DAD.

THAT'S what I'd call ridiculous, only choosing the same clothing not!

The name is Walker by the way.

25

Re: Help!! Bond clothing is draining my bank account.

Craigisbond25 wrote:

Hey all,

Lately I've been going a little crazy with sunspels, and alternatives for other Bond outfits. How do you all balance yourself with what you buy? I still have many plain athletic t shirts that I wear, but want to transition to a more Bond look more often.

How did you all figure it out? Good paying job?

Specialize--only (or mostly) QoS clothing or only (or mostly) dinner jackets or whatever. Do you know how many collectors I've seen "get the fever" and buy everything they see?!

The other way is to trade/buy/sell up. Most collectors of clothing and all else collect and collect and collect and never sell. We book collectors will see a better copy B and sell copy A to get there--except for those who must have copy A, B, C and D at home--until their home resembles a bookstore. Not wise, usually!

IMHO, rare posters, rare props and rare books hold value over time--I see screen-worn clothing as holding and increasing in value as they are technically rare props, not sure I see lookalike clothing doing the same. Those high eBay prices will come down as soon as the new Bond makes 26 IMHO.