Re: Omega MOVIE watch, No Time to Die

I hope that we‘ll see the prop watch soon to compare as to me the watch does not look like 42mm on DCs wrist from the pics that we‘ve seen so far.

I like this comment following the Hodinkee review:

„Omega confirmed that both elements will fade over time”... I’m so happy to learn that omega officially agrees that the watch will look worse as time goes on. On the plus side, this toothless review won’t scratch the aluminum bezel at all!“

President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

-------Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!------

JTM wrote:
Higgins wrote:

Did anyone hear, when the watch is available?
As it is a non-limited watch, I am not in a hurry getting it and will be leaving to the early adopters fighting for allocations and paying the full price ajb007/wink

Available from February next year.

Yeah that’s the good thing about this one not being a limited edition, there’s no rush to go out and grab one because they’re not going to sell out. Also, give it a month or so after it’s released and you’ll most likely start seeing them pop up on the second hand market for a little less than retail—certainly not like most of the other Bond LE’s that sell for thousands more than RRP.

This idea that Bond watches sell for way more than retail is not true. People point to the Spectre watch because peoples' asking prices are very high but in actuality it sells for around $7500 on the low end to $8500 on the high-end but with patience the $7500-$8000 price range is not too hard to find.

Retail on the watch was $7500. If you factor in tax, the watch is frequently selling for less than retail+tax amongst collectors. That being said, I heard of people at the time it came out getting discounts so they could be doing a lot better than others.

Higgins wrote:

I hope that we‘ll see the prop watch soon to compare as to me the watch does not look like 42mm on DCs wrist from the pics that we‘ve seen so far.

I like this comment following the Hodinkee review:

„Omega confirmed that both elements will fade over time”... I’m so happy to learn that omega officially agrees that the watch will look worse as time goes on. On the plus side, this toothless review won’t scratch the aluminum bezel at all!“

They already started the patina for you as this is a luxury product and you don't want to have to do a lot of work yourself  ajb007/lol .

I love the watch but agree with others the price is ridiculous.  I have a Bremont terra nova in titanium of which there is only 300 and it was almost half the price. I think Omega are pricing themselves out of the market. Even a brand new rolex sub is cheaper than this watch.

Last edited by shilton125 (5th Dec 2019 10:54)

I don‘t know about Ti grades, but this came up on TRF:

„But, the huge problem here is the use of Grade 2 Titanium...especially if the screw down crown and tube are made with it. It is weak and inferior compared to GR 5 titanium...

Breitling used it a decade ago and the screw down crowns would strip out constantly. It was so bad they punted and switched to steel. Now they have another TI model (Bandit, but I think that is GR 5)....

Grade 2 makes it a pass for me..“

After initially falling in love with it, the bloom is already slightly off given the aluminum bezel and higher price point. It makes the 210.92.44.20.01.001 seem like more of a value, even without the mesh bracelet. The big draw for it now is that Craig had input into its design, but is that worth almost double a standard issue ceramic Seamaster with laser engraved waves? Brosnan's watch didn't seem to be marked up significantly for being a "Bond" watch. If it's not ridiculously overpriced, I may see about getting an official Omega mesh bracelet when they start to become available. Seems like that's a way off though, based on what the boutique told me.

@JaviTru on Twitter and @TheBondIsNotEnough on Instagram. Occasional contributor to thejamesbonddossier.com

I think Omega hit a home run here.  I wish the price was lower and it wasn't Ti, but it is what it is.  This is the watch I've been waiting for so I will be buying

Paperbill wrote:

I think Omega hit a home run here.  I wish the price was lower and it wasn't Ti, but it is what it is.  This is the watch I've been waiting for so I will be buying

Well, I look forward to your pictures come February!

@JaviTru on Twitter and @TheBondIsNotEnough on Instagram. Occasional contributor to thejamesbonddossier.com

Will the NATO strap be in the film at all? Or
Just the shark mesh?

Obi Sean Kenobi wrote:

Will the NATO strap be in the film at all? Or
Just the shark mesh?

The sales rep at the boutique seemed to think it would be, but I took it with a grain of salt as we haven't seen any evidence.

I prefer the NATO version ...  ajb007/martini

~Never Let Them See You Bleed~

If we look in the past, it was often advisable to buy Omegas with the metal bracelet and then buy the Natos/other straps for small money later.

To get the metal strap later, they came with a huge premium over the upcharge.

The mesh bracelet will be 99,9% be seen in the movie, so,I guess that most folks will want to get that in the end.

That aside, in the past, mesh metal bracelets stood for extremely cheap machine-made, I guess that Omega makes a ton of money on them by charging 1.100 more.

definitely right buy metal strap add nato (plain grey if you want the military way) as an extra

I am torn between shelling out £7k for this or keeping my vintage SM300 on mesh and just letting it age.

The issue I have with this new Bond watch is it’s an SMP but they seem to be passing this watch off as a military issue tool watch (with the crows foot and serial numbers on the back). If so like my SM300 it would be better served with broad arrow hands and serrated bezel not escaloped (a real requirement for diving or when wearing gloves). If it had been close to the black SMP of yester year I may have been sold.

I will wait to see it in person but may get the Ti mesh for my TI PO’s to mix it up a bit.

From a practical perspective my be a challenge wearing it with anything other than Bond cosplay - what the hell does it go with?

Cheers  ajb007/bond

My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!

I love this watch, absolutely love it, but at that price point, not going to happen especially if it’s going to look aged with time. Hopefully the price will drop as it’s loses its lustre...

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

I have a special birthday next year and it's a toss up between a rolex sub no date £5750 or this watch at £7k, the real military storyline is with rolex tbh and these were issued with the broadarrow and stores numbers. My colleague in fact has one and it's now woth in the region of 12k

shilton125 wrote:

I have a special birthday next year and it's a toss up between a rolex sub no date £5750 or this watch at £7k, the real military storyline is with rolex tbh and these were issued with the broadarrow and stores numbers. My colleague in fact has one and it's now woth in the region of 12k

I’d ask about the Rolex Submariner now if you wanted to buy one next year!
It’s a very good comparison though and logically, I’d go for the Submariner but they’re near impossible to find or buy from Rolex. This Omega makes the Rolex look like a bargain and it’s likely that the Sub will increase in value and I expect the Omega value to decrease.

As much as I (really do) like this watch, I think the price point is way too high, almost twice the price of what you could pick up a ‘normal’ Seamaster (with date function) for.

shilton125 wrote:

Uncle27 is correct.

If the decision is between this and a Rolex Sub, the only reply can be the Sub.
Supplies are tight on these, so you'd better order one now and hope that you receive yours for msrp at your AD by next year.
Can't hurt telling them, when your birthday exactly is.

Avoid big chain ADs, try to find a smaller privately owned AD. Waiting lines may be shorter.

thanks guys luckly I placed an order in February this year and the AD was pretty confident I would get one for just after Christmas. I do agree with you both that the rolex is the wag to go

Rolex, all the way for me too.

I was lucky when I bought mine a decade ago in that I put my name down with WoS and 2 successive names on their list had to pass so I had mine within 2 weeks...

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

I think someone might find this interesting...

So from set photos we’ve seen that the Seamaster Aqua Terra makes a return on Bonds wrist in Matera. Since the Aqua Terras update back in 2017, there have been two “true blue” dials available. A 41mm and a 38mm. The main difference is size but they weren’t identical. The 41mm version had the Seamaster and 15, 30, 45, 60 seconds font in blue. The 38mm has these details in white, similar to previous iterations e.g. the Skyfall watch.
These are the references and links:
38mm: 220.10.38.20.03.001 https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watc … 0382003001
41mm: 220.10.41.21.03.001 https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watc … 0412103001

Interestingly, omega has shuffled their page around. They’ve added a Khaki green dial for those who care but more importantly, another 41mm Blue dial. This one has the white accents and font. Basically a beefed up, identical 38mm with details more in line with the Skyfall and (more so) the Spectre watch.
Reference: 220.10.41.21.03.004 https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/watc … 0412103004

The reason this might matter is because a quick google of the new reference turns up a result that categorises the watch as not only James Bond but No time to die.
https://watchbase.com/omega/aqua-terra/ … -21-03-004

This could be a find or I could be speculating a load of rubbish. I’ll let you all decide since the set photos made it seem like the date position was at 3 rather than the new 6. I was intrigued because the only thing holding me back from the original 41mm was that blue font. But now I don’t know whether I should save and wait for the new 300m.

- Adam

shilton125 wrote:

NTTD Omega is nice and to be fair stands out against some of the other Bond watches IMO. However, this isn't a LE and will likely devalue once the excitement settles so arguably you may be able to snag one in the near future for under £6500 which is closer to its price IMO, although not fully there yet.

Sub or this, again a simple one - Sub! I have one as a daily and wouldn't change it for the world. The non-date is classic Bond and I think of Bond and Rolex personally and the Sub is second to none as a daily.

IF you are able to get at retail, IF, then the Sub is a bargain in comparison. Although i do like the NTTD Seamaster for a number of reasons, the Sub is for me. Only going to increase in value and timeless, opposed to some Omega's which get reincarnated every few years with LE's or special editions the Sub is iconic  ajb007/martini

Last edited by JG007 (17th Dec 2019 10:09)

shilton125 wrote:

thanks guys luckly I placed an order in February this year and the AD was pretty confident I would get one for just after Christmas. I do agree with you both that the rolex is the wag to go

Rumor has it that there will be an 8% increase by January, so if you can get the Sub now, don‘t wait.

Judging from this image, is Nomi who wears the new Omega with the nato strap. Even though when in tactical suit she seems to wear another watch
https://i.postimg.cc/ns642nnq/EMxv-M2-ZXs-AEapq-N.jpg

Interesting...so it is SA, just (possibly) 007 and not Bond! Good spot!