Barbour Beacon is available for as low as $252

Just came across this....
https://www.endclothing.com/us/barbour-beacon-sports-jacket-mwx0007ol71.html?awc=17185_1575832417_1f52c86fcb375acb868c6c1796cadcae&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Dappered+LLC

And apparently there is another 20% off at checkout. If that expired...still, 315 is not bad for a $745 jacket.

I already have mine but just wanted to share.

Comments

• Hart008Hart008 Posts: 710MI6 Agent
    Thanks , this is nt SA but a second replica of the sa one right?

https://www.endclothing.com/us/barbour-beacon-sports-jacket-mwx0007ol71.html?awc=17185_1575832417_1f52c86fcb375acb868c6c1796cadcae&utm_source=awin&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Dappered+LLC

And apparently there is another 20% off at checkout. If that expired...still, 315 is not bad for a $745 jacket.

Yes i did ride the CAT
  • CommanderBCommanderB San FranciscoPosts: 87MI6 Agent
    Hart008 wrote:
    Thanks , this is nt SA but a second replica of the sa one right?

I just pulled the trigger on this deal (the extra 20% expired literally minutes before I did). The jacket is a second replica, but it's pretty much SA except for the windbreaker flap at the chest which I understand was on the SA version, and a button or two that I believe was removed in the SA version but that are still on this one. Since I'm wearing it and not holding as a collectable, that doesn't bother me; practically there's no visual difference between this and the screen version. It's great and I'm glad I finally picked one up.
    “What is your occupation?”
    “That’s not the sort of thing that looks good on a form."
  • hcantrellhcantrell CharlottePosts: 170MI6 Agent
    I also pulled the trigger on this deal this morning and honestly this is my first big Bond purchase. I’m just out of college and it was a pretty sizable investment for me but I believe it was a logical time to buy this type of item. Thanks for posting the deal and here’s to hoping it fits right. I sized up because I know it runs tight in the chest and shoulders and the waist can always be taken in. If it doesn’t I can always return it or exchange for a medium. I’m very excited/anxious because I just spent $315 dollars on a jacket, but it’s high quality and has lasting value in the Bond community so I think it’s a good buy.
    "I don't think the dead care about vengeance."
  • SamFSamF Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    While I'm not going to buy the jacket from this sale I might pull the trigger in the future so I'm interested in the sizing of this. I understood it is rather difficult fit. I'm 172 cm (5'8") with ~100 cm (39") chest so I believe I should be taking a size medium on this since I reckon the chest was on an extremely small side in these? But then again the sleeves and the actual length of the jacket might be too long in the medium. But at least the sleeves should be fairly easy to tailor to fit. Anyone with similar stats dare to comment on this? As a reference, I'm wearing a size small in BR peacoat and medium in Royale's harrington and Mr. White jacket.
  • Visceral007Visceral007 PA, United StatesPosts: 14MI6 Agent
    Ordered one yesterday from the sale. Went for an XL, I'm about 6'1" with a 42" chest and broader shoulders from lifting. I fear I may end up needing to return for a large but we shall see when it arrives Thursday.

The difference in size chart between the End Clothing site and Aphrodite is staggering. Hoping the End Clothing one ends up being more accurate.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    SamF wrote:
    While I'm not going to buy the jacket from this sale I might pull the trigger in the future so I'm interested in the sizing of this. I understood it is rather difficult fit. I'm 172 cm (5'8") with ~100 cm (39") chest so I believe I should be taking a size medium on this since I reckon the chest was on an extremely small side in these? But then again the sleeves and the actual length of the jacket might be too long in the medium. But at least the sleeves should be fairly easy to tailor to fit. Anyone with similar stats dare to comment on this? As a reference, I'm wearing a size small in BR peacoat and medium in Royale's harrington and Mr. White jacket.

Sounds about right - I had a medium and then purchased a small after losing some weight, so I have experience with both sizes - The sleeves were altered both times, which a good tailor can do.
  • goneontheroadgoneontheroad Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    Awesome! I’m glad you guys were able to capitalize. I’m 5’10” 175 with a 42” chest. And i did a large and it fits perfectly.
    When mine gets here I'll comment on the fit. I'm 6' and 190lbs. I wear medium shirts, sometimes small depending on how fitted I want the look to be. I usually take mediums in jacket and have a 31-32 waist. I decided to go with the Large because I have broad shoulders and chest. If I have room to return for a medium I will but I've heard these are super snug up top.
    hcantrell wrote:
    When mine gets here I'll comment on the fit. I'm 6' and 190lbs. I wear medium shirts, sometimes small depending on how fitted I want the look to be. I usually take mediums in jacket and have a 31-32 waist. I decided to go with the Large because I have broad shoulders and chest. If I have room to return for a medium I will but I've heard these are super snug up top.

Based on what you're saying it sounds like I'll be swapping my XL for an L as we are similar in size and I may actually be a few pounds lighter. I'll report back tomorrow when I can try it on.
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    These jackets are very snug in the shoulders. If you have broad shoulders you'll need to size up. Best check the size guide. -{
    hcantrell wrote:

Based on what you're saying it sounds like I'll be swapping my XL for an L as we are similar in size and I may actually be a few pounds lighter. I'll report back tomorrow when I can try it on.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
    So the XL fits my chest and shoulders perfectly but is about 1" too long in the sleeves (hits just at the base of my thumb as opposed to the bottom of my wrist). Barbour offers sleeve shortening on their website but the cost is pricey ($75 for the sleeve shortening plus $20 for return shipping). $95 seems steep given I only paid $315 for the jacket. As I've worn it today the sleeve length has started to grow on me but may try returning it for an L. Thoughts/suggestions?
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    I don't think the sleeve on the L is one inch shorter.
  • SamFSamF Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    So the XL fits my chest and shoulders perfectly but is about 1" too long in the sleeves (hits just at the base of my thumb as opposed to the bottom of my wrist). Barbour offers sleeve shortening on their website but the cost is pricey ($75 for the sleeve shortening plus $20 for return shipping). $95 seems steep given I only paid $315 for the jacket. As I've worn it today the sleeve length has started to grow on me but may try returning it for an L. Thoughts/suggestions?

I’d say if the XL fits chest and shoulders perfectly, keep it. Sleeve length is easy to alter to fit. Same can’t be said from the others. You can always let your local tailor make the adjustments to sleeve length and I bet it would be cheaper than what Barbour is asking for it.
    My Large came in the mail today. I will say the shoulders felt just about right, there was a little bit of room in the chest but the waist was too much room IMO. The sleeves were also a bit too long. I'm going to try it on a few more times before I return it but I think I'm going to go ahead an exchange for a medium.
    Well I decided just to return it since it costs $66 to ship it back. If I were to exchange it for a medium and it didn't fit perfectly I'd hate to shell out another $66 just to get my original $315 back. I guess this particular jacket just wasn't the Bond item meant for me. :#
  • MrDaltonMrDalton Posts: 62MI6 Agent
    I had a large but sold it last year. It fit in the shoulders and chest, but the waist area was like it was a size too large. I live in Florida so it didn’t get much wear anyway. So it was like a fitted Large up top and XL around the waist. Just a little bit of a weird fit. Never tried a medium. I’m 5’11” 175-180 lbs.
    I think it's one of those pieces where I'd really have to get it tailored to pull of a correct look. For that kind of money there's just other pieces I'd rather buy first. I don't have a ton to spend so I'm just going to get my refund and look for other Bond stuff.
    After wearing my XL for the weekend I have fallen in love with the jacket. Perfect for Northeast US weather before the real cold hits. I will probably have a tailor take in the waist just slightly and possibly shorten the sleeves at some point but the fit has been growing on me.
    I might actually purchase a medium, although if it’s too small I’m not paying the 66 bucks to return it. I’ll just hold onto it and sell it. I’d be shocked if I can’t at least get what I paid for out of it, especially once the sale is over.
  • fleiterfleiter USPosts: 243MI6 Agent
    MrDalton wrote:
    I had a large but sold it last year. It fit in the shoulders and chest, but the waist area was like it was a size too large. I live in Florida so it didn’t get much wear anyway. So it was like a fitted Large up top and XL around the waist. Just a little bit of a weird fit. Never tried a medium. I’m 5’11” 175-180 lbs.

Same here, I had the large and the fit was exactly as you mentioned and while it was more comfortable in the chest/shoulders I ended up selling it here, and got myself a medium from End last week. It's definitely snug under the armpits but the sleeves are perfect length and for sure looks better. I know I could have tailored my old one but seeing it for this price I thought I'll try the medium and see how it fits.

Also for reference, I'm 5’11”, 175lbs and 41" chest.
    Yeah I ended up ordering a medium as well. If this one doesn't work, I'll just hold onto it and sell it later, no way am I paying another 66 bucks to ship it back like I did with the Large.
    The Medium arrived today and wow I'm glad I gave it a try. I think I'll enjoy wearing this jacket a lot. It's snug but not too tight in the chest and shoulder and the waist is much less billowy and the sleeve length is much more manageable. I don't even think I'll need to alter it except maybe if I want the waist taken in a tad and the sleeves shortened a little. Definitely something I'll wait and see about. Great value for this nice of a piece and I'm so glad that someone saw this deal and shared it with his fellow Bond fans. Cheers sir!!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    To be honest with this jacket it's not the fit that I ever found to be a problem (it's an outdoor jacket so it's not supposed to fit like a tailored suit jacket) but whatever it is they line it with. It doesn't allow you to breathe at all and it's much like wearing a plastic bag: you'll happily be wandering around it and then when it comes to taking it off you'll discover with horror that the inside is dripping with sweat you didn't even know you were producing! :) And as it's not a hugely warm jacket you can't really wear it in chilly enough conditions where you don't sweat... Add to that it doesn't even seem terribly waterproof! I've worn it in the rain and found the rain has penetrated it (although I guess that may have been the sweat!). It doesn't really work as a jacket you can wear often as there are so many situations where it just doesn't work.
    I do still rather like it though as it looks great :)
  • km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    Just ordered one of these.. sized up from normal Barbour size as I have seen recommended (ordered XL). For reference I am 6’3”, 42” chest and 180-190lb. Based on what I’ve deciphered here, those that sized up may need to suppress the waist a little.. I can deal with that if shoulder, chest and sleeves are good. Fingers crossed.. I’ve wanted this piece since watching Skyfall in the theater.

If this one works out, I guess an Npeal sweater will be in order around tax time.. :))
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    To be honest with this jacket it's not the fit that I ever found to be a problem (it's an outdoor jacket so it's not supposed to fit like a tailored suit jacket) but whatever it is they line it with. It doesn't allow you to breathe at all and it's much like wearing a plastic bag: you'll happily be wandering around it and then when it comes to taking it off you'll discover with horror that the inside is dripping with sweat you didn't even know you were producing! :) And as it's not a hugely warm jacket you can't really wear it in chilly enough conditions where you don't sweat... Add to that it doesn't even seem terribly waterproof! I've worn it in the rain and found the rain has penetrated it (although I guess that may have been the sweat!). It doesn't really work as a jacket you can wear often as there are so many situations where it just doesn't work.

I have to agree - I've always held off buying one as it's a 'boil in the bag' jacket; doesn't breathe at all and you get very wet from the inside out.....not pleasant!
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,686MI6 Agent
    Yes to be honest if I’m going to be outside I’m much more likely to wear my trusty Penfield padded jacket: it’s lined with duck feathers so it’s incredibly warm when you need to be but surprisingly not boiling if the temperature goes up: and I’ve never sweated in it like I do in the Barbour!
    Like some of these other things (watches for example!) spending more doesn’t actually get you better functionality, which would be fine if these items didn’t pride themselves on being better at doing technical jobs.
  • DB6DB6 EnglandPosts: 1,196MI6 Agent
    Sizing seems tricky on these; at 5’8”, 39” chest, 31” waist, athletic build (gym, swim, weights etc) - medium seems right across the shoulders and chest. Any thoughts from owners?
    My name has changed! I’m no longer dufus......now I’m DB6
    I’d go medium
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    edited January 2020
    emtiem wrote:

This pretty much summarises the Barbour / Wax Cotton jackets up.

They are useless in almost every aspect and have been since the 40/50's when they came about. They offer virtually no protection, insulation from outside elements and they usually stink to high heaven due to the wax and dirt built up as no one washes them as you wash the character away, much like Selvedge denim.

My dad used to ride with one back in the 70's, he likes to tell me they were s-hit-e then and they are s-hit-e now. But they do look good :)) I have the Tokito in small and it's a little tight (same sizing as DB6) I might get the medium as a back up and keep the Tokito for preservation purposes. I also have an original Barbour Trialmaster from late 60's and it's by far a much better looking jacket with way more character but it's unwearable due to the smell. I might have to wash it which will be a shame.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Posts: 333MI6 Agent
    DB6 wrote:
    Sizing seems tricky on these; at 5’8”, 39” chest, 31” waist, athletic build (gym, swim, weights etc) - medium seems right across the shoulders and chest. Any thoughts from owners?

My recommendation would be to for a Medium. As we're the same size, and assuming it's the same pattern as the Tokito, the small will be great with just a t-shirt under it but if you want to wear any type of jumper it will be tight to the point of almost being unwearable, especially around the armpits.