Royale Filmwear vs Magnoli - (Altaussee jacket size medium Wanted)

Hi all,

New user so be gentle, been aware of the forum for a while and long since known it as a great resource for all things Bond.

I've now decided to take the plunge and join in.

Though this has mostly been driven by a desire to get my hands on a replica Altaussee/"Mr. White" jacket.

I'm curious to know if anyone has experience with Magnoli and/or has purchased their iteration of the Altaussee jacket?

Currently it's the only option I can see available as the Royale filmwear one, which has been recommended to me, is out of stock in my size - medium.

Would appreciate suggestions/reviews of either and offers of a jacket for sale.

Cheers!
Yes but my martini's still dry.

Comments

• FerinstalFerinstal North of Londinium...Posts: 310MI6 Agent
    edited December 2019
    Firstly, welcome to the board!

Can’t help with the Magnoli model, but I do have a Royale in medium that I rarely wear, so if you’d be interested in it, please PM me and I’m sure we can sort something out. I’m in the UK as well :)

[Quick Edit] It appears mine is a Large! Was the advice to size up on these gents? I’m 6’2; 40” chest; 32” waist and pretty much take a medium in everything - but this fits really well, so I guess it all depends on what size you are Sir!

If QOS isn’t interested, then I guess I have a large in the UK that I’d be good to let go if anybody wants it.
    Yes. Considerably.
  • QuantumofSolangeQuantumofSolange UKPosts: 133MI6 Agent
    Ferinstal wrote:

Can’t help with the Magnoli model, but I do have a Royale in medium that I rarely wear, so if you’d be interested in it, please PM me and I’m sure we can sort something out. I’m in the UK as well :)

[Quick Edit] It appears mine is a Large! Was the advice to size up on these gents? I’m 6’2; 40” chest; 32” waist and pretty much take a medium in everything - but this fits really well, so I guess it all depends on what size you are Sir!

If QOS isn’t interested, then I guess I have a large in the UK that I’d be good to let go if anybody wants it.

Hi Ferinstal,

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Hmm, I think I might be out in that case. I'm often medium and small in most items of clothing and can get away with sizing down to small if I want a slightly more fitted look. Having looked at Royale's size guide and Bond Experience review medium should be correct. Though I'd appreciate any feedback regarding sizing I'm 5'11, medium build but broad shouldered.

Nonetheless, thanks for the offer.
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    I had both, and sent the Magnoli one back as the sizing was way off. I would recommend the Royale Filmware, the color and feel was much better IMO.
    I had both, and sent the Magnoli one back as the sizing was way off. I would recommend the Royale Filmware, the color and feel was much better IMO.

Thanks, good to know. I'm getting the impression Royale is the favoured option. Now I just need to find one for sale!

I've messaged Daniel at Royale in vain hope they have a medium left.
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    Daniel's stuff is worth waiting for.
    Daniel's stuff is worth waiting for.

Is the man himself on ajb007?
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,324MI6 Agent
    He is, but he's not a constant presence :))
  • MFisherMFisher Posts: 745MI6 Agent
    Definitely grab a Royale if you can... I actually are mine last night.. really great piece and the look and feel is perfect.
  • ThomoThomo ReadingPosts: 949MI6 Agent
    I'd agree I have a few Royale pieces which are all great. Saying that heard great reports about Magnoli too, although no personal experience.
    Thanks chaps.

It seems Daniel and the jacket are proving elusive so I suspect I will have to wait a while longer.

Would love to have it for winter though!
    Ferinstal wrote:

I've PM'd you Ferinstal.

Secondly any other owners here of a Royale, can you advise on size? If you're usually a medium did you size up, what chest size are you etc?

Thanks
  • SamFSamF Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    I have the Royale one in size medium. I’m 173 cm (5’8”) with ~100 cm (39”) chest. I’d say the medium is the best size for me, the jacket fits perfectly on the chest and waist, maybe a tad bit too big on the shoulders since I have rather narrow shoulder line. But then again the small would have been too small everywhere else. Naturally, the sleeves were altered since they were too long.

Depending on your chest and other measurements I think you could get away with large especially if you are broad shouldered since in my opinion the jacket is quite slim for a medium, atleast in chest and waist area.

All in all, very happy with look and quality of the jacket.
  • Fred007Fred007 Posts: 466MI6 Agent
    Ferinstal wrote:

I've PM'd you Ferinstal.

Secondly any other owners here of a Royale, can you advise on size? If you're usually a medium did you size up, what chest size are you etc?

Thanks

I always used Dan's website size chart when I bought from him and I (he) never went wrong. The measurements are really accurate on that size guide....and of course, the quality is top notch....really amazing "replicas" !!
  • Mmpu97Mmpu97 Posts: 55MI6 Agent
    If someone is selling this jacket i would like to buy.. my measures are : chest 38 inch shoulder-17 inch sleeves 27 inch. Please message me if anyone is selling . Kind regards
  • SeanbondSeanbond Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I have one of these in size small that I'm willing to sell.
    I chose to foolishly disregard the sizing info and didn't size up.

Fits me, just but I look like a sausage being sucked through a straw. :))
    I stay in the uk so due to shipping and importing costs there's no point in trying to return it.

Has been tried on once, literally brand new.

2019 version.

Thanks
  • kmrbmt216akmrbmt216a North Carolina USAPosts: 6MI6 Agent
    I've had several great experiences with both Magnoli and Royale. I've purchased a made-to-measure Goldfinger suit from Magnoli and he and I collaborated on a set of Spectre Altausee gloves to match the jacket you reference. I prefer jackets from Magnoli simply because he does them made-to-measure. I print off his sheet of measurements, take them to my tailor who pulls the tape and then enter them into my account under measurements. I update them if it's been more than 6 months since my last order. I lift weights and exercise almost daily so my shoulders and chest especially have broadened and required some re-fitting at times. The Altausee jacket is one of my go-tos in the dead of winter and is a perfect fit. If I order from Dan at Royale, I learned to always size WAY up due to what he explained to be "vanity sizing" in the US. Normally, I would take a large or XL in the US due mainly to my fitness routine. However, in European sizing, with both his and Magnoli's clothes, I'm a solid XXL or even XXXL if the item is really fitted. You won't go wrong getting your measurements done and doing made-to-measure with Magnoli. It is evidently easier for him to source the material needed for a screen accurate look so he doesn't tend to have the limited quantities that Royale does.

Hope this helps!