76

Re: Vintage Bond Props

ACACIA_AVENUE wrote:

Agree, nice link  ajb007/martini

I suspect the photo is part of a magazine advert, no idea what it was advertising though.

The notch lapel dinner jacket (and, to a less definite degree, Connery's hair) place it around the time of Goldfinger.

77

Re: Vintage Bond Props

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
ACACIA_AVENUE wrote:

Agree, nice link  ajb007/martini

I suspect the photo is part of a magazine advert, no idea what it was advertising though.

The notch lapel dinner jacket (and, to a less definite degree, Connery's hair) place it around the time of Goldfinger.

Thanks, so inbetween Dr No and Goldfinger basically (FRWL also), hmmm.

78

Re: Vintage Bond Props

The briefcase from FRWL is in the photo, so it's after FRWL. I also believe the Rolex on the NATO is sitting on the table, and I don't think the NATO was in play before Goldfinger.

79

Re: Vintage Bond Props

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

I also believe the Rolex on the NATO is sitting on the table, and I don't think the NATO was in play before Goldfinger.

I actually took that to be Red Grant's watch but who knows.

80

Re: Vintage Bond Props

https://i.postimg.cc/P5KjRn5T/lecerc-plaque.jpg

https://www.bondsuits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Goldfinger-Black-Dinner-Suit.jpg

There's no notch lapel dinner jacket in FRWL. Those might even be the same curtains behind him?

81

Re: Vintage Bond Props

That is a wonderfully strange photo, agreed. As others have said, I would guess it's from some magazine editorial or something like that- maybe a Playboy or the like.
I feel like Sean might be looking slightly more FRWL-ish...? Very hard to tell though, although I guess the rug would have been different between the two movies.

Last edited by emtiem (11th Oct 2020 15:57)

82

Re: Vintage Bond Props

After a bit of research and contacting a reliable source, I have discovered the following:
The image appeared in The Daily Mail newspaper at some point in 1963 to promote 'From Russia With Love', the young lady behind Sean Connery is Carol White who later appeared in many well known 60's films, I think it is safe to say the location of this picture is Crockford's Gentlemen's Club in London as the close up picture of the plaque shows it to be a £5,000 Crockford's Club plaque.

https://i.postimg.cc/MZMn6x9G/FRWL-casino-plaque.jpg

One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.

83

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Brilliant, well done and thanks.
That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the photo, Crockfords £5000 first set but was told that none were made so I digressed to the Thatched Barn as the logo is similar and it made more "sense".
Funnily enough I worked there (not at that time obviously) and trust me, the word Gentlemen didn't apply at the time I was there.
Thanks again, you're the man!!

Last edited by DrNoPlaques (12th Oct 2020 15:18)

84

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Excellent research!  ajb007/martini

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

85

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Very nice work! Did Sean wig up for many other promotional appearances?

86

Re: Vintage Bond Props

These plaques (at the top right of the screen) almost look like EON held over the Dr. No plaques.

https://i.postimg.cc/87vBKwfw/Capture.jpg

Visit Cairo's TSWLM locations and explore our upcoming Double O Seven Fan Conventions!

87

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Bond Collectors' Weekends wrote:

These plaques (at the top right of the screen) almost look like EON held over the Dr. No plaques.

https://i.postimg.cc/87vBKwfw/Capture.jpg

What year is that from? I'd be surprised if they did but it's possible although the white edges look too "thick"

Thanks to all that bought some of the plaques and whilst I'd like to keep offering them I think it is time to stop now.
I have only ever wanted the buyers to be happy but have found somebody who isn't and that's a shame and so, that's it.
Some of the top grade ones are still on ebay but the lower grade ones are being taken off.
Hope you all have a great year and let's hope 2021 is a heck of a lot better.

88

Re: Vintage Bond Props

That still is from Diamonds Are Forever - 1971.

Someone will always grumble. These plaques you've found are grail-level items in this field and I hope you change your mind and make the various quality grades available to folks, it gives these pieces of history an accessibility to them. In any event, as a happy customer of yours I thank you for your service!

89

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Thanks, for the info and the happy customer part.
I can't imagine the casino would have let them have them for so long and the chips don't look the same either but still, possible I suppose.
It looks like he's trying to turn me over by using the system as he's making it hard to deal with him.
Not as described for 4 different lots!? Photos show the warp and the smell is also mentioned so there must be another reason to do what he's doing. Now he's giving me flannel about returning them quoting a ridiculous amount hoping I'll just give up and let him have them with refund from that popular auction site I use (I believe anyway).
There's always one  I know but..................

90

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Get in contact with EBay and tell them. They are very good and will advise the best course of action.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

91

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Thanks, I have spoken to them a few times already as the person is trying to get me to pay almost $400 for return postage by insisting ebay say they have to be sent back in 4 packages as opposed to just the 1 they were sent in and that only FedEx do end to end tracking from the US. Ebay tell me that that is untrue but they are insisting and I think USPS do E2E Tracking (but could be wrong). I disagreed with their "not described" claims but don't want anybody to be unhappy (or have to get into an argument about it either) so agreed to refund when received back, plus there wasn't an option to dispute their claim anyway. I also expect they'd damage them to show not as described so it's not looking good I'm sorry to say. I just think they are "trying their luck" to be honest and it was planned at the start. There's always 1 I know but still...............Hope all is good with you. Take care.

Last edited by DrNoPlaques (11th Nov 2020 00:15)

92

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Just record everything and make sure you have the lot pictures.  If the buyer is being overly unreasonable as it looks, then ebay and PP will see that too.  Despite what people say, the buyer doesn’t hold all the cards in these cases with EBay and PayPal.

..................http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77/darkcrown_1969/Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............

93

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Thanks, I hope so.
As you may remember I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to making sure the prospective buyer is as happy as can be with copious amounts of photos and way too much information so I have the photos and descriptions to verify the condition they were in when sent so I can only hope that ebay will be helpful although I think the best I can hope for is that they see I'm genuine (as are my listings) and not refund them the money they paid but they'll probably get to keep the items and ebay refund them. I've only had 1 other return opened if I remember rightly (out of over 2000 overall sales) so I'd like to think that will hold me in good stead. The 4 negative feedbacks I'll just have to live with. Thanks again for the comments, look after yourself.

94

Re: Vintage Bond Props

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/P5KjRn5T/lecerc-plaque.jpg

https://www.bondsuits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Goldfinger-Black-Dinner-Suit.jpg

There's no notch lapel dinner jacket in FRWL. Those might even be the same curtains behind him?

This dinner suit might be the one he wore to the Dr. No premiere made by Maxwell Vine, or it could be the one he wears in Woman of Straw. This suit has gauntlet cuffs, which the Goldfinger dinner jacket does not have.

95

Re: Vintage Bond Props

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

That still is from Diamonds Are Forever - 1971.

Someone will always grumble. These plaques you've found are grail-level items in this field and I hope you change your mind and make the various quality grades available to folks, it gives these pieces of history an accessibility to them. In any event, as a happy customer of yours I thank you for your service!

Same here Garin, I’m getting the plaques framed as soon as I have the courage to leave the house and will post pics.

All the best with the eBay con artist by the way, sounds like a complete [foghorn] to me...

Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".

96

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Thanks mate, he'll probably get away with it too but hey, what can you do?
I look forward to seeing the pics.
Hope all is well, take care and have fun.

97

Re: Vintage Bond Props

So sorry to hear of the problem you're having. Certainly NOT deserved. You've helped a lot of us add quite a unique piece of Bond history to our collections. Hope all turns out well.

98

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Matt S wrote:
HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/P5KjRn5T/lecerc-plaque.jpg

https://www.bondsuits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Goldfinger-Black-Dinner-Suit.jpg

There's no notch lapel dinner jacket in FRWL. Those might even be the same curtains behind him?

This dinner suit might be the one he wore to the Dr. No premiere made by Maxwell Vine, or it could be the one he wears in Woman of Straw. This suit has gauntlet cuffs, which the Goldfinger dinner jacket does not have.

Great catch, Matt!

99

Re: Vintage Bond Props

Can't seem to delete so................

Last edited by DrNoPlaques (29th Nov 2020 23:55)

100

Re: Vintage Bond Props

As above..............
Hope all are well.

Last edited by DrNoPlaques (29th Nov 2020 23:56)