Jack's back!!

So Royal Doulton announced they're bringing Jack the Bulldog back, as apparently it (he?) comes back for an encore in NTtD. I'm guessing that it will be essentially identical to the SPECTRE one (apart from the box), which I missed. Seeing as prices for second hand ones have soared, I'm thinking of getting one this time around. I do own the Skyfall one and it's a favourite. Does anybody who owns the SPECTRE one have any insight thereon? Thank you.
"Enjoy it while it lasts."
"The very words I live by."

Comments

• Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,341MI6 Agent
    It’s a nice collectible and if you don’t have the Spectre one then this is likely a more cost effective option.

I have both the Spectre and Skyfall ones so doubt I’ll pick up the NTTD version if it’s the same as the Spectre one. Sounds like a bit of exploitative marketing of an older product to me.
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,150MI6 Agent
    Pre-ordered this yesterday as I didn't have either from SF or SP. I'm guessing it'll be seen in Bond's Jamaican villa.
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,483MI6 Agent
    Looks like they’re using porcelain for this edition. The SF and SP versions were bone china.

It would be nice if they made the eyes more accurate for this edition. The ageing and damage applied to the SP version was near perfect. Just let down by the eyes.

Really glad it’s coming back for NTTD, it one of my favourite props.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Pre-ordered this yesterday as I didn't have either from SF or SP. I'm guessing it'll be seen in Bond's Jamaican villa.

Where did you do that??
  • Quentin QuigleyQuentin Quigley Terminal One, Hamburg AirportPosts: 1,150MI6 Agent
    JTM - Right here, mate:

007store.com

https://007store.com/collections/no-time-to-die-new-james-bond-movie/products/no-time-to-die-jack-bulldog

I've already bought the NTTD thermos, leather card holder and mug. They keep adding new NTTD merch all the time.
    Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
  • UNCLE27UNCLE27 EnglandPosts: 1,114MI6 Agent
    £65 to pre-order.
    And somebody on eBay is already offering a chance to pre-order for £155! :o
    Nice profit if people take them up on this tempting offer.
    JTM - Right here, mate:

007store.com

https://007store.com/collections/no-time-to-die-new-james-bond-movie/products/no-time-to-die-jack-bulldog

I've already bought the NTTD thermos, leather card holder and mug. They keep adding new NTTD merch all the time.

Ahh right, probably should’ve been the first place I checked. Cheers QQ
  • Fastball SpecialFastball Special Posts: 66MI6 Agent
    Sold out in the US store of course. Thanks eBay flippers.
    Perpetually on the hunt for and WTB:
    Matchless Captain Civil War Jacket size Small
    Matchless Craig Blouson original ES of 700 size Small
    I wouldn’t worry, they’ll be readily available over the next few months.
    Apart from what it’s made out of, this version won’t look any different to the Spectre edition right? Surely old Jack hasn’t been through any more bomb blasts since Skyfall...
    The promo images look the same as the last edition. But maybe they’ll tweak it slightly so there is some difference. It would make sense commercially to do this as they’d get more sales.
    Or they’ll just flog the same looking dog in the new packaging...
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Well it’s just a Bulldog figure and unless he grows a set not much they can really do to make him unique for NTTD - less of course Bond gives him a moustache in a drunken state of revenge at Madeleine :))

So naturally owning SF and SP, I have ordered the NTTD version just to complete the set damn it.

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    edited February 2020
    Bond44 wrote:
    Well it’s just a Bulldog figure and unless he grows a set not much they can really do to make him unique for NTTD - less of course Bond gives him a moustache in a drunken state of revenge at Madeleine :))

So naturally owning SF and SP, I have ordered the NTTD version just to complete the set damn it.

Cheers :007)

I have a feeling that despite myself I’ll end up doing the same! ;)
    edited February 2020
    Weird. My posts keep automatically getting deleted on posting in this thread.

I’ll try it without the image.
    Well, they could sort those eyes out and make them more accurate. The blurb states that they are updating it to recreate all the lumps and bumps, which might be why they switched to porcelain. It’s also being handmade in England, whereas the first two versions weren’t. We shall see.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Weird. My posts keep automatically getting deleted on posting in this thread.

I’ll try it without the image.

I am glad that all my efforts have been successful and the ban finally works :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Enjoying DeathEnjoying Death Toronto, ON CANADAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    I own both and the obvious difference besides the boxes they come in, are how Jack looks which we all know so I won't go into detail.

What I'd like to know, besides the obvious box difference with this new one, what will differentiate it from the Spectre one? Does anyone know? To me it looks identical to the last one. Granted I haven't actually compared them. -{
    So Royal Doulton announced they're bringing Jack the Bulldog back, as apparently it (he?) comes back for an encore in NTtD. I'm guessing that it will be essentially identical to the SPECTRE one (apart from the box), which I missed. Seeing as prices for second hand ones have soared, I'm thinking of getting one this time around. I do own the Skyfall one and it's a favourite. Does anybody who owns the SPECTRE one have any insight thereon? Thank you.
    Pussy Galore: “My name is Pussy Galore.”
    Bond: “I must be dreaming.”
    No one has them in hand yet. So apart from the speculation I made above, we are yet to find out.
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Well, they could sort those eyes out and make them more accurate. The blurb states that they are updating it to recreate all the lumps and bumps, which might be why they switched to porcelain. It’s also being handmade in England, whereas the first two versions weren’t. We shall see.

Hi Asp..stupid question but is it just the painting of the eyes that’s inaccurate or is the mould or shape of the eyes different as well?

To me even the shape of the ears on the sale version looks more rounded....not sure if my eyes are deceiving me

07-C81-BBF-AA3-C-46-AB-9483-B29995-CDBAA7.jpg

B356-F659-F114-4811-9-A1-B-019-EEF9-FFA4-E.jpg
  • SkippySkippy Posts: 446MI6 Agent
    kadd wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:

Hi Asp..stupid question but is it just the painting of the eyes that’s inaccurate or is the mould or shape of the eyes different as well?

To me even the shape of the ears on the sale version looks more rounded....not sure if my eyes are deceiving me

07-C81-BBF-AA3-C-46-AB-9483-B29995-CDBAA7.jpg

B356-F659-F114-4811-9-A1-B-019-EEF9-FFA4-E.jpg

The difference you are seeing is for two possible reasons: 1) Angle of the image is different, so the ears look different and to me even the jaw area looks fatter 2) More likely explanation is the top picture is of the early 20th century vintage Jack used in production (with the damage painted on I think Asp stated some time ago in another thread) and the bottom picture obviously is the new version, which is understandably going to vary slightly from the vintage original.

I have the SF Jack (and a vintage Jack in the smallest size of the three originals) and I'm guessing the only real difference between the SP Jack and the NTTD one (other than the mentioned switch from china to porcelain), will be the NTTD logo on the bottom of this latest iteration.
    edited February 2020
    It’s a difficult question to answer as their are many variables involved.

The screen seen Jack is compromised of a few different variants. An original post WW1 Jack, and mostly resin castings taken from that original. They even reused the non cracked pre titles Jack later on in the box by adding the battle damage, and for sure had two backups that included the original WW1 version. And in SPECTRE, they recast new versions from the SF mould and added similar battle damage which differed very slightly from the SKYFALL versions. They only had one original Royal Doulton Jack which they recast from in resin. The eye pattern replicates the original WW1 Jacks as the WW2 issued Jacks had doughnut shaped faded eye application that looks like a ring.

The commercially available Royal Doulton Jack is cast off an original, but the later 1940’s one and it lacks the sharp detail of the original It’s a nice cast, but not sharp, so appears smoother overall that any of the vintage versions. The eye and Union Flag difference is purely down to them using transfers. The originals were hand painted. Nothing to do with the moulding.

The difference between the commercially available version:

SF. BONE CHINA, CLEAN - Bone white
    SP. EATHERNWARE, BATTLE DAMAGED - Darker base colour due to eathernware
    NTTD. PORCELAIN, BATTLE DAMAGED - Further details apart from packaging, unknown
  • km1fdmkm1fdm USAPosts: 211MI6 Agent
    Porcelain is cheaper to produce than bone China. Seems like just a cost saving change for Royal Doulton.
    km1fdm wrote:
    Porcelain is cheaper to produce than bone China. Seems like just a cost saving change for Royal Doulton.

They only used bone China in the SKYFALL release. SPECTRE was earthenware.
    edited February 2020
    17D6B75B-BDD1-4EA5-B42E-ABA5B375EF95_zpsqwxeiq9k.jpeg

This isn’t screen used, but a SF commercially released Jack modified by the artist that did the original SF Jacks.

This version is really precious to me above the screen used ones as soon after she died of cancer. It’s been on my desk since 2012.
    The difference in the ears is not an illusion. The commercial release does lack sharpness and detail, but not by much.
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    It’s a difficult question to answer as their are many variables involved.

The screen seen Jack is compromised of a few different variants. An original post WW1 Jack, and mostly resin castings taken from that original. They even reused the non cracked pre titles Jack later on in the box by adding the battle damage, and for sure had two backups that included the original WW1 version. And in SPECTRE, they recast new versions from the SF mould and added similar battle damage which differed very slightly from the SKYFALL versions. They only had one original Royal Doulton Jack which they recast from in resin. The eye pattern replicates the original WW1 Jacks as the WW2 issued Jacks had doughnut shaped faded eye application that looks like a ring.

The commercially available Royal Doulton Jack is cast off an original, but the later 1940’s one and it lacks the sharp detail of the original It’s a nice cast, but not sharp, so appears smoother overall that any of the vintage versions. The eye and Union Flag difference is purely down to them using transfers. The originals were hand painted. Nothing to do with the moulding.

The difference between the commercially available version:

SF. BONE CHINA, CLEAN - Bone white
    SP. EATHERNWARE, BATTLE DAMAGED - Darker base colour due to eathernware
    NTTD. PORCELAIN, BATTLE DAMAGED - Further details apart from packaging, unknown images

Wow thanks for sharing this information. Fascinating about the composition of the screen used Jack. I had no idea that so much work went into a prop like that.

And great photo of your modified Jack by the late artist. A special piece to treasure.

I don’t have the SF or SP Jack, but have preordered the NTTD version which I’m looking forward to displaying.