Future Bond Actor's Movie Count

eric7064eric7064 USAPosts: 343MI6 Agent
Since DC has become Bond, we will have 5 Bond movies in 14 years.

We had 3 movies from 2006-2012
We had 2 Movies from 2013-2020

How do we see future releases in the Bond franchise happening?

Granted, we will NEVER return to the years of getting a Bond movie every year. But will we ever have a Bond actor do 6+ movies again? Not likely with how long they take to make. Let's say the next Bond is aged 35 when his first film is out. On a 3 year cycle he will reach movie #5 at age 50. Crazy!!

I'd love to see them return to a HARD every 3 year Bond flick schedule. Obviously ALOT goes into making these films. Things happen. But damn, not a single Bond in almost 5 years AND it's the same actor. I personally think its inexcusable.

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,702MI6 Agent
    I wouldn't call the five year gap inexcusable, but it's very unfortunate. Such a long gap makes it harder to stay in the minds of the audience, especially young audience members. I'll use Bille Eilish as an example even though I'm pretty sure she's aware thre's a Bond movie this year. She's eighteen now, so she war THRITEEN when SPECTRE was in the cinemas. That's a very long time for someone that age and a lot happens in that time, including several Mission Impossible movies. EON must work hard to make Bond movies every three years, I think.
  • AugustWalkerAugustWalker Posts: 880MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    I wouldn't call the five year gap inexcusable, but it's very unfortunate. Such a long gap makes it harder to stay in the minds of the audience, especially young audience members. I'll use Bille Eilish as an example even though I'm pretty sure she's aware thre's a Bond movie this year. She's eighteen now, so she war THRITEEN when SPECTRE was in the cinemas. That's a very long time for someone that age and a lot happens in that time, including several Mission Impossible movies. EON must work hard to make Bond movies every three years, I think.

Not only that. Once upon a time, we got video games in between Bond pics to keep him in mind.
    Nowadays it really is „everything or nothing“... -{
    The name is Walker by the way.

IG: @thebondarchives
    Check it out, you won’t be disappointed :)
  • DavidJonesDavidJones BermondseyPosts: 253MI6 Agent
    edited February 2020
    I think it's inexcusable too.

Eon don’t use time their wisely and the current regime never have. They need a business plan, and aspire to release more films more regularly.

Otherwise, at the current pace, we’re going to get just six films in thirty years.

We would have had a nuclear apocalypse by then, with Eon filming a new movie on Greg Wilson’s iPhone and holding the premiere in a cave. And Bond will be played by Kim Jong-un.

It’s funny to think, but there will be teenagers watching No Time to Die who weren’t even born when Craig was cast. The future of the franchise belongs to them (at least, say, the next fifteen years of it) and yet these tall, hulking, car-driving (in America) high school sophomores get a sequel to a film which they weren’t allowed to see back when they were ten. Why would they be interested?

During the gap between LTK and GE, people thoughts Bond would never return and that the world had moved on. Now, that gap is the norm.

Two films in a decade. Sheesh...
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    DavidJones wrote:

Eon don’t use time their wisely and the current regime never have. They need a business plan, and aspire to release more films more regularly.

Otherwise, at the current pace, we’re going to get just six films in thirty years.

We would have had a nuclear apocalypse by then, with Eon filming a new movie on Greg Wilson’s iPhone and holding the premiere in a cave. And Bond will be played by Kim Jong-un.

It’s funny to think, but there will be teenagers watching No Time to Die who weren’t even born when Craig was cast. The future of the franchise belongs to them (at least, say, the next fifteen years of it) and yet these tall, hulking, car-driving (in America) high school sophomores get a sequel to a film which they weren’t allowed to see back when they were ten. Why would they be interested?

During the gap between LTK and GE, people thoughts Bond would never return and that the world had moved on. Now, that gap is the norm.

Check your maths. So far, EON has not made fewer than three films in a decade. The last I checked, Skyfall, Spectre and No Time to Die have been made in the span of a decade. We've had six films in the span of two decades.

But it's a good point considering how long Craig has been Bond. I think the younger generation isn't as much into Bond because they don't have their own Bond yet. Craig doesn't belong to Generation Z, he belongs to the younger Millennials, and older generations have adopted him. Gen Z needs their own Bond. I think part of the survival of the series is down to recasting the role for every generation. Now we've gone an entire generation without recasting Bond, and it's made the series stale.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    DavidJones wrote:

Check your maths. So far, EON has not made fewer than three films in a decade. The last I checked, Skyfall, Spectre and No Time to Die have been made in the span of a decade. We've had six films in the span of two decades.

Friend, I meant two films released in a decade, not made. (The decade being 2010-2019).
    DavidJones wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    DavidJones wrote:

Friend, I meant two films released in a decade, not made. (The decade being 2010-2019).

What I wrote still stands. Decades start at year 1, not at year 0. Also, decades are simply a span of 10 years. The names of the decades are arbitrary. You’re just looking to find fault where there isn’t any.
  • SilentSpySilentSpy Private Exotic AreaPosts: 765MI6 Agent
    Maybe if that Omega guy is right and the next Bond isn't till 2024. They will plan things for a good run of movies. But I don't think any actor will top the seven movies each from Connery and Moore. Unless they make a more realistic Bond series for TV. Then that actor will have a bunch of episodes. But I assume they want to keep Bond only in movies.
    "Better late than never."
    edited March 2020
    Matt S wrote:
    DavidJones wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

What I wrote still stands. Decades start at year 1, not at year 0. Also, decades are simply a span of 10 years. The names of the decades are arbitrary. You’re just looking to find fault where there isn’t any.

All right, we're all supposed to be friends here. Though there are many people who would consider this to be a new decade - look, for instance, to how the millennium was celebrated on New Year's Eve 1999 - to keep the peace I'll call it three films in a decade. Which is still not much, especially considering how we had three released in the second half of the '90s.
    DavidJones wrote:
    Matt S wrote:
    DavidJones wrote:

All right, there's no need to be terse. We're all supposed to be friends here, after all. Though there are many people who would consider this to be a new decade - look, for instance, to how the millennium was celebrated on New Year's Eve 1999 - to keep the peace I'll call it three films in a decade. Which is still not much, especially considered how we had three released in the second half of the '90s.

I apologies for that. The '90s still had the pace of the previous two decades after they started making films again. We certainly know that they're capable of doing more when there aren't any legal or financial problems. But sometimes it's just EON.

I completely agree with you that they need a business plan. Maybe they have one, but if so it's not a great one. It's not like what Marvel has done. EON needs that on a smaller scale.
    Matt S wrote:
    DavidJones wrote:
    Matt S wrote:

All right, there's no need to be terse. We're all supposed to be friends here, after all. Though there are many people who would consider this to be a new decade - look, for instance, to how the millennium was celebrated on New Year's Eve 1999 - to keep the peace I'll call it three films in a decade. Which is still not much, especially considered how we had three released in the second half of the '90s.

I apologies for that. The '90s still had the pace of the previous two decades after they started making films again. We certainly know that they're capable of doing more when there aren't any legal or financial problems. But sometimes it's just EON.

I completely agree with you that they need a business plan. Maybe they have one, but if so it's not a great one. It's not like what Marvel has done. EON needs that on a smaller scale.

Agreed. They were clearly keen to adopt Marvel's continuity model with Spectre, so hopefully they know Marvel also plan their films in advance (for the most part).

I wouldn't be surprised if Eon and MGM sell Bond after NTTD. If it's a major box office success - making, say, a billion dollars - that would prove the company's worth. Then we'd get more films as a studio would be making them, as opposed to a production company, and there would be no financial woes of the kind they currently suffer with MGM. A new, eager actor would help a lot too.

Even if they don't sell, I'm reasonably positive about the future of the series. Gaps aside, it's in great health. I didn't like Skyfall at all (Craig is my least favourite Bond as well), but I was and remain absolutely thrilled that it was such an enormous hit. Most of the stuff I like is old and long since over, so it's nice to follow something which is so ongoing.