Re: Orlebar Brown 007 2020 Collection

OB taking the piss IMO! Just look at the linen jacket with what appears to be plastic buttons! No horn or MOP buttons on a jacket to me means low quality, sorry!

I think you're better off buying one of their non-Bond items (really like the Laughton and the Mallory), or a pair of swim trunks obviously, using Ross's generous 15% off coupon.

Peakey wrote:

OB taking the piss IMO! Just look at the linen jacket with what appears to be plastic buttons! No horn or MOP buttons on a jacket to me means low quality, sorry!

Think you’re right. Also: why not do the suit? Shows very clearly what the piece is based on.

JB1106340 wrote:
Peakey wrote:

Think you’re right. Also: why not do the suit? Shows very clearly what the piece is based on.

Sean Connery's Bond suits also had plastic buttons. The buttons on the OB suit are very nice buttons and have a quality feel IMHO. The only thing I don't like is that they branded the buttons. And they did the suit, they're just selling the jacket and trousers separately for better sizing.

JB1106340 wrote:
Peakey wrote:

Well you can buy the trousers on there separately can't you? But not, as you say, a suit: presumably because they can charge you more if you buy all the bits separately!

It’s not a bad collection, but it’s not great either. I’ll probably pass as I prefer OB’s terry cloth stuff, and they didn’t include any of it here.

As for the prices, frankly I found N Peal’s prices more irritating. Cashmere is so delicate that it’s almost impossible for me to justify. I’ve owned the Skyfall sweater for several years. Have worn it less than 10 times and it’s already starting to pill significantly. I’d rather pay the same price for one of OB’s pieces and wear the hell out of it. My Skyfall sweater just collects dust in the cedar chest.

Matt S wrote:
JB1106340 wrote:
Peakey wrote:

Sean Connery's Bond suits also had plastic buttons. The buttons on the OB suit are very nice buttons and have a quality feel IMHO. The only thing I don't like is that they branded the buttons. And they did the suit, they're just selling the jacket and trousers separately for better sizing.

Matt, yes I know but those buttons were common for the period. The branding on the buttons cheapens the whole thing for me, and I think they should be using the best in this day and age rather than the cheapest option if, indeed, they are plastic buttons!

Initially I was interested in the suit but a lot of the details seem to be off. I understand they don't want to sell something cut like it's from the 70s. But all we're really left with is the color. And I can buy something better from Zegna or Caruso. But I did buy a pair of the Thunderball trunks. More motivation to not skip leg day.

What Bothers me and do Not know if thats the same for others here is that these are far away from really having anything to do with the actual piece. From the previous Collection you could really tell what Bond piece these were. These are so much free Style Interpretation and so less iconic That the only real Bond connection is the 007 Label for which you get Charged twice the price.

A side from the long awaited thunderball striped shirt, nothing is iconic about this run.

I recommend for Orlebar Brown to do a re-issue of the most iconic pieces and keep them in stock around the year.

As they don't seem to be too bothered about screen-accurate, I might well buy a recreation of the awesome Lotus 007 crew jackets from FYEO! I love them ajb007/smile

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5caed8960cf57d49530e8c60/1572106085973-TQXOS3QKOFGU5Q4F09K9/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kH12H_EdUeZY-Tvv_svcNx9Zw-zPPgdn4jUwVcJE1ZvWQUxwkmyExglNqGp0IvTJZamWLI2zvYWH8K3-s_4yszcp2ryTI0HqTOaaUohrI8PI4AEFf-Jlj0yHs2ru3Hd-GQga4EnrFO4bxXsJo1lTp14KMshLAGzx4R3EDFOm1kBS/art-mg-lotusespritturbofyeo4.jpg

Thought the FYEO t-shirt looked good, then saw the price  ajb007/lol

Double0zero wrote:

A side from the long awaited thunderball striped shirt, nothing is iconic about this run.

I recommend for Orlebar Brown to do a re-issue of the most iconic pieces and keep them in stock around the year.

I'd like to see the same. They'll still make $$$ from those best sellers, and fans will be much happier to purchase.

Double0zero wrote:

I agree, the striped shirt was what I was waiting for and it arrived today. Very nice shirt to be fair.

JB1106340 wrote:
Double0zero wrote:

I agree, the striped shirt was what I was waiting for and it arrived today. Very nice shirt to be fair.

That one and the dark blue linen shirt (also from TB) are really the only ones that I might get, especially at the current pricing.  I'm considering the MR half zip and the MWTGG white shirt.  I'm honestly going to probably wait for these to go on sale, though...as I said in an earlier post, I think most of these items are going to have full size runs available when they eventually go on sale.  There's really no MUST HAVE item here at all.

Current rankings:
OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>YOLT>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>OP>DN>
TWINE>TND>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton

The Moonraker sweater and TMWTGG shirt would both be better with a larger collar. For a company willing to go all in on a terry cloth onesie, they really chickened out on the collars.

Miles Messervy wrote:

The Moonraker sweater and TMWTGG shirt would both be better with a larger collar. For a company willing to go all in on a terry cloth onesie, they really chickened out on the collars.

I completely agree. I know it's just meant to be their "take" on the screen worn items, but they could have made an attempt to get closer with the collar...yes the collar on the actual MR polo is very 70’s (massive) and it probably wouldn’t have been fashionable to go that large with the repro, but OB could have made there’s a little bigger. Scrolling through the images on the MR knit polo's product page and seeing the actual polo next to OB's makes the difference really obvious. Also, small and thin knit collars like that generally go to s**t (edges get all wavy) after a short amount of time, even with careful washing.

https://i.postimg.cc/7C74QWBk/IMG-2900.jpg

Annd there's also no pocket on OB's...but I'm willing to forgive that.

Last edited by JTM (10th Jun 2020 03:35)

JTM wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:

I completely agree. I know it's just meant to be their "take" on the screen worn items, but they could have made an attempt to get closer with the collar...yes the collar on the actual MR polo is very 70’s (massive) and it probably wouldn’t have been fashionable to go that large with the repro, but OB could have made there’s a little bigger. Scrolling through the images on the MR knit polo's product page and seeing the actual polo next to OB's makes the difference really obvious. Also, small and thin knit collars like that generally go to s**t (edges get all wavy) after a short amount of time, even with careful washing.

Roger's shirt is a proper shirt made of a cotton or cotton/poly jersey knit. It is constructed like a shirt rather than a polo, so it can take a large collar. OB went the more accessible approach of making it a wool polo-sweater. It's an entirely different type of piece that wouldn't work with a larger collar. For a collar that large it needs to be a shirt collar rather than a polo collar, but reinterpreting it as a true piece of knitwear rather than a shirt limited what they can do as far as screen-accurate details go. The sweater they made looks great, and it's certainly an accessible piece, but I would have been more excited if it were more like Roger's shirt. I may try to have a replica made of it some day in a non-black colour.

Gymkata wrote:

That one and the dark blue linen shirt (also from TB) are really the only ones that I might get, especially at the current pricing.

These are great:

https://us.masonandsons.com/collections … ve-shirt-1

HalfMonk HalfHitman wrote:
Gymkata wrote:

That one and the dark blue linen shirt (also from TB) are really the only ones that I might get, especially at the current pricing.

These are great:

https://us.masonandsons.com/collections … ve-shirt-1

They are indeed! One cautionary note: the sleeves are much narrower than you might expect. If you have skinny biceps you’re okay. I exchanged a large for an extra large and my gorilla arms still lost circulation. I had to reluctantly sell mine.

emtiem wrote:

As they don't seem to be too bothered about screen-accurate, I might well buy a recreation of the awesome Lotus 007 crew jackets from FYEO! I love them ajb007/smile

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/5caed8960cf57d49530e8c60/1572106085973-TQXOS3QKOFGU5Q4F09K9/ke17ZwdGBToddI8pDm48kH12H_EdUeZY-Tvv_svcNx9Zw-zPPgdn4jUwVcJE1ZvWQUxwkmyExglNqGp0IvTJZamWLI2zvYWH8K3-s_4yszcp2ryTI0HqTOaaUohrI8PI4AEFf-Jlj0yHs2ru3Hd-GQga4EnrFO4bxXsJo1lTp14KMshLAGzx4R3EDFOm1kBS/art-mg-lotusespritturbofyeo4.jpg

Would love to find one of these or something close.

"Any of the opposition around..?"

absolutely mate , possibly more NTTD pickings to spend on  ajb007/lol
Still waiting for the TB shirt

Meesta Bawnd wrote:

I agree, Chris. Probably going for the Moonraker, possibly the blue Thunderball. I like the FYEO t shirt, but will save my pennies in case N Peal spring another collection for us blokes later this year. The quality is higher, but the prices are similar.

chriscollins007 wrote:

Not going to add anymore, you guys summoned it all up.
However I Was looking forward to the FYEO tshirt, liked the look and colour but yeah that price is mad.
Maybe Ob thought after the last collection went so well, they would go more luxury in cost  ajb007/insane
Might plunge for the moonraker but not now, i'll see in the winter.

007 reporting for duty

Just saw a video review of the Harrington jacket.... I was planning to buy it.... not anymore

Matt S wrote:
JTM wrote:
Miles Messervy wrote:

Roger's shirt is a proper shirt made of a cotton or cotton/poly jersey knit. It is constructed like a shirt rather than a polo, so it can take a large collar. OB went the more accessible approach of making it a wool polo-sweater. It's an entirely different type of piece that wouldn't work with a larger collar. For a collar that large it needs to be a shirt collar rather than a polo collar, but reinterpreting it as a true piece of knitwear rather than a shirt limited what they can do as far as screen-accurate details go. The sweater they made looks great, and it's certainly an accessible piece, but I would have been more excited if it were more like Roger's shirt. I may try to have a replica made of it some day in a non-black colour.

I guess my point was that OB didn’t bother themselves with making accessible pieces last time around. Instead, they went for it with multiple terry cloth pieces and some other daring things like the AVTAK track jacket. Nothing in this collection feels as unique or special as some of those items. As a fan of Bond style, and of OB independently, surely I am the target audience?

The Red Kind wrote:
emtiem wrote:

Would love to find one of these or something close.

Something close would be okay, but I'd really want the massive logos on it!

I saw a hipster sort of guy wearing one in London once, I wondered if he'd picked it up from a charity shop or something as it has that kind of retro cool to it. I reckon it'd be worth loads of money though!